South Korean carriers flooded with 200K one-day iPhone 4S pre-orders

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Besides a vastly new improved camera, a new revolutionary voice recognition system and personal assistant (SIRI) that has Google shitting their pants, a new dual core CPU and improved GPU that is far more powerful than the previous iPhone, an improved antenna system and 1080p HD video recording, there's hardly any difference at all.

There were plenty of other upgrades that just aren't easy to discuss. I think AnandTech revealed at least three upgrades to the RAM.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alex3917 View Post

Google isn't at all threatened by SIRI. The only reason they are pretending to be is so that the DOJ will let them get away with having a monopoly.

So you're arguing that 1) Eric Schmidt outright lied to the DoJ and 2) has a monopoly with Google, a monopoly that you feel required Schmidt to lie to an anti-trust committee.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

It's the opinion of the majority of civilized society.

You are in no position to speak for the majority of civilized society. It is merely a silly rule that PC people live by, and by PC I don't mean people who use Windows operating systems. I never signed up for any fascist PC rules and I am under no obligation to abide by such silliness.

What is a fact is that there are various trolls who infest and frequent these forums and Fandroids will continue to be made fun of until the end of time, or until they disappear.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Quote:

This time, you have a point.

This time
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Don't include me.

Language can be hurtful and the word "retarded" has evolved into a pejorative term (that it wasn't originally), so personally I avoid using it if I can help it. However ...

What's worse is people who think that all offence and bad language should be edited out of the English language and human interaction.

I find the fact that you actually typed "*re@#$%ed*" instead of "retarded" just shocking.

Swearing is a perfectly normal, healthy part of life, and people can and do say offensive things all the time. I would save your anger and outrage for battles that really matter. There are a lot worse words than "retarded."

Seconded.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So you're arguing that 1) Eric Schmidt outright lied to the DoJ and 2) has a monopoly with Google, a monopoly that you feel required Schmidt to lie to an anti-trust committee.

That doesn't follow. There's a third option - that Google does have a monopoly in the legal sense, but Apple offers some competition.

After all, even when MS was found to have a Windows monopoly, Mac OS was around.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

It's the opinion of the majority of civilized society.

After you look up alliteration, look up Argumentum ad populum.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

There are a lot worse words than "retarded."

I actually have a friend who has a severely mentally disabled brother. I would never call my friend's brother a retard, because he has more intelligence than some of the Fandroids and Apple haters who are here. I'm also pretty sure that the severely mentally disabled brother of my friend could accurately predict that a product like the iPad would be an enormous success and not a flop.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That doesn't follow. There's a third option - that Google does have a monopoly in the legal sense, but Apple offers some competition.

After all, even when MS was found to have a Windows monopoly, Mac OS was around.

I agree with what you say but the OP didn't allow that to be an option. I'd say that last week's comment of the Google executive pooh-poohing Siri was the lie, not Schmidt's words to the DoJ. Siri doesn't use any of Google's services except mapping which we know Apple is working on replacing.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

You're just introducing bias.

Why do you assume that the market penetration for cell phones is less in South Korea? It might be higher for all you know.

Wha? I AM assuming it's higher. That wasn't obvious?
  • Reply 30 of 46
    I remember so well when the iPhone first came out in 2007 and how so many know-it-alls and pundits were saying that the iPhone would never sell in significant numbers in Korea because they said that the Korean feature-phones were so superior to the iPhone. How that has changed in a couple of years. I think more Korean consumers would purchase smartphones, but the carriers are messing with their services by keep content proprietary. \
  • Reply 31 of 46
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

Don't include me.

Language can be hurtful and the word "retarded" has evolved into a pejorative term (that it wasn't originally), so personally I avoid using it if I can help it. However ...

What's worse is people who think that all offence and bad language should be edited out of the English language and human interaction.

I find the fact that you actually typed "*re@#$%ed*" instead of "retarded" just shocking.

Swearing is a perfectly normal, healthy part of life, and people can and do say offensive things all the time. I would save your anger and outrage for battles that really matter. There are a lot worse words than "retarded."

Shocking? You shock more easily than I become offended.

Indeed people, including myself, say and do offensive things all the time. Each individual can decide when to speak up, and the causes for which to reserve their outrage.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:

You are in no position to speak for the majority of civilized society. It is merely a silly rule that PC people live by, and by PC I don't mean people who use Windows operating systems. I never signed up for any fascist PC rules and I am under no obligation to abide by such silliness.

What is a fact is that there are various trolls who infest and frequent these forums and Fandroids will continue to be made fun of until the end of time, or until they disappear.

Until they disappear? And how's your strategy working so far?
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Quote:

I actually have a friend who has a severely mentally disabled brother. I would never call my friend's brother a retard, because he has more intelligence than some of the Fandroids and Apple haters who are here. I'm also pretty sure that the severely mentally disabled brother of my friend could accurately predict that a product like the iPad would be an enormous success and not a flop.

I was on the fence about this until reading your post. Usurping your friend's brother in this manner helped me decide. This is undoubtedly the most offensive of all statements here. Put me with the civilized majority or whatever you guys care to call it.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:

Don't include me.

IMO, there are few words as offensive as retarded. I personally do not hold back from cursing. But retard is a word reserved to target a specific minority. When it was fashionable, it was often used to intentionally belittle that minority. Fuck and asshole are fine with me. Not retard.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:

Here we go again with the high school girlish and xenophobic characterization.

Why the xenophobic characterization of high school girls?
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac'em X View Post

Why the xenophobic characterization of high school girls?

That's not what they are talking about. Stelligent is some kind of android fan and claims that the Apple devotees here are ganging up him (her?) and others. Acting like clicks of high school girls.

Generally, this can be a hostile environment, sometimes for no good reason. Thats why I mostly only read and comment very sparingly.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Yes, I understand what they're talking about… I'm saying that this particular deriding of "xenophobic characterization" unintentionally committed the same faux pas.

But anyway. Back to iPhones or whatever the topic was…
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

That's not what they are talking about. Stelligent is some kind of android fan and claims that the Apple devotees here are ganging up him (her?) and others. Acting like clicks of high school girls.

Generally, this can be a hostile environment, sometimes for no good reason. Thats why I mostly only read and comment very sparingly.

I am not an Android fanboy. I use both Apple and Android products. I just don't believe one has to hate Google in order to enjoy Apple stuff. Google is every bit as good an engineering company as Apple. They innovate at a more fundamental level. But that's a different discussion. BTW, it's clique, not click.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac'em X View Post

Yes, I understand what they're talking about… I'm saying that this particular deriding of "xenophobic characterization" unintentionally committed the same faux pas.

But anyway. Back to iPhones or whatever the topic was…

I'm describing the behavior and not trying to drive anyone out. They want to drive some members out of this forum because they don't accept alternative perspectives. Look up xenophobia in Wikipedia and this is what you'll find: "Xenophobia can manifest itself in many ways involving the relations and perceptions of an ingroup towards an outgroup, including a fear of losing identity, suspicion of its activities, aggression, and desire to eliminate its presence to secure a presumed purity." Some of them want a purely Apple-loving group here, and everyone else out. I have no such motive. So I don't think my behavior is anything like theirs.

They like to pretend to be intellectually superior. Let's face it, the next Nobel Prize winner is not hanging around in here 24/7 like some of them do. Furthermore, attacking other people's intellect using an offensive term that marginalizes a disadvantaged group in society (a group that cannot defend themselves) is behavior that needs to be admonished.

But you're right that this is getting off topic.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

IMO, there are few words as offensive as retarded. I personally do not hold back from cursing. But retard is a word reserved to target a specific minority. When it was fashionable, it was often used to intentionally belittle that minority. Fuck and asshole are fine with me. Not retard.

Someone gets it.