Google Chairman Eric tells US senators Apple's Siri could pose 'competitive threat'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Can you elaborate on the "whatnot"? The friendship between Jobs and Wolfram is well reported. I'm curious about how intertwined Siri and WolframAlpha are.

Sure, I think I can.

Well, I would imagine all conversions are Wolfram|Alpha from what I've seen of the ads?

All of the definitions are through them, too. Also, any relationships between objects. And, obviously, complex math. And abstract concepts. And acronyms. And jokes. And illegal crap. And also stuff that can't really be accurate.

Please excuse any and all language on all of those, particularly the name of the site?
  • Reply 102 of 232
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is a pretty cool thermostat. $249 is a bit pricey unless you just like fancy gadgets. It might save enough to break even if you spend a lot on heating or cooling. BTW your idea about adjusting dampers to create zones is exactly how conventional HVAC works in commercial and large residential installations. You don't need a sepate A/C unit for each zone.

1) I think it looks promising enough that it could save you money in the long term. Even a savings of just $5/month is $60/year which is paying off the device in little over 5 years. That seems like a lowball savings if you currently don't have a programmable thermosat or simply don't program your thermostat at all or well.

2) Yeah, that's what I was getting it. I'm glad to hear these are becoming more common in residential units but I still see basic, single or dual air handlers in even upscale residential spaces.
  • Reply 103 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure, I think I can.

Well, I would imagine all conversions are Wolfram|Alpha from what I've seen of the ads…

All of the definitions are through them, too. Also, any relationships between objects. And, obviously, complex math. And abstract concepts. And acronyms. And jokes. And illegal crap. And also stuff that can't really be accurate.

Please excuse any and all language on all of those, particularly the name of the site…

Nie post but I didn't see proof on many of the images that they were from W-A. I'll query Siri to verify the source...

edit: Yep, all from W-A. The only thing about Siri using Google is Maps... for the time being.
  • Reply 104 of 232
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I think looks promising enough that it could save you money in the long term. Even a savings of just $5/month is $60/year which is paying off the device in little over 5 years. That seems like a lowball savings if you currently don't have a programmable thermosat or simply don't program your thermostat at all or well.

Agreed. It wouldn't do me any good though as I only use A/C once or twice a year. Same with heat. I really shouldn't mention it but that's the main reason I chose to move to SoCal. But none of you should get the wrong idea and move here. We have earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, gangs, smog, traffic jams, high taxes, outrageous housing costs etc. Please stay where you are.
  • Reply 105 of 232
    Quote:

Agreed. It wouldn't do me any good though as I only use A/C once or twice a year. Same with heat. I really shouldn't mention it but that's the main reason I chose to move to SoCal. But none of you should get the wrong idea and move here. We have earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, gangs, smog, traffic jams, high taxes, outrageous housing costs etc. Please stay where you are.

And heavy rain and hail this past week. You didn't use your heat the last few nights?
  • Reply 106 of 232
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And heavy rain and hail this past week. You didn't use your heat the last few nights?

Nope. My house is super well insulted..
  • Reply 107 of 232
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

That is a pretty cool thermostat. $249 is a bit pricey unless you just like fancy gadgets. It might save enough to break even if you spend a lot on heating or cooling. BTW your idea about adjusting dampers to create zones is exactly how conventional HVAC works in commercial and large residential installations. You don't need a sepate A/C unit for each zone.

Well, it's not like something you'll be buying every year, or anything.
  • Reply 108 of 232
    . . . let me get this straight. Schmidt is complaining that someone with no search experience is entering their core business and may take share? It's almost like someone with no phone experience entering Apple's new core business and taking share. The only thing that could be worse is if Steve Jobs had sat on Google's board.

Hypocrisy, thy name is Eric. What a dick this guy is.
  • Reply 109 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So far, Google is using Siri to serve their purpose by trotting it out in front of anti-trust regulators. Picture Alfred E. Neuman as Eric Schmidt saying: "What, me search monopoly?"

Hello, I'm Eric Schmidt... What, me search monopoly?

Created on my iPad!

• Reply 110 of 232
    Quote:

You forgot to mention... Governor Moonbeam *

* not created on my iPad!

• Reply 111 of 232
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,201member
    Sorry, Schmidt, potential future threats to Google's current monopoly don't matter today. Whenever you've got a monopoly, it needs oversight and must obey the rules.
  • Reply 112 of 232
    Try copying that, Eric.
  • Reply 113 of 232
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

. . . let me get this straight. Schmidt is complaining that someone with no search experience is entering their core business and may take share? It's almost like someone with no phone experience entering Apple's new core business and taking share.

It's like the Yankees taking legal action against Baltimore because they just signed a great hitter.

Or Google offering unlimited free email accounts in the face of pay what others can afford to offer?

I'm confused. The only thing that is clear to me is that Schmidt must be seriously worried to override whatever concern he may have had about Google and himself coming off like a completely unsympathetic character in this story.
  • Reply 114 of 232
    Google has always been just another Microsoft. They can't invent anything, they just steal the resources around them and throw their money at it. Companies that can't think for themselves never stay around.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

. . . let me get this straight. Schmidt is complaining that someone with no search experience is entering their core business and may take share? It's almost like someone with no phone experience entering Apple's new core business and taking share. The only thing that could be worse is if Steve Jobs had sat on Google's board.

Hypocrisy, thy name is Eric. What a dick this guy is.

• Reply 115 of 232
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Google search is great

Gmail is Great

Chrome is Great

Android is totally stolen

that's how google does business...some great and some stole products.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Surprisingly civil discussion so far involving the Anti-Chri...I mean Google...sorry I get confused when I come on these boards...

You'd swear sometimes that Google supported Osama. -_-

Anywho, I don't see how Google is in violation of Anti-Trust laws.

Buzz probably as you were automatically enrolled in that craptastic attempt at a social network simply by having Gmail.

But I was never forced to join any of their services except that.

The only thing they do is create more products that compete in more markets and try and expand their business...

Not unlike Apple.

Like with tablets, mp3 players, computers, phones, TV boxes, and probably TVs in the future you are free to buy another item. If Apple is what you prefer then you buy it.

Like someone said if Apple forced you to have a Mac in order to use other Apple products then they'd have a problem.

I don't need Gmail, G+, Youtube, etc to use search (or any other item)

I don't see how they are in violation but I'm not that savvy on the laws at play.

• Reply 116 of 232
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Google has its fingers in so many pies that who knows what it is.

Google is a One Trick Pony.
  • Reply 117 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Google is a One Trick Pony.

Google is a one trick pony that frequently enters itself into dog shows, Master's economics courses, BASE jumping exhibitions, yachting clubs, model rocket competitions, and TV chef dramas?
  • Reply 118 of 232
    Lets keep in mind that Eric Schmidt attended the 2011 BilderBerg Meeting

Here is a quick rundown of who BilderBerg Group is

http://www.jeremiahproject.com/newwo...nworder04.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Eric Schmidt, Google's chairman and former chief executive, admitted to the U.S. Senate antitrust subcommittee that Apple's new Siri personal assistant technology is a "significant development" in search and could pose a threat to his company's core business.

The comments came in the form of a statement to the subcommittee in response to questions from the senators after a hearing in September, as noted by Neowin.net. Schmidt's remarks, however, may be best taken with a grain of salt, as letter's objective is clearly to downplay Google's prominence, while highlighting its competitors.

The executive took special care to call out Siri as a new development that might supplant Google's search engine.

"Even in the few weeks since the hearing, Apple has launched an entirely new approach to search technology with Siri, its voice-activated search and task-completion service built into the iPhone 4S," he wrote.

Schmidt even went so far as to cite two publications for calling Siri a "Google killer" and Apple's "entry point" into the search engine business.

In the letter, Schmidt backpedaled from a previous statement in September 2010 where he had denied that Apple and Facebook were a "competitive threat."

"My statement was clearly wrong," he said. "Apple?s Siri is a significant development?a voice-activated means of accessing answers through iPhones that demonstrates the innovations in search."

"Google has many strong competitors and we sometimes fail to anticipate the competitive threat posed by new methods of accessing information," Schmidt added, noting that Google competes against search engines (Microsoft's Bing, Yahoo!), specialized search engines (Kayak, Amazon, WebMD, eBay), social networks (Facebook, Twitter), commercial software companies (Apple, Microsoft), mobile apps and direct navigation.

Apple unveiled Siri in October as a prominent new feature of the iPhone 4S. The software, which Apple originally purchased in 2010, is currently in beta, though, and has experienced some embarrassing outages in the first weeks of usage.

In what could be considered a confusing mixed message from Google executives, Android chief Andy Rubin dismissed Siri last month. He said he doesn't believe that phones should be assistants and doubted whether people should communicate with their phones.

To the disappointment of those who readily declare Android as a dominant winner, Schmidt denied in his letter that Google has a "dominant position in the smartphone market." He cited a recent study from research group comScore as saying that "Android operates on only 34.1 percent while Apple?s iOS runs on 43.1 percent."

In fact, his comment is misleading, as comScore's figures relate to the whole mobile and connected device market. The actual report noted that Android does have the highest share in the smartphone market, with 43.7 percent in August. That difference is largely due to the fact that Apple has an unchallenged lead in the tablet market, as Android tablets have failed to gain much traction.

Schmidt also downplayed Google's role in the search engine market, instead attributing it to hard work and luck.

"I would disagree that Google is dominant," he said after senators asserted that Google is approaching a monopoly. "By investing smartly, hiring extremely talented engineers, and working very, very hard (and with some good luck), Google has been blessed with a great deal of success."

For their part, senators maintain that Google's 65 percent market share of all U.S. Internet searches, 94 percent share of the European market, and 97 percent share of all smartphone searches give it substantial market power that approaches a monopoly.

• Reply 119 of 232
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Is it illegal to win in the US now? What a strange place.

How hilarious to hear 'open' google defenders begging for a world without choice.

Ok,I'll put into terms a 4 year old can understand.

With monopoly status, google can manipulate results to show only those from which they profit.

Kinda like thryre already doing, and for which they're being investigated.
  • Reply 120 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Google is way too big. Take it apart with a crowbar. Apple's just about there, too. An unregulated corporation is to humanity what a flaming chain saw is to a five-year-old.

No corporation should ever be allowed to even approach a government in terms of power and wealth. Corporate boards don't sit general elections and corporate meetings are held in secret. While they're allegedly responsible to their stockholders, given that a tiny portion of the populace trades nearly all the stock, "stockholder" is nothing a euphemism for "oligarch," and in practice, multinational corporations are seldom held responsible for anything.

Particularly in a country where it's legal, cheap, and accepted for corporate money to openly buy Congressman a six-pack at a time, the whole notion of responsibility would resemble a farce by Moliere, but for the complete absence of wit.

Agreed.

People are arguing over whether Google has a "monopoly" or not but ignoring the fact that true absolute monopolies rarely if ever exist. Oligarchical control is essentially the same thing. In Canada for instance there are three big cell companies that control 80-90% of the market. They are all separate companies and no one has a "monopoly," but they all have the same prices and the same plans and they all treat the customers like dogs.

Chasing after the "true monopoly" and trying to peg Google or Microsoft with that term is a hopeless and essentially useless task. All of these companies are far too big and have far too much control over our lives. They have more control that the average Government and yet no one voted them in and no one can tell them what to do.

But that's what happens when you live in an essentially fascist society. :-/