Motorola wins major injunction against Apple's iPhone, iPad in Germany

Comments

• Reply 101 of 137
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's some significant percentage of Apple owners who won't buy a Samsung TV now, no matter if it's the best choice for them otherwise, and an Apple branded TV isn't even an option.

When an Apple branded TV becomes an option, they will buy it, not knowing nor caring who made the guts, even if Samsung makes more profit from the hardware than Apple makes from the software and services.

Many of those who vow to never buy from Samsung carry a large number of expensive Samsung chips in their pocket every day, and never realize that they are enriching Samsung pretty much every time they choose Apple.
  • Reply 102 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

Money seems to trump what is right or wrong in your world. Typing "billion" in caps? That's a tell-tale sign.

You're stretching too far.

What is right and wrong with the world ALL revolves around money, and nobody can dispute that... and no, just because I typed billions in caps does not make me a fan of the 1%-ers raining havoc with our pursuit of happiness, which many would say is futile anyway.

I'm looking at this particular problem, as two equally sized business heavyweights, rumbling it out in the courts around the world where-ever they see a potential advantage. Manila anyone?

And correct me if I'm wrong here, but Apple has been the traditional... and in my mind still is... the underdog in everything related to tech for the last 30+ years. As someone above has mentioned, I also don't want to envision a world without Apple and it's thorough and complete dominance over the innovation side of tech.

No Apple II or Mac = no Windows GUI

No iPhone = no Android with touch

No iPad = not even ONE manufacturer would have even tried a tablet. All indicators pointed to "fail".

However... we would be awash with trashy computers and devices with styli, little buttons, netbook-style, command-line-CRAP! With probably not a mouse in sight I might add.

Apple finally got sick and tired of being ripped off, mugged, technically raped and left for dead... took too long IMHO.

"Zen" thinking however DID have a nice pay-out... so yes, in the case of Apple BILLIONS (in caps) is something I, as a 25+ year user and shareholder.... am quite proud of, and have no regrets or argument with their business decisions.

True Fanboy I am
  • Reply 103 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

When an Apple branded TV becomes an option, they will buy it, not knowing nor caring who made the guts, even if Samsung makes more profit from the guts than Apple makes from the silkscreened brand name.

Many of those who vow to never buy from Samsung carry a large number of expensive Samsung chips in their pocket every day, and never realize that they are enriching Samsung pretty much every time they choose Apple.

And just because ONE division is full of non-creative stealing ass+++s, does not immediately mean the entire conglomerate is full of them.

"N*gger" (your description for yourself) comes to mind. You certainly like tacky and nasty generalizations don't you? Your "wierdos" comment on the new Apple Store thread pegs you as a narrow-minded fool, and you yourself keep proving the point.
  • Reply 104 of 137
    I'm curious to see how the interplay between the German court's decision here and the EU's investigation into Motorola's use of FRAND patents. If Moto takes steps to enforce their rights under the German court's order, will that provide evidence for the EU investigation? Seems like quite a mess to me.
  • Reply 105 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

"N*gger" (your description for yourself)

Nope. That is the identity ascribed to me by certain posters. It is not, however, my description for myself or for anybody else.

I don't often respond to these misattributions. But the funny thing here is that the misatrtribution is in a bizarre context. Another poster said it is OK to make such statements because of the category of person that I belong to.
  • Reply 106 of 137
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

It's still a sweet result. SWEET.

The Fragdroid apologists are desperate for good news. Any good news.

Just a (minor) cost of doing business for Apple.
  • Reply 107 of 137
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    This is what differentiates a design company from a R&D company: Fundamental patents.

Samsung, too, is in the latter category, its the #2 patent holder in 2010 and has been on the top 10 list for most patents for over 10 years.
  • Reply 108 of 137
    To AppleInsider,

Please turn off the smileys and other features added recently. They are distracting, and really helping trolls.
  • Reply 109 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

So, Motorola refuses to license a FRAND patent.. and they get an injunction? Un.. fucking... believable

Let's see what happens when Apple products are actually banned in Germany/Europe. The public uproar is going to be deafening

I look forward to Motorola and their 20K employees to be integrated into Google. It will be fun to see that anchor take down the ship

That is incorrect;

Apple basically wanted to settle with possible damages as part of the license due to past alleged violations since 2007; which can amount to rather large amount given the length of time and number of devices. They basically want to the license to retroactively apply to the previous period. Motorola is not obliged to settle on past damages in licensing the patent going forward under German corporate law, and refused to settle on Apple's terms. That's why they are getting an injunction today.
  • Reply 110 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If you seriously believe Apple (or anyone really) designs their products in this way, you are either insane or seriously deluded.

You also know nothing about how Apple designs it's products, how the company works in general etc.

In fact, I'm going to use Occam's razor and just assume flat out that you are some kid in a basement somewhere that doesn't know much about anything.

Why is it always personal attacks with you clowns? Peabody, get back to sucking off Skil and Solipsism, whichever "mountain" he climbed - yeah, a mountain of bullshit posts.

I'm done with this place, you can't even report the fucking news any more - and anyone who doesn't share your myopia gets attacked - or banned, or added to your little lists. get a fucking grip, you all just sit around stroking each other off - very nice for you all.

By the way Peabody - you're a particularly useless cunt, in a sea of useless cunts. I'm not in a basement by the way, but I'm sure you're into that. The Professor of pompous shite is how I shall always remember you. Your ridiculous shoehorning of Ockham's razor (preferred spelling) into your last post sums you up. Honestly - and I mean that on a personal level. I was reading articles here and actually learning something long before you showed up, or Skil, back before all the stroking began. I will also apply Ockham's razor and arrive at the conclusion that you're full of it.

Toodles.
  • Reply 111 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

To AppleInsider,

Please turn off the smileys and other features added recently. They are distracting, and really helping trolls.

Recently? They've been around for years… How long have you been reading AI? Just ignore them.

How do emoticons help trolls?
  • Reply 112 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

Didn't Apple try this before when it sued Microsoft for copying the "look" of its GUI? And guess who lost that one. So you're right. Apple isn't a newbie at all in litigation.

Re the historical reference. Apply won a small victory some time later but it was too late. I seem to recall MS had to do some changes such as no device icons on the desk top and a few I can't recall. Others here will no doubt have the details.
  • Reply 113 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How do emoticons help trolls?

A picture is worth a thousand words. Emoticons help everybody.
  • Reply 114 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

Why is it always personal attacks with you clowns? Peabody, get back to sucking off Skil and Solipsism, whichever "mountain" he climbed - yeah, a mountain of bullshit posts.

I'm done with this place, you can't even report the fucking news any more - and anyone who doesn't share your myopia gets attacked - or banned, or added to your little lists. get a fucking grip, you all just sit around stroking each other off - very nice for you all.

By the way Peabody - you're a particularly useless cunt, in a sea of useless cunts. I'm not in a basement by the way, but I'm sure you're into that. The Professor of pompous shite is how I shall always remember you. Your ridiculous shoehorning of Ockham's razor (preferred spelling) into your last post sums you up. Honestly - and I mean that on a personal level. I was reading articles here and actually learning something long before you showed up, or Skil, back before all the stroking began. I will also apply Ockham's razor and arrive at the conclusion that you're full of it.

Toodles.

Otherwise you had a good time on AI ... ?
  • Reply 115 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sip View Post

Germans like their tech and can afford it -- I have no idea how many iPhones have been sold in Germany but they've always been keen on Apple products, and produced lots of software pre-OSX.

They may well take out their frustrations on Googarola.

This is exactly the outcome I expect. Apple is pretty popular there. I imagine Moto is losing any kind of popularity it had now.
  • Reply 116 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Pay back is a bitch....

Apple definitely deserved this one....

How is this "payback"? Motorola was protecting its intellectual property rights, no? What are they, children on a playground?
  • Reply 117 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

This is exactly the outcome I expect. Apple is pretty popular there. I imagine Moto is losing any kind of popularity it had now.

Moto hasn't been very popular in Europe anyway but Android as a whole, and Samsung in particular, has done pretty well there in a very short time. Zoomed from 6% share in July 2010 to more than 22% by July 2011.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/13/and...ehind-symbian/

Agreed that Apple is certainly popular there, and in most places in the world. The entire industry follows their every move.
  • Reply 118 of 137
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Apple fans need to hang their heads in shame.

Actually, we don't. And we also have an ignore list to help us avoid your smug, Andriod based rants.

Welcome to it, and good riddance to you.
  • Reply 119 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I just came across the easiest-to-understand explanation of all this over at TechCrunch and think it's well worth quoting:

"Basically, if a company is found to be using FRAND-style patented technology in its products, the court can only allow that company a FRAND defense if it’s made “an irrevocable, binding offer” to license the patents on FRAND terms and also post a bond for ongoing royalties, reports FOSS Patents.

Apple did make an offer, to license all of Motorola’s FRAND-pledged patents, but threw in a clause that drifts away from the idea of “irrevocable” and “binding.” The issue is that Apple wants to argue the validity of the patent in question, which would mean those royalty payments would fly out the window.

The court in Germany agreed with Motorola when it argued that the offer Apple made to license the patents was shy of what is needed to cover damages. That said, Motorola can license these patents to Apple moving forward, but Apple will have to cough up the dough for past infringement."
  • Reply 120 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Actually, we don't. And we also have an ignore list to help us avoid your smug, Andriod based rants.

Welcome to it, and good riddance to you.

Do I know you? I can't quite remember any of your posts.