Apple releases iOS 5.0.1 with improved iPhone battery life

Comments

• Reply 81 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

And we obviously disagree on "device". Try thinking outside the box to what's driving PC-free.

Obviously. "PC-free" means exactly what it sounds like - that you are free of having to rely on a PC.

If a "PC-free" device has to obviate the need for broadband service, then what is the next demand? An iPad that's solar powered, so you don't have to have mains electricity?

Enabling PC-free computing isn't the same thing as removing the need for ubiquitous infrastructure. Having 3G coverage whilst not having fixed-line broadband access is a very uncommon situation.
  • Reply 82 of 127
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Except, she is already paying for infrastructure via her Verizon data plan. She is paying for 2GB per month. She could switch to a Verizon MiFi, and download the same data over the very same infrastructure. Why should she have purchase a separate device to do this?

Because few things in life are perfect. And maybe because there are tradeoffs (reaching users without WiFi or a computer vs. slow downloads if a significant portion of users try to download the update at the same time).

I am not sure what your argument is? That Apple is stupid, that Apple is deliberately excluding that feature for its own benefit?

There is a difference between saying "It would be really useful for her if..." and "Why should she have to purchase a separate device...". The second phrase implies a right or entitlement.
  • Reply 83 of 127
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

O

If a "PC-free" device has to obviate the need for broadband service, then what is the next demand? An iPad that's solar powered, so you don't have to have mains electricity?

Certainly, Apple said they are cutting the cord, why do I still need a cord to charge my iOS devices? There is a difference between wanting a feature and feeling entitled to it based on an obviously narrow interpretation of marketing statements.
  • Reply 84 of 127
    Quote:

we understand the 2GB data plan that was selected. I would hope that she be able to use 2 percent of that monthly allowance to download an iOS update.

My guess is that there is some kind of small print in the deal Apple did with the carriers to limit data usage, in the same way as App downloads are limited to a maxmimum of 20Mb over 3G...
  • Reply 85 of 127
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Expect a JB to arrive shortly after. Then finally I can use MyWi again.
  • Reply 86 of 127
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I wonder what the battery draining bugs were exactly. Did Apple just turn off some unnecessary background processes within the OS, or was there some poor code running nonstop?

Apparently the bug was in the code that sets the time zone based on location. I had battery issues (I'd go from full charge to dead in under 24 hours of stand-by) and switching the time zone thing off fixed it. With 5.0.1 I've got it switched back on again and it appears to be fine.
  • Reply 87 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Being an Australian I just tested this for you.

Ironically, it does.

Hell, it even works for my pet kangaroo.

Come on, the kangaroo doesn't have opposable thumbs how the heck does he hold it to his ear to talk? You must think Americans are stupid
  • Reply 88 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Certainly, Apple said they are cutting the cord, why do I still need a cord to charge my iOS devices? There is a difference between wanting a feature and feeling entitled to it based on an obviously narrow interpretation of marketing statements.

Witricity...
  • Reply 89 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Obviously. "PC-free" means exactly what it sounds like - that you are free of having to rely on a PC.

Your analogy does not apply. There is no wish for magic or an infrastructure that doesn't exist. The iPad already has broadband service built-in. She's already paying for it. There are any number of ways for her to DL far more than 40MB of data in a short time, including the very same download over the very same network.

Do you people argue just to argue? Bloody hell.
  • Reply 90 of 127
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    iCloud swallowed all of my pages and numbers documents last week and after updating to 5.0.1 I opened Pages & Numbers, a new folder appeared called 'Recovered Data', containing all of the lost documents.
  • Reply 91 of 127
    Quote:

Because few things in life are perfect. And maybe because there are tradeoffs (reaching users without WiFi or a computer vs. slow downloads if a significant portion of users try to download the update at the same time).

I am not sure what your argument is? That Apple is stupid, that Apple is deliberately excluding that feature for its own benefit?

There is a difference between saying "It would be really useful for her if..." and "Why should she have to purchase a separate device...". The second phrase implies a right or entitlement.

You seem to imply that the entitlement belongs to Verizon, to sell an additional device to enable download of the very same data over the very same network that she is already paying for. I.e., she should buy two data plans just so she can get a 40MB file. That is a lovely entitlement for Verizon.

Your mass-download argument has some weight, but I think it probably is not part of the equation; it seems to be just an extension of the extant 20MB limitation. I don't think Apple is stupid. I think at some point in the past they needed to assuage the fears of some stupid executives at AT&T who didn't understand how this all works. No 21MB download from iTunes, but stream all day from Pandora is ok. Yeah, that is stupid.
  • Reply 92 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

My guess is that there is some kind of small print in the deal Apple did with the carriers to limit data usage, in the same way as App downloads are limited to a maxmimum of 20Mb over 3G...

My question is, why does Apple care if I want my factory-unlocked iPhone to be able to download >20MB apps and OTA updates over 3G? I am using it on a carrier which has practically unlimited data, or cheap data. I don't want to have to wait until I get home (or another place with wifi) to be able to do a lot of things, e.g. pushing photos and other stuff to iCloud. On my google nexus1 which I had previously, the Google+ app would happily upload not only photos but also videos I took, over 3G (or even 2G). I had it on my laptop in a few moments, even when I was traveling and didn't want to pay for hotel Wifi (tether laptop to phone's internet). Or in my dorm room where my phone has internet over 3G but laptop only has a wired ethernet connection. iCloud would've been useless unless I got a wifi router. In my hometown in fact, cheapest DSL package is 5 times costlier than mobile data plan with the same data transfer limit (2GB) for 2G and 20% costlier than 3G. It's beneficial to get rid of DSL altogether in that case.

Apple is being pretty stupid in assuming that the currently rotten American 3G data cost scenario applies to everyone else in the world.

• Reply 93 of 127
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    The gecko is speaking cockney english, which is the basis for all Australian dialects. I just assumed the gecko was Australian, but he may be from the U.K.
  • Reply 94 of 127
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercurysquad View Post

My question is, why does Apple care if I want my factory-unlocked iPhone to be able to download >20MB apps and OTA updates over 3G? I am using it on a carrier which has practically unlimited data, or cheap data. I don't want to have to wait until I get home (or another place with wifi) to be able to do a lot of things, e.g. pushing photos and other stuff to iCloud. On my google nexus1 which I had previously, the Google+ app would happily upload not only photos but also videos I took, over 3G (or even 2G). I had it on my laptop in a few moments, even when I was traveling and didn't want to pay for hotel Wifi (tether laptop to phone's internet). Or in my dorm room where my phone has internet over 3G but laptop only has a wired ethernet connection. iCloud would've been useless unless I got a wifi router.

Apple is being pretty stupid in assuming that the currently rotten American 3G data cost scenario applies to everyone else in the world.

If a picture or a video fails mid download, no harm done, just start over. If an OS update fails mid way, it may cause serious problems. 3G data is not as reliable as wifi nor as fast so more chance of errors or timeout situations occurring. People might even try it in a moving car in New York City and then complain when it didn't work.
  • Reply 95 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If a picture or a video fails mid download, no harm done, just start over. If an OS update fails mid way, it may cause serious problems. 3G data is not as reliable as wifi nor as fast so more chance of errors occurring.

OS updates are not installed unless the checksum/signature validates. Again reliability or speed depend on your carrier and location - I was happily updating 80 MB OTAs for android, over 2G (EDGE) - not even 3G. Users should have a choice (perhaps turned off by default so people don't complain).
  • Reply 96 of 127
    Has everyone tried turning on all the pref's, Location services and push notifications with the new update,

I don't want to turn everything on yet to only find that the battery life will suck with everything on.
  • Reply 97 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StigsHero View Post

Apple: "Siri is exclusive to the iPhone 4S. Non-English language support is in beta."

Media: "Siri is a beta."

iPhone 4 owners: "Oh, Siri's in beta... That means we'll get it once the beta's over!"

Yes, it's exclusive to the iPhone 4S to spur sales, but all the work is done on the server side, therefore it only makes sense that at some point the "premium" features of the high-end iPhone will migrate to all capable Apple devices.
  • Reply 98 of 127
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dolawren View Post

Has everyone tried turning on all the pref's, Location services and push notifications with the new update,

I don't want to turn everything on yet to only find that the battery life will suck with everything on.

I switched everything back on and it's working fine for me.
  • Reply 99 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm not sure this was stated; "CNET notes that iOS 5.0.1 addresses the security vulnerability disclosed by prominent security researcher Charlie Miller earlier this week. Miller demonstrated the vulnerability by slipping an app into Apple's App Store, a move which resulted in Apple banning him from the iOS developer program."

I hope Miller has another exploit for this show next week.
  • Reply 100 of 127
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Wireless charging, charging by induction, no thanks. Gimmicky as hell.