Judge denies Apple request to stop Galaxy sales in U.S.

Comments

• Reply 181 of 274
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Apple is obviously just being anti-competitve, abusing the legal system to try and block competitors for frivolous reasons. Boycott Them!

Because Samsung's sales are sooooooo higher that they are a threat to the iPhone and iPad.

Even using their "we'll count shipments to the resellers as 'sales'" tactics they haven't beaten either. And the reports of returns rates are not good for Samsung.

Yeah, Apple is so scared of them that they are trying to use the courts to get rid of the company that is going to take them down

(unlike Samsung that is suing to block Apple from using FRAND patents, which is something they legally can not do)
  • Reply 182 of 274
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Put the 3 phones in front of someone from the 1940's and ask them which two phones look the most similar. You're a complete moron if you think they will pick the iphone and the LG.

Face to face the iPhone and Samsung look most similar, 360° the LG and iPhone look most similar.
  • Reply 183 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Part of competing is defending your intellectual property in court. If you don't defend yourself everyone just copies you without doing any research of their own.

More to the point, if you don't defend yourself now you can't later.

Show of hands, how many folks here think aspirin is a generic name. Guess what, it wasn't always. It started off as a trademark name for a certain chemical formula of fever and pain reducer made by Bayer. Then then other companies made that same formula (more or less) and folks started calling them all aspirin and Bayer did nothing for months, perhaps even years. Then they decided to. And lost

Apple is playing a similar game. A game that requires them to play now or lose the right to play later. Even if they lose the case, they win points for trying. Not to mention appeals, which you know Apple will file.

And who knows, while line item by line item comes up with a few losses, Apple might be able to pull off an argument over the totality of common details and the timing of such details appearing.
  • Reply 184 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

BUT they are suing Samsung on the "look and feel" and that "look and feel" clearly was there before the first iPad was released.

To make that statement you first must define the 'look and feel' of an iPad.

So since you clearly have in order to say that it already existed, why not say what your definition is. Then we can see if it matches what Apple patented as the 'look and feel'
  • Reply 185 of 274
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Though you left this topic. By the way, can you help we with some opinions on Galaxy Note 8.9 (a middle-size one that makes phone call) against full-size Galaxy 10.1?

It's almost New Year, my bank manager who helped out my family business for 41 years is about to retire. The old fella need something bettr than a gold watch. With the Great Flood and economy being what it is, I am not supposed to fork out for iPad2, still around ฿24,000 from Bangkok scalpers and the official imports won't begin until January. Galaxy Note start at only ฿16,900 with Smart Cover replica. How good Galaxy tabs get now if all he does are Facebooking, emails and watching online TV, no apps and never carry it out of a house?

7-inch Galaxy no longer sold new in Thailand and Samsung now started with this Note model. Both of them comes with Samsung bluetooth keyboard if I go there before 26 Dec.

Depression does funny things to Thais you know. Especially this lifetime bean counter I am going to give him a present. i-products somehow acquired a stigma of being expensive an giving ones away for presents gives out a bad impression of being careless with your money. Samsung and Android handsets don't have such stigma.

Apple stuff being viewed in recession-hit Thailand as a blinged-up things and the owner being careless with money in the time everyone tightening the belt. Cultural quirk, yeah, but I live here and have to work with it.

ROTFLMAO. Go ahead and get the Galaxy if you want to send the following message:

"Sure, you worked here for 41 years and were an invaluable part of the team. We greatly appreciate your efforts and contribution, but not enough to give you a quality product when we can save a couple hundred dollars by giving you a cheap knockoff that doesn't work as well and isn't as useful".

Great message for a long time employee.
  • Reply 186 of 274
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Can you imagine if Apple did that? People already bitch about the new devices getting OS features a 3 year old device isn't getting.

Those people always bitch about Apple even though other companies are worse. It's not FAIR!
  • Reply 187 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Though you left this topic. By the way, can you help we with some opinions on Galaxy Note 8.9 (a middle-size one that makes phone call) against full-size Galaxy 10.1?

The Galaxy 8.9 is a great machine. If I were to choose, I'd rather have that than an iPad. The size is much better. It is more compact than an iPad, while giving you a better screen shape.
  • Reply 188 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

More to the point, if you don't defend yourself now you can't later.

Show of hands, how many folks here think aspirin is a generic name. Guess what, it wasn't always. It started off as a trademark name for a certain chemical formula of fever and pain reducer made by Bayer. Then then other companies made that same formula (more or less) and folks started calling them all aspirin and Bayer did nothing for months, perhaps even years. Then they decided to. And lost

Apple is playing a similar game. A game that requires them to play now or lose the right to play later. Even if they lose the case, they win points for trying. Not to mention appeals, which you know Apple will file.

And who knows, while line item by line item comes up with a few losses, Apple might be able to pull off an argument over the totality of common details and the timing of such details appearing.

You are so far off the mark, you are not even wrong.

But trademarks and patents have different rules.
  • Reply 189 of 274
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

More to the point, if you don't defend yourself now you can't later. . .

CharlieTuna, patents don't have a use-it-or-lose-it aspect. Apple could sit back silently for years, allowing supposed IP violations to go on at the competition before finally filing lawsuits.

You might be confused with US trademark law which requires a response within a set timeframe once a company is aware of infringement, or take the chance of losing the rights to the trademark. Not at all the same rules with patents.
  • Reply 190 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Face to face the iPhone and Samsung look most similar, 360° the LG and iPhone look most similar.

Uh, 360° is still the same view, genius.

But, i think you were trying to say looking at the back side of the phones? In which case, you need some new glasses. Here is the back side of the lg prada and iphone 1st gen. 4th gen looks nothing like it either. Thanks for playing.

• Reply 191 of 274
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Not surprising given that you're little more than (poorly) paid Apple-shill, forever lost in their delusional RDF.

Have you ever taken the time to calculate his daily average posting rate from his old ID?

25711 posts over 2051 days. That works out to be about 12.5 posts every single day for over 5 and a half years!

You would have to pay me good money to support a company so assiduously and vocally.
  • Reply 192 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

You would have to pay me good money to support a company so assiduously and vocally.

To support a company, yes.

To support a self-identification, not so much.
  • Reply 193 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Like Apple doesn't copy. Now before you guys nit pick at the subtle differences. We're comparing the "look" of the devices which are >90% similar. Oh and if you didn't know, the phone on the left is the LG Prada released in 2007 just before the first iPhone was released.

fandroids keep showing this eventhough the working iPhone was shown before this. Get your facts straight before posting lies.

working iPhone demoed: Jan 7, 2007

official press release photoshopped LG Prada images shown: Jan 18 2007
  • Reply 194 of 274
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

fandroids keep showing this eventhough the working iPhone was shown before this. Get your facts straight before posting lies.

The iPhone 4 was demoed in 2007? really?
  • Reply 195 of 274
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

I'm under the impression photos, not CGI, was released in mid December 2006, about 2.5-3 weeks before the iPhone was demoed. Of course LG didn't demo their device until much later, Apple would have ad a working model of the iPhone to display long before mid December, and the LG Prada's claim to fame is that was the first capacitance-touch smartphone on the market though it only had a pointless single input sensor.

But all that is moot. There is no way Apple or LG could have copied each other in short a short time frame unless you subscribe to a theory that they inside spies. THe only thing LG seems to have done is be aware that Apple was announcing and iPhone at MacWorld (like we all knew) and decided to announce their unfinished product before CES and rush to market so they could get a "me first" claim.

It's clear it worked in some regard as trolls are using it to say Samsung didn't blatantly copy the iPhone, but saying "me first" isn't the same as making sales, which LG clearly has failed at in this space.
  • Reply 196 of 274
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The iPhone 4 was demoed in 2007? really?

So now the claim is that LG owns the rights to a two tone color scheme despite the devices neither looking alike nor mimicking the iPhone in any other way. You let us know when LG files a lawsuit against Apple's for the iPhone 4/4S; though even you could get your GED, get a college degree, get law degree, and pass the bar making you a bona fide patent attorney so you can finally have an idea of what is being discussed when the adults talk before LG will make such a foolish attempt to claim that a two-tone scheme is theres.

It's really amazing you think these look the same. At least learn to put a little thought into your trolling.
  • Reply 197 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

To support a company, yes.

To support a self-identification, not so much.

Spoken with the certitude someone who has no concept of "supporting a self-identifcation."
  • Reply 198 of 274
    Quote:

Not surprising given that you're little more than (poorly) paid Apple-shill, forever lost in their delusional RDF.

Why are you such a bitter little person?
  • Reply 199 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So now the claim is that LG owns the rights to a two tone color scheme despite the devices neither looking alike nor mimicking the iPhone in any other way. You let us know when LG files a lawsuit against Apple's for the iPhone 4/4S; though even you could get your GED, get a college degree, get law degree, and pass the bar making you a bona fide patent attorney so you can finally have an idea of what is being discussed when the adults talk before LG will make such a foolish attempt to claim that a two-tone scheme is theres.

It's really amazing you think these look the same. At least learn to put a little thought into your trolling.

Clearly the original iPhone does not infringe on the Prada.

Apple waited until the i4 before it copied the Prada. These FanTards are out of their freaking minds.
  • Reply 200 of 274
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Those people always bitch about Apple even though other companies are worse. It's not FAIR!

A couple of sarcastic posts might be funny. Constantly doing it... just reverse trolling.

Who will get banned first. Absolute, Conrad or Gator? (alphabetical order)

I know who my money is on!