Kindle Fire eats into iPad sales lead, offset by global iPhone demand

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    People need to make up their minds.

In the previous thread about the Kindle Fire, I am stating my observation that the Kindle Fire is complete garbage. This is based on the terrible, unresponsive UI of the Kindle Fire and the piss poor performance. Certain overly sensitive muppets enter the thread and claim that the Kindle Fire is not an iPad competitor! These confused people proclaim that you can't compare the two, even though Amazon directly mentions the iPad on their sales page!

And now all of a sudden in this thread, some people are claiming that it is indeed a competitor, a cheaper version of the iPad. And certain people have chosen the Kindle Fire over the iPad a few people claim.

I can imagine that using a Kindle Fire is like having sex with a filthy ten dollar crack whore.

If that makes certain people happy, then good for them, but I would be ashamed to go around mentioning it, especially on a forum where everybody is used to using the best.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

In the previous thread about the Kindle Fire, I am stating my observation that the Kindle Fire is complete garbage. This is based on the terrible, unresponsive UI of the Kindle Fire and the piss poor performance. Certain overly sensitive muppets enter the thread and claim that the Kindle Fire is not an iPad competitor! These confused people proclaim that you can't compare the two, even though Amazon directly mentions the iPad on their sales page!

And now all of a sudden in this thread, some people are claiming that it is indeed a competitor, a cheaper version of the iPad. And certain people have chosen the Kindle Fire over the iPad a few people claim.

I can imagine that using a Kindle Fire is like having sex with a filthy ten dollar crack whore.

If that makes certain people happy, then good for them, but I would be ashamed to go around mentioning it, especially on a forum where everybody is used to using the best.

Netbooks were terrible little laptops... but that didn't stop people from buying them.

2 netbooks... one for each kid..... or 1 good laptop they have to share.

The same applies to tablets... price is still a motivating factor.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

I disagree. I know a few people who are going to go with the Fire over the iPad for their first tablet.

The price point is enough for them to take a chance that they can leave Apple's walled garden and still have an enjoyable user experience.

Fire is a competitor for sure & almost guarantee's that the iPod touch is going to get a larger screen.

The tablet market is not the desktop or phone market. Most consumers looking at a tablet are buying it as a media consumption device and web browser. Security is not a big concern for them.

What will be worth watching is where the developers go. A couple blockbuster apps for Android that are unavailable for iOS - and the game could change rather quickly.

Apple will have the support base from those who are already invested in apps. That will be the challenge for their competitors. However, the market is new and not a lot of people have tablets yet. The game is far from over.

What a lot of bull. You MUST be a Microsoft or Google employee. The Kindle Fire comparison is apples and oranges from the iPad. It doesn't belong in the same category. The 3 people you know who MIGHT buy the Kindle Fire will be buying an iPad before the end of the quarter when they realize they make the mistake the Fire is a tablet COMPUTER!

The phrase "walled garden" gave you away as a ???
  • Reply 24 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

If I were a little kid and I had two choices, either get a Kindle Fire, one each for me and my sister, or get one iPad that would be shared equally between the two, there is no doubt at all as to what I would choose.

I would rather use something that is wonderful 50% of the time, rather than using something that is terrible 100% of the time. But to each his own.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:

If I were a little kid and I had two choices, either get a Kindle Fire, one each for me and my sister, or get one iPad that would be shared equally between the two, there is no doubt at all as to what I would choose.

I would rather use something that is wonderful 50% of the time, rather than using something that is terrible 100% of the time. But to each his own.

I was merely pointing out how the rest of the world thinks
  • Reply 26 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

.... sell to every human, dog and cat on planet earth.

My cat loves the iPad!!! She used to have to climb up on the desk to see herself in my iMac's glossy display. Now she can do the same laying on the couch with the iPad!

I just couldn't resist. btw: I like glossy displays.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    "Slashed" from 14M to 13M?

Wow, I guess, since English is not my first language, I must have misunderstood what the word meant.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I “estimate” that some people will like their Fire just fine, some won’t, but in general the poor experience (performance and screen size alike) with browsing and apps on the Fire will boost iPad demand in 2012. Especially when Fire owners try their hand at a real iPad after already knowing they like the tablet concept.

An iPad gateway drug subsidized by Amazon! Not bad.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

"Slashed" from 14M to 13M?

Wow, I guess, since English is not my first language, I must have misunderstood what the word meant.

Slashed is in the same section as "beleaguered" in the Analyst Handbook.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Why are these analysts so certain that the Kindle Fire is eating into iPad sales. That's like saying Hyundai Sonata sales are eating into Lexus IS sales. When there is that much of a price difference in products what makes them think people that are buying the cheaper products are taking away from the more expensive products. Chances are those consumers buying the much lower-priced product never had their sights set on the more expensive offering.

The Kindle Fire is not in the same class as the iPad, so I think these analysts are spreading BS and FUD to pull down Apple's share price. Saying that the Kindle Fire is eroding iPad sales is a blatant speculation. It's very unlikely any consumer who wanted the functionality of an iPad going to buy and Kindle Fire even if it's much cheaper and still be satisfied with it. I swear, these analysts should be held accountable for their crooked misdeeds and deception to clients.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    straskstrask Posts: 107member
    Does anybody care what this guy thinks?
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Netbooks were terrible little laptops... but that didn't stop people from buying them.

The same applies to tablets... price is still a motivating factor.

But it's plain to see the Windows netbook market collapsed after the iPad was introduced. Steve said that netbooks were crappy and that users were dissatisfied with them and he was right. I'm willing to bet that if you placed an iPad and a Kindle Fire together and let even young children decide which one was easier to use and was the most responsive, I'll bet the iPad would be preferred by most. I'm not saying the Kindle Fire isn't decent, but we need to keep things in perspective. The Kindle Fire is merely a low-cost alternative (not a substitute) for an iPad in function or quality.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    What they are not reporting is people buying the Kindle Fire and then returning it. So what if Kindle Fire sales effect iPad sales. The report should reflect the Kindle Fire return rate and how those people returning the Kindle fire are considering on buying an iPad.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

What a lot of bull. You MUST be a Microsoft or Google employee. The Kindle Fire comparison is apples and oranges from the iPad. It doesn't belong in the same category. The 3 people you know who MIGHT buy the Kindle Fire will be buying an iPad before the end of the quarter when they realize they make the mistake the Fire is a tablet COMPUTER!

The phrase "walled garden" gave you away as a ???

IMHO Kindle Fire is a significant competitor to the iPad. I thinks that iPad sales for this quarter will be less than they would have been without the presence of the Fire. Is it going to kill the iPad? No way, but it will take a bite out of Apple's business.

I agree that many Kindle buyers will be disappointed with its performance. However, if you have followed the development of the Kindle E-reader, you may have noticed that Amazon has sequentially introduced five readers, each one better than its predecessor. Look for a new version of the Fire in the first half of 2012, with a 9 to 10 inch screen and improved performance. It still won't kill the iPad, but it will likely take another bite out of the tablet market that Apple may otherwise have gained. Apple will continue to be the sales leader, but not with the 70% market share they've had recently.

As much as I would like to see Apple maintain the huge market share they presently enjoy, consider this: I see people in Best Buy purchasing clearly inferior tablets, often at hefty prices. I wonder if they do any research before making their buying decisions. But that's the way it is with any product you can name. People choose products every day that are not the best available. Look at personal computers. If everyone choose the best, Mac would own the market.

However, Apple will continue to grow and earn more money than Amazon can ever hope for, and more than Samsung, HTC, Motorola and all the others. That's how the real score is tallied.

By the way, I'm not a Microsoft or Google employee. In addition to owning four Apple devices, I am heavily invested in AAPL and am enjoying wonderful returns.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Another anal-ist who thinks they know what they are talking about. Since the iPad is marketed and sold globally, and is still in its infancy, is the undisputed market leader in a rapidly increasing market segment, and since the underpowered / under featured / severely restricted Kindle Fire is only sold, and only works, in the US, this will hardly put a dent in Apple's sales internationally. Only fools who have no idea what they are buying are purchasing the fire and its sales volume will quickly shrink once people figure out that it is no more than a heavily crippled gateway to amazon. Further, you can access the same amazon content on an iPad, using free Amazon provided apps and your web browser, yet do exponentially more in a device far superior for consuming that digital content.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would you buy a 2 when the 3's going to come out?

I expect/hope the 3 will launch in the Spring, but if the upgrade isn't compelling, it'll be either a 2 or an Air. Apple will offer a nice discount for either. It's just for business travel and recreation...the Air currently has the pole position.

But people can move between them without repurchasing all their furniture, vehicles, and clothing.

You missed the operative word: wife! I bought the Fire for my wife. Like taking candy from a baby...not! And again my needs and wants are different. And at $150 for the Fire, I could justify both.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The analyst's pants must be down around his ankles. Where else would he pull these numbers from but from his *ss.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

As you were told in the other thread, you are not the only person who matters - and you don't get to dictate what people should buy. For some people, the Fire is good enough - and at 1/3 the price, that's a bargain. For others, the Fire is not going to meet their needs. Either way, you don't get to dictate that it's garbage and whine about people disagreeing with you.

The MOST you can say is that it doesn't meet your needs.

Quote:

I guess you've forgotten how little kids are. You're also assuming (once again) that you know what they're going to do with it. If the Fire meets their needs, then a lot of kids WOULD choose the Fire 100% instead of the iPad 50% of the time.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    I compared both: the Fire & Nook. Since we're AMZ prime, more benefits for staying in their universe. Camera's not required (we both have iPhones). My wife is VERY happy watching NetFlix, news and magazines. Really, I also find it satisfactory. Remember, it's all about needs. Oh, and one more thing, the Fire only cost me $150! ($50 credit to open AMZ CC, no taxes & no shipping). So now I can justify my own iPad or Air this Spring (my needs are different)!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I can see you buying the Touch for yourself because of the e-ink screen as it is more enjoyable for reading. Owning that and an iPad would complement each other. I, however, can't see the point of owning a Fire and iPad. The Fire is so inferior compared to the iPad nobody would ever use the Fire if they owned both. The Fire also lacks cameras, sensors, and other features. Those omissions essential assure if can't be used for certain types of communications, and other applications.

I have a family member who got the Fire as a gift so I have used it. I really don't like it for reading as much as the regular Kindle, and its sluggishness and smaller size make it a pain to use in relation to the iPad.

The Nook for fifty dollars more is a better device than the Fire. It can do the same things, but it isn't sluggish.

• Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

But it's plain to see the Windows netbook market collapsed after the iPad was introduced. Steve said that netbooks were crappy and that users were dissatisfied with them and he was right. I'm willing to bet that if you placed an iPad and a Kindle Fire together and let even young children decide which one was easier to use and was the most responsive, I'll bet the iPad would be preferred by most. I'm not saying the Kindle Fire isn't decent, but we need to keep things in perspective. The Kindle Fire is merely a low-cost alternative (not a substitute) for an iPad in function or quality.

I fully agree the iPad stomps the Kindle Fire in every category... no argument here.

My point was... 2 Kindle Fires... or 1 iPad. Some holiday shoppers will have to make that decision.

The Fire's price is still attractive to some people.

I, personally, wouldn't buy a Kindle Fire.... but Amazon is gonna sell millions of them anyway.

The funny thing will be how many Fires get returned... and how many of those people end up buying iPads as a result