Best Buy airs TV ads promoting itself as the source for Apple products

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 54
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Man I wish I did not take that media analysis class in college. Now I think too much about what ads try to say and who they are trying to appeal and on what basis than actually the content of the ad itself.



    Speaking of analyzing ads - its well made in that people understand that

    1. Apple products are cool

    2. Best buy has them (there are not enough apple stores for everyone yet).

    3. If you want to be a good mom than you have to outdo santa and buy your kids awesome gifts.



    None of those points I can disagree with, maybe the last one, but I mean who would hate a macbook as a gift?
  • Reply 22 of 54
    otnotn Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    I don't have any problems with Best Buy besides this one really obese and rude salesgirl who worked at a local Best Buy and who I'm pretty sure was a lesbian with an attitude. No way would any males ever be interested in that thing.



    Just out of curiosity what does her looks or sexual preference have anything to do with your point ?
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Only the lame need sales person help at Besy Steal U Blind Buy
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    Man I wish I did not take that media analysis class in college. Now I think too much about what ads try to say and who they are trying to appeal and on what basis than actually the content of the ad itself.



    Speaking of analyzing ads - its well made in that people understand that

    1. Apple products are cool

    2. Best buy has them (there are not enough apple stores for everyone yet).

    3. If you want to be a good mom than you have to outdo santa and buy your kids awesome gifts.



    None of those points I can disagree with, maybe the last one, but I mean who would hate a macbook as a gift?



    Me. I want a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I guess it's a good ad in context but much of the effect is lost on the poor video and audio quality. I can say that what I hate most about user-uploaded videos are finding what you're looking for just to find that it was a capture of a TV screen.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post


    People can't take a joke. (That was't an Ad hominem as I didn't attack any Apple Insiders or individual person, I just did what Samsung did...but I was less of a prick with it).



    Nothing about your posts says you're trying to be funny. Your use of large font sizes is very prickish and just makes you come across as callow and needy.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    Lol. My local Best Buy still has all its iMac on Snow Leopard. When I ask each week WHY? They just say apple has not sent them the upgrade codes. Even an apple employee who works at that store tells the customers to look at the new MacBook Airs as they are running Lion. It's a joke that Lion has been out so long that no one can take the time to correct it. But in my tiny State of Connecticut (48th smallest) will have five apple stores in a few weeks so I have many to go to. Would never buy a Mac at "Worst Buy".
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    I guess it's a good ad in context but much of the effect is lost on the poor video and audio quality. I can say that what I hate most about user-uploaded videos are finding what you're looking for just to find that it was a capture of a TV screen.







    Nothing about your posts says you're trying to be funny. Your use of large font sizes is very prickish and just makes you come across as callow and needy.



    Well, then there is a lack of sense of humor somewhere.



    Apple is a status symbol (rare, for a computer company at least) that can't be denied. I don't think Apple-in-Best-Buy even has a Genius bar come to think of it. Just like how people love carrying brands of their purses or letting you see the bag from where they shopped, people love that aspect of Apple? Is it bad? I never said so. It's a cultural thing.



    I'm not sure what you're getting at in the first place. Callow and needy? I think not.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post


    Was I in some sort of Best Buy RDF?



    Said store has probably seen an influx of iPad etc sales that aren't coming back as returns, but not so with the other companies. Since they are all about making money the bosses told everyone to push Apple as much as possible.



    I've seen it happen in other stores when one brand is going aces for that product line.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    I wonder if these will only appear in Best Buy locations which aren't anywhere near an Apple Store; there are still many parts of the country outside major urban areas where this might make sense. However I feel truly sorry for any customers in these "stores" who have to rely on the BB salespeople for advice
  • Reply 30 of 54
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    On a slight tangent, are they sticking "Geek Squad" stickers on all the boxes to let you know they'll help you install apps on iOS devices for you (for a nominal fee of course)? It killed me when I saw the stickers on console games for home installation at my local Best Buy.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post


    Well, then there is a lack of sense of humor somewhere.



    Apple is a status symbol (rare, for a computer company at least) that can't be denied. I don't think Apple-in-Best-Buy even has a Genius bar come to think of it. Just like how people love carrying brands of their purses or letting you see the bag from where they shopped, people love that aspect of Apple? Is it bad? I never said so. It's a cultural thing.



    I'm not sure what you're getting at in the first place. Callow and needy? I think not.



    Who sees my time capsule? Who sees my airport extreme? Who sees my Apple TV? Who sees my Mac mini I use as a server for a side company I run (that uses FileMaker as the database that my iPhone and iPad have phenomenal apps made for them)? Who sees my iMac in my office at home? I buy apple products because they are better. Better made and work in conjunction with each other much more effectively. I could buy a really nice windowd PC, an awesome samsung galaxy, and a great android tablet. Hook them all up with a western digital hard drive to backup manually and a linksys router. But I like convenience, I like not having to maintain like I did in the pc world, and I don't mind paying extra for less stress and more time.



    Now my MacBook air, iPhones, and iPad- those suck. I bought those just so people could see them.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Well, Apple did once open an Apple Store in downtown Austin that didn't sell any Macs, iPhones, or iPods. Just iPads. An iPad only store.



    they opened it because SXSW was on the same time ipad2 went on sale. they were catering to the South By nerds.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    kjdkjd Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkyMark7 View Post


    I wonder if these will only appear in Best Buy locations which aren't anywhere near an Apple Store; there are still many parts of the country outside major urban areas where this might make sense. However I feel truly sorry for any customers in these "stores" who have to rely on the BB salespeople for advice



    I live in San Francisco, and the Best Buy closest to me has masses of Mac models, iPods and iPads, even though there are *three* Apple Stores in the city.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevin camera


    Lol. My local Best Buy still has all its iMac on Snow Leopard.



    Mine has its display MacBook Pros still on Snow Leopard, even though the Airs all have Lion on them (probably because they came out after Lion was released). Every time I see their Macs, I think, 'Update your OS!'
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Now if only they can somehow allow me to get my name on a pre-order list for an iPhone 4S. For some reason that is broken, and they just suggest that I call the store daily to see if they have gotten anymore that day. If only I could cash in this gift card, I could have it ordered and in my hands in 3 days.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,292member
    Just beware of anything you buy at Best buy where Apple is concerned. I was in a rush to get a Mac as a present for someone and was half way to the register when a little voice in my head told me to put on my reading glasses and read the spec on the box. It wasn't the latest model. I had checked out the display model which was and asked to take one and been handed a nice shiny box with the older model in it, not the one on display! Had I not been an expert on all things Apple I'd most likely never have realized and as it was a gift ... well it's too horrible to think about as it would have been past the 'return no questions asked' date by then. I cannot begin to imagine how many people are tricked like this.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Anyone else notice this ad is almost scene for scene a ripoff of a Walmart ad? Instead of Santa trying to place toys in stockings, only to find them already full, we've got a Christmas tree stocked with Apple products. Considering the time it takes to produce these commercials, they were both filmed at least a month ago, so I doubt the similarity was intentional, but damn if it's not unfortunate.



    By the by, I just picked up a 13" MBP from BB on Saturday. It was 75 dollars off Apples price, plus I had a coupon for triple points on any purchase. 1400x3=4200 points, which is just shy of $85 bucks in Reward Certificates, and that's the main reason I bought it there instead of the shiny new Apple store in the mall. If Apple ever considered starting a loyalty reward program, I might go there instead. Otherwise, there is no incentive for me to purchase directly from them.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,292member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post


    Apple pioneered the concept of store within a store



    Wait. Bloomingdale's was avalible in 1860. Apple is over 100 years old?! OMG! Wait a sec, that totally means Gamecrazy WASN'T a store within Holywood Video. MIND TOTALY BLOWN.



    What ever ... I'd like to see Apple replacing them asap with their own stores in the same town where ever possible. They basically suck.



    I hear we will have a genuine Apple Store here in Sarasota, FL soon ... really hope so. Tampa is too far to pop in to just look at the the new stuff.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post


    Anyone else notice this ad is almost scene for scene a ripoff of a Walmart ad? Instead of Santa trying to place toys in stockings, only to find them already full, we've got a Christmas tree stocked with Apple products. Considering the time it takes to produce these commercials, they were both filmed at least a month ago, so I doubt the similarity was intentional, but damn if it's not unfortunate.



    By the by, I just picked up a 13" MBP from BB on Saturday. It was 75 dollars off Apples price, plus I had a coupon for triple points on any purchase. 1400x3=4200 points, which is just shy of $85 bucks in Reward Certificates, and that's the main reason I bought it there instead of the shiny new Apple store in the mall. If Apple ever considered starting a loyalty reward program, I might go there instead. Otherwise, there is no incentive for me to purchase directly from them.



    That is a dammed good idea ... Apple should have a rewards system with all purchases. Apple gift vouchers is the obvious reward!
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Article posted with camcorder video of TV screen. Best Buy posted the spot on their YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Hfcl1Z_PjfE
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


    Who sees my time capsule? Who sees my airport extreme? Who sees my Apple TV? Who sees my Mac mini I use as a server for a side company I run (that uses FileMaker as the database that my iPhone and iPad have phenomenal apps made for them)? Who sees my iMac in my office at home? I buy apple products because they are better. Better made and work in conjunction with each other much more effectively. I could buy a really nice windowd PC, an awesome samsung galaxy, and a great android tablet. Hook them all up with a western digital hard drive to backup manually and a linksys router. But I like convenience, I like not having to maintain like I did in the pc world, and I don't mind paying extra for less stress and more time.



    Now my MacBook air, iPhones, and iPad- those suck. I bought those just so people could see them.



    But I never said you, I'm talking about the segement of society that buys stuff just because of the brand. For example, I buy Samsung products and have a Panasonic Viera 3DTV. I like quality. However, there are people that buy those same products because of the "name brand". Especially the Samsung TVs. I troubleshoot internet/cable...stuff like that as my job while in school. I hate when people call in with Apple products because they say "it's an Apple, there can't be anything wrong with it". Or you have the infamous people with Samsung 3D LEDTVs. Those are just as terrible because they felt that they spent soo much that the product is perfect. Brands like that I have dealt with a lot of people braging.



    Do I like Apple products? Well, I have a 4S (the first Apple product I have ever bought) and have been wanting a Macbook Pro for the longest. I'm not talking about the segment of people who buy things because of quality. I love that even if there is something wrong with my Apple product, I can go to an Apple store for help-unlike the process I had having to fix my Dell a bit ago.



    Many people here think if I refer to a type of people, it's refering to all Apple owners. That means I would be refering to myself. I'm talking about the general population, that didn't care about Apple before it became a cult phenomenon.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OTN View Post


    Just out of curiosity what does her looks or sexual preference have anything to do with your point ?



    Ad hominem.
Sign In or Register to comment.