Microsoft shuffles Windows Phone management to build momentum

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    I remember the poor-taste spectacle of Microsoft folks having a funeral for iPhone.

Now we know who was really in the casket.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

I remember the poor-taste spectacle of Microsoft folks having a funeral for iPhone.

Now we know who was really in the casket.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that. I must see if I can find a video. That should be recycled for sure.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I never knew about the MS - iPhone funeral.

Haha, what a bunch of pathetic fools.

Windows Phones deserves to burn in hell together with Android!
  • Reply 24 of 42
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft has rearranged its management team for Windows Phone, shifting division head Andy Lees to a "time-critical opportunity" to build momentum for its Windows Phone and Windows 8 operating systems, a move that some have viewed as a sign of failure.

"Rearranging deck chairs on a ship that's going down"
  • Reply 25 of 42
    A couple of weeks ago, it was reported that Gates had overruled Ballmer, forcing the company to hold the line on Wndows Everywhere. Thus, the silliness that the same OS must run on all devices, whether phones, tablets, computers, toasters, etc. This suggests the even sillier notion that the same programs run on all the platforms. Java's write once, run anywhere?

Unless Windows 8 will only be the same in name, there is no practical sense in this vision. Windows Everywhere was a great vision 30 years ago, but Gates is living in the past to think such a vision is tenable today.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

"Rearranging deck chairs on a ship that's going down"

That would be WindowsMobile. This is more like the Titanic sank, people died, and MS built another Titanic that was safe one of the best ships on the seas, but no one trusts the name because they called it Titanic 2 so no one is sailing on it do to its stigma yet it's a great ship.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

A couple of weeks ago, it was reported that Gates had overruled Ballmer, forcing the company to hold the line on Wndows Everywhere. Thus, the silliness that the same OS must run on all devices, whether phones, tablets, computers, toasters, etc. This suggests the even sillier notion that the same programs run on all the platforms. Java's write once, run anywhere?

Unless Windows 8 will only be the same in name, there is no practical sense in this vision. Windows Everywhere was a great vision 30 years ago, but Gates is living in the past to think such a vision is tenable today.

Actually, i think the vision is more tenable today than "30 years ago." With the rate hardware is progressing today, especially in the mobile sector, it is not far fetched to think that soon the overhead and performance penalty from running a full desktop OS on a mobile device will be negligible.

Of course there are other issues to be resolved, but i think windows everywhere makes more sense today than ever before.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    The only thought I had while reading this article: are we really quoting Joe Wilcox from Betanews so heavily? Since when did this guy's rants and ill-informed opinions become something worth quoting?
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

... This is more like the Titanic sank, people died, and MS built another Titanic that was safe one of the best ships on the seas, but no one trusted the name because they called it Titanic 2 so no one is sailing on it do to its stigma yet it's a great ship.

Great analogy. Windows Phone 7 = Titanic 2.

My take on this news is probably a bit weird but the first thing I thought was that this has to do with MS Office.

Lees is being moved to an important "time sensitive" (due out next year) project that spans both of Microsoft's platforms. He's kind of a "clutch" guy at the company and has been put in to fix other failing projects in the past (at least as far as I heard). Add that to the rumour of MS making Office for iOS and the recent debut of their notes app (part of Office traditionally), and I think the "big project" is about putting MS Office on tablets.

Microsoft only has two products that actually sell and make it money. Windows and Office. It stands to reason that they would pull out Office as a sort of "Ace in the Hole" to prop up the failing OS situation.

Also, that rumour about Office for iOS seemed pretty firm, but anyone with half a brain can see that bringing out Office for iOS is the same thing as stabbing their own mobile platform directly in the heart. Why would anyone ever switch to a Windows tablet if you could use Office on the iPad? The whole idea is ridiculous.

For that reason they may not do it at all, but if they did they would *have* to have a version for their own mobile OS first.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Yup, this will solve all their problems.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    seems like Microsoft needs to re-align for launch of Windows Mobile 8 and OS 8

the early windows mobile 7.5 mango phones are ok if you like no keyboard versions, but what if you want a slideout keyboard to compete with iphone's? you can't get one.

i am open to window tablet 8, it could be a good thing to get a tablet with a more open architecture than IOS and more solid than Android.

could be interesting.... but Microsoft needs better staffing and to throw proper strategic deals to make it fly. No one thinks anyone can compete with Android and IOS.... I do. Can't count MS out. but they need to launch this one correct if it will not end with egg on their face.

which namely ought to be cost effective products with tons of App's. or even full featured software on tablet Windows 8 variant.

could be interesting, lots of potential, but they need visionaries making and marketing it, a nokia deal isn't visionary. they could have licensed it to anyone. they need to make sure it is cost effective and competes with iphone.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Sliding down a steep incline towards a precipice is definitely one way to gain momentum!
  • Reply 33 of 42
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I have seen one WP7 when in flight from LA to SF a couple months ago. Interesting interface. It looks promising and in my personal opinion, is better than that mess they call Android. [...]

Agree, but it's obvious that Microsoft has intentionally gone as far away from iOS' look-and-feel as possible. Android has come as close to iOS' look-and-feel as possible.

Funny that both of them are, IMHO, equally distasteful.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

The interface is unusable. Who in their right mind things text scrolling off the right side of the screen all over the place makes sense? We are talking Design 101 here.

You have got to be joking, if there is one thing that anyone who has ever used a windows 7 phone has said is that they got UI right. Go troll elsewhere bullhead.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    I don't know how you can pin the failure of Windows Phone on Andy Lees. I don't think there was anything they could do. By the time Microsoft realized that Apple had changed the game, and Windows Mobile 6 was stale, it was too late.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noliving View Post

You have got to be joking, if there is one thing that anyone who has ever used a windows 7 phone has said is that they got UI right. Go troll elsewhere bullhead.

That is clearly what they are saying...look at how fast those Windows Phones are selling. What 1.5% of the market now and still shrinking? Windows Phone 7 is a total failure. Why can't you softies admit it? The UI is _horribad_
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noliving View Post

Just ignore him.

Here I'll help! Simply click here to improve your AI forum experience!
  • Reply 38 of 42
    I wonder when, if ever, Microsoft is going to realise the Xbox360 person/team is the only person/team in Microsoft that "gets" anything.

If I were a shareholder, I would be calling for Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer to step down and cease all leadership of Microsoft effective, 3 years ago.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Just ignore him.

Here I'll help! Simply click here to improve your AI forum experience!

Sorry the truth hurts. No wonder the world is so mess up, people just tune out reality and live in their own fantasy world.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Sorry the truth hurts. No wonder the world is so mess up, people just tune out reality and live in their own fantasy world.

That's like complaining someone who avoids eating dogsh*t isn't expanding their culinary horizons.

I don't tune out to reality, just the useless stuff.