Apple-approved iTether iPhone app bypasses carrier tethering plans

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brd841 View Post

Try this instead.. deleted

still working, still in the app store

That's a scam. Does not tether. Brd841 seems to be intentionally trying to scam people today.
  • Reply 62 of 91
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

SInce most people I chat with are on iOS 5.0 I have completely turned off SMS from being sent or received. AT&T has moved from either a per usage fee or $20/month for unlimited.

How can you turn off SMS being received? And what happens to the sender of that SMS, do they know that it wasnt delivered?
  • Reply 63 of 91
    Apple has championed the iPhone experience not being smudged by apps installed by the carriers.

With ONE EXCEPTION, namely the tethering configuration in System Preferences.

It should be noted that the tethering restriction is carrier dependent. It just plainly doesn't exist in many countries.
  • Reply 64 of 91
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

I downloaded the app, but couldn't download the client at work, and now it seems to be unavailable. Can anybody post a mirror link to the client for Mac?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't think so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Draven View Post

Here ya go...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lhvide View Post

Here you go: http://patjem.nl/tether-iphonedmg-app

See world- all Apple people aren't jerks... just one here and there.
  • Reply 65 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

But how much does it cost you to call a landline?

It's included in the 2000 minutes - anytime anynetwork. You also get 5000 same network minutes.

Heres a note from their website: Inclusive minutes and texts are for UK mobiles and landlines beginning 01, 02, 03. Personal Numbers (070) and numbers beginning 08 are excluded from bundle.

http://threestore.three.co.uk/TheOnePlan.aspx
  • Reply 66 of 91
    So will people get a refund now?
  • Reply 67 of 91
    BTW, finally got the mac version downloaded and installed (took multiple attempts), disconnected my iMac from WiFi and ethernet, plugged in my iPhone, launched the app on iPhone and iMac and? it works great! Unfortunately, don't know what the future holds, but is/was fun while it lasts.
  • Reply 68 of 91
    Quote:

How can you turn off SMS being received? And what happens to the sender of that SMS, do they know that it wasnt delivered?

They have no idea. The only SMS I will receive are from AT&T and those will be free.

I am sure I'll eventually chat with a couple people who'll say "you never returned any of my text messages" but they will few and far between. As the resident tech guy for most friends and family I've pretty much gotten them all to get devices that I don't mind dealing with if the need should come up which means that most are on iPhones and the ones that aren't typically don't even know how to text. So I felt it was finally time to pull the plug on outrageous SMS charges.
  • Reply 69 of 91
    Quote:

Call AT&T. I had them block SMS on my phone as I do not use it and did not want to be charged 20c per incoming text which was mostly spam.

If I need to use SMS I use GoogleVoice.
  • Reply 70 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lhvide View Post

Here you go: http://www.google.com

I downloaded and installed the client from your link, but the client crashes unexpectedly after 5 seconds. Anyone else experience this issue?
  • Reply 71 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

If you usb tether to a mac and then set up airport sharing via wifi. That should handle it for the iPad. If you have a 3g iPad you don't need it.

So, how does one go about doing a "USB tether"?
  • Reply 72 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

So, how does one go about doing a "USB tether"?

Plug it into your computer with the USB cable that came with it, I'd imagine.
  • Reply 73 of 91
    I hope they let it stay on the market. I'm tired of paying $45 for tethering.
  • Reply 74 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Is that the all you can eat data bundle with 3? Its a shame their service is utter shite in Scotland otherwise I would have gone with them on my last upgrade.

Yeah it is, my girlfriend lives in Scotland so I know its a bit scatty, just get signal in the cities really. I can live with it for now though.
  • Reply 75 of 91
    Quote:

But how much does it cost you to call a landline?

Nothing, it comes out of my minutes!
  • Reply 76 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

SInce most people I chat with are on iOS 5.0 I have completely turned off SMS from being sent or received. AT&T has moved from either a per usage fee or $20/month for unlimited.

Yeah, that showed up on my bill and I called them on it. I told the nice lady that I never was notified nor did I consent to changing my SMS plan from 1500 to Unlimited. She immediately knocked it back with a credit and an apology.
  • Reply 77 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

Call AT&T. I had them block SMS on my phone as I do not use it and did not want to be charged 20c per incoming text which was mostly spam.

If I need to use SMS I use GoogleVoice.

HOW do the carriers in the US have the audacity to not only charge for incoming SMS but also for unsolicited spam messages?! Also, don't you have a Do Not Call/SMS registry?
  • Reply 78 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

What the developer said "We were very clear with Apple what our app did. They asked us a bunch of questions and then approved us."

What Apple said "GTFO"

I'd say to Apple - GYATIT1P - get your act together in the first place, and stop this madness of approving and pulling apps. The approval team is looking un-Applesque, as in incompetent.
  • Reply 79 of 91
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't think some of the app store reviewers are technical enough. For example on the Mac app store there are programs that do nothing but unzip a file while displaying a progress bar. OS X has this already. There are also programs that do nothing but burn an ISO image. OS X has this already. Just scams that are not picked up on, due to lack of knowledge about the Mac.

I'm sure no one on this site would have let the iOS tethering app through, it is an obvious violation of policy. I bet the reviewer didn't even know the technical term "tethering."
  • Reply 80 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I'd say to Apple - GYATIT1P - get your act together in the first place, and stop this madness of approving and pulling apps. The approval team is looking un-Applesque, as in incompetent.

I don't believe they're capable of that degree of incompetence. It's called iTether. Either they allowed it as an experiment. Or as a statement to the carriers.

Or maybe they just wanted throw their users a bone. It really did feel like Christmas when I woke up and saw the original post on a different site.