Apple reportedly reduced iPad 2 orders because it bought 16M last quarter

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah... It's an iPad 5, with:

-- A7 CPU (which is based on an ARM A10 with 8 cores and 4 Core GPU)

-- iOS 6.0

-- Siri 2.0

-- Cell Radio 4G

-- Due 3Q 12

Ahem, that would be Siri 1.0.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

Ahem, that would be Siri 1.0.

"Siri, who are you?"

Siri: "I am Siri 2.0 -- what is your wish, oh omnipotent one"

"What happened to Siri 1.0"

"We went from beta directly to 2.0 because many people don't like a 1.0 version"
  • Reply 43 of 46
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You should really read my posts in their entirety before presuming I'm mistaken. Per Apple a sale has been counted once "delivery has occurred, the sales price is fixed or determinable, and collection is probable. Product is considered delivered to the customer once it has been shipped and title and risk of loss have been transferred.

Title would not transfer before payment was arranged would it? I'm quite aware of how retail works. I've been on both sides of it for much of my adult working life. What you may consider "typical" doesn't necessarily apply to Apple's terms. Apple seems quite clear on what is required to consider a sale to have occurred.

It depends on what they mean by customer -since Apple sells directly to the customer via their online store they almost certainly mean final retail customer. They distinguish between channel and sales in the conference call, but if customer = channel they couldn't.

That said I am equivocal about the claim that they over-produced for last Quarter, as I don't recall them saying they ended with a months channel. Open to correction.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It depends on what they mean by customer -since Apple sells directly to the customer via their online store they almost certainly mean final retail customer. They distinguish between channel and sales in the conference call, but if customer = channel they couldn't.

That said I am equivocal about the claim that they over-produced for last Quarter, as I don't recall them saying they ended with a months channel. Open to correction.

The "customer' is the one who purchased the product from Apple, whether it's a direct retail sale or to Verizon, Best Buy, etc. That's the end of the road as far as Apple's revenue from the device itself, and thus the sale that's complete and counted.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Wait, isn't stockpiling units like this the sort of thing that you guys normally criticise Samsung, HTC et-al about?

The difference is that the other companies, not Apple, will announce they sold X number to retailers as if they were sold to the end user and a month or two later we still find them still siting unsold in the retailer's warehouse.

Apple reports the numbers actually sold to end users every quarter. The market research companies make up numbers and stories for Apple to support their particular opinion of how Apple is doing because Apple won't tell them squat in advance. Blame the rumor stories saying demand for Apple ()insert product name here) is declining or whatever on these analysts SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guesses) nothing more.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Mine crashes on gigantic web sites that don't know how to resize their images to something sane--these are sites that take a long time to load even on a computer over a 15Mbps cable link. I simply avoid those sites on the iPad, but even when I visit them, the iPad 1 can handle it; it just dumps everything else in memory to do it, so not sure what is causing you problems. So the first thing I would try is to close all open web pages except whatever you are visiting.

The second thing I would recommend is reboot your iPad. It normally isn't necessary (it's not running Android, after all), but it helps to dump all other running apps sitting in RAM. I know, it shouldn't be necessary and all, but it does help.

If that still doesn't work, try backing up and restoring your iPad through iTunes. This is Apple's usual go-to procedure for weird problems like this, and sometimes it works. If you contact Apple support, that's the first thing they'll recommend.

If none of the above works, make a genius bar appointment of you live near an Apple Store and ask them to look into it. They can access the crash reports generated when an app fails, and might be able to suggest a solution.

Thanks, I'll check into this.