Adobe confirms it will no longer develop Flash for mobile browsers

Comments

• Reply 61 of 170
    This doesn't mean they are going to abandon it, just stop working on new stuff. Flash will still work fine....although I use the term fine loosely.
  • Reply 62 of 170
    So Adobe concedes defeat and it's time for another Star Wars sequel - "The Wrath of the Fandroids"
  • Reply 63 of 170
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yay, no more choice!

This is not a "win" for anyone, although it's not the worst thing ever. I am fine with open standards that work, but for now, most of the web uses Flash.

I don't care what the iFanboys say. This is the way the world works. Guess what. Most sites use Flash. Most computers use Windows. That is how it is.

Flash is resource-intensive and full of security holes, sure. But Adobe continued to improve it on both mobile and MacOS X. Now it's cancelled for mobile. Oh well. It's not good, but it's also not the end of the world. Hopefully over the next few years, sites will settle on ONE or a few open standards, so that everyone can access the full web on mobile. Standards are important. Especially when it comes to the web. Fragmentation helps no one.
  • Reply 64 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Too bad he didn't get to see this day. It would have been interesting to hear what he would have had to say.

He surely saw it from another place...yet one more example of SJ's UNIQUE vision and foresight.

ADOBE IS DEAD.
  • Reply 65 of 170
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Funny when you are using an iOS device none of that seems to be relevant or really matter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I don't care what the iFanboys say. This is the way the world works. Guess what. Most sites use Flash. Most computers use Windows. That is how it is.

• Reply 66 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Worst thing is that even if Adobe removes Flash from CS6 and stops making it available at all, people will still be making Flash files, games, and whatnot for the next DECADE.

The same file of Flash 11 beta will be passed around the Internet and copied ad infinitum (since Adobe will have stopped offering it for download and new computers wouldn't include it), and we'd wind up with a dirty black-markety subculture of Flash users, ever dwindling, until Flash finally dies in 2021 not with a bang, nor a whimper, but with a small, silent fart.

Robin Williams: "I like New York in June... How about you?"

This

and

This
  • Reply 67 of 170
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

So Adobe concedes defeat and it's time for another Star Wars sequel - "The Wrath of the Fandroids"

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace is coming in 3D next year.
    This very long review of The Phantom Menace is well worth the time spent watch it.
    This is a Blade Runner-ish short film is eally well done for a $20,000 budget.
  • Reply 68 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

This is terrible news for savvy consumers who want the full web experience on their mobile devices.

i thought that not too long ago. if one likes dead batteries, slowness and great potential for being hacked then too bad you are out of luck.

steve was right. die, flash, die.

(and adobe acrobat reader and 'pro' too)
  • Reply 69 of 170
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I agree with this POV. The Apple vs Adobe drama was drummed up by the media (as well as Adobe, who went on a full PR assault to defend their "platform"). Steve Jobs didn't "attack" Flash: he simply made a choice for the iOS platform, but Apple and Adobe continued to work together on Flash for Mac OS. It wasn't until Adobe went on a PR offensive that Steve penned his "Thoughts on Flash" open letter, which laid out his vision for the future of the mobile web. And it was an HTML 5 based future.

It's clear to me that Android support for Flash was more about Google trying to play up the "Apple is against choice" PR angle than by some vision of how the mobile web should work. It was all about taking a position contrary to whatever Apple supported, even if what Apple supported was an open standard like HTML 5.

Exactly.
  • Reply 70 of 170
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    So glad they got flash running well before quitting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

To all those whingers who say "iOS does not run flash," well soon no mobile OS will.

So either stick with your current Android version forever, or come join the rest of us, forward thinking HTML5 people. We will be waiting for you in the future, where we have been all along.

Umm no? Android will continue to run flash. Did they say anything about PULLING their progress?

BTW, the only reason you people are "html5 people" is because the salesman Steve Jobs sold you bs that you gobbled up. He said flash couldn't run on mobile platforms, and also said it was a battery drain. Neither of those things turned out to be true.
  • Reply 71 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Umm no? Android will continue to run flash. Did they say anything about PULLING their progress?

BTW, the only reason you people are "html5 people" is because the salesman Steve Jobs sold you bs that you gobbled up. He said flash couldn't run on mobile platforms, and also said it was a battery drain. Neither of those things turned out to be true.

i am not 'html5 people', i am 'all sh*t software needs to go away people'

i guess you still use and sing the praises of RealPlayer too?
  • Reply 72 of 170
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Yep.. Flash is perfect for mobile devices and this is why Adobe is committing to Flash for mobile development for the next 100 years. Oh wait!

PS. Do you mind linking to where Steve Jobs said Flash couldn't run on mobile devices?
  • Reply 73 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i guess you still use and sing the praises of RealPlayer too?

Without RealPlayer I don't have access to the full web.
  • Reply 74 of 170
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Now there are some ways Flash will be missed (no, stop laughing, please bear with me). All the crap out there on websites you can avoid by not installing Flash at the moment will start to be made in different ways and it'll be that little bit harder to ignore.
  • Reply 75 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He's giving God tips on Intelligent Design telling him he needs to focus this products better starting with discontinuing the designed-by-committee platypus.

(I hope that doesn't offend anyone)

How could it?

Solipsism ( /ˈsɒlɨpsɪzəm/) is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist.
  • Reply 76 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Without RealPlayer I don't have access to the full web.

Full web? You kids with your HTML5 and your JavaScript and your Flash and your plugins and extensions.

When I was your age, we used Netscape Navigator.

And we STILL use Netscape Navigator! Even in Lion! And weeeeee liked it!

• Reply 77 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Full web? You kids with your HTML5 and your JavaScript and your Flash and your plugins and extensions.

When I was your age, we used Netscape Navigator.

And we STILL use Netscape Navigator! Even in Lion! And weeeeee liked it!

image: http://i.imgur.com/LdHqu.png

I hope those images use JPEGs because we can't afford to pay CompuServe their licensing fees for GIFs.
  • Reply 78 of 170
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:

i thought that not too long ago. if one likes dead batteries, slowness and great potential for being hacked then too bad you are out of luck.

steve was right. die, flash, die.

(and adobe acrobat reader and 'pro' too)

I hope you do not think iDevices are secure. You do realize that instead of making JailbreakMe.com, Comex could had been malicious and made websites to brick every iDevice that visited without warning, right? Fortunately, he turned out to be a good guy.
  • Reply 79 of 170
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

i am not 'html5 people', i am 'all sh*t software needs to go away people'

You mean like Windows? Once something becomes so ubiquitous and there is no alternative, then it takes a long time for it to fade into obscurity.

You should realize that you are in a very, very small minority of computer users. I would speculate because of the wide acceptance of iOS, most developers are offering alternative and simplified content specifically designed for it. I'm also guessing that most new iPhone buyers are not even aware that it doesn't run Flash because rather than advertise it, that fact is generally swept under the rug by stores selling the iPhone. I would think very few people other than Apple haters go into an Apple store and say to the sales person, 'So I hear iPhone doesn't run Flash'. It is a non-issue. Many novices don't even recognize Flash when they see it. It is just moving things on the web page that are really annoying.
  • Reply 80 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Yay, no more choice!

This is not a "win" for anyone, although it's not the worst thing ever. I am fine with open standards that work, but for now, most of the web uses Flash.

Flash is resource-intensive and full of security holes, sure. But Adobe continued to improve it on both mobile and MacOS X. Now it's cancelled for mobile. Oh well. It's not good, but it's also not the end of the world. Hopefully over the next few years, sites will settle on ONE or a few open standards, so that everyone can access the full web on mobile. Standards are important. Especially when it comes to the web. Fragmentation helps no one.

1) That hasn't been my experience at all. The only websites that I have encountered on my idevices that depend on flash has been restaurant sites and now I just go to third party sites like allmenus.com to get the info I need

2) You can't get a standard together if everyone is relying on a proprietary plugin like flash