Review roundup: Amazon Kindle Fire a bargain, but no threat to Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

reading the reviews it is very clear the new Fire is a flawed and significantly limited Amazon prototype tablet. basically, a V.1 beta product with warmed-over PlayBook hardware.

now i expect Amazon will put a much improved version on the market next year with new hardware, maybe in six months. so it has real potential - but anyone who buys one now is being played for a sucker.

but the hype! in spite of the obvious problems with this initial model, many sites are gushing over it. Gizmodo declares Apple should "be afraid." talk about a reality distortion field ...

get ready for the wave of buyers' remorse, to come next year in the millions apparently.

Ya' know...

It would have been interesting if HP had made the Leo--->Meg upgrade a few weeks sooner...

The 16 GB TouchPad for $399 had decent specs, decent execution, and a well-received OS. Supposedly, that model had $296 worth of parts (the more expensive 32 GB had $318 worth of parts).

Conceivably, HP could have made a profit with pricing of $329 and $379 respectively.

As it is, the EOLed Touchpad at $99 appears to have been a much better deal than either the Fire or Nook.
  • Reply 102 of 126
    Hmmm...Engadget seems to deem otherwise.

Also, we'll have to see the sales. Then if by some magical reason it does sale exceeding well, "they aren't in the same category" (which they aren't btw).
  • Reply 103 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Summary: It's a good product for $199. Price matters because the price is the selling point. Apple is selling the whole experience.

Whole experience of what? I can play Portal 2 on it?

Tablets by their very defintion are crippled due to price concerns. Apple benefits being a leader in the tablet-verse but even then you can't really define 'whole experience' without throwing in the competition.
  • Reply 104 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

the Kindle Fire exists in a different market than the iPad. there's no need for you to be so threatened by Amazon's offering.

Threatened? LOL. The Kindle Fire is absolutely no threat to anything but Amazons profits. I thought I was clear when i said it was DOA and pointed out how it is terrible.
  • Reply 105 of 126
    Looks like a good tablet - I checked out the Verge review.

Not as ambitious as the iPad as Amazon is making its money off content. Not as good as the iPad as it's cheaper of course. But will be interesting to see how many people want consumption device and how many people want a proper computer replacement. Of course guys here will favour the full fledged feature, but looking at the top apps on the App Store it's not yet clear.

No one really mentioned that the Kindle App Store only has 10,000 apps - far behind iPad and Android numbers. The apps aren't that great yet either, waiting to see if this improves and if the Kindle can have well designed apps rather than the stretched out shit we've seen on other (7") Android tablets.

Sure the gap between devices like the Kindle Fire and the iPad will widen as the latter gets more functionality. Amazon has no answer for stuff like iCloud.
  • Reply 106 of 126
    The Kindle is a league of it's own. Even if it does become a large seller, it's still tied to Amazon. If it did destroy Apple's sales, it's not exactly the same market iPad is catering to. Yes, the sales still matter but it doesn't at the same time. What will matter to Amazon is the profit's it's making. I think people are forgetting about the new Nook honestly though...
  • Reply 107 of 126
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

As it is, the EOLed Touchpad at $99 appears to have been a much better deal than either the Fire or Nook.

Well, duh!

If anything, the Kindle Fire proved to be a suitable straw man to put up against the iPad. Amazon doesn't claim it competes with the iPad, people who show interest in the Kindle admit it is technologically inferior to an iPad, yet a large number of professional and casual commentators insist on comparing it to the iPad. Why?

My pet theory is that the Kindle Fire and the Nook are to full-price tablets as netbooks are to laptops. They are a different category, however they will eat into tablet sales the same way that netbooks ate into laptop sales, and the way later iPad, although in a completely different category, drank up the netbooks' milkshake.

Increasing diversity in this segment of the market will increase competition, with more choices for the consumer at lower price points. Producers will have to lower their profit margins, as people's perception of the value of tablets is no longer anchored at $500 and above.
  • Reply 108 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

...Amazon has no answer for stuff like iCloud.

You're kidding, right?
  • Reply 109 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

You're kidding, right?

Because the Amazon Cloud Music Player just shows a whole bunch of clouds....
  • Reply 110 of 126
    Quote:

You're kidding, right?

Syncing documents.

Syncing photos.

Calendar, email and contacts (not even sure if the Kindle has a calendar app).

I wasn't kidding. Maybe you thought iCloud was just for music...
  • Reply 111 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm wondering if, at some point in the near future, "cheap and limited" is going to seem as good of a deal, once tablet computing becomes more ubiquitous.

'cheap and limited' is subjective and does not describe the Kindle Fire or the Apple iPad in any fashion.
  • Reply 112 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

I thought I was clear when i said it was DOA and pointed out how it is terrible.

others disagree with your opinion. the market will be best judge on how the Kindle Fire fares in the market.
  • Reply 113 of 126
    Quote:

Amazon doesn't claim it competes with the iPad, people who show interest in the Kindle admit it is technologically inferior to an iPad, yet a large number of professional and casual commentators insist on comparing it to the iPad. Why?

although there are likely many reasons, it's a silly comparison (especially by the casual commentators). both devices have done / will do well in the market(s) they target.
  • Reply 114 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Syncing documents.

Syncing photos.

Calendar, email and contacts (not even sure if the Kindle has a calendar app).

I wasn't kidding. Maybe you thought iCloud was just for music...

Of course I know it's not just music. However, music and video paid services deal with copyrighted content, are therefore the services that you don't find elsewhere for free. As to the rest, I have been using cloud services for years. Documents, photos, calendars, contacts, most with auto syncing between devices. Kindle may not have as tight integration with Google, but still runs Android, so the solutions will be there. You may be buying too much into the iCloud hype.
  • Reply 115 of 126
    I have been playing with my Fire for the past 3 hours, and its quite apparent to me that the only similarity this has to an Ipad is that they both are called "tablets."

I use my Ipad 2 for a variety of tasks/enjoyment and find it to be an excellent replacement to a laptop for many uses, and much more user friendly often. The Fire's screen is 1/2 the size, making it a joke for viewing video or photographs if you really want to enjoy them. It is very bad as an e-reader, a regular Kindle is far superior. Its slow, doesn't respond well to gestures, is choppy and I definitely will send mine back for a refund and just buy a $79 Kindle.

I originally planned to give it to my 10 year grandson as a holiday present, but to be truthful, its an embarrassment if you ever used an Ipad or a decent computer at all.

A piece of junk for $200 masquerading as an inexpensive smaller Ipad.

Bezos and Amazon should be ashamed of themselves.
  • Reply 116 of 126
    Well the good news is there's 30 day return with no restocking fee.
  • Reply 117 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by happyden View Post

... Its slow, doesn't respond well to gestures, is choppy ...

Lol, this has got to be the least informative review ever. Slow, doesn't respond well to gestures (read: slow), and is choppy (read: slow). In two words, one of them being a contraction, it's slow. Slower than the iPad2, in any case. Apparently, its screen is also smaller than iPad's, quite the shocker considering the well publicized specifications.

Don't forget to loan your lipstick to whomever you'd be giving this as a present.
  • Reply 118 of 126
    Quote:

Lol, this has got to be the least informative review ever. Slow, doesn't respond well to gestures (read: slow), and is choppy (read: slow). In two words, one of them being a contraction, it's slow. Slower than the iPad2, in any case. Apparently, its screen is also smaller than iPad's, quite the shocker considering the well publicized specifications.

Don't forget to loan your lipstick to whomever you'd be giving this as a present.

I normally don't respond to tards, but if you can't recognize the difference between a device that has choppy video versus slow video; they are two different phenomena. And I would bet that many potential buyers (likely including yourself) don't even know that a 7" diag. device is 50% smaller than a 10" diag. device, not 7/10. Good luck with your new Fire, and likely your Chevy Aveo, Dell laptop, and your MacDonald's happy meals.

Variety is the spice of life!
  • Reply 119 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by happyden View Post

I normally don't respond to tards, but if you can't recognize the difference between a device that has choppy video versus slow video; they are two different phenomena. And I would bet that many potential buyers (likely including yourself) don't even know that a 7" diag. device is 50% smaller than a 10" diag. device, not 7/10. Good luck with your new Fire, and likely your Chevy Aveo, Dell laptop, and your MacDonald's happy meals.

Variety is the spice of life!

Easy there, first you never mentioned video, and second the reason a video would appear choppy is because of dropped frames, which in turn is caused by slow processing of the video data. As to the screen size, you have the nerve to lecture me on geometry after you couldn't figure out how big the screen would be just from reading the specs? Sheesh!

Good luck with your smugness and your out-of-place proverbs.
  • Reply 120 of 126
    Quote:

Easy there, first you never mentioned video, and second the reason a video would appear choppy is because of dropped frames, which in turn is caused by slow processing of the video data. As to the screen size, you have the nerve to lecture me on geometry after you couldn't figure out how big the screen would be just from reading the specs? Sheesh!

Good luck with your smugness and your out-of-place proverbs.

What happened to the "cowboy" Doppio?