Barnes & Noble to take on Kindle Fire, iPad with new $250 Nook Tablet

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techboy View Post


    I agreed with this as well. Apple will not be interested in competing for lower profit margin market anyway. Apple refused to release and compete in low-end desktop computers for the same reason.



    You seem to have forgotten the iPhone market. Apple has no problem selling an 8 GB iPhone for 100 bucks and the iPhone 3GS for free. It seems that Apple is doing quite well trying to grab the low end for small profit margins.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post




    The 7" market will be owned by the Fire and the Nook.



    If the companies that own them survive their ownership of it.



    I predict that prices will be raised dramatically on both, within a year. And, the pricing of their 10" model -- if it were to see the light of day -- won't be anything similar.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


    You seem to have forgotten the iPhone market. Apple has no problem selling an 8 GB iPhone for 100 bucks and the iPhone 3GS for free. It seems that Apple is doing quite well trying to grab the low end for small profit margins.



    Hey, lamewing, I'd like you to try and get them for "free."



    If you know: (i) arithmetic; and (ii) contracts, I mean....
  • Reply 44 of 65
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    That is a profound observation!



    I wonder how that (and the new Nook) affect Amazon's plans for a larger screen version of the Fire.



    Since the first iPad was announced, I've had this thought that it could deliver on the promise of OTPC/OLPC (One Tablet/Laptop Per Child).



    The capabilities are certainly there in the iPad -- but the price isn't there yet!



    Various attempts have been made to deliver on the OTPC/OLPC -- but none have delivered in any quantity or met their price goals.





    Here's a concept tablet for 2011, then 2012...













    And here are the totals of OLPC deployments:









    and the Wiki writeup



    One Laptop per Child





    We aren't there yet... but I believe there will be a technology/price solution to this promise within 2 years.







    there will likely be tablets equivalent to today's Nook Tablet hardware and basic OS for just $100 in two or three years, but lacking an ecosystem. that's where the real "added value" of the future will always be. at some point the cutting edge hardware of one generation always becomes trivial at a fraction of the price eventually. look at the original iPod - just 10 years old!



    who would write the software for OLPC? who would localize it for 100 or more differenent global cultures? and adapt it as needed for dialects and subcultures? that's the biggest challenge.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,483member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Fragmentation is not primarily an issue "from the user's point of view"; it's a problem from the developers point of view, so new forks of Android will increase fragmentation, unless developers don't bother attempting to support it.



    Also, "from the user's point of view", isn't Amazon claiming that apps from their Android marketplace will run on the Fire? (I could be mistaken about that.) If that's the case, then it is an issue "from the user's point of view".



    As I understand it Kindle Fire doesn't run the Android Marktetplace. They are treating it like an entirely new platform. Which means that Kindle Fire is not more fragmenting Android anymore than WebOS fragmented Android.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post


    As I understand it Kindle Fire doesn't run the Android Marktetplace. They are treating it like an entirely new platform. Which means that Kindle Fire is not more fragmenting Android anymore than WebOS fragmented Android.



    I think this argument keeps going around in circles because 'compete with' and 'fragments' are being treated as totally different. IMHO they mean the same thing in this context. None of these devices are taking anything away from iPad sales they are however giving more choices to the non iPad buyers hence 'fragment' and 'compete' although semantically different have the same result.
  • Reply 47 of 65
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    Is the 7" tablet really more optimal for reading than the iPad?



    Over time, I wonder if it might turn into a hardcover vs. paperback comparison.



    Without question it is. I have an iPad, but I also bought a 7" Android tablet specifically to use as an eReader. Not only is it closer to a paperback as you mentioned, but it's also a lot easier to cart around and to use in cramped spaces. If Apple made a 7" iPad, I'd buy one right away, even if it was the same price as the 10" ones.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post


    there will likely be tablets equivalent to today's Nook Tablet hardware and basic OS for just $100 in two or three years, but lacking an ecosystem. that's where the real "added value" of the future will always be. at some point the cutting edge hardware of one generation always becomes trivial at a fraction of the price eventually. look at the original iPod - just 10 years old!



    who would write the software for OLPC? who would localize it for 100 or more differenent global cultures? and adapt it as needed for dialects and subcultures? that's the biggest challenge.



    For the moment, leaving geo-politic realities aside, I have always believed that the promise of OTPC/OLPC is much more that just giving each child a computer and a connection to the outside world.



    Something like giving the community a means of employment, the members of that community a way to learn to, then make: an honest, dependable, living.



    I am going to use Apple here, as an example, because I believe they are best poised to provide a solution.



    What if Apple, to qualifiers:



    -- offered the iPad, in quantity, at cost

    -- offered to setup manufacturing/assembly/distribution, whenever possible, in those communities/countries

    -- offered, at cost the supporting hardware (routers, computers, etc.)

    -- offered a mechanism to perform app development on the iPad and/or on the support hardware

    -- offered education, training, app sales, app distribution through Apple's existing ecosystem



    So, to your questions "who would write..." and "who would localize..." and "who would adapt..."...



    I would add: who will build... who will distribute... who will train... who will earn a job... who will provide jobs...



    Hopefully, the answers to these questions are the same individuals and communities that receive the OTPC/OLPC product... and they exploit the opportunities that come with it.



  • Reply 49 of 65
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    ...

    I predict that prices will be raised dramatically on both, within a year...



    That's a bold prediction. Do you expect they will sell that well?
  • Reply 50 of 65
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post


    Steve Jobs said that the 7 inch form factor does not work for tablets



    After having read many books using the iPad I tend to agree because even with the 10 inch screen I still find it a little bit too small. I find myself zooming in to read the sentences on occaisons- I imagine on the nook and the kindle fire it will be even worse. DOA



    15 inch widescreen for me, thanks, with a good DAC too.





  • Reply 51 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post


    That's a bold prediction. Do you expect they will sell that well?



    Good question. I think they will sell very well for non-iPad tablets but I don't think there prices to go anywhere except down, and only the Nook Color is at risk of moving. It's just too hard to move a product upward in price and not lose customers over it.



    I would even say at least Amazon is planning a ~10" model that will be priced under the iPad once the 7" Kindle Fire gets a decent foothold.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    ... Since the first iPad was announced, I've had this thought that it could deliver on the promise of OTPC/OLPC (One Tablet/Laptop Per Child).



    The capabilities are certainly there in the iPad -- but the price isn't there yet!



    Various attempts have been made to deliver on the OTPC/OLPC -- but none have delivered in any quantity or met their price goals.





    Here's a concept tablet for 2011, then 2012...













    ...



    The One Laptop Per Child project has been an abject failure on almost every front.



    These pie-in-the-sky renders being passed off as "concepts" is only the most obvious indicator of the level of detachment from reality those in support of it enjoy.



    It fails as "widgets" to use your term, but it also fails on the base ideological level. To this day, no one at the project can really answer the base question which is *WHY* does giving free crappy laptops to developing nations make any real difference?



    IMO it's a vague, poorly thought out effort that has undefined goals and is based on crappy product designs coupled with shaky ideology.



    It's been far more successful politically, than practically.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecurious View Post


    The original title of the article in Appleinsider says: "Barnes & Noble to take on Kindle Fire, iPad with new $250 Nook Tablet". However, nowhere in the article content can be inferred that, in fact, is quite the opposite.



    You signed up just to say that?



    What part of APPLE Insider don't you understand?



    Welcome to the forum!



  • Reply 54 of 65
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Hey, lamewing, I'd like you to try and get them for "free."



    If you know: (i) arithmetic; and (ii) contracts, I mean....



    Yeah - and probably thinks that if he buys one Android phone, he gets one "free".





    There ain't no such thing as a "free" Android phone.
  • Reply 55 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post


    That's a bold prediction. Do you expect they will sell that well?



    Yes, I think so. And some of it will expand the market, some of it will kill off the other Android tablets, and some of it will come from current and potential future iPad owners.



    But that will also be their bane.....
  • Reply 56 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    Yeah - and probably thinks that if he buys one Android phone, he gets one "free".





    There ain't no such thing as a "free" Android phone.



    Who told you there was? What the heck are you even talking about?



    Go away and bother someone else.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    Yeah - and probably thinks that if he buys one Android phone, he gets one "free".





    There ain't no such thing as a "free" Android phone.



    You pay the same monthly rate whether you sign up for a contract or not.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post


    You pay the same monthly rate whether you sign up for a contract or not.



    this will piss some people off.

    You do, but with the iPhone apparently being so much easier to use than Android-based devices (how else can you explain the data usage comparisons) to the resale value of the device it would seem the iPhone isn't just the best device to use but also has the lowest TCO for a modern smartphone with a data plan.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post


    As I understand it Kindle Fire doesn't run the Android Marktetplace. They are treating it like an entirely new platform. Which means that Kindle Fire is not more fragmenting Android anymore than WebOS fragmented Android.



    Not the Google Android Marketplace, Amazon's Android app market.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    Quote:

    Speaking with USA Today, Lynch said that he doesn't view Apple's iPad as a direct competitor. Instead, he believes people will buy both an iPad and a Nook Tablet.



    That's some shrewd and prudent marketing.
Sign In or Register to comment.