Apple reportedly reduced iPad 2 orders because it bought 16M last quarter

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Will you fandroid trolls ever learn?

Apple product on the shelves = product sold

Android product on the shelves = channel stuffing, shipping, ...

Apple product available online: inventory about to be sold

Android product available online: inventory to be written off

Never mind the 600,000+ activations per day

Wrong. Apple products don't sit on the shelves long. Apple sells > 99.9% of the products it ships. Android products, otoh, sit for weeks. You never hear about any sell outs unless it is one or two "flagship" phones.

As for the activations, it's 550000 but most of those are cheapy phones in which the user doesn't even use the "android-ness" of the phone.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    Did AppleInsider just post an article referring to the next iPad without naming it "iPad 3"????

Wow. +1 Keep up the good work
  • Reply 23 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Wrong. Apple products don't sit on the shelves long. Apple sells > 99.9% of the products it ships. Android products, otoh, sit for weeks. You never hear about any sell outs unless it is one or two "flagship" phones.

As for the activations, it's 550000 but most of those are cheapy phones in which the user doesn't even use the "android-ness" of the phone.

The best-selling Android phones in the past year have been among the most expensive, on par price-wise(within $50 or less) with Apple's iPhone4.

As for whether iPhones/iPads sit on shelves, that's hard for anyone to say with certainty. Apple reports them as "sold" once Wal-mart, Verizon, Best Buy or whoever has paid for them and taken delivery. With Apple iPads, iPods, and iPhones in stock, on shelves, or in stockrooms and warehouses at thousands of Apple retail partners, claiming 99.9 are in consumer's hands would be a tough argument to prove.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The best-selling Android phones in the past year have been among the most expensive, on par price-wise(within $50 or less) with Apple's iPhone4.

As for whether iPhones/iPads sit on shelves, that's hard for anyone to say with certainty. Apple reports them as "sold" once Wal-mart, Verizon, Best Buy or whoever has paid for them and taken delivery. With Apple iPads, iPods, and iPhones in stock, on shelves, or in stockrooms and warehouses at thousands of Apple retail partners, claiming 99.9 are in consumer's hands would be a tough argument to prove.

No, Apple reports sold to end-users. The other electronics company reports shipped to the retail. And it's pretty easy to tell, go to those stores and see if they have any iProducts left and ask how long it's been sitting. The iphone 4 and 3GS were the top selling phones in the US last quarter. I did mention some flag ship phones for Android may have sold out...
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Consumer Reports: Apple?s iPad, iPhone top many holiday shopping lists this year

Apple seems poised for a strong holiday season, at least according to two new surveys. Both those doing the shopping and those writing up their own personal wish lists seem to be in sync about one thing: Apple?s iPad and iPhone are in high demand.

http://gigaom.com/apple/apples-ipad-...sts-this-year/
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Did AppleInsider just post an article referring to the next iPad without naming it "iPad 3"????

Wow. +1 Keep up the good work

Yeah... It's an iPad 5, with:

-- A7 CPU (which is based on an ARM A10 with 8 cores and 4 Core GPU)

-- iOS 6.0

-- Siri 2.0

-- Cell Radio 4G

-- Due 3Q 12

Internal code named: BoWahDiddle

3-6-9-12...

who do we like better than ourselves

BoWahDiddle...

BoWahDiddle...

Yay, BoWahDiddle!
  • Reply 27 of 46
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

That doesn't mean anything in terms of the actual installed product mix, however. There are dozens, if not hundreds of Android handsets on the market. Being a "best seller" under those conditions just means selling more than any one other handset, which doesn't mean that all those other handsets aren't selling in vastly more numbers, in the aggregate.

Quote:

Yeah, those long waits to get your hands on an iPhone or iPad, the frequent sell-outs and Apple's near continuous struggle to meet demand are because vendors are just willy-nilly ordering truckloads of product that isn't needed so they can have excess inventory.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:

No, Apple reports sold to end-users. The other electronics company reports shipped to the retail.

Apple's official 10K filing with the SEC says:

“(Apple) recognizes revenue when persuasive evidence of an arrangement exists, delivery has occurred, the sales price is fixed or determinable, and collection is probable. Product is considered delivered to the customer once it has been shipped and title and risk of loss have been transferred. For most of (Apple)’s product sales, these criteria are met at the time the product is shipped.. . ."

As far as Apple is concerned when reporting quarterly results, the "sale" occurred when Best Buy, Wal-mart, etc took delivery of the product.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:

Can't you read?????

I just said that only Apple sells whilst Android are now filling shelves going from Anchorage to Seoul via Brussels and Johannesburg. No-one buys these stuff. The activation figures are a lie!
  • Reply 30 of 46
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Once again, you should really stop posting about business issues since you clearly don't understand the way it works.

Apple presumably counts it as a sale when shipped. It has nothing to do with when the customer takes delivery - and certainly not when the retailer has paid for them.

Normal terms in retail are 30 days or more after shipment. Last time I did business with Walmart, they insisted on payment 90 days after delivery. Either way, the iPad is almost certainly sold long before the retailer pays Apple for it. Yet another advantage to Apple being so cash-rich. They don't need to rely on payments for today's cash needs.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:

Is that really true?

I was in a Radio Sack yesterday, and I was surprised at how many free smartphones were available. Some of them were pretty nice looking.

The coolest phones, of course, cost anywhere between $150 and $300. Are they really the best sellers?

And BTW, I was handling a bunch of different phones with gigantic screens, trying to figure out if they were too big for my hands, or too big for my pockets. I have large hands, and I was able to traverse the whole screen with my thumb without a problem, even on the biggest. And several of the really big ones were extremely thin, except for a small area housing the camera or part of the battery or whatever. It seemed with some of them that the thicker portion added to the feel in the hand - it made it easy to hold the phone, while adding something much smaller than a pack of gum to the bulk.

But is it really true that the more expensive phones outsell the cheap/free phones in general? Recently we saw that the i4S was outselling the FreeGS, which is evidence in favor. But I've not really examined the lists of best selling phones in enough detail to know if the expensive ones are outselling the cheapies in all cases.

And it is significant that more people go with a free iPhone than buy any Android phone at any price. That is strong evidence that Free is a very powerful tool, especially when coupled with an otherwise less desirable product.

So do the expensive phones dominate the top 10? Are there notable exceptions like the FreeGS, or are there enough cheapies in the list to conclude that FreePhones are doing as well as SOTA phones?
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:

Apple's official 10K filing with the SEC says:

“(Apple) recognizes revenue when persuasive evidence of an arrangement exists, delivery has occurred, the sales price is fixed or determinable, and collection is probable. Product is considered delivered to the customer once it has been shipped and title and risk of loss have been transferred. For most of (Apple)’s product sales, these criteria are met at the time the product is shipped.. . ."

As far as Apple is concerned when reporting quarterly results, the "sale" occurred when Best Buy, Wal-mart, etc took delivery of the product.

Yes!

Apple also says (in answer to earnings call questions) that they try and maintain a 4-6 week supply of product in the channel -- so they have a continuous supply of product to sell.

This will vary: new product ramp-up; older product EOL; seasonal supply and demand; unforeseen shortages/disasters; promotions...

Apple knows what each reseller has in stock (reported weekly or daily).

They take extra care to avoid excess inventory anywhere in the supply chain.

Everyone loses if product sits in inventory and has to be returned -- incurring extra costs, upsetting the supply chain balance.

Ideally, every reseller would be stocking the shelf with a just-delivered product as the customer reaches to buy it...

This is an unattainable goal -- the maintenance of product in the channel provides a buffer.

Apple is unique in they do not allow resellers to set the price (other than a percent or so discount).

This all means that Apple must police and maintain a channel balance!

Apple does not channel stuff -- Apple managers or Mfgr reps who try to do so are replaced.

I have no experience with Rim, Sony, Moogle, Sammy et all -- but it is quite obvious they are shipping a lot more to resellers than are being sold to customers (by whatever agreements).

That is channel stuffing!

And the results of channel stuffing are heavy discounts!

• Reply 33 of 46
    iPad, other iOS devices top kids' holiday wish lists, says study from Nielsen

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57...ol;editorPicks
  • Reply 34 of 46
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Is that really true?

I was in a Radio Sack yesterday, and I was surprised at how many free smartphones were available. Some of them were pretty nice looking.

The coolest phones, of course, cost anywhere between $150 and $300. Are they really the best sellers?

And BTW, I was handling a bunch of different phones with gigantic screens, trying to figure out if they were too big for my hands, or too big for my pockets. I have large hands, and I was able to traverse the whole screen with my thumb without a problem, even on the biggest. And several of the really big ones were extremely thin, except for a small area housing the camera or part of the battery or whatever. It seemed with some of them that the thicker portion added to the feel in the hand - it made it easy to hold the phone, while adding something much smaller than a pack of gum to the bulk.

But is it really true that the more expensive phones outsell the cheap/free phones in general? Recently we saw that the i4S was outselling the FreeGS, which is evidence in favor. But I've not really examined the lists of best selling phones in enough detail to know if the expensive ones are outselling the cheapies in all cases.

And it is significant that more people go with a free iPhone than buy any Android phone at any price. That is strong evidence that Free is a very powerful tool, especially when coupled with an otherwise less desirable product.

So do the expensive phones dominate the top 10? Are there notable exceptions like the FreeGS, or are there enough cheapies in the list to conclude that FreePhones are doing as well as SOTA phones?

See my post above. To be an Android best seller, you only need outsell any given other phone, of which there are many. So that for instance, best seller A can sell 1,000 units but still be outsold by cheap phones B, C, D, E, and F, each of which sell only a fraction of that number.

Since there are so many cheap or free Android phones on the market, it wouldn't be surprising if cheap and free made up the bulk of allover sales.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Once again, you should really stop posting about business issues since you clearly don't understand the way it works.

Apple presumably counts it as a sale when shipped. It has nothing to do with when the customer takes delivery - and certainly not when the retailer has paid for them.

Normal terms in retail are 30 days or more after shipment. Last time I did business with Walmart, they insisted on payment 90 days after delivery. Either way, the iPad is almost certainly sold long before the retailer pays Apple for it. Yet another advantage to Apple being so cash-rich. They don't need to rely on payments for today's cash needs.

You should really read my posts in their entirety before presuming I'm mistaken. Per Apple a sale has been counted once "delivery has occurred, the sales price is fixed or determinable, and collection is probable. Product is considered delivered to the customer once it has been shipped and title and risk of loss have been transferred.

Title would not transfer before payment was arranged would it? I'm quite aware of how retail works. I've been on both sides of it for much of my adult working life. What you may consider "typical" doesn't necessarily apply to Apple's terms. Apple seems quite clear on what is required to consider a sale to have occurred.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Can't you read?????

I just said that only Apple sells whilst Android are now filling shelves going from Anchorage to Seoul via Brussels and Johannesburg. No-one buys these stuff. The activation figures are a lie!

i thought you were being sarcastic. My apologies.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Here's my guess:

The component manufacturers are sitting on Apple parts which they have already paid to make, but have not yet been able to sell to Apple. Apple cuts orders. Apple demands discounts and threatens to further cut orders. Desperate component manufacturers comply.

Tim is masterful.

Huh? How can one be paid for something and then have to sell it again?
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

A little off topic I know, but is anyone else having problems with their Safari crashing? Mine started a few weeks ago, and crashes EVERY session I uses my iPad. At least two or three times a session. Getting really tired of this......

Mine crashes on gigantic web sites that don't know how to resize their images to something sane--these are sites that take a long time to load even on a computer over a 15Mbps cable link. I simply avoid those sites on the iPad, but even when I visit them, the iPad 1 can handle it; it just dumps everything else in memory to do it, so not sure what is causing you problems. So the first thing I would try is to close all open web pages except whatever you are visiting.

The second thing I would recommend is reboot your iPad. It normally isn't necessary (it's not running Android, after all), but it helps to dump all other running apps sitting in RAM. I know, it shouldn't be necessary and all, but it does help.

If that still doesn't work, try backing up and restoring your iPad through iTunes. This is Apple's usual go-to procedure for weird problems like this, and sometimes it works. If you contact Apple support, that's the first thing they'll recommend.

If none of the above works, make a genius bar appointment of you live near an Apple Store and ask them to look into it. They can access the crash reports generated when an app fails, and might be able to suggest a solution.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    My poor Freudian eyes almost gave me a heart attack!

Maybe I actually do need a smartphone with a bigger screen?
  • Reply 40 of 46
    QUOTE=Dick Applebaum

To put it in Household terms:

We want at least 1 turkey, 1 ham and 1 Prime Rib

We plan for opportunity -- and to deliver the best results at the lowest cost.

[/QUOTE]

I'll accept the ham and the prime rib, but there ain't no turkeys in Apple's inventory!