With 4% market share, Apple's iPhone rakes in 52% of mobile profits

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I agree with you. I'd add Cadilac to the list of American products that are terrible designs over the years yet amazingly the name itself is used here to denote quality the way Rolls Royce is. Compare any Cadilac in history with say a BMW or Mercedes from the same era, it is quite a comical exercise.

Hey, thanks for the transatlantic perspective, as always.
  • Reply 82 of 101
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

it's a bad way to make coffee.

Why is a Silex Vacuum Pot a bad way to make coffee?
  • Reply 83 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Indeed, that is crap.

They don't use sugar, they use HFCS. If they used sugar, anyone who drinks it would be HEALTHIER.

I cut out HFCS from my fluid intake two years ago.

Now I'm limited to water, milk, 100% juice (various companies? you have to watch, though), and Throwback Mountain Dew and Jones soda.

And I wouldn't trade it for anything. I can't even drink stuff with HFCS in it anymore. It's too dang thick.

Drink the Coke imported from Mexico, they use real sugar not HFCS.
  • Reply 84 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Not sure about the last one anymore (at least on a monthly basis, I believe Android app downloads have surpassed iOS). The *list* is looking sillier and sillier by the second.

All this just goes to show you how things change. Anyone who complacently predicts Apple will dominate forever would probably fail to find a single historical example as backup.

Ummm again Coke, they have always been the number 1 beverage, and just recently do you know whats number 2? Not Pepsi, but Diet Coke.
  • Reply 85 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Drink the Coke imported from Mexico, they use real sugar not HFCS.

Oh, sure, absolutely, but I'm not in Texas nor near somewhere that's available.

I like Jones, anyway, and I don't really drink soda very often at all. You'd be surprised how fulfilling a fluid intake of exclusively water and milk can be, though I'd imagine it's not for everyone.

Love a good orange juice, though. True stuff, not diluted.
  • Reply 86 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Why is a Silex Vacuum Pot a bad way to make coffee?

A better question: Why won't the Italians, the French, the Spanish, ever come up with something like an iPhone?

Answer: They're too busy enjoying their coffee at the cafe, where there are no such swill machines.
  • Reply 87 of 101

1936 Cord

• Reply 88 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

1936 Cord

Sorry, too fat, over decorated, overweight, overwrought. Are you toying with me?

It may be beautiful and well made, but not a mass consumer product. Apple is doing stuff for ordinary people, not movie stars and Jay Gatsby types. This is anyway the point I thought I was making, besides the mediocrity point that Christopher126 was making.

The French were doing the same thing in the 30s as Cord and Deusenberg on the high end with the Delahayes and such.

The "deep simplicity" ideas of Jobs and Ive were stirring in the 30s in Germany, and only showed up automotively in the VW, late 30s, derived somewhat from Ludwinka's Tatras. Integrity in design has to include absence of hubris, seems to me. Bucky Fuller was also talking (1940s?) about things being overweight and unsustainably designed, and he was visible to Jobs via The Whole Earth Catalog, for instance.

Hate to be so tiresome about this, but you youngsters (kidding) don't seem to realize the break with history that Apple represents, and what it could mean for global balance of payments in the future. Not to mention a new aesthetic era. They always get a name, like "Baroque" or "Neoclassical." What they goin' to call this one?
  • Reply 89 of 101
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

1936 Cord

Sweet!
  • Reply 90 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Hate to be so tiresome about this, but you youngsters (kidding) don't seem to realize the break with history that Apple represents, and what it could mean for global balance of payments in the future. Not to mention a new aesthetic era. They always get a name, like "Baroque" or "Neoclassical." What they goin' to call this one?

What name do you propose? Please don't say iJobsian.
  • Reply 91 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

MacMan!

Wait?
  • Reply 92 of 101
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Ummm again Coke, they have always been the number 1 beverage, and just recently do you know whats number 2? Not Pepsi, but Diet Coke.

You're absolutely right, of course. I am loath to lump Coke in the same discussion as Apple, and am tempted to argue that it is a different situation because Coca Cola dominates by marketing, distribution, etc., rather than product innovation. But in the context of what I wrote, you're right. And I guess we can add Nike, McDonalds and Microsoft to that list as well, even if the history of MS is far shorter.

The business(es) that Apple is in remains different. But as I said, in the context of what I wrote, I stand corrected.
  • Reply 93 of 101
    Quote:

Ivian? But they never name these ages or styles after people, do they? We had Bauhaus and Craftsman . . . Impressionism . . . Surrealism . . . Beat . . . psychedelic . . . I don't know . . . why me? Gimme a few days, or weeks, or . . .
  • Reply 94 of 101
    Quote:

MacMan!

Wait?

I don't get it.
  • Reply 95 of 101
    Quote:

I don't get it.

Steve Jobs' original name for the iMac. Or so they say.

It's not impossible. He wanted to call the Macintosh 128k the Bicycle.
  • Reply 96 of 101
    Quote:

Oh yeah, that's right.

Anyway, there's a precedent in "Victorian" -- so what if she was queen -- so I'm going to toss "Jivean" out there and see how it sticks. Or slides.
  • Reply 97 of 101
    Quote:

?I'm go to toss "Jivian" out there and see how it sticks.

I think it?

? jives pretty well with me.

*pause for groaning*
  • Reply 98 of 101
    Quote:

I think it…

… jives pretty well with me.

*pause for groaning*

Aha, Barbara Billingsley would dig it. My old pal Norman Gibbs was the other one, sitting there with Wilt.

edit: Would have dug it, that is, since she's no longer with us.
  • Reply 99 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Jobs really fell short when it came to naming products. Glad he deferred to others on this front.
  • Reply 100 of 101
    Quote:

Jobs really fell short when it came to naming products. Glad he deferred to others on this front.

Ah yes, after coming up with Apple, where could you go but downhill? Something about the second album, etc.