Adobe manager puts partial blame on Apple for mobile Flash failure

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtDecoDalek View Post

What the guy says in the article is actually much more moderate and articulate than the lousy headline would imply.

That actually should be Apple Insider's tagline.
  • Reply 62 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtDecoDalek View Post

What the guy says in the article is actually much more moderate and articulate than the lousy headline would imply.

This article is written about a blog written by Mike Chambers -- an Adobe Flash executive.

I had dealings with Mike back in the days when I was doing ColdFusion web development -- before and after Mike went to work for Adobe.

I always thought Mike was a talented, friendly, helpful straight-up guy.

So, I went and read his blog, user posts, and Mikes responses to those posts -- as well as linked blogs/posts/responses about other related, Adobe products: Flex, AIR, etc....

None of this came across as whining -- rather a sober, honest presentation of the facts as they exist.

My opinion of Mike has not changed: Mike is a talented, friendly, helpful straight-up guy.

He's just been given a bad portfolio -- and is trying to make the best of it...

...Without damaging the company, the products and the user community he represents.

Likely, that is what any of us would do if we were honest, and in the same position.

+100% Mike Chambers!

• Reply 63 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

You're right. Restaurants as an industry have embraced flash. I don't know why.

Probably because restaurants:

1. Don't need to change their web site often

2. Rely on style and presentation in order to increase perceived value.
  • Reply 64 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

Rely on style and presentation in order to increase perceived value.

When I see a blocked Flash element on a website, I think, "Ew, nope."

When I think about food, I shouldn't be thinking, "Ew."

When I think about patronizing a business, I should't be thinking, "Nope."

There might be a problem with their continuing use of Flash.
  • Reply 65 of 127
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    It's interesting what he says. In many ways they are confirmation that Steve Jobs made the right choice. My interpretation of what he says is that Flash essentially failed to keep up to the realities of a handheld device. Also, while not yet mature, HTML 5 and corresponding open standards kinda make Flash seem less relavent.

Adobe will have to work hard to keep Flash relavent on the desktop, since in many ways handheld devices are also impacting how content publishers approach the desktop.
  • Reply 66 of 127
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
    In addition, Flash has not performed well on mobile devices. We have routinely asked Adobe to show us Flash performing well on a mobile device, any mobile device, for a few years now. We have never seen it. ~Steve Jobs, April 2010:

I have always said that Flash should never be on a mobile device although I do support Flash on the desktop as an option for really unique presentations and applications. Similarly, you wouldn't want to order Steak tartare, Roast Suckling Pig or Peking Duck from a drive thru window either but that doesn't mean that a fine restaurant shouldn't be able to offer it.
  • Reply 67 of 127
    This AI Article... This AI Author...

For a while I've suspected that Josh Ong is just another pseudonym used by DED -- mainly because there always seemed to be an agenda and a certain bias to the information presented... ...While not as blatant or "In your Face" as DED, it was always there...

With this article, the author included a chart. The style of the chart is a give-away -- I've never seen anyone but DED use a chart like this -- especially the arrows showing how different products/releases intertwine...

-50% Josh Ong (AKA DED)
  • Reply 68 of 127
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Partly at fault? Change that to "Apple gets most of the CREDIT." That's right, Adobe, you're now feeling the wrath of Steve Jobs from beyond the grave. He knew that flash SUCKS and was not the animation/video platform of the future. And now, so do you.
  • Reply 69 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Partly at fault? Change that to "Apple gets most of the CREDIT." That's right, Adobe, you're now feeling the wrath of Steve Jobs from beyond the grave. He knew that flash SUCKS and was not the animation/video platform of the future. And now, so do you.

And there in lies the problem. The animation and video platform of the future is unfortunately still in the future. It will be up to Adobe to produce the tools necessary to author multimedia elements in HTML5. So far we don't have a convenient way to do it except by tedious hard coding.
  • Reply 70 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It will be up to Adobe to produce the tools necessary to author multimedia elements in HTML5. So far we don't have a convenient way to do it except by tedious hard coding.

Hype.

Oh, gosh? Adobe's just going to buy them, kill them, and integrate 1/100th of their capabilities into Dreamweaver, aren't they?
  • Reply 71 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hype.

Oh, gosh… Adobe's just going to buy them, kill them, and integrate 1/100th of their capabilities into Dreamweaver, aren't they…

You do remember they bought Dreamweaver and added quite a bit of functionality afterwards, right? I don't care who provides the tools, just figured that Adobe has the best chance to do it since they have the most resources.
  • Reply 72 of 127
    Quote:

You do remember they bought Dreamweaver and added quite a bit of functionality afterwards, right?

Yes, you're right. And it became the bloated whore that we know and love today.

Quote:

I don't care who provides the tools, just figured that Adobe has the best chance to do it since they have the most resources.

While I do believe that Adobe will eventually morph Flash into the exact same application but with it creating HTML5 stuff?

? it would be very nice to see more competition remaining in the WYSIWYG HTML5 field, as opposed to Adobe's usual plan of buying absolutely everyone doing anything and mushing them together.
  • Reply 73 of 127
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by purpleshorts View Post

Maybe I don't get it. "Kill Flash" seems to translate into "Kill banner ads," but there is nothing to stop HTML5 from building the exact same banner ads, and in fact, the "kill flash" people use this equivalence as an argument for ditching Flash.

Seems like one sect lynching another sect, while both holding firm to the same root religion. What am I missing?

What you don't get is that "Kill Flash" isn't because of banner ads at all. It's because it's a lousy piece of technology. Security problems. Overheating problems. Crashing problems. Battery life problems.

I don't think anyone believes that banner ads will go away after Flash is in its grave. But they do hope that the security, overheating, crashing, and battery life problems will go away.
  • Reply 74 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

it would be very nice to see more competition remaining in the WYSIWYG HTML5 field, as opposed to Adobe's usual plan of buying absolutely everyone doing anything and mushing them together.

I'm not sure which acquisitions you are referring to. Please don't go back to PageMaker and Freehand to make your point. They bought MacroMedia but that was because MM was way ahead of Adobe in web and animation stuff.
  • Reply 75 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What you don't get is that "Kill Flash" isn't because of banner ads at all. It's because it's a lousy piece of technology. Security problems. Overheating problems. Crashing problems. Battery life problems.

I don't think anyone believes that banner ads will go away after Flash is in its grave. But they do hope that the security, overheating, crashing, and battery life problems will go away.

There is no reason to "Kill Flash" because there are good Flash and ad blockers freely available. The "Kill Flash" crowd are simply haters. If you want to kill something kill hate.
  • Reply 76 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Regardless of the platform i was run on Flash was still the biggest access point for security issue and the most prone to crash according to browser markets. As webcode evolves we'll move farther and further away from Flash as a delivery method..
  • Reply 77 of 127
    Quote:

Regardless of the platform i was run on Flash was still the biggest access point for security issue

Nope, the biggest security threat is still opening email attachments.
  • Reply 78 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

There is no reason to "Kill Flash" because there are good Flash and ad blockers freely available. The "Kill Flash" crowd are simply haters. If you want to kill something kill hate.

There is no reason to kill Flash because it's ending its own life from too many years to being sedentary. They've made great effort to get back in the race but it's too little too late. Flash as a ubiquitous plug-in for all computing devices is over and the parentage of machines that will have Flash will continue to drop.
  • Reply 79 of 127
    Quote:

There is no reason to kill Flash because it's ending its own life from too many years to being sedentary. They've made great effort to get back in the race but it's too little too late. Flash as a ubiquitous plug-in for all computing devices is over and the parentage of machines that will have Flash will continue to drop.

I don't disagree. Flash's days are numbered. All good things get abused, tarnished, and exploited. Flash still does what no other platform can do but the typical content you encounter sucks. Ads and spinning icons are hideous. I can remember when FM radio was pretty cool. Now it is unbearable. Same thing with Flash. People are always trying to blame the platform when actually the offensive part is the content.
  • Reply 80 of 127
    If Adobe's mobile Flash wasn't a piece of crap, Apple would never have banned it from their mobile devices in the first place!