Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

"How will they know I've upgraded if it looks the same?"

"Why would they care if I've upgraded if it's a Samsung?"
  • Reply 23 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Let's take the iPad 3 for example. That is going to be the next highly anticipated Apple product. If it's true that it's going to have an ultra-high resolution display, then that is going to be insane, and the demand for it is going to be unlike anything else.

Three manufactures are rumoured at this point for the display. I understand that is normal, especially for the YoY grow rate these products are seeing, but I can't help but wonder about quality/performance differences between component manufactures. Even now with the SSD card in the MBAs you want Samsung over Toshiba. A bit of a positional good if you can tell you have one of the lesser manufactures so I hope Apple will not release these unless they tightened up their display variances.

Are any OLED manufactures coming close to an ≈10" option that will have a 265ppi display with or without PenTile sub-pixel counting?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:

You're not going to be seeing me lining up outside any Apple stores, camping and waiting around.

I am a big fan of Apple products, I am no fanatic.

Right. And I'm the king of England.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Right. And I'm the king of England.

A monarch and a doctor. I'm not sure I could kneel and turn my head to cough while you examine the family jewels. \

Seriously though, this whole thing about waiting in line means you're this or that is silly. It's about supply and demand. It's that simple. With Apple typically releasing a new product once a year and demand worldwide far outstripping supply for at several months after launch it's no wonder some are willing to wait in line for a short time instead of waiting for weeks after buying online for a delivery or for month on the off chance it'll be on the shelves the next time they go shopping.

There was a recent article that showed that Apple only 3 different models selling YoY compared to dozens from Samsung, just in the US. You can't expect to have any sort of attraction to a model when your brand is so diluted.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Why would they care if I've upgraded if it's a Samsung?"

Thanks I nearly spat my champagne haha
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A monarch and a doctor. I'm not sure I could kneel and turn my head to cough while you examine the family jewels. \

Seriously though, this whole thing about waiting in line means you're this or that is silly. It's about supply and demand. It's that simple. With Apple typically releasing a new product once a year and demand worldwide far outstripping supply for at several months after launch it's no wonder some are willing to wait in line for a short time instead of waiting for weeks after buying online for a delivery or for month on the off chance it'll be on the shelves the next time they go shopping.

There was a recent article that showed that Apple only 3 different models selling YoY compared to dozens from Samsung, just in the US. You can't expect to have any sort of attraction to a model when your brand is so diluted.

*puts away scepter*

Don't worry, this won't hurt a bit *snaps on white latex gloves* I'm a professional.

Lots of people wait in lines for lots of things. Sports, music, Disneyland... I haven't waited in line for an apple product but it seems like it could be fun. As long as it's not too cold. And I had coffee. Seems like a good opportunity for...let's see, what was that called again, oh ya human interaction, in the flesh. Computers and now smartphones sure have taken over our lives the past couple decades no matter what brand one uses, not that I'm complaining. There are countless benefits. But it would do us all some good to get some fresh air and maybe a little exercise.

Hmmm, better make that king/doctor/mommy.

Edit: standing in line definatly isn't definitive of a fanatic. See post #25 but replace the word no with the word a.

I saw that comparison. A stark contrast. They have to see that as a problem by now I would think? I would hope.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:

The iPhone 4 reportedly came with iOS 5.0 installed and carries a model number with a "BR" appendage, presumably indicating that the device was manufactured in Brazil....

Not necessarily, I know for a fact at least one model sold in Malaysia carries the MY appendage as seen on the very same info page on that model. In the UK, it is B. I presume it is something to do with the default OS language or most likely, just the market it is intended for and not 'manufactured in ...' as the article suggested.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Do you know if the phones made in Brazil will be sold in other S. America countries?

I don't know, but I doubt it.

Quote:

I'm guessing that these will be sold mostly in South America so if any of those countries have similar requirements for labeling I suppose portuguese is what they go with.

Portuguese is only used in Brazil. The rest of South America uses Spanish, so that doesn't make any sense.

As I said in my original post, the phones are likely to be sold exclusively in Brazil. They're only being made there to get around Brazil's high tariffs for imported goods.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelab View Post

I don't know, but I doubt it.

Portuguese is only used in Brazil. The rest of South America uses Spanish, so that doesn't make any sense.

As I said in my original post, the phones are likely to be sold exclusively in Brazil. They're only being made there to get around Brazil's high tariffs for imported goods.

That's interesting. I would think with the much closer proximity of brazil to other S. American countries that they would ship from there instead of china. But I've been wrong before.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

That's interesting. I would think with the much closer proximity of brazil to other S. American countries that they would ship from there instead of china. But I've been wrong before.

Brazil is geographically much closer to the US than China, but the US is still going to get phones made in China and not Brazil.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Quote:

Quote:

Brazil is geographically much closer to the US than China, but the US is still going to get phones made in China and not Brazil.

It all depends on whether Chinese manufacture+ freight <= Brazilian manufacture+freight.

I suspect it will still be cheaper to source from China. So it won't happen unless the volumes required for the Brazil factory to function efficiently warrant some form of loss making in neighbouring countries ....They can always make that up with an increased Brazilian price set somewhere below the tariff level.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:

That seems like a poor reason. The u.s. is apples home turf with more sales than you would want to saddle a new factory with supplying. South America probably has alot of sales too so I don't expect a new factory to just start supplying the whole continent overnight. Would foxconn(with apples help i think)build a factory in a country for selling just to that one country? I've always had thoughts (not sure why, maybe just an assumption)that both those companies and Brazil wanted it to be a manufacturing hub for the continent. Over time of course.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Trust me, the primary function of that factory, for now at least, is supplying Brazil only. China's manufactoring costs are much lower than ours.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

Poor Brazilians. They probably think high tariffs will benefit their country. All it does is benefit the few who manufacture behind the tarif wall, while everyone else has less money for a narrower range of goods. Meanwhile, more and more resources in the economy get diverted to the products protected by the tarif wall. One day it all ends in tears. It's what happened in Australia years ago, and more recently in Ireland. You would think people would learn.

You're spot on, but you forgot someone else it benefits: Government officials who are on the take. All these taxes and terrifies are payoffs for politicians. That's why they're politicians in the first place-- to steal money.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Not only you are only partially right (a small part at that), your tone is disgusting.

Its disgusting to lament how brazilians are being ripped off by their own government?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What a lot of right-wing ideological garbage. You don't know what you are talking about.

If that was ideological garbage, you could show where he made an error. If he didn't know what he was talking about, it would quickly become obvious from you showering him with facts and argument. Since you produce neither, you are as much as admitting that all you have is the regurgitations of your ideology, which you use in place of thinking.

Quote:

In this case, the tariffs apply to any industry that just wants to sell product to Brazilians without investing anything in the country itself.

Selling something to brazilians *IS* investing in the country. Of course, to people like you, giving advanced technology to people who need it is some sort of a crime, if you do it for profit.

Quote:

It's the very thing that caused Apple to make the plant in Brazil in the first place to avoid the tariffs, and in case you didn't notice ... it's working out rather well.

Its working out great for the government and all the other thugs and grafters who are able, exactly like parasites, to extract part of the profits Apple is making for themselves.

It isn't great for the brazilians who have their costs more than doubled when they buy competing products that aren't able to afford the graft and theft of the parasites.

Quote:

You're not going to be seeing me lining up outside any Apple stores, camping and waiting around. I am a big fan of Apple products, I am no fanatic.

I'm pretty sure others would call me a fanatic, but I've never lined up outside an apple store.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Trust me, the primary function of that factory, for now at least, is supplying Brazil only. China's manufactoring costs are much lower than ours.

Yep, its just to get around the BS tariffs the brazilian government has imposed on its people.