Apple's MacBook Air has 'fortuitous timing' in face of hard drive shortage

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Ha! You think that this whole happy confluence of events was not engineered in Cupertino? How deluded you are.

If they could engineer that then an area close to Redmond would have sunk into a crevis a long time ago
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charel View Post

Neither did the US government in New Orleans when they knew that flood defences were inadequate. A bit of the pot and kettle?

Oh yes they did, gotta watch "When the Levees Broke", actual footage of actual jaw dropping events.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

CDs/DVDs/HDs/Floppys/etc - are SO Last Century

Please - learn some Latin

lol.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Oh yes they did, gotta watch "When the Levees Broke", actual footage of actual jaw dropping events.

Actually, that show doesn't support your claim. In fact, it supports the previous claim - that the U.S. was just as negligent in not properly building and maintaining flood control as Thailand was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Levees_Broke

Quote:

The film points out that the disaster in New Orleans was preventable, caused by levees poorly designed by the United States Army Corps of Engineers, with the suffering afterwards greatly compounded by failures at all levels of government, most severely at the Federal level. These points are in line with mainstream investigations, including the bipartisan U.S. Congressional report "A Failure of Initiative" and the Army Corps of Engineers' own studies.

Massive negligence on the part of the U.S. and state governments. Of course, compounded by additional negligence for rebuilding the city in the same location.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

The Thai government was well aware of the shortcomings of their flood control system long before the disaster - and did nothing. Basic maintenance and clearing of the old systems could have prevented much of the damage and death.

They chose to do little or nothing.

Just like our government.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    The God of Grammar must be especially sensitive today. Either that, or someone is really desperate to make a post today.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

In modern uses, however, fortuitous tends more often to be used to refer to fortunate outcomes, and the word has become more or less a synonym for ?lucky? or ?fortunate.?

Yes, well, I guess I have no problem with modern terminology as opposed to strictly following etymology.

Quote:

This use is frowned upon as being not etymologically correct and is best avoided except in informal contexts.

Appleinsider seems like an informal enough context to me.

Thompson
  • Reply 27 of 58
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If they could engineer that then an area close to Redmond would have sunk into a crevis a long time ago

Obviously, Apple can do weather but not plate tectonics.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

The word is "fortunate", fortuitous means accidental.

usage: The traditional, etymological meaning of fortuitous is ?happening by chance?: a fortuitous meeting is a chance meeting, which might turn out to be either a good thing or a bad thing. In modern uses, however, fortuitous tends more often to be used to refer to fortunate outcomes, and the word has become more or less a synonym for ?lucky? or ?fortunate.? This use is frowned upon as being not etymologically correct and is best avoided except in informal contexts.

That's the correct word. Apple didn't build the MBAs with NAND because they knew Thailand was going to flood thus reducing HDD supply. It was all chance that happens to work in Apple's favour.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I'd personally like to see Apple corner the NAND drive market for the next six months and see how well the competition fares without being able to get any storage. I'd like to see how anti-Apple media manages to claim that Apple will suffer the most during drive shortages. I hope Apple can keep up with demand if the Wintel notebook industry goes soft due to component shortages. It could sway a lot of fence sitters to get an Apple notebook if Wintel notebooks aren't available.

As for the availability of hard drives, I sure hope Apple isn't shy in using some of that cash reserve to get hold of some hard drives for the iMac even if they have to pay a premium price for them.

considering that samsung just opened a new huge flash factory, they would have to make up with Samsung
  • Reply 30 of 58
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

considering that samsung just opened a new huge flash factory, they would have to make up with Samsung

Never!

• Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

The hell with international disasters, we fat Americans want our MacBooks NOW!! WAAAA!!

You're the only here saying that.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charel View Post

Neither did the US government in New Orleans when they knew that flood defences were inadequate. A bit of the pot and kettle?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That sound exactly like the reports I read, post disaster, about a certain city's flood defenses in the USA!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

*cough* New Orleans *cough*

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

"fortuitous timing"?? OR AN EVIL PLAN???

Ah, probably just timing. Sorry, forget I mentioned it.

That would NEVER happen in the US :::coughKatrinacough:::

Yeah, the big difference between the US and Thailand is Thailand will have everything fix and people back in their home within the year, I think there are still people who have not been returned their homes in the US.

Yeah the Thailand government already admitted that politics played into make things worse there, some of the flooding could have been diverted but because political factions were infighting they did not react.

The other interesting part in Thailand, when the government fails the people they have just a coup and the Military will just replace the government until a new one can be put in place, maybe this what should happen in the US.

Here is the one from 2006, they almost had another in 2008 and previous in 1991

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Th..._d%27%C3%A9tat
  • Reply 33 of 58
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Damn - People are STILL using spinning discs ?

Hey Folks - Welcome to the Digital Age

I'm confused, all those things you list store digitial data, what exactly did you mean?
  • Reply 34 of 58
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I'm confused, all those things you list store digitial data, what exactly did you mean?

All those "things" need a spinning disk on which the data is stored. A concept good old Edison would appreciate... like a fancy digital phonograph...

whereas... flash memory does not have a physical spinning object to store its digital value.

Coops
  • Reply 35 of 58
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:

You're still storing data locally? How's the 18th century treating you, grandpa?
  • Reply 36 of 58
    How are pc manufacturers copying the macbook air by putting in ssd drives into notebooks?

Netbooks existed with ssd drives 1 to 2 years before the macbook air was even announced.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

How are pc manufacturers copying the macbook air by putting in ssd drives into notebooks?

Netbooks existed with ssd drives 1 to 2 years before the macbook air was even announced.

If they're copying the style of SSD, it's copycatism. If they're just using standard SSDs, it's nothing of that sort; you're right.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

The Thai government was well aware of the shortcomings of their flood control system long before the disaster - and did nothing. Basic maintenance and clearing of the old systems could have prevented much of the damage and death.

They chose to do little or nothing.

Bah. Governments are always in a tight spot because if they spend the money, they are criticized for wasting money. If they don't, they are criticized for endangering the populace.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

You're still storing data locally? How's the 18th century treating you, grandpa?

Yes, as long as you all do not care about your data, then put it on an SSD or in the cloud, SSD data reliability is not quite there, with a HDD you can write bits millions of times to the same spot and come back to that drive 10 yrs from now and those bits will still be there. Can not say that about an SSD. Today you can only write bits to and SSD cell maybe 3000 times before it starts going bad. if you do not think data is written to the drive that much check again all kind of scratch and temp files are written to a drive every time you use your computer.

No put your data on the cloud, that is all find and good until that company fails or you stop paying your bill, plus why would you put personal information out on the web, in hopes it may not get hacked.

I'll take and HDD over SSD and cloud storage any day, especial on the HDD is cost you only $0.10/GB and SSD it is about $2 to $3/GB and cloud store you give ever month.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I'll take and HDD over SSD and cloud storage any day.

You think spinning disks are reliable? I'll take magnetic tape over HDDs and SSDs over magnetic tape.

But absolutely don't trust the cloud.