Motorola wins major injunction against Apple's iPhone, iPad in Germany

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Your satire is top notch. Too bad no one else seems to see it.

Thanks. However, I doubt that you are my only fan.
  • Reply 82 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Apple knew EXACTLY what it was doing. Apple knew EXACTLY what the stakes were. Apple tried to sleaze its way into profits, but has been caught with its hand in the cookie jar.

Didn't Apple try this before when it sued Microsoft for copying the "look" of its GUI? And guess who lost that one. So you're right. Apple isn't a newbie at all in litigation.
  • Reply 83 of 137
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KDMeister View Post

So Apple comes out with a phone. In order to build a phone, you have to go out and buy parts which include wireless chips. So who should pay the FRAND? The companies that make the chips or the companies that put the chips together to make a phone. It seems unfair that companies like Motorola who contributed to world wireless standards get to double dip. How is it possible that I can buy a feature phone for $20 where I live? This FRAND cost must be very small.

AMEN!

I think the German court simply don't understand technology.

This is exactly what Samsung have done in Australia. They sued Apple for using their patent in a Qualcomm chip. Qualcomm have already payed the license, Samsung can't get the money several times for the same chip.

And I still don't understand what GPRS have with 3G to do, since its a 2G technology with max speed of 128Kb. A simple software update could remove GPRS support in the devices.
  • Reply 84 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Considering that no-one but no-one.... including you, gave them a chance in "Mobile-Hell"... how is it that their gains are "ill-gotten"?

Because they profited from stolen property.
  • Reply 85 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Why? It "still" looks like a decent strategy... because even the "suits" didn't expect the iPhone to do as well as it did... even SJ was shocked.

So... why pay up front when everybody and his dog thought Apple was going to fail anyway.... and even the true believers such as SJ and Friends, were floored at the iPhone's success.

With 100 BILLION in the bank by the end of this quarter, whats even 100 Million... if it even comes to that. I'm to busy too do the math, but I bet Apple makes that only in interest in a very short period of time.

Too bad you're so full of hate, that you can't reason well. You'd never make a good manager or officer, let alone a techblog poster.

Money seems to trump what is right or wrong in your world. Typing "billion" in caps? That's a tell-tale sign.
  • Reply 86 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

What does this mean?

The Watch List:

The State of North Carolina,

They are not sufficiently grateful to Apple. So we are watching them.
  • Reply 87 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

And I still don't understand what GPRS have with 3G to do, since its a 2G technology with max speed of 128Kb. A simple software update could remove GPRS support in the devices.

I am not an expert on this, but I think there may be situations/places where, due to unavailability of 3G coverage, the user might be still happy to be connected, although even at degraded speed.
  • Reply 88 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If you seriously believe Apple (or anyone really) designs their products in this way, you are either insane or seriously deluded.

You also know nothing about how Apple designs it's products, how the company works in general etc.

In fact, I'm going to use Occam's razor and just assume flat out that you are some kid in a basement somewhere that doesn't know much about anything.

You want to give someone a haircut? You sure use that razor often.
  • Reply 89 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

This is the difficult point. Are we talking about business or ethics (or justice ..) ? From business standpoint, all these matters are treated from the cost/benefit angle, that's all.

I disagree that businesses all think that the ends (oversized profits) justify the means (stealing from innocent people).

Apple is likely the exception here, and not the standard bearer for business ethics.
  • Reply 90 of 137
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Pay back is a bitch....

Apple definitely deserved this one....

Oh, so you're a fk'ng lawyer now? You should really keep your mouth shut until its over.
  • Reply 91 of 137
    Quote:

When a company is large enough they can do what they want.

These huge mega-corporations, like Apple, need to learn some hard lessons in morality.

Let us hope that the justice systems in various countries can convince Apple to stop stealing.
  • Reply 92 of 137
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Seems like to be in the anti-Apple crowd you need to have absolutely no appreciation of nuance whatsoever. Apple's having a notification screen that drops down from the top invalidates any claims against Google's systematic copying of every aspect of iOS over a period of many years. Apple being involved in a licensing dispute over a standard invalidates their case against the copyists. Etc. These guys would call you a hypocrite for opposing a murder because you stole some grapes from the supermarket.
  • Reply 93 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Seems like to be in the anti-Apple crowd you need to have absolutely no appreciation of nuance whatsoever. Apple's having a notification screen that drops down from the top invalidates any claims against Google's systematic copying of every aspect of iOS over a period of many years. Apple being involved in a licensing dispute over a standard invalidates their case against the copyists. Etc. These guys would call you a hypocrite for opposing a murder because you stole some grapes from the supermarket.

+1 Well said
  • Reply 94 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

So, how long before they settle? It's just an amount of time before Apple reaches in its virtual sock drawer and settles up.

On another note, Apple needs to hurry up and deliver my retina display iPad 3.

Apple will appeal and win.

Was this not trial that Apple didn't even show up at?

Anybody here that knows of German law system? I live in a neighboring country and the first instance in court have 2 judges and 3 public appointment laymen. Thats why many here "loose" at first instance to have a real trial at the second instance. Second instance have 3 judges and 2 laymen.
  • Reply 95 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Especially since the drop down menu was developed first on jail broken iPhones. Android had notifications. Apple had PUSH notifications. Big different. And jail broken iPhones was the first phone with drop down, push notification.

Apple hired the guy that wrote the program and implemented it on iPhone.

So technically Google was inspired to this system also. Not from Apple, but from an iOS app.

To many Fandroids in the world that have zero knowledge about IT. Almost zero of them use Linux on their home computer since Microsoft RulezZZZz. Another company that they belie innovated anything. Its scary how brainwashed people are who use Android/Windows are.

Almost all Mac users also use windows.

Almost non Windows users use mac.

Thats why Mac users are the only one that have a clue about what they talk about.

Almost all iOS users are prepared to buy an Android if its a better phone then iPhone.

Almost none of Android users would ever buy an iPhone. (huge surveys done on this. Fandroids are close minded)
  • Reply 96 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

These huge mega-corporations, like Apple, need to learn some hard lessons in morality.

Let us hope that the justice systems in various countries can convince Apple to stop stealing.

You need to troll better.

You need to mention Hitler, Osama bin Laden and other good stuff to be a good troll.

But, I will feed the troll: You know that Apple pays Qualcomm for their chips? Qualcomm pays Motorola a fee for this. Why should Apple pay this fee 2 times?

Just look at the phone/tablet/computer world.

How does it come that every single maker is imitating Apple? Its because Apple is a highly innovated company. Google/MSFT are not innovative. In fact: Google have not innovated a single thing. They bought Android. MSFT licensed MacOS when they made Windows1 (somehow the judge agreed with MSFT that the license could be applied to all version of Windows)

Apple pays for its stuff. The Nokia Vs Apple trial was not about the Apple "stole" Nokia patent. The trial was about how much a fair value the Nokia patent had.
  • Reply 97 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,582member
    Quote:

Almost all iOS users are prepared to buy an Android if its a better phone then iPhone. . .

Really? Would you actually want a show of hands here?

There's some significant percentage of Apple owners who won't buy a Samsung TV now, no matter if it's the best choice for them otherwise, and an Apple branded TV isn't even an option. I don't personally think most iPhone users would swap over to Android if they offered a better phone and the OS was just as good (which it isn't yet but there's always room to hope)
  • Reply 98 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

I am not an expert on this, but I think there may be situations/places where, due to unavailability of 3G coverage, the user might be still happy to be connected, although even at degraded speed.

When there is no 3G connection, it goes down to 2.5G: EDGE.

I have never seen 2G, but I live an modern country.

GPRS is a fast 2G data transfer protocol. 128Kb. This is something that is completely uninteresting for an iPhone user. Apple should therefore simply paths iOS to remove GPRS. When people are in 2G only settings they would be able to call, use EDGE but not use GPRS.
  • Reply 99 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Really? Would you actually want a show of hands here?

There's some significant percentage of Apple owners who won't buy a Samsung TV now, no matter if it's the best choice for them otherwise, and an Apple branded TV isn't even an option. I don't personally think most iPhone users would swap over to Android if they offered a better phone and the OS was just as good (which it isn't yet but there's always room to hope)

Yes there are surveys.

Look at theregister.co.uk and search for the survey.

But what is the best phone is subjective. Thats why 90%+ iPhone users upgrade to new iPhones.

The hate that Android users have for Apple is just simply brainwashed Google nerds that believe anything that Google says.

(I will look up the link to the surveys when I have time)
  • Reply 100 of 137
    Quote:

Almost all Mac users also use windows.

Almost non Windows users use mac.

Thats why Mac users are the only one that have a clue about what they talk about.

Almost all drivers of standard transmissions also use an automatic.

Almost all non-standard transmission drivers use an automatic.

That is why drivers of standard transmission cars are the only one that have a clue about what they talk about.

Or something like that.