Microsoft to follow Apple's Lion lead with digital delivery of Windows 8

Comments

• Reply 41 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

When I bought Windows 7 Home Premium (first version of windows I've ever actually paid for - bought 2 copies at £45 each with the pre order discount) you got both the 32 and 64 bit DVDs in the same box and a single license code, so I'm not sure they really count as separate products any more like they did with XP... You can't buy "Windows 7 32 bit" and "Windows 7 64 bit" separately.

Saying that though it could still get very confusing for your average consumer as to which DVD they need to install from...

I bought vista a while ago and that says "64-bit" on the box, no hint of 32-bit, even whilst installing. I also get copies of windows 7 free (courtesy of MSDNAA) and those only come with one DVD in a box with EITHER 32 or 64 bit installs on said DVD.
  • Reply 42 of 127
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

The thing I really hate about windows...

You have unused icons on your desktop...You have unused icons on your desktop. OK, OK stop it already.
  • Reply 43 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You have unused icons on your desktop...You have unused icons on your desktop. OK, OK stop it already.

Well maybe if you didn't put all my icons on the bloody desktop! STOP WITH THE ICONS! *cries in the corner*
  • Reply 44 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Which to download?

Windows 8 business edition

Windows 8 personal edition

Windows 8 executive edition

Windows 8 super secret edition

Windows 8 semi-personal, but mostly business edition

Windows 8 a little bit of business, but somewhat personal edition

Check, got it. Little bit of business, but somewhat personal.

Commence download... Wait 3 hours... Wait 2 more hours for security patches on a brand new os? (wtf!)... Wait 45 more minutes to configure and 50 restarts

Reboot final time, wait for screen to load, click on my computer... BSOD. I love windoze.

How about Windows 8 business in front, party in the back edition*.

* Yes I just implied that if you use Windows 8 you may be a redneck, or Canadian.
  • Reply 45 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

How about Windows 8 business in front, party in the back edition.

Best post of thread!
  • Reply 46 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I think it's unfair to say MS is "copying" Apple. They are certainly following their lead, but online SW distribution already existed.

I read today that there are to be 50 Ultrabooks at CES in January. That's a lot of machines without any internal optical drive. This was inevitable.
  • Reply 47 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Redmond start your photocopiers

I hate the burst your bubble but Microsoft had this option when Windows 7 came out...BEFORE...Lion.

Notice the download option on the right...

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/..._PID_235488300

Complete instructions on how to do it....with OUT a DVD drive...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...load-windows-7
  • Reply 48 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

I hate the burst your bubble but Microsoft had this option when Windows 7 came out...BEFORE...Lion.

Notice the download option on the right...

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/..._PID_235488300

Complete instructions on how to do it....with OUT a DVD drive...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...load-windows-7

Except for being an internet-based option that is pretty much the opposite of simple. MS is following Apple lead here, as usual.
  • Reply 49 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Which to download?

Windows 8 business edition

Windows 8 personal edition

Windows 8 executive edition

Windows 8 super secret edition

Windows 8 semi-personal, but mostly business edition

Windows 8 a little bit of business, but somewhat personal edition

Check, got it. Little bit of business, but somewhat personal.

Commence download... Wait 3 hours... Wait 2 more hours for security patches on a brand new os? (wtf!)... Wait 45 more minutes to configure and 50 restarts

Reboot final time, wait for screen to load, click on my computer... BSOD. I love windoze.

LOL. And true. Each edition will cost at least $129 for the upgrade.

And, I have actually seen Windows installer BSOD. No joke. It happened to me once while installing Windows XP, years ago. It BSOD while still in "DOS screen mode" during the initial setup screens, right before it asks you which drive you want to install Windows on. That was puzzling because during setup, ONLY MICROSOFT DRIVERS are running. Any BSOD is due to a bug in their drivers. Never going back to Windows.
  • Reply 50 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I can imagine quite a few disasters during the process as numerous pop ups tell users they need to click here and there to update this and that and that this has failed and that this was unable to find a driver. Windows will no doubt try to run an update the current version for many at the same times as it is downloading the new version and none of this takes into account the anti virus software trying to do its thing, or even their things. I've lost count of the PC users I have helped that had three or four anti virus programs all checking everything even though most had expired, they simply didn't have the latest databases but were still chugging along competing for CPU cycles and disk access...

Oh this will be fun.
  • Reply 51 of 127
    Went into Apple Store, saw an ad for Lion, and thought, hey... How about an impulse buy. Was going to get a family pack. But... Nowhere to be found.

Electronic distribution only or heavily pushed is stupid. Why pose obstacles to letting customers buy something? Have both... easily accessible.
  • Reply 52 of 127
    Holy, who woulda thunk it?

modern kitchens
  • Reply 53 of 127
    Consumers will also be able to purchase the latest biography by Sir Walter Isaacson named 'Steve Ballmer'. With a working title of 'Monkey Boy: The Chair Tamer' Isaacson threw caution to the wind and really let his creative juices flow writing this epic.

"I really felt so connected to this Steve, much more than the last one. Steve B is so ruggedly handsome, when I look upon his manly visage, I feel all funny in my little bits.. Teehee! He is like a sweaty Ronald Reagan! Sigh!"

Critics have applauded the latest book which was overwhelmingly positive in it's view of The Man From Redmond.

When asked for comment, Steve Ballmer was characteristically concise with his response. While chewing thoughtfully on a banana, he scratched his privates and then pronounced "Steve like".

Microsoft representatives could not be reached for comment, as they dealing with a 'I.T Problem' back in Redmond. Rumours were swirling that all of the companies computers has crashed while tried to upgrade to the latest version of Windows.
  • Reply 54 of 127
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I'm happy Microsoft is still loyal to Apple and keeps copying it instead of Google's OS. Plus for Redmond!
  • Reply 55 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

I bought vista a while ago and that says "64-bit" on the box, no hint of 32-bit, even whilst installing. I also get copies of windows 7 free (courtesy of MSDNAA) and those only come with one DVD in a box with EITHER 32 or 64 bit installs on said DVD.

You bought Vista only a while ago? Are you a masochist or something?
  • Reply 56 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Went into Apple Store, saw an ad for Lion, and thought, hey... How about an impulse buy. Was going to get a family pack. But... Nowhere to be found.

Because there's no such thing as a family pack anymore. Please read up on stuff before just randomly going to buy it.

Quote:

Electronic distribution only or heavily pushed is stupid. Why pose obstacles to letting customers buy something? Have both... easily accessible.

They are. Both. Accessible.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD256Z/A
  • Reply 57 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You bought Vista only a while ago? You are a mosochocist or something?

A while ago being 2007. Shortly afterwards I said to myself "fuck it, I'm buying a Mac!" - and now I have two.
  • Reply 58 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I'm happy Microsoft is still loyal to Apple and keeps copying it instead of Google's OS. Plus for Redmond!

They haven't figured out how to copy anyone else yet. Thirty years is a long time in one rut you know!
  • Reply 59 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

How about Windows 8 business in front, party in the back edition*.

* Yes I just implied that if you use Windows 8 you may be a redneck, or Canadian.

Will the startup music for that edition of Windows be Achy Breaky Heart?
  • Reply 60 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It happened to me once while installing Windows XP, years ago. It BSOD while still in "DOS screen mode" during the initial setup screens, right before it asks you which drive you want to install Windows on. That was puzzling because during setup, ONLY MICROSOFT DRIVERS are running. Any BSOD is due to a bug in their drivers. Never going back to Windows.

Probably some hardware issue. Not the installer application's fault. Usually bad memory or HD partition has unmarked bad blocks, etc.