Police break up iPhone 4S line outside Hong Kong Apple Store after altercation

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hundreds of people lined up for the release of the iPhone 4S in Hong Kong were reportedly dispersed by police Wednesday evening after customers got in an argument with professional queuers outside the Apple Store.

The recently opened Apple Store in Hong Kong is expected to see crushing demand when the iPhone 4S goes on sale there on at 7 a.m. local time on Nov. 11. Preorders for the device sold out within just 10 minutes of availability last Friday, serving as an early indication that the handset will be a hit in the region.

According to M.I.C. Gadget, customers began waiting in line Tuesday at noon. Witnesses alleged that a group of professional queuers believed to be in the employ of a gray market iPhone reseller threatened the customers and attempted to cut in line. The police eventually arrived to resolve the issue, but the scalpers quickly returned after the officers left. The scalpers reportedly receive $500 HKD ($64) to wait in line for their bosses.

The publication also noted that the number of queuers outside the Hong Kong IFC Apple Store number "a lot more" than those outside the flagship Fifth Avenue store in New York. A separate report noted that, due to "poor air ventilation," a woman had an epileptic seizure while waiting in line.

Police reportedly began blocking the footbridge where customers were waiting. Scalpers and consumers alike were encouraged to go home, resulting in a game of "hide and seek" between officers and the 'professionals.'

As of Thursday, the line appears to have resumed along the footbridge, but with stricter enforcement this time. Videos have emerged of security officials managing a lengthy queue along the footbridge that appeared to number in the thousands.

The iPhone 4S arrived in the U.S. and several other countries on Oct. 14. Sales of the device reached a record 4 million units in the first weekend. Apple has pushed to bring its fastest international rollout ever for the iPhone 4S According to one analyst, stores in the U.S. continue to experience daily stock-outs.

Apple remains confident it will set an all-time record with sales of the iPhone 4S this quarter. UBS analyst Maynard Um predicts the company could sell as many as 42.5 million units worldwide during the period.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    'Surreal' does not do justice to the scene outside now. I posted some pics here on my blog:

http://penguinsix.com/2011/11/10/mas...prior-to-sale/

1000s of people are in line. There are holding 'pens' where groups of 20 have been segregated out by police and security officials in an attempt to bring order to the lines but 100s more are bunched together waiting to get into the pen (that's what the video shows).

The people in line will make about $100 USD per phone when the resell them in Mongkok and in Mainland China. There are almost no 'fanboys' in line--it's primarily low income 'mules' working for the resellers, and folks out to make a quick profit. I even saw some women bring their small children into the line.

• Reply 2 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post

The people in line will make about $100 USD per phone when the resell them in Mongkok and in Mainland China. There are almost no 'fanboys' in line--it's primarily low income 'mules' working for the resellers, and folks out to make a quick profit. I even saw some women bring their small children into the line.

Hmm. My auntie from HK is coming to visit this weekend. Maybe we can load up on iPhones and make a few bucks?

PS - Is that macaroni with "luncheon meat" that the little girl is eating? Classic!
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Keep in mind, there's absolutely no reason for someone who is not a scalper or mule to wait in line. Delivery through carriers is five days. Delivery though the online Apple Store is five days. Only scalpers who need to pay cash and who need it 'now' would think it's worth it to wait and endure the queue. The rest of us get a nice subsidy and we just wait a few more days.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Don't bother trying to make money, especially if you're from the US and/or have to pay sales taxes. (nobody wants US phones, don't ask me how I know) HK has no sales tax, and the current going rate in Mong Kok is just over 100 USD profit. I suspect that once the phones are released tomorrow, that profit will drop to 50 USD or less. I think apple has managed their supply chain much better this go-around and lots of these scalpers are wasting their time.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Keep in mind, there's absolutely no reason for someone who is not a scalper or mule to wait in line. Delivery through carriers is five days. Delivery though the online Apple Store is five days. Only scalpers who need to pay cash and who need it 'now' would think it's worth it to wait and endure the queue. The rest of us get a nice subsidy and we just wait a few more days.

You have no idea what you are talking about - this is Asia not the US. Apple Hong Kong sold out online in 10 minutes and you haven't been able to order one since. They can not possibly keep up with demand in Hong Kong as most of the phones will go to the mainland where it hasn't launched yet. This is the historic pattern for this region, shortages that last for months.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Anyone who believes Apple is cutting down on parts is being fooled into selling their shares. Sorry, but this version of the phone [with Siri] is going to dwarf the sales of the prior two revisions, combined.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

You have no idea what you are talking about - this is Asia not the US. Apple Hong Kong sold out online in 10 minutes and you haven't been able to order one since. They can not possibly keep up with demand in Hong Kong as most of the phones will go to the mainland where it hasn't launched yet. This is the historic pattern for this region, shortages that last for months.

Dude. Chill. I walked into the 3 shop not half a block away from my flat yesterday, signed a 24 month contract for HK$298, paid about HK$1500 for the 64GB Black 4S, prepaid about $4800 of my contract dues in advance, and I will have my iPhone in my hand on Monday. Maybe Smartone or PCCW doesn't treat you so well, or maybe you get a raw deal from them just because you're an asshole, I don't know.

So I was wrong about the online Apple Shop. But you can still get your subsidized phone at the carrier, like I JUST did.

By the way, I've been living here in HK for sixteen years.

I also got the iPad 2 I wanted, retail, about a week after it was available here, so I know about lines, and also that they don't last forever, if you know where to go.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I'm curious but was everybody Kung Fu fighting and were their kicks fast as lighting?
  • Reply 9 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I'm curious but was everybody Kung Fu fighting and were their kicks fast as lighting?

That's the first thing that came to my mind, too.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes and it was a little bit frightening
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's the first thing that came to my mind, too.

I was literally laughing as I wrote it.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    I see capitalism is alive and kicking (pun definitely intended) in Communist China. The want of an iPhone never ceases to amaze.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Boy, imagine lining up for hours only to be sent home by the cops. That sucks.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Potential investors must have missed this video. Apple shares are continuing to tank even after a market recovery.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benjaminm3 View Post

Don't bother trying to make money, especially if you're from the US and/or have to pay sales taxes. (nobody wants US phones, don't ask me how I know)

yes in fact they do. Because there are dozens of scalpers at the 5th ave store every day trying to get phones. They don't get them because of the reservation system being used in the US but they are trying.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Anyone who believes Apple is cutting down on parts is being fooled into selling their shares. Sorry, but this version of the phone [with Siri] is going to dwarf the sales of the prior two revisions, combined.

Actually Siri really isn't the issue. Why? Because it only works in the US.

It is selling like crazy because it an iPhone and lets face, they always sell. Conspiracy types will be wondering if there's some kind of mind control in those ads, keynotes etc. Cause if Apple sells it, the world comes and buys it. Even when Consumer Reports dropped their recommend over the iPhone 4's actually tiny percent of antenna issues in places were the carrier service sucks, folks still buy like crazy and nothing was ever done to 'fix' the issue other than the placebo of free bumpers for a couple of months
  • Reply 17 of 36
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Yes and it was a little bit frightening

ooh ooh ooh!
  • Reply 18 of 36
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Why is this report so one sided? They didn't mention the fights that broke up in a Samsung Galaxy Tab line. Of course, that line was the returns line at BestBuy and the people were fighting to see who could return their Tab first.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

yes in fact they do. Because there are dozens of scalpers at the 5th ave store every day trying to get phones. They don't get them because of the reservation system being used in the US but they are trying.

I've actually tried to sell US phones here.

#1 the sellers in HK don't trust the US phones, and will need to open them up to ensure that they are indeed unlocked. The only way to get an unlocked phone in the US right now is through a CDMA carrier or if you get lucky with an off-contract ATT phone.

#2 the US phones sell for a discount when compared to any other country's unlocked iphone because of the said due diligence they need to do, and the fact that the phone has to be taken out of its packaging to do those checks. Once you throw in sales tax and shipping costs, you aren't even breaking even given HK pricing at the moment.

Any profit that was left in selling these phones will be gone as soon as the phone comes out officially tomorrow.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member
    so, does everyone still think I'm racist for blaming the Chinese for f*ing up our 5th Ave, NYC lines? screw y'all.