Pulled article claimed LG will make displays for 'iPad mini' & 4-in. iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I think a 7" would be cool too, but at what price? $499 for a 16gb iPad.... $199 for a Touch.... So were talking $299-$399? Gonna be a hard sell at $399, when you can get a full iPad for $100 more..... and not going to have anywhere near the margins they normally get at $299. Although $299 would be an incredible deal and I'd be all over it for my wife.

And 7" will be less battery life (inevitable from smaller battery.)

I can see use for a 7", and of course Steve was the master of the head fake.

The only issue is how to handle up/down scaling vs 3rd format.

Windows 8 is onto something with a dev environment that lets you lay out separate layouts for different screen sizes (tile, phone, tablet) from the git go.

I think that this is inevitable for Apple as well, with the only question being, what is the plan for the interim period as the 7" first comes out. Blown up sucks, and shrunk is too small to use.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Steve was just talking trash. Nothing wrong with a smaller iPad. Apple just wasn't ready to release one at that time. Women will love it since it will fit in their purses.

It would seem that you are the one "talking trash." You have no basis for these opinions at all, no facts to base them on, and then you throw in a trashy sexist remark for good measure.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I can see why Apple would want to make a 7" iPad, but I think the bigger news is the larger iPhone display. 3.5" is simply too small. It seemed huge when it was first released since most phones only had about a 2.2" display back then, but now 3.5" seems too small. I doubt Apple will ever release something like the Samsung 4.65" displays, but something around 4 to 4.2" would be a nice compromise. But what Apple giveth they also taketh away. So if they make a larger screen, no doubt they will leave out some other compelling feature to entice us to upgrade yet again.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It would seem that you are the one "talking trash." You have no basis for these opinions at all, no facts to base them on, and then you throw in a trashy sexist remark for good measure.

I should know better than to argue with you, but I will point out that the iPhone has a tiny screen and requires no fingertip sanding. Second, I have it on good authority that at least some women will indeed like a smaller iPad. I'm thinking there are probably no significant women in your life other than your mother, otherwise you would know that it was not a sexist comment.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    Quote:

Steve was just talking trash. Nothing wrong with a smaller iPad. Apple just wasn't ready to release one at that time. Women will love it since it will fit in their purses.

Because all women carry the same size purse. 7" is trash. Are you saying women cannot handle more than 7"?
  • Reply 26 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I would imagine any such device would be a larger iPod Touch, not a smaller iPad.

I agree. I think a ~5" Touch would cover much of the same functional capability as a 7" model while being much more portable/pocket-able/affordable/light weight.

I really don't like the 7" size and it has nothing to do with Steve's comments.

Simply that 7" doesn't really offer that much more over a 5" screen, while trading off significant portability.

7.35" with Apples 4:3 ratio would also make the table too fat to get a nice one handed spanning grip across it. This is the kind of thing that the obsessives at apple would figure out if they were aiming for a mid size device. Just more evidence that this is yet another in the long list of meaningless rumors about 7" iPads (which i think started within days of the of the iPad release). This one is complete BS like the rest.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Are you saying women cannot handle more than 7"?

In before all the innuendo?
  • Reply 28 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Because all women carry the same size purse. 7" is trash. Are you saying women cannot handle more than 7"?

Wow, it is pretty obvious which of the posters have never been laid.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    AAPL should not worry about cannibalizing the iPad2 or the iPod Touch with a lower cost 7 inch unit. The race is to capture market share. Some folks cannot afford the entry price for the iPad2. Why leave that market to Samsung, et al?

As a previous commenter noted, a 7 inch unit would be more portable for pockets and purses.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RFHJr View Post

Some folks cannot afford the entry price for the iPad2. Why leave that market to Samsung, et al?

I see the most logical future conclusion being Apple keeping the low-end iPad 2 around when the iPad 3 comes out and dropping the price $100.

They've done it with every other iDevice to date once they hit the 3rd generation. Why wouldn't they do it with the iPad?

Absolutely NOTHING could compete with a $399 iPad 2… except the $499 iPad 3.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Absolutely NOTHING could compete with a $399 iPad 2… except the $499 iPad 3.

I mostly agree with this.

Another poster made a good point about the finger filing thing. Siri could be the magic excuse that makes it work. The biggest problem is the interface. I wonder how bad an iPhone style interface would be at retina display resolution on a 7 inch screen. Buttons might seem gigantic, but it should still look pretty good. Maybe the 5 inch iPod touch would be more useful.

Seems like a good middle ground could be found. On the other hand, I'm glad I can type this on the full-ish keyboard of an iPad while waiting for my car to be fixed rather than a tinier keyboard.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    We will never have a 7" tablet - Steve Jobs.

Funny how when the original Galaxy Tab came out, people on here were bashing the 7" screen size.

Look at the same people now, honoring praise for a 7" tablet on Apple.

Hypocracy at its best.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Quote:

If you think women need an iPad that small so it will fit in their purse you are dating the wrong women.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

We will never have a 7" tablet - Steve Jobs.

"Not an actual quote from Steve Jobs."

?Tallest Skil
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

I agree. I think a ~5" Touch would cover much of the same functional capability as a 7" model while being much more portable/pocket-able/affordable/light weight.

I really don't like the 7" size and it has nothing to do with Steve's comments.

Simply that 7" doesn't really offer that much more over a 5" screen, while trading off significant portability.

7.35" with Apples 4:3 ratio would also make the table too fat to get a nice one handed spanning grip across it. This is the kind of thing that the obsessives at apple would figure out if they were aiming for a mid size device. Just more evidence that this is yet another in the long list of meaningless rumors about 7" iPads (which i think started within days of the of the iPad release). This one is complete BS like the rest.

I have stated this on a number of occasions and firmly believe that a larger Touch makes a lot of sense. As a pocket computer, the Touch is too small. There are a large percentage of consumers who could comfortably pocket a 5" iPod Touch so to me the question is why has Apple failed to go there. Seems to me that for browsing, e-reading, movie watching, gaming etc. the bigger the screen the better. So the trick is to make the biggest iPod possible without losing the ability to pocket the device. This is a very different scenario than one finds with a smart phone. I don't think a phone should have a 5" screen but the iPod Touch is not a phone.

You could maintain the resolution of the current Touch and it would still make for an outstanding screen. No need to make it look as if Jobs has been ignored posthumously. Call it the new Touch. After all, with a lower-priced pocketable tablet in the mix, what would be the point of having the Touch soldier on in its present form. Make the Nano a little more capable and you'd have all your bases covered.

The way I see this unfolding is, a new Touch being unveiled alongside the next iPad featuring something like a 4.7" screen and pricing of (in US currency) $279 for a 16GB version, $349 for a 32GB version and $449 for a 64GB version. Maybe improve the camera add a faster processor.

Having a $279 computer that is still small enough to pocket is something that could very much appeal to a lot of consumers. It would even be likely that a lot of people would consider owning both, i.e. an iPad for puttering around the house and what amounts to a supersized Touch for the road.

A 7" iPad, on the other hand, would offer the worst of both. You lose the portability of the current Touch and the advantages of a larger screen like the one on the iPad. Lose/lose.

I think Apple doesn't have the sweet spot nailed down in regards to a device like the Touch. Easily corrected and hopefully Apple does.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Edit: should it be "on line and in the train" for those who speak East Coast?

I'm oncertain what you're saying...
  • Reply 37 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Not an actual quote from Steve Jobs."

?Tallest Skil

it was more like: You need to use sand-paper to file-down your finger tips
  • Reply 38 of 68
    Quote:

Bingo! Well said.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

The way I see this unfolding is, a new Touch being unveiled alongside the next iPad featuring something like a 4.7" screen and pricing of (in US currency) $279 for a 16GB version, $349 for a 32GB version and $449 for a 64GB version. Maybe improve the camera add a faster processor.

Having a $279 computer that is still small enough to pocket is something that could very much appeal to a lot of consumers. It would even be likely that a lot of people would consider owning both, i.e. an iPad for puttering around the house and what amounts to a supersized Touch for the road.

A 7" iPad, on the other hand, would offer the worst of both. You lose the portability of the current Touch and the advantages of a larger screen like the one on the iPad. Lose/lose.

I think this pretty much nails the ideal path, particularly the issue with 7" being the worst of all worlds.

The question is that clearly, iPad apps wouldn't be downsized, but how would iPhone apps look on a 4.7" screen? Hopefully not as bad as they look in full screen on an iPad.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Apple has received world wide acclaim for its current iPad form factor and Steve Jobs unambiguously stated that the 7" form factor sucks. So this "new information" is highly suspect.

steve said a lot of things. and guy kawasaki said that Jobs was the only guy who could change his mind and make you think he was right twice...lol