Google Chairman Eric tells US senators Apple's Siri could pose 'competitive threat'

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 232
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Best suggestion since he joined AI

I think he also joined under the name MacTripper in a previous life but I like this new name.
  • Reply 222 of 232
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 223 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

That meme has already been addressed.

1. Not a meme.

2. That is in no way definitive.
  • Reply 224 of 232
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    It's a slippery slope.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=stelligent;1982781]To all those accusing Google of copying Apple, consider this:

Did Apple copy Google (and many others) by entering the Cloud computing field?

? What this makes absolutely no sense..."The Cloud" idea has been around a while, Apple did it's version of that UNIVERSAL idea, How can you stop someone from building server related services?

Did Apple copy Google with its iOS5 notification scheme?

Seems Google has no patents on notifications...I wonder who they borrowed it from?

Did Apple copy Google by adding speech recognition (even if they executed it better)?

No, because speech recognition is not Googles idea & has been around for years. Apple has had some sort of speak rec. in it's products for years, even before Google was Google. Siri is something completely different than speech recognition.

What is original about the whole Android concept/package, the big idea? Nothing. Tossing a few features on to something is not the same thing as a paradigm shifting grand idea. You seem to want to compare a snowflake to an avalanche & tell everybody that they are the same thing.
  • Reply 225 of 232
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

You logged back in just to add that?

Tip: You can only win one outstanding achievement award per year.

Having already made such proud contributions, you can relax now and save your vocabulary for 2012.

Oh you're keeping a score? How sweet.
  • Reply 226 of 232
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't discuss (or need to justify) my vote with anyone... Secret ballot!

...but I reserve the right to question anyone seeking my vote!

Exactly my point - question in advance of casting your ballot, once the outcome of the election is announced, live with it. No one asked for you to disclose your vote.
  • Reply 227 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

It's a slippery slope.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

To all those accusing Google of copying Apple, consider this:

? What this makes absolutely no sense..."The Cloud" idea has been around a while, Apple did it's version of that UNIVERSAL idea, How can you stop someone from building server related services?

Seems Google has no patents on notifications...I wonder who they borrowed it from?

Did Apple copy Google by adding speech recognition (even if they executed it better)?

No, because speech recognition is not Googles idea & has been around for years. Apple has had some sort of speak rec. in it's products for years, even before Google was Google. Siri is something completely different than speech recognition.

What is original about the whole Android concept/package, the big idea? Nothing. Tossing a few features on to something is not the same thing as a paradigm shifting grand idea. You seem to want to compare a snowflake to an avalanche & tell everybody that they are the same thing.

Oh c'mon. Slippery slope my ass. You could easily say:

Did Google copy Windows Mobile with the phone app?

Did Google copy Windows Mobile with cut-copy-paste?

Did Google copy Windows Mobile with multitasking?

Did Google copy Apple with its revolutionary capacitive multitouch UI?

Did Google copy Linux by literally forking Linux to make Android?

Did Google copy Yahoo! with its Internet search engine (even if they executed it better)?

Did Google copy Sun/Oracle with its Java-ish VM, Dalvik?
  • Reply 228 of 232
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 229 of 232
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh c'mon. Slippery slope my ass. You could easily say:

Did Google copy Windows Mobile with the phone app?

Did Google copy Windows Mobile with cut-copy-paste?

Did Google copy Windows Mobile with multitasking?

Did Google copy Apple with its revolutionary capacitive multitouch UI?

Did Google copy Linux by literally forking Linux to make Android?

Did Google copy Yahoo! with its Internet search engine (even if they executed it better)?

Did Google copy Sun/Oracle with its Java-ish VM, Dalvik?

What the heck did you do? 2/3 of the words you attribute to me aren't even mine.

Regardless ... We can go on all day with this but, to me, the most important thing is that it's silly to keep insisting Google only copies and does not innovate (not saying that's your premise, but many others seem to insist on this). BTW, Apple did NOT invent multitouch - capacitative or otherwise. So the question "Did Google copy Apple with its revolutionary capacitive multitouch UI?" is a non-starter.

As for "Did Google copy Sun/Oracle with its Java-ish VM, Dalvik?" The answer seems to be yes.
  • Reply 230 of 232
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

It's a slippery slope.

To all those accusing Google of copying Apple, consider this:

If you examine carefully your own words and my original questions, you will see that you have answered yourself. But first, please fix the quotes because it's leading to a mess.
  • Reply 231 of 232
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Agreed.

People are arguing over whether Google has a "monopoly" or not but ignoring the fact that true absolute monopolies rarely if ever exist. Oligarchical control is essentially the same thing. In Canada for instance there are three big cell companies that control 80-90% of the market. They are all separate companies and no one has a "monopoly," but they all have the same prices and the same plans and they all treat the customers like dogs.

Chasing after the "true monopoly" and trying to peg Google or Microsoft with that term is a hopeless and essentially useless task. All of these companies are far too big and have far too much control over our lives. They have more control that the average Government and yet no one voted them in and no one can tell them what to do.

But that's what happens when you live in an essentially fascist society. :-/

How is Apple almost getting there? It's not even close. It has higher prices than its competition and a much lower market share and is content to make it's money with a lower market share.
  • Reply 232 of 232
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

So, why is "big government" (that the citizen has some modicum of control over), a bad thing and "big corporations" (which the citizen has no control at all over), "good."

I don't really expect you to answer anything reasonable here as your comment about how we control companies "through our dollars," shows a rather complete lack of understanding about politics and economics. I'm just pointing out the giant gaping hole in your argument/ideology with the arctic wind raging through it.

I think it's hilarious you think that "we" have control over the government - the exact same forces you cite as impotence against big corporations is squared when it comes to government.

You want the shining example? In America if you vote for democrat or a republican congratulations - your part of the problem and why "we" have little control over the political process. This whole two-party system bullshit is a fabricated system that works perfectly at keeping everyone talking about trivial bullshit and not of issues of substance.

Quote:

Americans are always going on about the evils of big government but they let huge, un-elected corporations rule the country (and most of the rest of the world), essentially unchecked and without even guidelines as to how these entities are supposed to act, let alone actual rules and regulations.

Really? We have more regulations than at any other time. The US Code is so unwieldy, it's not uncommon to hear lawyers who deal with it every day comment that it's probably illegal to cross the street in there somewhere.

We have MORE than enough regulations. Now, if you want to argue we don't have enough enforcement or oversight - on that I will wholeheartedly agree.

But again this class warfare bullshit of "corporations" evil and "government" good (or vice versa) is counter-productive. Corporations and governments are both creations of men. As long as people are involved, they will be imperfect and flawed and therefor should be monitored.

The problem is that takes actually paying attention, possibly getting out of your comfort zone getting involved and not just buying off on the soundbite or label. There are tons of keyboard jockey's like on these forums that are willing to pontificate about these subjects and pretend to be smarter than they are - but unless you are hitting the pavement, trying to educate and sway people to pay attention your just flapping in the wind and as much a problem as that which you criticize.

Quote:

Americans are always also going on about "freedom" and letting the people decide what they want to do for themselves, but individual american citizens have demonstrably fewer freedoms than European or Canadian citizens, and no protection at all from corporate "mega-citizens who actually enjoy more rights and freedoms than the people themselves.

And who's fault is that? History - indeed, American history in particular, has proven that the people have the power. What I want to know is when are the American people going to wake up, reject the bullshit two parties and move in a new direction for real and sincere change? And no, crap like "occupy wall street" isn't the answer - its the same old establishment BS disguised as counter-culture. Counter culture to me was the civil rights movement - occupy wall street are a bunch of anarchists and media whores with quite a few liberal shills sprinkled in...

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain indeed (excellent movie that was on the other night and I caught the end of...)