Review roundup: Amazon Kindle Fire a bargain, but no threat to Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 81 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Seriously?

You just quoted the two least reliable video news sources, and the single most unreliable web-based tech news source.

Especially if Gizmodo likes it, you know it's bad.

They are contrarians at best and rarely correct about anything at all.

It ranks about the same as the reviews appleinsider placed up, while leaving other, less rah rah apple ones down the bottom as links...
  • Reply 82 of 126
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

people will use a device in whatever manner they see fit as value to them. enjoy your iPad and while others enjoy their Kindle Fire.

You seem to want to turn this into some kind of you against the fan boys deal, I'm not interested. I'm interested in what "tablet computing" actually means, and how that market is going to develop. I'm not denying anyone their Fires, or claiming they won't enjoy them. I'm wondering if, at some point in the near future, "cheap and limited" is going to seem as good of a deal, once tablet computing becomes more ubiquitous.
  • Reply 83 of 126
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

yes, however, it doesn't change the fact that several prominent reviews online, thus far, are giving praise to the Kindle Fire; it's a great product.

I don't know if I'd call Mashable and Verge "prominent" but I understood your point.
  • Reply 84 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

It ranks about the same as the reviews appleinsider placed up, while leaving other, less rah rah apple ones down the bottom as links...

IMO, I think Gizmodo carries a wee bit less credibility than the three the main article quotes (Pogue, Wired and ZDNet).
  • Reply 85 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

My iPhone absolutely never does this. Antidote to your anecdote.

My iphone does, so does my wifes iphone. So does my ipad, and her ipad. Never mind my kids ipod touches. The biggest apple trouble maker is the email app, photos does it occasionally. The best item at killing stuff is the twitter/facebook apps.

Six antidotes for your anecdote
  • Reply 86 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

IMO, I think Gizmodo carries a wee bit less credibility than the three the main article quotes (Pogue, Wired and ZDNet).

gizmodo suck up to anyone they think will provide them advertising dollars. Wired is apple central, zdnet is all over the place on reviews and pouge is about the best of that lot
  • Reply 87 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I don't know if I'd call Mashable and Verge "prominent" but I understood your point.

Verge is Engadget, without AOL
  • Reply 88 of 126
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

My iphone does, so does my wifes iphone. So does my ipad, and her ipad. Never mind my kids ipod touches. The biggest apple trouble maker is the email app, photos does it occasionally. The best item at killing stuff is the twitter/facebook apps.

I know 1000 people, personally, that never see this behavior. I win.
  • Reply 89 of 126
    Quote:

One family's worth of devices all synced to the same place from the same set of softwares.

You need to redownload the software and reinstall it on every device. You are not the norm.
  • Reply 90 of 126
    Quote:

gizmodo suck up to anyone they think will provide them advertising dollars. Wired is apple central, zdnet is all over the place on reviews and pouge is about the best of that lot

Right. I was being kind about Giz having "a wee bit less credibility".
  • Reply 91 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troyp View Post

Why build a tablet and sell it at a loss when they could have just built an app?

Because the way they did it, the app is open every time you use the device, in a manner similar to Apple TV.
  • Reply 92 of 126
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

What 15" laptops are selling w/ARM processors? Netbooks have had shrinking sales for awhile now.

I had in mind stuff like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+...&skuId=3438577

It uses an AMD E-Series SOC. I said similar for a reason.

Quote:

How is the MBA a netbook? Netbooks used shitty Atom processors and XP, Linux or Win 7 Starter. The MBA has Sandy Bridge i5 and i7 processors and SSD drives, plus a full modern OS w/o limitations. How is that at all similar?

I think you skipped over a couple of the adjectives I used to qualify my statement. It is true, but trivial, that the guts of the MBA are better than netbooks of yore. I also think you overlook the form factor similarities, and the fact that the MBA actually fulfills the promise of the netbook - a tiny laptop computer that works pretty good for most stuff.
  • Reply 93 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strask View Post

25% of the overall use of the tablet is the experience, not the utility.

A good dictionary might serve you well. The RDF stuff never works except face to face, and even then, it is difficult to pull it off.
  • Reply 94 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

$499 will buy you TWO Kindle fires that do 80% of what an iPad will do.

And after you buy two, one for you and one for your squeeze, you will still have $100.00 left over to spend on music, books and movies.
  • Reply 95 of 126
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The Kindle Fire is crap and pales in comparison to the iPad.

There might be some cheap and some poor people who might justify getting one, but as we all know, you get what you pay for, and for $200, the Fire is miles away from an iPad, both in price and in quality. It's Android, and Android is crap. Android is not smooth, it's jerky, unresponsive and laggy, and the reviews here confirms that.
  • Reply 96 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

And after you buy two, one for you and one for your squeeze, you will still have $100.00 left over to spend on music, books and movies.

Might be closer to $20 if you count the Amazon Prime subscription for $80.
  • Reply 97 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm not saying it's a strike against the iPad, I'm saying it's buying into lazy assumptions about what tablets are for and concluding some things that may not be true.

if, in fact, "all anyone wants" is easy consumption of media and services, then a device like the Fire will no doubt be very successful. However, if there is a growing perception that tablets should rightfully be PC replacements, than something like the Fire becomes a bit of a cul-de-sac, similar to certain limited computing appliances from the early days of desktop machines.

That's a fundamental distinction that doesn't have much to do with championing the iPad or dismissing other approaches, and time will tell what's true.

This is true -- and a very astute observation.

I remember the days when IBM/PC !~= IBM PC/jr.

So, if Tablet == iPad...

Then, Tablet/jr == Fire || Nook ||PlayBook || Galaxy Tab 7....

and Tablet/jr == Tablet/castrati

They are missing the bits that make a Tablet a Tablet.

Hell, the Tablet/castratati don't even qualify as big iPod Touches.

• Reply 98 of 126
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    reading the reviews it is very clear the new Fire is a flawed and significantly limited Amazon prototype tablet. basically, a V.1 beta product with warmed-over PlayBook hardware.

now i expect Amazon will put a much improved version on the market next year with new hardware, maybe in six months. so it has real potential - but anyone who buys one now is being played for a sucker.

but the hype! in spite of the obvious problems with this initial model, many sites are gushing over it. Gizmodo declares Apple should "be afraid." talk about a reality distortion field ...

get ready for the wave of buyers' remorse, to come next year in the millions apparently.
  • Reply 99 of 126
    Here's a comparison chart:

Some things of note:

1) The Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime appears to have the specs of a "Tablet" -- but how well it is executed remains to be seen

2) BT availability is not shown -- The iPad has it and the Fire & Nook do not -- so there is no way to connect any BT accessories

3) In the last row, "Battery Life Claim" is shown -- The Fire and Nook have significantly less claimed battery life that the iPad. (The iPad exceeds its claimed life).

4) The Fire and Nook "Battery Life Claim" is for WiFi OFF -- The iPad is for WiFi ON

Doesn't it seem a little odd that the Fire and Nook are limited-storage devices mainly used for consuming streamed content -- yet they can only claim adequate battery life when WiFi is turned OFF...

It seems to me that these Tablet/casterati will need to be tethered to a power source in order to perform their basic functions

• Reply 100 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

It works relatively well. It is cheap. It doesn't work as well as a device costing (up to) more than 4 times its cost.

Surprised?

If the thing can surf the web and read ebooks and play videos and check email, it does 90% of what most people use the iPad for. Even if the animations are not quite as pretty.

What you are describing could easily apply to the $199 Netbooks from Acer or Asus. It's good enough for 90% of what most people use the MacBook Pro for. Even if the animations are not quite as pretty.