PC makers losing interest in tablets, hope Ultrabooks will improve margins

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

To be fair, the Macbook Air became an "ultra book" only with the release of the late 2010 models, and the price drops which accompanied it, still giving Apple at least a year's head start.

The definition of an ultrabook was not solidified until this year and that no one even considered the possibility until Apple created one. Until then, any lightweight laptop was basically called a netbook.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

exactly, Windows OS 8 on Tablet format ought to be really interesting. . .

Yup, if oughts were bots they?ll be flying out the doors.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Amazon Kindle Fire owns the low end of the pad market:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Amazon recently entered the touchscreen tablet market with its new Kindle Fire, which has already become the online retailer's best-selling product.

Apple iPad owns the high end of the pad market:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

And while competitors bow out of the tablet space, Apple's iPad sales continue to grow while the company dominates the market.

All the rest of the would-be competitors in the pad space have run into the "infrastructure wall." It's easy to design and build pad computing hardware. There are (or were) dozens of no-name Chinese knockoffs. Google "Chinese tablets." It's almost funny.

That's your proof that almost any hardware company can mash up a pad computer. But it's vastly harder to integrate an OS with your pad computing hardware. Just ask Google about fragmentation and UI lag. Just ask RIM about native email. If you don't develop both the hardware and software, together, for each other, you're going to run into catastrophic problems. And even if you do control both hardware and software, you might fail anyway. Just ask Palm. And HP.

So, as hard as that all device development is, it's completely impossible to copy iTunes, iTunes Store, App Store, iCloud and now Siri overnight. Apple has been working on that ecosystem and its experience for the last 10 years. iOS devices are just portholes, of various sizes, into that ecosystem.

And that's the killer, isn't it? Pad hardware is easy. But the Dells and Acers of the world are finally realizing that the hardware, for all the attention that Jonathan Ive's designs get, is only the first little baby step. It's the ecosystem that adds real value to the hardware. iPad is just the box the ecosystem comes in. Consumers have always known that, or at least reacted to that fact subconsciously.

Amazon has a great ecosystem. Kindle Fire is sold at a small loss, Amazon makes that up and more through sales. Apple has a great ecosystem. iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV are all sold at a profit, and Apple makes a little extra money through sales. Is there a third possible model? A model that isn't covered by those to approaches? I don't think so.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

What Apple needs so badly is its own network so that the AT&Ts and Verizons of the world can't put a gun to their head when full-on mobile/cloud computing finally arrives. No we're not there yet.

I wish so much that would happen and also buy a sat. TV Company as well...that would solve part of the "go to market" hurdle that Steve was talking about.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arjaosx View Post

The iPad was first and it set the bar too high, competition cannot catch up so they lose interest.

Is this a different case with the MBA?

With tablets the competitors have nothing new to offer. Why go with second best if it offers the same or less than the iPad.

The MBA has competition from the Ultrabooks just by the sheer fact that the Ultrabooks at least offer a standard Windows experience.

(Whenever I mention Windows in a post I think of a Canadian tv show that used to air called Corner Gas. Every time anyone mentioned the name of this other town (Woolerton) everyone would turn their head sideways and spit.)
  • Reply 66 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

I'm going to label this the most premature article of the decade. Windows 8 is being developed for tablets and computers. I think all the Windows OEMs will be gearing up for tablets for or after the Windows 8 launch.

Yes, Apple is doomed when Windows 8 appears. We all know that.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    These companies are competing bass-ackwards. This is how it works:

A) Watch whatever Apple brings to market, B) Copy it as much as possible and offer your own cheaper solution.

You could apply that logic to the iTunes store, App store, iPod, iPhone, iPad, Macbook, Macbook Air and even the AppleTV. While none of these products were the absolute first in their category, they are currently ranked as the most popular & by far the most successful. Every competitor is making their own copycat version to try and do what those products do.

The problem is.. all of those products share one thing in common. Both the software & hardware are built by the same company.. Apple. That means they all work together within the Apple ecosystem to deliver a consistent user friendly, reliable, well built experience.. using high quality materials and the best support in the business. You simply cant come along with a phone made one company (Samsung) and an OS made by another company (Google) and equal that experience. The only thing you can do is cheapen your offering, to try and challenge Apple on price. And people are quickly finding out.. more often than not, its worth more in the long run to choose the Apple experience instead.

My personal Apple history reflects this and Im sure it does for millions of others. After the frustration of using a Creative Labs MP3 player.. I broke down and bought my iPod in 2005. I begin to use iTunes to sync it and purchase new music and media. My excellent experience with my iPod led to me getting a iPhone3GS in 2009 when it came time to replace my Blackberry. In 2010, I purchased a Macbook Pro to replace my HP laptop. And in 2011 I purchased an iPad2 to use as the ultimate convenience device. I also have AppleTV and the Apple Extreme Router.

It is absolutely amazing how all of these devices work with each other to make my life simplier and easier. Software updates are constantly available to keep things up to date, the app store keep things fresh and the resale value keeps me upgrading when necessary. I've since sold my 3GS for more than I initially paid for it to upgrade to the 4.. and did the same with my 4 to upgrade to the 4S. I sold my MBP for 10% less than what I paid for it new.. to upgrade to the latest 13" MBA.

With such a steller track record.. and a string of great experiences. I will always give Apple the benefit of the doubt, when its time to upgrade or purchase a new device, instead of going with a competitors cheaper copycat version. Or atleast until the cheaper copycats can deliver a very similar experience. (For example.. if the Samsung Galaxy III with ICS can equal the iPhone5, then I'd consider that as my next cell phone).
  • Reply 68 of 72
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,007member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Holy Cow! Until a solid competitor emerges, Apple will continue to charge a premium for their tablets. Let's hope somebody is up for the challenge! At least Amazon is setting a good example, albeit with a different sized screen.

I know you are trolling, but I fell bad for any hardware manufacturer that follows you type of advice!

Amazon's Kindle is selling like crazy though it will be a while before we know if word of mouth sustains their sales (it won't matter that several tech sites are slamming it if there is consumer demand).

HOWEVER, the big question is if Amazon can afford continuing high sales! Remember, they are selling each unit at break even or at a loss. They hope that they can make it up on media sales (we'll see) but anyone else that tries to follow their pricing method is doomeder than Apple in '95
  • Reply 69 of 72
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

exactly, Windows OS 8 on Tablet format ought to be really interesting. I don't believe that it is a bad thing at all to get competition and it is high time Microsoft competed with IOS Tablet.

I guess?

Quote:

Apple has a closed system,

How does that degrade the quality of my user experience?

Quote:

won't allow software from outside sources to be installed,

I guess you mean you have to go through the iOS App Store, but the overwhelming majority of the 500,00 applications available there are most certainly from "outside sources." And, again, how does damage my user experience?

Quote:

a not easy to understand file structure. many people will like a tablet which is more like a full PC and more open.

Where "not easy to understand" equals "not exposed to the user", arguably one of the iPads strengths You know those people who are walking around with their laptops open because they're afraid if they close the lid it'll go to sleep and never wake up, that we were talking about earlier? How much you want to bet that their desktops are jam packed with icons, because they're afraid if they tuck something away in the "file systems" they'll never find it again?

A tablet that is "more like a full PC" is a tablet that is more complex, more difficult to use, and more prone to unexpected behavior. In fact, these tablets have existed since well before the iPac, and they never went anywhere in the market, so I'm not sure why you think that's what the market craves now.

As far as "more open" goes, that's just an empty, meaningless phrase. What does that do for me?
  • Reply 70 of 72
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sambira View Post

The definition of an ultrabook was not solidified until this year and that no one even considered the possibility until Apple created one. Until then, any lightweight laptop was basically called a netbook.

That's not true; the netbook was a relatively new concept designed to revolve solely around the browser.

And before that, laptops were divided into 4 general types. Lightweight laptops were usually classified as Ultraportable or Thin and Light. (vs. mainstream and desktop replacement). Though there wasn't a strict definition for those categories, Ultraportables usually referred laptops with 10 to 12in screens, and no optical drive. Thin and Light usually meant 13 or 14in screens, and included an optical drive.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    Forget the iPad, these other companies can't compete with a company that is selling tablets at a loss (Amazon)??? Nobody even wants to be [#3 and profitable] in the tablet game? Wow, 2012 is the end of the world, indeed.
  • Reply 72 of 72
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

1. Skating to were the puck is or was not where it will be

Apple Strategy: Learn to skate to where the puck is going.

Samsung Stratetgy: Learn to skate really really fast so you can mob the guy who skated to where the puck is going faster than the rest of the competition.

Both works.