Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Yeah, we, uh? we sold more than you."

"Well, how many did you sell?"

"How many did you sell?"

"Ten million units."

"We sold more than that."

"Can I see your numbers?"

"? No."

Oh I have had a terrible day (bar the AAPL shares) but that put a smile to my face, thanks.
  • Reply 23 of 82
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

All I know is that my brother-in-law (an "android-is-better" iPhone user), bought a Kindle Fire after telling me how great it is. Now he is already giving it away as a gift to our father-in-law for Christmas. (No, he is not buying another one for himself.)

Must have been really great

Yep, the Fire has been touted as the iPad killer by the tech press and the Android spin machine. The reality is quite different. I forsee lots of people buying the Fire only to find out how much it CAN'T do. Amazon has been pretty up front with the purpose of the Fire and that is to sell Amazon content to make a profit. But potential buyers have been told it's an iPad competitor which it is clearly not.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    I went to a Best Buy in Daly City CA and they had one left (looked like a return), and a Target had plenty in stock. There were so many generic looking Android tablets at BB, I almost couldn't find the Fire.
  • Reply 25 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

No...the AMAZON FIRE!

Lolz, I know. I was teasing. The context in which you put it was weird:

Quote:

Garbage, just garbage (And yes, I do own an iPad2).

Sound like you know garbage because you have an iPad 2.
  • Reply 26 of 82
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Ultimately means nothing if they don't tell you how many they sold. 'Its out best selling product' .... and ? big whoop. Normally when figures are not disclosed they are embarrassingly low. I suspect that this situation is no different.

To sum up, if they sold anywhere near the figures of the iPad 2 they would say so. They didn't, so they didn't.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yep, the Fire has been touted as the iPad killer by the tech press and the Android spin machine.

Pro Tip: Simply ignore the tech press and Android spin machine.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Yeah, we, uh? we sold more than you."

"Well, how many did you sell?"

"How many did you sell?"

"Ten million units."

"We sold more than that."

"Can I see your numbers?"

"? No."

Followup:

"Our sales projections are on track to double in Q2!"
  • Reply 29 of 82
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    More of Amazon being evasive about sales figures. Until I see hard numbers I'll never believe a word Amazon says. Sony may have a habit of counting PS3 sales once they are off the assembly line and in their own warehouse (even before being sold to distributors), but I'll still trust Sony's numbers before I take Amazon at their word.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    I won't give a Kindle Fire to anyone as a gift for fear of being considered a cheapskate.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

More of Amazon being evasive about sales figures. Until I see hard numbers I'll never believe a word Amazon says. Sony may have a habit of counting PS3 sales once they are off the assembly line and in their own warehouse (even before being sold to distributors), but I'll still trust Sony's numbers before I take Amazon at their word.

The general public has no idea that Amazon hides their numbers, they just see the claims on the Amazon front page, but how do they think this looks to investors? I can't believe they're still at this game. It absolutely convinces me they've been distorting the reality of Kindle sales since day one.

Another reason to scratch my head over the p/e ratio awarded to Amazon.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I was going to buy this but I'm glad I waited. The developers here at work bought Kindle Fire and no less than half of them have already sent it back to Amazon.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yep, the Fire has been touted as the iPad killer by the tech press and the Android spin machine. The reality is quite different. I forsee lots of people buying the Fire only to find out how much it CAN'T do. Amazon has been pretty up front with the purpose of the Fire and that is to sell Amazon content to make a profit. But potential buyers have been told it's an iPad competitor which it is clearly not.

World according to the tech press.

The iPad is a useless toy only capable of performing a very small subset of the "real" work a PC can do, it is doomed to fail.

The Kindle Fire is an awesome device which will kill the iPad, never mind that it is only capable of performing a very small subset of what an iPad can do, that is irrelevant.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    Best selling...just least earning product that we have
  • Reply 35 of 82
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    "Its best selling product" ... as best seller out of all products Amazon sells or best of the products Amazon makes itself that it sells?
  • Reply 36 of 82
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I was going to buy this but I'm glad I waited. The developers here at work bought Kindle Fire and no less than half of them have already sent it back to Amazon.

Ignorant people all over the internet were boasting about that tablet and talking about how great it was before a single person had ever even used it.
  • Reply 37 of 82
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guava View Post

I won't give a Kindle Fire to anyone as a gift for fear of being considered a cheapskate.

It's not just the price.

$200 can buy a decent gift for somebody. But $200 does not get you a decent tablet.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    I bought both a Fire and a Nook tablet for my Wife's birthday as I weren't sure the one she wanted. However she went out and bought a Fire ahead of the birthday (go figure!) so today I just returned those two.

Now for the one she bought she has just used it for a week and has now declared that she hates it. The main complaint was that typing on it was a nightmare - it does not correct as well as iOS and it is unresponsive frequently missing your key strokes. Secondly it is too small to view webpages. This is ironic as the reason it was bought was because my wife did not want an iPad because it is too heavy and too big. Along with the webpages it often will not display them correct, or a site will return the mobile version when she wants the full one. Lastly, for its size, holding it is still not comfortable and it is still relatively heavy.

I could go on how the apps are horrible, the UI is a disaster and so on. Lets just say that for someone used to iOS (even version 3.2 - she has a first gen Touch) that Android leaves a lot to be desired.

So in the end we bought two and we will be returning two. My wife likes a keyboard. I think what she needs is a Macbook Air. Unfortunately that is outside our price point for now.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Even before the busy holiday shopping weekend, we'd already sold millions of the new Kindle family and Kindle Fire was the bestselling product across all of Amazon.com. Black Friday was the best ever for the Kindle family - customers purchased 4X as many Kindle devices as they did last Black Friday - and last year was a great year," said Dave Limp, vice president of Amazon Kindle.

I'm not sure I can take him seriously without seeing some hard data...
  • Reply 40 of 82
    If Apple tried this the press would crucify them. Yet every time Amazon does this they shower Amazon with love and praise for a stellar sales numbers. Whatever!