George Clooney, Noah Wyle battling to play Steve Jobs in biopic

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dav View Post

get Edward Norton!

'Primal Fear' LOVED that movie. Great Actor who runs rings around Clooney and Wyle IMO...

/

/

/
  • Reply 22 of 137
    Christian Bale would be awesome.
  • Reply 23 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

Christian Bale would be awesome.

He might be a good choice, did you see the Machinist? WOW! He could certainly carry it off.
  • Reply 24 of 137
    Clooney is way too old. They need somebody who can look young enough to play a twenty something Jobs convincingly. Making an actor look older is not difficult, making them look 30 years younger is.

Somebody said Tom Cruise and while at first I was skeptical, this image changed my mind:

Tom Cruise is an excellent actor and could pull off every relevant stage of Steve Jobs' life.

Runner up: Ashton Kutcher

Though he bares a resemblance and could play a young Steve Jobs and then carry the rest of the film, I'm not sure his acting chops are up to par. Every part I've seen him play, is almost identical to Kelso from That 70's Show. Could he portray Jobs' strong personality?
  • Reply 25 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Clooney is way too old. They need somebody who can look young enough to play a twenty something Jobs convincingly. Making an actor look older is not difficult, making them look 30 years younger is.

Somebody said Tom Cruise and while at first I was skeptical, this image changed my mind:

Tom Cruise is an excellent actor and could pull off every relevant stage of Steve Jobs' life.

Is that a new photo or old one of Cruise? Bloody hell, what age is he now, I thought he was 50? He must be injecting stem cells directly into his face! Drinking the blood of virgins or something
  • Reply 26 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Wylie for the under 40 Jobs (hippie Jobs), Christian Bale for over 40 Jobs (business icon Jobs). Plus, Bale can handle all the swearing scenes. Sorry, Clooney. I think your phone is ringing...Soderberg wants to make another Oceans movie.

I second the choice for Christian Bale to portray healthy vs thin Steve. Remember how he lost a ton of weight when he appeared in The Machinist?
  • Reply 27 of 137
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Cloonie is a better actor then Wylie by far, but there are several other interesting options. How about Tom Cruise? or Ashton Kutcher? or Elliot Carver, or .... It really depends on the era the movie would focus on.

Have a look... Steve Jobs Look alikes

It is interesting that your link shows Jobs next to Gandhi. I have thought that Ben Kingsley (who played Gandhi) resembles the older Jobs, and Kingsley is a great actor.
  • Reply 28 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aljawad View Post

I second the choice for Christian Bale to portray healthy vs thin Steve. Remember how he lost a ton of weight when he appeared in The Machinist?

Of anyone mentioned here so far, Bale would be the best choice IMO. Amazing actor.
  • Reply 29 of 137
    Clooney is an asshole.
  • Reply 30 of 137
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I think the only thing that would truly work is a completely unknown actor. Otherwise, we won't see "Steve". We'll see Clooney or Bale or Wyle or whoever.

I think there have only been a handful of roles in all of movie history where you only see the character and not the actor. Brando in "The Godfather" was one and Dustin Hoffman in "Tootsie" was another, but that was easier since he played the character in drag. Jim Carey as comedian Andy Kaufman in "Man On the Moon" was also a case where the actor completely disappeared into the role. Gary Oldman also seems like totally different people in each role that he plays.

Another approach would be to use five different actors to reflect different aspects of Steve's character much like they did in that Bob Dylan movie of a few years ago, "I'm Not There". That movie featured Marcus Carl Franklin, Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Richard Gere, Heath Ledger and Ben Whishaw as different aspects of Dylan's character.

I really like George Clooney, but I simply cannot picture him playing Jobs. I'd rather see him as a candidate to direct the film.
  • Reply 31 of 137
    Throughout human history, the vanity of actors has remained a dependable constant.

Assuming the film will cover something other than the days of Job's illness and death, Clooney could only end up resembling Lucille Ball's grotesque parody of "Mame" at age 63: a delusional narcissist shot through a jar of digital Vaseline.

The Hollywood star system continues to amaze and baffle as all the studies of it continue to show that paying millions for "names" decreases the quality of films while failing to increase their profits.
  • Reply 32 of 137
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post

Clooney is an asshole.

I really appreciate your informed and thoughtful response. You've really added much to the discussion.
  • Reply 33 of 137
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    removed
  • Reply 34 of 137
    Quote:

I second that, Cruise is insane enough to carry on any scene.
  • Reply 35 of 137
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Clooney is an OK actor. If my only choices are Clooney and Wiley, however, I would vote for Wiley. You can tell he was a big Jobs fan. He also is a decent actor. Here he is impersonating Jobs live.

I really like the Christian Bale suggestion. Bale is very intense. Further, he really submerses himself in a role, and is a better actor then the other two combined.
  • Reply 36 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Wylie for the under 40 Jobs (hippie Jobs), Christian Bale for over 40 Jobs (business icon Jobs). Plus, Bale can handle all the swearing scenes. Sorry, Clooney. I think your phone is ringing...Soderberg wants to make another Oceans movie.

Except ...

... the "over 40" Jobs is not the swearing asshole Jobs, he's the nice guy who laughs a lot. Jobs was only really an angry asshole in his twenties.

Also, Christian Bale is not a great actor.

Looking intense and swearing a lot does not an actor make, and that "I'm Batman" voice he does is hilariously funny (cause it's so incredibly bad) more than it is scary or intense.
  • Reply 37 of 137
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Young Steve Jobs: Ashton Kutcher

Old Steve Jobs: Daniel Day-Lewis

Both-for-the-price-of-one: Christian Bale
  • Reply 38 of 137
    Quote:

... Tom Cruise is an excellent actor and could pull off every relevant stage of Steve Jobs' life. ...

Tom Cruise is widely recognised as one of the worst actors in Hollywood and has many more flops in his career than he has had successes. Several of his movies failed specifically by reason of his bad acting (at least according to the reviews).

Just sayin.
  • Reply 39 of 137
    I personally can't stand Christian Bale, and Cruise's flakiness is box office death. Wyle is my choice not only for his dead-ringer looks, but because he's a seasoned actor who knew Jobs and has played him before.

Cloonie is just wrong for the part but is probably good for the box office.

If they run out of ideas just get Paul Giamatti and be done with it

\t
  • Reply 40 of 137
    I like both Clooney and Wyle as decent actors, but I don't think either of them look, or sound, enough like Jobs to be convincing.

Christian Bale would be my choice. No one else would give more to the performance than Bale. His acting ability, especially his extreme dedication to his method, would not only enable him to portray Steve in his many iterations, but also compliment Steve's insistence on accepting nothing less than the very best.