Adobe confirms it will no longer develop Flash for mobile browsers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

Apple chose not to go the Java route as they prefer to control the entire user experience. While this may provide positive benefits for users of IOS devices, it makes things slightly more complicated for developers.

I so strongly disagree with this. Having developed in both Java and iOS, I can tell you that developing for iOS is by far an easier solution. I have yet to see any kind of GUI that allows you to model data or create the GUI for Java that is anywhere close to Xcode.

I do understand the Java more closely resembles other languages (as far as look of syntax, and the way it handles OOP), however once you have gotten over the initial hump of learning Objective-C and why it uses the messages approach; doing the other way just seems archaic to me.
  • Reply 42 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: I guess that's one less negative mark under Cons for the iPhone and iPad when it comes time to rate them.

I didn't realize you were keeping score. What is Apple up to now? A net score of minus zero?
  • Reply 43 of 170

"Fascinating!"
  • Reply 44 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

I so strongly disagree with this. Having developed in both Java and iOS, I can tell you that developing for iOS is by far an easier solution. I have yet to see any kind of GUI that allows you to model data or create the GUI for Java that is anywhere close to Xcode.

I do understand the Java more closely resembles other languages (as far as look of syntax, and the way it handles OOP), however once you have gotten over the initial hump of learning Objective-C and why it uses the messages approach; doing the other way just seems archaic to me.

Agreed.
  • Reply 45 of 170
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I didn't realize you were keeping score. What is Apple up to now? A net score of minus zero?

This isn't is a suburban elementary school. Not everyone gets a trophy for participating. We keep score, and decided winners and losers.

Although, it seems all of Apple's competitors are getting a gold star for participating in the tablet market while Apple got berated for its original, breakthrough iPad.
  • Reply 46 of 170
    Hopefully they stop developing for the Desktop too!!
  • Reply 47 of 170
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Too bad he didn't get to see this day. It would have been interesting to hear what he would have had to say.

He said it already. It's just that nobody understood it at the time.

"OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW."
  • Reply 48 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomnryan View Post

Hopefully they stop developing for the Desktop too!!

Worst thing is that even if Adobe removes Flash from CS6 and stops making it available at all, people will still be making Flash files, games, and whatnot for the next DECADE.

The same file of Flash 11 beta will be passed around the Internet and copied ad infinitum (since Adobe will have stopped offering it for download and new computers wouldn't include it), and we'd wind up with a dirty black-markety subculture of Flash users, ever dwindling, until Flash finally dies in 2021 not with a bang, nor a whimper, but with a small, silent fart.
  • Reply 49 of 170
    Steve Jobs is in his private suite in heaven with no name on the door to keep his anonymity and he's smiling and telling himself, "I told them so." I'll always wonder what other genius things and thoughts who would've created and had in the years to come. Thanks, Steve - for everything!
  • Reply 50 of 170
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    As an Android user I will readily admit that flash on a mobile device sucks the big one.
  • Reply 51 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

Apple chose not to go the Java route as they prefer to control the entire user experience. While this may provide positive benefits for users of IOS devices, it makes things slightly more complicated for developers.

Good point. And I think that's the basis of the lawsuit - whether Davlik is Java or not. The point I was trying to make is the challenge of the Flash (or any additional) platform on iOS.
  • Reply 52 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Apple never have champion its own "technology". Apple is about open, industry standards like OpenGL, H264 and HTML5.

The infrastructure around it devices can be closed (like iPhone/iTunes), but the phones support open standards like HTML5. Anyone can create a program in HTML5 and run it on iOS devices.

So what is more opened? An "open" standard like Windows that uses DirectX or a closed standard that uses industry standards that works on every computer?(OpenGL)

Apple is all about propriety technology where it makes them profit (e.g. connector and power cables) and open standards where it will save them money (e.g. OpenGL).
  • Reply 53 of 170
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Steve Jobs is in his private suite in heaven with no name on the door to keep his anonymity and he's smiling and telling himself, "I told them so." I'll always wonder what other genius things and thoughts who would've created and had in the years to come. Thanks, Steve - for everything!

He's giving God tips on Intelligent Design telling him he needs to focus this products better starting with discontinuing the designed-by-committee platypus.

(I hope that doesn't offend anyone)
  • Reply 54 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

This might be true for the 8,497 of you "savvy consumers".

The other 120 million "savvy consumers", and growing, will never notice.

That was post was actually a joke making fun of RIM. I think 8,497 may be a bit high for Playbook users.
  • Reply 55 of 170
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    To all those whingers who say "iOS does not run flash," well soon no mobile OS will.

So either stick with your current Android version forever, or come join the rest of us, forward thinking HTML5 people. We will be waiting for you in the future, where we have been all along.
  • Reply 56 of 170
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He's giving God tips on Intelligent Design telling him he needs to focus this products better starting with discontinuing the designed-by-committee platypus.

(I hope that doesn't offend anyone)

I thought mash-ups were all the rage.
  • Reply 57 of 170
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

This is terrible news for savvy consumers who want the full web experience on their mobile devices.

Thanks - best laugh I've had all week.

(You were kidding, weren't you?)
  • Reply 58 of 170
    Reminds me of the Open letter Jobs released about DRM on music needing to go away. The reaction that he was nuts and it happening not much later.

Too bad we will never get another Steve Jobs open letter.
  • Reply 59 of 170
    All I can say is LOL at adobe. If you've even come across a site that wants to use flash on an iDevice they link you to other devices that support flash. Guess that link will go down soon.

As long as this leads to improvements in mobile web environments I say, yay. If people are still going to beat the dead horse of flash than this is not much of a victory as it would appear.
  • Reply 60 of 170

Well... it is good to see that Adobe is finally supporting the full web!