Judge denies Apple request to stop Galaxy sales in U.S.

Comments

• Reply 241 of 274
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Though you left this topic. By the way, can you help we with some opinions on Galaxy Note 8.9 (a middle-size one that makes phone call) against full-size Galaxy 10.1?

It's almost New Year, my bank manager who helped out my family business for 41 years is about to retire. The old fella need something bettr than a gold watch. With the Great Flood and economy being what it is, I am not supposed to fork out for iPad2, still around ฿24,000 from Bangkok scalpers and the official imports won't begin until January. Galaxy Note start at only ฿16,900 with Smart Cover replica. How good Galaxy tabs get now if all he does are Facebooking, emails and watching online TV, no apps and never carry it out of a house?

7-inch Galaxy no longer sold new in Thailand and Samsung now started with this Note model. Both of them comes with Samsung bluetooth keyboard if I go there before 26 Dec.

Depression does funny things to Thais you know. Especially this lifetime bean counter I am going to give him a present. i-products somehow acquired a stigma of being expensive an giving ones away for presents gives out a bad impression of being careless with your money. Samsung and Android handsets don't have such stigma.

Apple stuff being viewed in recession-hit Thailand as a blinged-up things and the owner being careless with money in the time everyone tightening the belt. Cultural quirk, yeah, but I live here and have to work with it.

I happen to own both the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and 8.9 (as well as a dozen or so other tablet devices), and of all the non-Apple ones, the Galaxy Tab 8.9 is by far my favorite.

Though it lacks on-board storage expansion, it easily offers the best/brightest display quality, lightest weight, smoothest Android performance, and ergonomic balance superior to any tablet device currently on the market.... It's an outstanding choice, and one he'll likely enjoy for years to come - Especially given that it's to be one of the first devices to be upgraded to Android 4.0/ICS.

Note: Please forgive the delayed response... I was running in the Las Vegas Rock N' Roll Marathon today -

• Reply 242 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

"Who will get banned first. Absolute, Conrad, DaHarder, or Gator? (alphabetical order)"...There...

Just because some of us can enjoy owning Apple products (as well as others) without behaving like brainwashed cult-members, is hardly grounds for such administrative action.

I, personally, have more than substantiated any/every claim that I have ever made within this forum, often in great detail due to my extensive personal ownership/experience with almost everything about which I post, yet I still have to endure constant personal attacks and utter ignorance from the likes of you, even when proving you, and numerous others, indisputably wrong on every level.

What you need to do is realize that there those in here who choose to 'Think Different' than you, and you taking offense to said fact, Is Your Problem.
  • Reply 243 of 274
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Here's the latest ad from Sam's Club.

Why is this lady holding an iPad for a Galaxy ad?

• Reply 244 of 274
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Is that an iPad? It certainly looks 4:3 at that angle and all the design marks of an iPad.
  • Reply 245 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is that an iPad? It certainly looks 4:3 at that angle and all the design marks of an iPad.

Just a observation: In advertising, iPads, Kindle Fires, and some 7" cheapo-Android tablets from Coby and Pandigital are frequently shown in portrait mode, while larger Honeycomb tablets (Galaxy Tab and Xoom), as well as TouchPad and PlayBooks are usually shown in landscape mode. Methinks 16:9 looks weird in portrait mode. Anecdotally, this also holds true for the few non-iPad tablets I've seen in use: I've never seen Xoom owners use their tablet in portrait.
  • Reply 246 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

What exactly leads you to such a conclusion ?

Fact: The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1/8.9 both feature a much more rounded corner radii than the iPad, in addition to a much more rounded edge chamfer, just like the device featured in the ad.

If both the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the iPad are viewed at a similar angle to the device in the picture, hardly any of the silver-colored bezel-surround would be visible, whereas with the Samsung Galaxy Tab much more of the aforementioned can be seen... Just as it is on the device in the ad.

• Reply 247 of 274
    LOL not the corners pics... here we go again
  • Reply 248 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

LOL not the corners pics... here we go again

You'll get over it... and if you don't - Oh Well.

I certainly didn't see you complaining one bit when Chris CA posted that Sams' Club Ad... Hmmm?
  • Reply 249 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

You'll get over it... and if you don't - Oh Well.

I certainly didn't see you complaining one bit when Chris CA posted that Sams' Club Ad... Hmmm?

He only posted it once, no? Once you start repeating yourself, you're not adding anything new to the discussion.
  • Reply 250 of 274
    Quote:

He only posted it once, no? Once you start repeating yourself, you're not adding anything new to the discussion.

Interesting... Please do tell when/where did I post this exact same picture anywhere within this article comment section, or any other forum/article in reference to this Sam's Club ad?

HINT: you might want to check the EXIF data before further making a fool of yourself. ;-)
  • Reply 251 of 274
    Quote:

Interesting... Please do tell when/where did I post this exact same picture anywhere within this article comment section, or any other forum/article in reference to this Sam's Club ad?

HINT: you might want to check the EXIF data before further making a fool of yourself. ;-)

LOL. You know this is about you posting photos of corners. Even if the posted pictures are different files. You're just trying to make the same argument over and over again. Using different files of corners doesn't absolve you of repeating yourself
  • Reply 252 of 274
    Quote:

LOL. You know this is about you posting photos of corners. Even if the posted pictures are different files. You're just trying to make the same argument over and over again. Using different files of corners doesn't absolve you of repeating yourself

How about you cease with the excessive use of emoticons like some 12 year girl texting her latest BFF and make an attempt at adding something rational/relevant to the conversation for a change.

Anyway... It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out, but in the meantime, it's nice to know that there's some semblance of sanity in the US justice system.

Patent Reform is desperately needed to prevent these kind of nonsensical claims in the future, regardless of from where they originate.
  • Reply 253 of 274
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

They were? They sell it in Australia now?

Yes they do. Pay attention. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...to_appeal.html
  • Reply 254 of 274
    Quote:

I happen to own both the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and 8.9 (as well as a dozen or so other tablet devices), and of all the non-Apple ones, the Galaxy Tab 8.9 is by far my favorite.

Though it lacks on-board storage expansion, it easily offers the best/brightest display quality, lightest weight, smoothest Android performance, and ergonomic balance superior to any tablet device currently on the market.... It's an outstanding choice, and one he'll likely enjoy for years to come - Especially given that it's to be one of the first devices to be upgraded to Android 4.0/ICS.

Note: Please forgive the delayed response... I was running in the Las Vegas Rock N' Roll Marathon today -

Thank you. The old fella has an allergic to earbud rubber so built-in speaker and microphone is a must. And 5-inch Note will not arrive until Feb 2012. So 8.9 Note then.

On a side note, is the 5-inch Galaxy Note a Samsung' attempt to gauge how far the iPhone form can be enlarge without sacrificing ergnomics? Thanks to them, we now know that the largest screen real estate that can be streched on iPhone 3 shape and size is 4-inch. Any larger then you have to either make it bigger with the same propotion (Galaxy Tab Note), or make it longer (Acer Iconia).

Nice to see that someone else can pick up Apple's slack on ergonomic experiments.
  • Reply 255 of 274
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Thank you. The old fella has an allergic to earbud rubber so built-in speaker and microphone is a must. And 5-inch Note will not arrive until Feb 2012. So 8.9 Note then.

On a side note, is the 5-inch Galaxy Note a Samsung' attempt to gauge how far the iPhone form can be enlarge without sacrificing ergnomics? Thanks to them, we now know that the largest screen real estate that can be streched on iPhone 3 shape and size is 4-inch. Any larger then you have to either make it bigger with the same propotion (Galaxy Tab Note), or make it longer (Acer Iconia).

Nice to see that someone else can pick up Apple's slack on ergonomic experiments.

Apple's slack on ergonomic experiments? That's hilarious.

The difference, of course, is that Apple does its experiments in the lab on the thousands of prototype products that they've developed. Samsung and most of the competitors do their experiments by making a couple million units and shipping them - and HOPE that the customers like them.
  • Reply 256 of 274
    That's one way you can observe your customers. Rather old-fashioned and needs lots of time and money but without The Messiah to tell good from bad, this is the best option Samsung and Acer got. What sales and what sucks will be told at cash registers, not labs like Apple uses.

Asian companies learn how to do things this way. Like learn how to swim by jumping into the ocean; to theory class, no dry run, just go ahead and hope not to die.

And why is it bad for Apple to lt someone else try similar ideas they might have, then sit down and observe it from real life laboratory and pick up useful data from it? You can take only so much data from lab rat, eventually you will need human subjects. If Samsung and Acer are willing to run this and Apple get to watch, why not?
  • Reply 257 of 274
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:

Apple is obviously just being anti-competitve, abusing the legal system to try and block competitors for frivolous reasons. Boycott Them!

Another moronic comment. When intellectual property rights are violated, they have to be protected. Apple has already lost millions in legal fees. If you can't see the identical nature of the two devices, then you are living under a rock.
  • Reply 258 of 274
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:

Still not happy with the Android performance on any of the tablets. I had a chance to play with the Sony one this weekend, and the same problems occur, from laggy interface issues, sloppy scrolling, and confusing layout. The platform is also fragmented, which is going to lead to even more instability and poor user experience. Same thing happened to Microsoft with their Windows Mobile platform. It's only a matter of time so I wouldn't waste the money until another viable alternative comes along.
  • Reply 259 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Another moronic comment. When intellectual property rights are violated, they have to be protected. Apple has already lost millions in legal fees. If you can't see the identical nature of the two devices, then you are living under a rock.

For 200, Alex, "Where does DaHarder live?".
  • Reply 260 of 274
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Still not happy with the Android performance on any of the tablets. I had a chance to play with the Sony one this weekend, and the same problems occur, from laggy interface issues, sloppy scrolling, and confusing layout. The platform is also fragmented, which is going to lead to even more instability and poor user experience. Same thing happened to Microsoft with their Windows Mobile platform. It's only a matter of time so I wouldn't waste the money until another viable alternative comes along.

...and that's certainly your choice, and having 'choices' is nice. Enjoy!