Windows Store discounts, optional subscriptions to undercut Apple's App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

"It?s not an app you could have on the iPad?

Yes. You quite easily could,.

A newspaper/magazine app yes. But he's really taking a dig on the whole 'in app through Apple or out of app off your system with zero links in the app' rules.

and frankly I think he'll find that many folks don't really care that much. It think that Microsoft also set the bar at $25k because they know that only a small cut of apps (30% tops) will ever hit that amount and get the reduction. Especially if they allow free apps.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

apple is on a downward trajectory, pretty obvious

True. But it is a rather slow slide, and caused more by an increase in the total amount of units in the market and not a drop in Apple sales. Same with the whole Kindle Fire thing.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    csvsm Does having Apple stock make your opinion more valid than mine?

I have heard the kid with netbook story a few times on this site in a copule days, it's hard to believe this story is not just being thrown around as a mechanism to disprove Windows whenever necessary. How could Windows have 90%+ market share, yet not even connect to a network.

Apple are not the only company coming up with original ideas, you sound like a typical true blinded consumer, with in an unability to see outside you own little tech bubble
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

2020 marketshare: android 54%, M$: 39%, apple: 7%

apple is on a downward trajectory, pretty obvious

2020 profits: android .07%, MS .03% apple 99%

Profits > Market Share
  • Reply 25 of 45
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

2020 profits: android .07%, MS .03% apple 99%

Profits > Market Share

Look, another post with wishful thinking
  • Reply 26 of 45
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

The current slate of OS's that they have are horrendous (just bought my kid a netbook and it was an extreme headache to even setup to a network)

It as difficult as setting a network in OS X
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hzc View Post

This article refers to the upcoming store as "The Windows Store" but it doesn't state that this is the official name that Microsoft will indeed use.

It's called the Windows Store.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Braden99 View Post

I have heard the kid with netbook story a few times on this site in a copule days, it's hard to believe this story is not just being thrown around as a mechanism to disprove Windows whenever necessary. How could Windows have 90%+ market share, yet not even connect to a network.

Click the network icon on the taskbar. Click your network. Enter the password.

Done.

Pro Tip: Check the box that says "Connect to this network automatically" and they everafter, all you need to do is turn on your computer.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hzc View Post

This article refers to the upcoming store as "The Windows Store" but it doesn't state that this is the official name that Microsoft will indeed use. I think the point trying to be made here is that Microsoft has been making a fuss about "App Store" (after they've used "Windows" for decades). Why would they care, unless they were planning on using the phrase somewhere in their marketing?

Mmmm... "There's an Windows for that!"
  • Reply 30 of 45
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

That is a wonderful first post. Spelling Microsoft as "M$" may be a little old school now that Apple is the one pocketing the "$" (totally not by anticompetitive practices!) but it conveys positive, energetic hatred as efficiently as ever. You should join us on Sundays when we gather together to hate Microsoft. It's a lot of fun!

I think he may be a cnet graduate. Cnet forums is the preschool of Apple v Microsoft online rivalry and peculiarly stuck in a time warp of redundancy.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheralSadurns View Post

"Microsoft has been a highly vocal opponent of Apple's application to trademark the "App Store" name, arguing that the mark is invalid because it is generic. Apple fired back at its long-time rival by arguing that "Windows" is also a generic term."

That. And:

As far as I can think back... it was like this:

Macintosh --> Applications / Applications Folder

Windows --> Programs / Program Files / ?

Never EVER has Redmond before the arrival of the App Store on iOS used the word Application. 'App' just being an acronym for Application. So if it is such an inavoidable term... why haven't they had applications during the past 20 years ?

Why then call it 'App Store' and not... in line with their current naming scheme 'Prog Store'.

I like it - the Windows Prog store. I bet you Balmer championed that one.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I like it - the Windows Prog store. I bet you Balmer championed that one.

Actually, if they had any sense of taste (and committment) -- they'd call it the Metro Store.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The software giant will take a 30 percent cut only for the first $25,000 in app sales or in-app transactions before dropping its take to just 20 percent. The Windows Store will, however have a higher minimum price of $1.49.

So, mathematically speaking, this is an improvement over Apple's policy how?
  • Reply 34 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

So, mathematically speaking, this is an improvement over Apple's policy how?

Well, if the same number of apps are sold, the developer makes 70% of $1.49 instead of 70% of $0.99 for the first $25,000 - and then 80% of $1.49 instead of 70% of $0.99 for the rest. Should be pretty obvious.

Of course, what's not obvious is the number of apps that will be sold. If you sell 10,000 apps in the Apple store at $0.99 vs 5,000 apps in the Windows store for $1.49, the math will change.

Result? There's no obvious winner. It will all depend on circumstances. However, it is safe to say that for a developer whose app is already > $1.49 and who sells significant numbers (over $25 K), they will come out ahead on the Windows store if the volume is the same.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Well, if the same number of apps are sold, the developer makes 70% of $1.49 instead of 70% of $0.99 for the first $25,000 - and then 80% of $1.49 instead of 70% of $0.99 for the rest. Should be pretty obvious.

Of course, what's not obvious is the number of apps that will be sold. If you sell 10,000 apps in the Apple store at $0.99 vs 5,000 apps in the Windows store for $1.49, the math will change.

Result? There's no obvious winner. It will all depend on circumstances. However, it is safe to say that for a developer whose app is already > $1.49 and who sells significant numbers (over $25 K), they will come out ahead on the Windows store if the volume is the same.

Are there even 25,000 people who have a Windows phone?
  • Reply 36 of 45
    I guess you will not be able to actually buy anything on the Windows Store. The apps will all be unlockable demos so they don't have to share any revenue. You'll have to enter your credit card info in the app and maybe even use serial numbers. There is a reason apple charges the same for in-app purchases. I personally think that Apple doesn't quite have it right, but at least they are closer then Microsoft.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Are there even 25,000 people who have a Windows phone?

What makes you think that it's only going to work for Windows Phone users?
  • Reply 38 of 45
    all i can say is: eat s*** and die off, MS.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

It's called the Windows Store.

i thought it was 'Malware Alley'?
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What makes you think that it's only going to work for Windows Phone users?

It's the Windows App store, I don't expect it to be working on every cell phone available.