Apple television expected in mid-2012 as competition is 'scrambling'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

If the Apple TV replaces or can be used as a computer, to make a phone call? I must admit I'm not sure what it would need to do (better) then what I have right now, to make me want to purchase one?

I'm the kind of person that likes a:

- Good Camera

- Good Phone

- Good Computer

- Good Television

- Good laptop

- Good iPod

Which is why I have at least one of each of these. NO one item out there (current), can replace all of the above FOR ME.

When we start seeing the folks covering the NFL, NBA, Golf and other sporting events, snapping photo's with their iPhone

When we start seeing the folks at National Geographic using their iPhones for photo's while on Safari, or filming whales.

Might some of these things happen, yes. Might we put another few 1,000 folks (likely to more in the 10's of thousands) out of work (the paper industry & forestry business) ? yes. Are we ok with that?

Very few of us, even use what we currently have to it's fullest capabilities, and now we want to add something new to the mix.

These are very interesting times with live in (and a bit scary). I'm going to sit back and watch if you all don't mind.

Skip

Not sure what you are talking about. I think Magnavox or RCA back in the 60's tried to integrate the phone to the TV, big failure. Gateway in the late 80's or early 90's tried to integrate a computer into a TV.Another big failure. Not sure where you get this swiss army knife idea.
  • Reply 82 of 260
    Well now that Google doesn't have anyone on the Apple board to spy on their TV decisions, let's see how much Google can actually help the other TV manufacturers. Or maybe Avon and J.Crew are plotting to join forces to enter the TV market soon?
  • Reply 83 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Yup!

Snip>

Now add mobile control (recording if need be like with TVTV here in Germany) AND streaming what ever you've recorded, synced through iCloud... well nobody can deny that wouldn't be impressive.

Actually, I should probably take out the "recording" bit due to the Apple Store, and Americans being able to have such great services like Netflix and Hulu, something we don't here in Germany.

While every pundit likes to take a poke at Apple, that they don't include DVR functionality in the ATV so that they can rent and sell more movies, I actually think it's because of the ease of use and integration factor that motivates Apple. It's not a "huge" amount contributing to the bottom line... but the ease of use IS paramount to the differentiation of their devices. The Eco-System sells more hardware devices, that gives them their real margins and profit.

Unfortunately... I need recording capabilities to watch my ESPN at a decent hour of the day
  • Reply 84 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

If the Apple TV replaces or can be used as a computer, to make a phone call? I must admit I'm not sure what it would need to do (better) then what I have right now, to make me want to purchase one?

I'm the kind of person that likes a:

- Good Camera

- Good Phone

- Good Computer

- Good Television

- Good laptop

- Good iPod

Which is why I have at least one of each of these. NO one item out there (current), can replace all of the above FOR ME.

When we start seeing the folks covering the NFL, NBA, Golf and other sporting events, snapping photo's with their iPhone

When we start seeing the folks at National Geographic using their iPhones for photo's while on Safari, or filming whales.

Might some of these things happen, yes. Might we put another few 1,000 folks (likely to more in the 10's of thousands) out of work (the paper industry & forestry business) ? yes. Are we ok with that?

Very few of us, even use what we currently have to it's fullest capabilities, and now we want to add something new to the mix.

These are very interesting times with live in (and a bit scary). I'm going to sit back and watch if you all don't mind.

Skip

I agree in general, people have gone too far in claiming things are obsolete like a laptop, computer or good camera. There will be some people that can do that in certain circumstances like if you only do the most basic checking of email and browsing, or only take quick snaps and videos of the kids and don't care about things like ISO, Shutter speed, and aperture.

But I find it hard to justify owning an iPod and smartphone. The iPhone does everything an iPod does without any loss of features. I have no intention of buying an iPod or any music player again.
  • Reply 85 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I think this has got to be one of the most absurb things I've heard any analyst claim (and we've heard some pretty absurd things from these guys). Nobody has a clue what this phantom Apple TV might be, even Misek says he has no idea what features it would include, and he's claiming that the competition is already 6-12 months behind? Behind what?

I thought this exact same thing. Great observations all around, I agree with you.
  • Reply 86 of 260
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Hopefully with Full Picture-in-Picture (Full PiP), which requires at least two Digital Terrestrial Television (DTTV or DTT) tuners inside the TV set. After image quality, that is the most important feature of a TV set for many people. Which manufacturers/models deliver that now?
  • Reply 87 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Not sure what you are talking about. I think Magnavox or RCA back in the 60's tried to integrate the phone to the TV, big failure. Gateway in the late 80's or early 90's tried to integrate a computer into a TV.Another big failure. Not sure where you get this swiss army knife idea.

I'm not sure you understood what he said??? He wasn't talking about adding all those things in a TV. It was only a list of things Apple has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they can innovate and re-imagine.

Oh... and why couldn't Facetime, which is essentially a phone, be integrated into a TV today? And please don't tell me that my Mac Mini is not a computer, that allows me to watch TV on the big screen (see my post above).

Just sayin'...
  • Reply 88 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

We'll know more when they leave one in a bar.

Imagine a big screen HDTV left in a bar
  • Reply 89 of 260
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

I think an AppleTv would have to make it easy to cancel cable. For that to happen today, it would have to have a tuner for live over the air hd broadcasts, along with a built in DVR. iTunes would have to have all the popular shows readily available (that's where it could get tricky... shows like Dexter aren't available the next day, I think). I would think there would be an overlay similar to what Elgato's software does. I always wondered why Apple never bought them. I would think you would never have to switch sources, because itunes would be a channel, your mac would be a channel, netflix would be a channel, and maybe even ota channels would just be called NBC, ABC, CBS, etc...

Of course I have no real idea... it's just something I know I would like to have.

sprint is an investor in clearwire and there is also lightsquared trying to get their network up. wireless bandwidth is in the process of some huge speed increases.

don't need OTA, a TV just has to be able to receive wimax signals and apple can beam itunes content directly to iTV's
  • Reply 90 of 260
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

iCloud is *not* ready for prime time. The launch was just as bad as Mobile Me.

Please elaborate. I came from MobileMe and the transition was relatively painless for me. I would much preferred not having two AppleID's but the functionality is pretty good.

I'm not using (yet) all the iCloud function as I'm taking the slow and methodical route. I love that it syncs everything with my iDevices and my friends that have purchased their first iMacs and owning iPhones love that capability as well.

What problems are you having with it?
  • Reply 91 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Completely different market. Completely different industry. Completely different margins and business styles.

Having said that, I don't believe Apple will be making an HDTV. Simply a non-hobby Apple TV.

Google will accuse Apple of copying them. Remember, the Google TV came out FIRST, so anything Apple does is obviously a copy of that.

like you have any f***king clue about what markets are. You're probably the same person that said the iPhone, and iPad would fail because they have "completely different margins and business styles." If Apple is truly going forth with making a tv, it will sell. There is ALWAYS room for improvement. As long as Apple offers something no one else does while making it easy to use and stylish people will flock to it. Apple has never really been the first to do something, just the first do do it right.
  • Reply 92 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

You're probably the same person that said the iPhone, and iPad would fail because they have "completely different margins and business styles."

No, that isn't the case.

And the rest of your argument falls apart because of that.

Quote:

If Apple is truly going forth with making a tv, it will sell.

Just like if Apple is truly going forth with making a stereo, it will sell.

Quote:

There is ALWAYS room for improvement. As long as Apple offers something no one else does while making it easy to use and stylish people will flock to it. Apple has never really been the first to do something, just the first do do it right.

Absolutely. But it doesn't need to be done as a television proper.
  • Reply 93 of 260
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Question: What does anyone need with an 80" TV, and where could anyone put it? Also, why would you wait for a $99 Apple TV box to buy an HDTV? Or even if you believe Apple's making a TV, the rumors have only ever said 50", so you don't seem to be in their fictional market, anyway.

Ever heard of a media room? Here in dfw- I would guess 10% of the new houses have them. I have 110". Why is that crazy? Tons of people with basements have projectors and huge TVs. And guess what- most people have TWO TVs! So while I have 110" in my media room that I use exclusively for blu rays and some sports- I have a 50" in my den that I use for everything else and 80% of my watching. And that's where I'd want an iTV if it existed. Just because you don't have a use for an 80" tv doesn't mean tens of thousands of people dont.
  • Reply 94 of 260
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I will not believe this until there's an announcement.

I think when Jobs said he'd finally cracked TV and it was the "simplest interface imaginable" he was referring to AirPlay. Given that Isaacson is notoriously bad with technical context and doesn't give dates for anything, I find this plausible.

Most of the rumours make no sense at all.
  • Reply 95 of 260
    Why is this so hard to imagine for some of you folks out there?

Read your comments carefully. They are the EXACT same comments I read before the iPhone came out... and the iPad. EXACTLY!

Did Apple... or did they not... just recently, turn a mature industry completely upside down with only 1 (ONE!) presentation?! The iPhone. In an industry that they would NEVER have success in is what we read over and over.

In less than 4 years... it is "The Phone" that every single manufacturer has to match and beat to be called relevant; carriers pay small fortunes just to be able to sell it; and people wait in lines for days to get their hands on one!

iPad is in a market by itself. Everything else is "just a tablet".

Way back when: iPod... and still holding over 80% of the market.

Very recently: the ultra portable notebook... everything else is "just a netbook" Intel and MS be damned!

Geez!

How many times does Apple need to prove that they are the ones to watch? Could they fail? Possibly... but I'm not going to be the fool that bets against them any time soon.
  • Reply 96 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

like you have any f***king clue about what markets are. You're probably the same person that said the iPhone, and iPad would fail because they have "completely different margins and business styles." If Apple is truly going forth with making a tv, it will sell. There is ALWAYS room for improvement. As long as Apple offers something no one else does while making it easy to use and stylish people will flock to it. Apple has never really been the first to do something, just the first do do it right.

Consider this post "Liked" +1
  • Reply 97 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

-Built in Blu-Ray player (this is realistic for a TV...)

Why! Why would anyone restrict themselves to a built in player?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Please do.

There are unquestionable problems with iCloud and iPhone 4S battery life.

They need to be fixed, pronto.

And for the other 50 weeks in the year they will design stuff like the new TV.

Quote:

I'd buy it.
  • Reply 98 of 260
    Quote:

No, that isn't the case.

And the rest of your argument falls apart because of that.

Absolutely. But it doesn't need to be done as a television proper.

What is a "television proper"?

To me it's only a dumb-screen, kinda like a normal LCD display, until ya hook it up to (preferably) a Mac. Sadly, most LCDs remain dumb because they have a Winbox shoveling the S.... to 'em.
  • Reply 99 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I'd buy it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

What is a "television proper"?

A dumb LCD display with some ports on it.

Quote:

To me it's only a dumb-screen, kinda like a normal LCD display, until ya hook it up to (preferably) a Mac.

Yes, that's exactly it. Everyone has one of those. Most people have more than one of them. Why not, I don't know, sell to THAT market rather than the people buying brand new televisions?
  • Reply 100 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rtapps View Post

I would love to see my Apple remote app work with Siri. People are missing the point with their idiotic rants about having to shout. If you want to search for a T.V. show it will be easier to use Siri than typing it out.

Me: "Find episodes of Breaking Bad."

Siri: "Okay here is a list of Channels Showing Breaking Bad. I've Listed them by time"

Then you tap one if it's currently showing.

Siri works just fine even with other people in the room. I am always demonstrating it at work for people when it comes to looking at weather or putting my work schedule in, then go on to show how Siri can help me find 'God'.

You got it. The Apple TV is the first product in a new class of voice driven products.