Kindle Fire usability study shows 'disappointing' user experience

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djdj View Post

Of course the article here at AppleInciter doesn't say anything about how the same guy had roughly the same things to say about the iPad and its apps too. Selective reporting for the win.

Your point doesn't hold any validity until you post a link.
  • Reply 42 of 101
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

Record this on your iphone, and play it back to yourself. Hello Pot, have you met Kettle?

It's the same thing for the HP TouchPad, and that thing blows bigtime.

It has 4 stars on Amazon and 647 reviews.

Crazy, fanatical people will convince themselves of anything.

I don't care if something has 6 stars on Amazon (yeah, I know 5 is the limit). I have 2 perfectly functioning eyes, and when I see evidence of a stuttering, jerky, laggy tablet in action, I am going to declare that it is garbage, simple as that. And the Kindle Fire fits that definition based on what I saw.
  • Reply 43 of 101
    Quote:

I'm rolling out of my chair over here. Perhaps for the faithful here at AI, a "4 man study", of which I'm sure at least 3 are i-Fans, is scientific and meaningful. For the rest of the world with any type of objective reasoning ability, this is just another run of the mill hate piece. I haven't seen or touched a Kindle Fire in person, but the bias of the pro-Apple reviewers is beyond blatant. With nearly 4000 reviews and an average of 4 stars on Amazon, I can't do much more than laugh at anyone who claims the thing is 'junk'

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Justin Bieber has 4.5 stars on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Justin-Bieber-...3177775&sr=1-3

As for the Kindle Fire, out of 3,970 reviews, 869 are two stars and below, that's about 22% of all reviews. 523 reviews are rock bottom, 1 star. That's a lot of unsatisfied people. I'm assuming that most of those people are returning theirs. That's a pretty big return rate.

As for the 5 star reviews, basic human psychology explains those. People will go through all sorts of mental gymnastics and self rationalizing to convince themselves that they made a good purchase.

As pointed out, averages can be misleading and can 'hide' the true results of the data. A break down of the average shows the real story.
  • Reply 44 of 101
    Quote:

As for the Kindle Fire, out of 3,970 reviews, 869 are two stars and below, that's about 22% of all reviews. 523 reviews are rock bottom, 1 star. That's a lot of unsatisfied people. I'm assuming that most of those people are returning theirs. That's a pretty big return rate.

As for the 5 star reviews, basic human psychology explains those. People will go through all sorts of mental gymnastics and self rationalizing to convince themselves that they made a good purchase.

Yep, Amazon employees, their families, their neighbors, paid shills, etc...
  • Reply 45 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Why do you even bother commenting on stuff? It's always the same: "[insert non-Apple product here] sucks!" Thanks for that great insight...never mind that you've never actually used most of these products. Do Apple fans have to act like such douches?

You obviously never used a Kindle Fire. Care to point out why it is so great? In your experience why would one part with 200 USD for it? What faults do you see with it? Or is it perfect?
  • Reply 46 of 101
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

The Kindle Fire isn't the fastest tablet. That being said, I don't have nearly the amount of problems that the author of this article has. I'm able to read books, surf the web, and play quite a few games. Is it all perfect? No. Has any mobile device really been perfect? No. It is pretty usable, and sometimes I think we, as a group, just like to complain.

I wouldn't like this to be my only tablet. It isn't the fastest thing in the world. The lack of the Google ecosystem, means I don't get the cooler Reader, Docs, and Calendar apps. As a reference device when coding, or something to slip in a jacket pocket, or something to read while laying in bed, this device is way more than adequate.

So, in other words, it could be worse. And there's no good reason to buy one.
  • Reply 47 of 101
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    There goes 7-inch iPad rumor.
  • Reply 48 of 101
    Quote:

• Reply 49 of 101
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErosLWS View Post

I'll admit, the usability blows, but I think people are trying to make this out to be more than what it is. It's more of a PMP than a tablet.

I guess you didn't read the article. Even for things that are more PMP-like, the Fire didn't do well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

The Kindle Fire is a budget device that offers a budget experience.

And that's the bottom line. I really don't see this study as being a death-knell for the Fire. Some people don't have $500 to spend but can afford $200. Some people just like to buy the cheapest product, even if it's not as good. Some people have such basic needs that the difference in usability isn't a big deal.

There is a market for a $200 crappy tablet. Just like there's a market for cheap cars as well as great cars.
  • Reply 50 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

<snip>

There is a market for a $200 crappy tablet. Just like there's a market for cheap cars as well as great cars.

That's true... but if 8 year olds start returning the Fire they got for Xmas then Amazon is in trouble...
  • Reply 51 of 101
    Recently I was in a store and found a Kindle Fire standing there just looking at me. After all the fuzz about it I had to try it.

The experience was... at best... frustrating.

I tried to open a web page and couldn't, the device would not load it. One could say it was an internet connection problem, but if that was the case, why the laptops connected to the same wifi did just 5 feet away?

Then I tried to open some applications. They all crashed. Angry Birds and two others I don't remember.

Then I tried to open a book with that last thin line of hope... The screen got blank and nothing showed up.

So, in 3 minutes, my Kindle Fire experience was:

- it would NOT load a web page

- it would NOT load applications

- it would NOT open a book

Not to mention all the struggle to find how to go "home" or basic simple navigation.

One may say it was a demo unit and thus could be damaged. My question would be: have you ever found a "damaged" demo iPad?

I wanted it to be good, competition is good, and the more the better products we would have. But the Kindle... I would stick with the first one for the e-ink.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Kinda curious how so many of you seem threatened by a cheaper alternative to the iPad, that isn't really designed to compete with the iPad. If Amazon is able to pick up business from folks who consider the iPad out of their budgets anyway, what do any of you care?

They are the same kind of people who get all pissed off if their neighbor buys a nice new sports car and leaves it in the driveway for everyone to see.
  • Reply 53 of 101
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

Apple fans never do that. Especially considering that they decided to pay higher than average prices for their notebooks etc.

You cannot put a price on Magical.
  • Reply 54 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Its a perfect example of "you get what you pay for". In this case you get a re-purposed RIM Playbook.

no, you don't. For all of the Playbook's faults (real and perceived) it's a very nice unit. Especially at the "fire" sale price of $200. I quite like mine.

If the Kindle Fire is anything like the Kobo Vox experience (which I bought and returned in 3 days) I had, then the criticisms are understandable; the Playbook is much much better experience.
  • Reply 55 of 101
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

It's the same thing for the HP TouchPad, and that thing blows bigtime.

It has 4 stars on Amazon and 647 reviews.

Crazy, fanatical people will convince themselves of anything.

I don't care if something has 6 stars on Amazon (yeah, I know 5 is the limit). I have 2 perfectly functioning eyes, and when I see evidence of a stuttering, jerky, laggy tablet in action, I am going to declare that it is garbage, simple as that. And the Kindle Fire fits that definition based on what I saw.

And the point that YOU don't get is that you don't get to dictate other people's needs. We have a Touchpad and it's actually not bad for the way we use it. It was cheap and does everything that we ask of it. Granted, we don't expect it to do as much as an iPad, but I made a conscious decision that I was willing to pay $100 for a device with limited functionality. That should be my right - and if I'm happy with the choice, who are you to say that it's garbage?

Similarly, we understand that you don't like the Kindle Fire. But that doesn't mean that it's necessarily garbage. It simply means that you don't like it. Some people will be happy to pay $200 for a markedly inferior product and you have no right to say that they're wrong.

In the end, the market will decide if there are ENOUGH people willing to pay $200 for an inferior product for that product to remain on the shelves. You don't get to decide.
  • Reply 56 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And the point that YOU don't get is that you don't get to dictate other people's needs. We have a Touchpad and it's actually not bad for the way we use it. It was cheap and does everything that we ask of it. Granted, we don't expect it to do as much as an iPad, but I made a conscious decision that I was willing to pay $100 for a device with limited functionality. That should be my right - and if I'm happy with the choice, who are you to say that it's garbage?

Similarly, we understand that you don't like the Kindle Fire. But that doesn't mean that it's necessarily garbage. It simply means that you don't like it. Some people will be happy to pay $200 for a markedly inferior product and you have no right to say that they're wrong.

In the end, the market will decide if there are ENOUGH people willing to pay $200 for an inferior product for that product to remain on the shelves. You don't get to decide.

Hmmm... I seem to recall that the Touchpad wasn't originally priced at $200 and the market did decide that it was garbage at the original price.

I could be wrong.
  • Reply 57 of 101
    I'm reading and typing this on a 7" BB Playbook, and I like the 7" screen. It fits in my coat pocket. My iPad never leaves home. If I need to take a bag, I take my MBP with me.
  • Reply 58 of 101
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

With nearly 4000 reviews and an average of 4 stars on Amazon, I can't do much more than laugh at anyone who claims the thing is 'junk'

Just last week 77.9% of all Kindle Fire reviews were either 1 or 2 stars. Now it suddenly rockets up to a 4 star rating. This seems kind of curious to me.
  • Reply 59 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Just last week 77.9% of all Kindle Fire reviews were either 1 or 2 stars. Now it suddenly rockets up to a 4 star rating. This seems kind of curious to me.

If actual buyers were given a one time pin for reviewing then I think we'd get a more honest opinion.

Until then... reviews on websites mean nothing to me.
  • Reply 60 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErosLWS View Post

It's more of a PMP than a tablet.

Sure, but this review says it does a poor job of the PMP functionality (did you read it?). It's not complaining that it can't run Garage Band or other apps, it's saying it does a poor job of reading magazines and surfing the web.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Sales of Kindle fire > review from a "expert" via Daring Fireball.

Well, sales minus returns. And while it sounds like initial sales are solid, continued sales are going to depend on how well people like it and continue to use it. People love to get something cheap, but if it ends up sitting in a drawer they're not going to recommend it to other people or consider getting a newer version in a couple years.

The return policy is great for impulse buys...but it's also great for a high rate of returns.