Microsoft to follow Apple's Lion lead with digital delivery of Windows 8

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

A while ago being 2007. Shortly afterwards I said to myself "fuck it, I'm buying a Mac!" - and now I have two.

Phew! That's a relief ... I read into it 'just' ... a while ago. My bad.
  • Reply 62 of 127
    But Windows 7 was already offered as a digital download right from the start. I remember getting free copies of both 32 bits and 64 bits version of Windows 7 Professional off the MSDN Academic Alliance website years ago. And the installation process sure had improved over the previous versions. Can't wait to see if the stuffs they claim for Windows 8 are true.
  • Reply 63 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Will the startup music for that edition of Windows be Achy Breaky Heart?

Come on, you are assuming the sound drivers work!
  • Reply 64 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Mock Turtleneck View Post

But Windows 7 was already offered as a digital download right from the start. I remember getting free copies of both 32 bits and 64 bits version of Windows 7 Professional off the MSDN Academic Alliance website years ago. And the installation process sure had improved over the previous versions. Can't wait to see if the stuffs they claim for Windows 8 are true.

Did it actually install or just give them the data to burn an install disk the traditional way?
  • Reply 65 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Did it actually install or just give them the data to burn an install disk the traditional way?

If I remember correctly, you get an ISO file which you could mount it on a USB disk or burn it onto a DVD prior to installation. Or is this article talking about some other forms of digital delivery?
  • Reply 66 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Is Redmond going to also copy the price points of Apples operating systems sold on the Mac App Store? I doubt it lol.

Simple : they will show their table size tablet

(http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-pre-order.ars)

Which will demonstrate they can make BIGGER products than Apple, in BIGGER stores
  • Reply 67 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

If I remember correctly, you get an ISO file which you could mount it on a USB disk or burn it onto a DVD prior to installation. Or is this article talking about some other forms of digital delivery?

There is also another option to do an install from an installation on the current version without needing an external disc. But it's nowhere as straightforward and simple as Lion is and Win8 will be.

PS: One thing I wish Apple would do is make creating a bootable installer disk/disc an option that doesn't require you to jump through some hoops. The directions are simple enough to follow, but you'll definitely need to look up the first time to know where to find the DMG and how to copy/burn it using Disk Utility. This is one area where MS is considerably more straightforward than Apple. It's great they have the Recovery Partition but having to re-download 4GB again if you choose to reinstall is a PITA.
  • Reply 68 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Went into Apple Store, saw an ad for Lion, and thought, hey... How about an impulse buy. Was going to get a family pack. But... Nowhere to be found.

Electronic distribution only or heavily pushed is stupid. Why pose obstacles to letting customers buy something? Have both... easily accessible.

Some things to consider:

1) Electronic only distro reduces costs, warehousing, packaging, labor, disposing of obsolete stock

2) That contributes to lower retail prices, green effect... all beneficial

3) A single Lion download is installable on multiple Macs -- Every Lion is a Family Pack
  • Reply 69 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wish it would stop telling me it found new hardware wanting to install drivers for my RAID, a couple minutes after it already booted from said RAID.

Have you installed the newest drivers from the manufacturer? Unless you're dealing with something very obscure or outdated*, my guess is that there is an easy solution.

Generally you get that error if you are using a driver which is missing a digital signature.

If your manufacturer does not have a proper driver, get a new RAID, because you likely have more to worry about than an annoying workaround. I assume that your data is valuable to you.

*(Unless you are running XP or 2000 or something or a very old RAID with Win7).
  • Reply 70 of 127
    Quote:

The Lion install is from a user point of view, 'click to purchase and install'. Come back later and you are running Lion. An 83 year old lady I help did this herself on an iMac last week.
  • Reply 71 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Which to download?

Windows 8 business edition

Windows 8 personal edition

Windows 8 executive edition

Windows 8 super secret edition

Windows 8 semi-personal, but mostly business edition

Windows 8 a little bit of business, but somewhat personal edition

Check, got it. Little bit of business, but somewhat personal.

Commence download... Wait 3 hours... Wait 2 more hours for security patches on a brand new os? (wtf!)... Wait 45 more minutes to configure and 50 restarts

Reboot final time, wait for screen to load, click on my computer... BSOD. I love windoze.

Well...

If I, personally, had a small business... ...not saying that I do, mind you... what version of Windows 8 should I get?

...I need something that will not only tickle my fancy... but will reach my expectations...

Ooops... got a little sidetracked there... Sorry!

• Reply 72 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Well maybe if you didn't put all my icons on the bloody desktop! STOP WITH THE ICONS! *cries in the corner*

That is the thing I hate most about iOS. It looks like a newbie using a Windows machine.

I find the "all your icons in a grid" paradigm to be much less useful than other methods.
  • Reply 73 of 127
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

That is the thing I hate most about iOS. It looks like a newbie using a Windows machine.

I find the "all your icons in a grid" paradigm to be much less useful than other methods.

I wish you could make custom icons for folders on iOS.
  • Reply 74 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Oh poor you. I'm sure Apple will alter their failed UI when they read this.
  • Reply 75 of 127
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

Probably some hardware issue. Not the installer application's fault. Usually bad memory or HD partition has unmarked bad blocks, etc.

People think that updating to a new OS on a barely functioning POS will magically cure everything that ails it. It doesn't work that way.
  • Reply 76 of 127
    Quote:

I wish you could make custom icons for folders on iOS.

Yeah. They all appear in a grid which moves around when you change the location of any other icon. And they all look so similar to each other that you need to read the label, obviating the need for an icon in the first place.

Other app launchers work better.
  • Reply 77 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Yeah, Windows 7 included both w/the purchase, but Vista sold them separately I believe and the 64 bit version of XP was something that came along down the pipe. I'm sure wikipedia will correct me if I'm wrong

Windows XP 64 bit Edition was a ridiculously expensive, never really supported that well afterthought if memory serves...

I've never seen 64bit vista so I wasn't sure how that was sold - One of my old laptops came with 32 bit vista preinstalled which I upgraded to Windows 7 at the very first public preview opportunity as even early alpha / beta windows 7 was far more reliable than vista.

Vista sucked big time... windows 7 is a vast improvement and a I find it a very stable and usable operating system all things considered... As I said earlier, it's the first Windows version I've seen fit to actually hand over cash for retail copies.

I've never owned a mac (boo, hiss!, I know ) so my experience of OSX is pretty limited to make any comparisons to windows of any version.
  • Reply 78 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh poor you. I'm sure Apple will alter their failed UI when they read this.

Not when their current (and their targeted) customer base includes so many people who use the "grid of icons" approach on their current PCs.

Apple knows what makes most of their customers comfortable. That is one reason for their success.
  • Reply 79 of 127
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If you can buy their OS online...

With what will MS stock the shelves of their high-priced retail stores?

Items for purchase at a MajorCrap retail store:

1. MS branded USB keyboard

2. MS branded USB mouse

3. MS branded wireless keyboard

4. MS branded wireless mouse

5. MS branded PS/2 to USB adapter

6. Empty boxes displaying Windoze 8 OS. Tear sheets listing URL for download purchase (free)

7. MS decals (copied from 1984-2011 Apple decals)

8. Maps & directions to nearest Apple Store (free with any MS purchase)
  • Reply 80 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garamond View Post

Monkey see. Monkey do.

Yes, because Apple pioneered downloading software of the internet