HP's Chairman using MacBook Air, may detail webOS plans next week

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

"Oh, my goodness!

This Mac thing really is quite "the bomb" as the kids these days would say, isn't it?"
  • Reply 42 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whytoi View Post

Not too different when Steve Jobs came back to Apple and was seen using a PC laptop.

I'm sure that PC had the NeXTStep or OpenStep OS as NeXT had an Intel version for years before Apple acquired NeXT that brought Jobs back to Apple.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Does Apple use 100 percent Apple hardware and 100 percent Mac OS throughout the entire company?

Does Apple use a directory service for things like user authentication? Are all end user computers connected to this directory service? Is it Open Directory, Active Directory, or something else?

What hardware and operating systems does Apple use for their DHCP servers, DNS servers, VPN servers, web servers, file servers? What hardware and software does Apple use for their own email, contacts, and calendar servers? What type of storage do each of these servers use, and what type of connections? Do they use a SAN, and what software? How are each of these servers backed up, and using what backup software?

What hardware, operating systems, database server, and web server are Apple's iTunes and iCloud servers running on? What type of storage is used? If they use a SAN, which SAN software is it? Do they use Fibre Channel? iSCSI? 10 gigabit ethernet?

What hardware does Apple use for their company routers and network switches?

What does Apple use for its accounting, CRM, ERP, and HR software? What operating systems do they run on?
  • Reply 44 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yep, that's how the people who are getting Kindle Fire's for Christmas this year are going to feel.

I sent an email to my retired parents, both avid readers, that they are forbidden from buying a Kindle Fire. I told them to get the cheapest Kindle if they want a Kindle.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

The difference is that Steve's PC notebook was running NextStep. Not Windows.

HP doesn't have a desktop OS.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Does Apple use 100 percent Apple hardware and 100 percent Mac OS throughout the entire company?

Does Apple use a directory service for things like user authentication? Are all end user computers connected to this directory service? Is it Open Directory, Active Directory, or something else?

What hardware and operating systems does Apple use for their DHCP servers, DNS servers, VPN servers, web servers, file servers? What hardware and software does Apple use for their own email, contacts, and calendar servers? What type of storage do each of these servers use, and what type of connections? Do they use a SAN, and what software? How are each of these servers backed up, and using what backup software?

What hardware, operating systems, database server, and web server are Apple's iTunes and iCloud servers running on? What type of storage is used? If they use a SAN, which SAN software is it? Do they use Fibre Channel? iSCSI? 10 gigabit ethernet?

What does Apple use for its accounting, CRM, ERP, and HR software? What operating systems do they run on?

Mother Brain runs everything. Plus there was a recent upgrade that involved a transfusion from Mr. Jobs' brain.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

The difference is that Steve's PC notebook was running NextStep. Not Windows.

Plausible. NeXT had ported to Intel, and later when NeXT's hardware business folded, OPENSTEP was ported to Windows. That might be what Jobs was running. However, it was running on top of Windows. Another reason I think Jobs was using Windows was that he created presentations. And you can't create PowerPoint slides on OPENSTEP. Or can you?
  • Reply 48 of 67
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Unlike Apple, HP is attempting to offer end to end computing, from the consumer and workplace PCs to the back room software and servers.

If it all integrates well then there should be no need or even desire to use a third party product.

I'll be gracious and suggest he may be have been assessing how well a competitor's product integrates into HP's systems.

It appears HP is attempting to be like the IBM of 25 years back. Yet that IBM posted one of the largest losses ever in corporate history.

It had to divest its printer (Lexmark) and PC manufacturing (Lenovo) divisions in order to return to profitability.

Perhaps the former HP CEO, Apotheker, felt HP was in danger of ending up in a similar position, and thus therefore required a similar remedy.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    Quote:

I can guarantee that in 95 percent of those cases the answer is not Windows, in any flavor. So what's your point?
  • Reply 50 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

$11 acquisition of Autonomy? Not terribly risky.

Yeah, I was thinking also that this guy must be the master of negotiations to pick up a whole company for $11.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Apple used to have a gigantic Cray on its campus. It was used for analyzing plastic flow in the molding process, probably among other uses.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    And these are the f**ktard super rich that are supposed to save the economy? I think my plumber can run HP better than whoever is calling the shots. HP was actually once a proud and capable company. Rock, meet Bottom.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

"Oh, my goodness!

This Mac thing really is quite "the bomb" as the kids these days would say, isn't it?"

The best part of the picture really is how amazed he looks. In fact, it looks almost like typical Apple marketing material. This would be hilarious if it weren't so sad what a state once great technology companies are in now.

Most of the HP board probably all have Macs, iPads and iPhones in addition to the company-issued crap.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Dude this wasn't a TMZ picture, it was official PR stuff. I couldn't care less if Steve Jobs actually uses a 486PC running Windows95 at home, at least he sure as hell wouldn't let anyone photograph him using it.

This is disturbing on so many levels. Most important of which, is that this Chairman obviously has no clue just like his buddy CEO. Just rape a company and make off with billions. Get into trouble? Ask the government for bailout or more "quantitative easing" because "demand is weak", "markets are not confident", etc. Heck, whatever happens, they always have their golden parachute anyway.

Sometimes the best answers are the most obvious. This image alone speaks volume of the economic rut the US, UK and Europe are in. The 1% have forgotten that running a company actually involves developing and using their own products, not just shuffling financial paperwork around and sitting on their fat asses on boards collecting millions or billions.

If you've read the Steve bio one of the first things he did when he came back to Apple was clean out the garbage board of directors.

Quote:

• Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lxg View Post

hahahahhaaaaa
  • Reply 56 of 67
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hankx32 View Post

hahahahhaaaaa

• Reply 57 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Amazing. Only an idiot like you would come to a website for the sole reason of looking for things to pick on and be negative. Get a life, I really mean that... to take time from your life for this purpose is sad. If you don't like Apple, fine, but be productive with your time and read Windows sites. I don't like Windows and you know what? I don't go to Windows only sites, at most I go to tech sites for an overall news, but stay away from sites only for Windows, not worth my time and I have better things to do, unlike people of your ilk. You are a loser, and I truly-truly mean that.

Happy Thanksgiving.

+1.. Well said.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

ONE QUESTION:

Let's say there's a high end graphics card in the Mac, will it be compatible with windows? Just wondering in terms of games...

You can't just use any PC graphics card in a Mac as the firmware needs to support EFI (though it is possible to flash some PC graphics cards with a Mac-compatible firmware). Also, only the Mac Pro allows you to install a custom graphics card.

Assuming those requirements are met, then Windows should be able to make use of the graphics card. When using Windows via Bootcamp on a Mac, the Mac looks and functions just like any other PC would in Windows. So the standard Windows drivers for the graphics card should work (though I don't have any experience with this myself).
  • Reply 59 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alphajack7 View Post

I'll wager that his printer is not made by Apple.

Or his matte screen....or his server....
  • Reply 60 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I don't see what is so embarrassing about the HP Chairman using an Apple product. If I were him, I'd also use a MacBook Air, and be damn proud to show it off.

So you'd be proud to tell the world "my company is incapable of making a product that's as good as this, so I'll just use the competitor's product"?????