Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year

Comments

• Reply 101 of 186
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Note: By protesting their choice you are their choice.

Quite.

Anybody protesting against the status quo is Thinking Different. I am surprised at how few people here Think Different.
  • Reply 102 of 186
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yes, I am aware that it has been done in the past also, such as the monks which you mentioned.

Call me crazy, but self-immolation seems like a pretty retarded thing to do, no matter which culture somebody may happen to belong to.

And yet self immolation is still preferable to navigating America's healthcare system.
  • Reply 103 of 186
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Quite.

Anybody protesting against the status quo is Thinking Different. I am surprised at how few people here Think Different.

No doubt pax. The worst is the one that has it in their signature.

+1- Brilliantly said Sol
  • Reply 104 of 186
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Ok, I'm back in this thread, since certain people can't help but having a hard on for me.

I believe in Think Different, not Think like a moron. There's a big difference between the two. And setting yourself on fire is definitely thinking like a moron.
  • Reply 105 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here's my take:

The things Steve Jobs did this year are at least 60% guaranteed to make the world a better place. Either through some innovation of tech, some increase in productivity, or whatever else have you? Stet?

What the protesters (specifically Arab Spring) have done is only removed from the places in which they live the 100% certainty that their world would remain (or become) a (more) terrible place.

Both have the opportunity to be an improvement on quality of life. Only one has shown (or has been known to show) real progress in said area.

What I find interesting about the title of this thread it make it sound like Steve Jobs was just beaten out when he never even made it as a runnerup.
  • Reply 106 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

PLEASE! I beg everyone... just stop responding to him! He's an idiot. I know all the responses tell him he's an idiot- but people like them (ignorant and close-minded)- their minds cannot be changed. They can only be ignored.\

Hopefully the mods see this post which I quoted as it violates the rules of this forum and it contains a personal attack.

I haven't made any personal attacks in this thread. I am not ignorant of the rules of this forum, unlike certain posters.

The poster which I quoted should receive an infraction and I would like to report them to the proper authorities.
  • Reply 107 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Time is bias and they are very far to the left. This doesn't shock me at all.

It doesn't shock me either. Most people who aren't ignorant are aware of that.
  • Reply 108 of 186
    Quote:

I follow the news, and I am very well aware of what's going on.

If you watch fox news your less aware of what's going on than not watching any news.

Here's a story about their latest bs.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201112120005

They're well known for their "inaccurate" graphics.
  • Reply 109 of 186
    Quote:

Hopefully the mods see this post which I quoted as it violates the rules of this forum and it contains a personal attack.

I haven't made any personal attacks in this thread. I am not ignorant of the rules of this forum, unlike certain posters.

The poster which I quoted should receive an infraction and I would like to report them to the proper authorities.

lulz.
  • Reply 110 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yours Smugly View Post

Ahem, FOX "News" is not real news.

Fox News is as much real news as any other news outlet, such as MSNBC or other far-left, extremist liberal stations.

And I get my news from numerous sources. As a matter of fact, I will wager that I'm vastly more informed about news events in general than you are.
  • Reply 111 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

If you watch fox news your less aware of what's going on than not watching any news.

Here's a story about their latest bs.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201112120005

They're well known for their "inaccurate" graphics.

You must be a comedian or something.

Are you seriously going to use an extremist far-left site that is more biased than Fox News to try and prove that Fox News is somehow biased?
  • Reply 112 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

"The Protester"...how bogus. I hate when Time kisses ass like this. The Person of the Year award should go to a PERSON. That should be freaking obvious. What one PERSON had a particularly noticeable influence on society? Hmm, let's see...what one person dominated media coverage this year...hmm.

Normal definition of "person": human, individual ?sometimes used in combination especially by those who prefer to avoid man in compounds applicable to both sexes

Time's definition of "person": ...a person, couple, group, idea, place, or machine...

Seriously Time, if you want it to be about all these things then change the name of the award. Don't just create your own definition for a word. They're just doing this on purpose to generate publicity. It's clear manipulation and people don't like that.

Agreed. Not saying it should have gone to Steve Jobs but when they state "Citing demonstrations in the Middle East, Europe and the U.S., Time declared that "The Protester" was the single most important identity in 2011."

SINGLE... Just like "You" a couple of years ago. Meaningless...
  • Reply 113 of 186
    Quote:

You must be a comedian or something.

Are you seriously going to use an extremist far-left site that is more biased than Fox News to try and prove that Fox News is somehow biased?

Fox news has a bad habit of pushing bs (and thats being generous) in their graphics. They've been caught doing it again. Are you going to claim that this report is wrong? I'm sure it's just that the facts have an anti fox bias
  • Reply 114 of 186
    Quote:

Fox News is as much real news as any other news outlet, such as MSNBC or other far-left, extremist liberal stations.

That really made me laugh out loud. I consider MSNBC middle of the road. I am not sure this guy has any idea what left wing is.
  • Reply 115 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Fox news has a bad habit of pushing bs (and thats being generous) in their graphics. They've been caught doing it again. Are you going to claim that this report is wrong? I'm sure it's just that the facts have an anti fox bias

And as all informed people would know, other news outlets also push BS. If you only see faults with Fox News, then you are biased and it is you who needs a reality check. Are you unaware of the incident when MSNBC edited their news footage, as to make a black guy appear to be a white guy at a Tea Party Rally? That's just one example. There are many more, but the point is, if somebody only singles out Fox News for being biased, then they are being biased themselves.
  • Reply 116 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

That really made me laugh out loud. I consider MSNBC middle of the road. I am not sure this guy has any idea what left wing is.

Then that would make you a part of a small minority, as it is widely recognized that MSNBC leans to the left. Hardly anybody watches MSNBC anyway, as nobody cares what liberal, frothing at the mouth people think. Their viewership numbers are down in the dumps compared to Fox News.

Commentators have described MSNBC as having a bias towards left-leaning politics and the Democratic Party. In November 2007, a New York Times article stated that MSNBC's prime-time lineup is tilting more to the left.[10] Washington Post media analyst Howard Kurtz has stated that the channel's evening lineup "has clearly gravitated to the left in recent years and often seems to regard itself as the antithesis of Fox News."[30] In 2011, Salon.com noted that "MSNBC?s prime-time lineup is now awash in progressive politics."[61] That same year, Politico referred to MSNBC as "left-leaning."
  • Reply 117 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Bin Laden certainly deserved Person of the Year in 2001 if the Hitler did in 1938. However Hitler would not have deserved it in 1945. Harry Truman did for using nuclear weapons if nothing else. Steve Jobs' accomplishments in 2011 do not stand out above other years, although his death may have made people consider earlier accomplishments more consciously. It's not a lifetime achievement award and it's not supposed to be an honor. The Bin Laden decision was capitulation to those who incorrectly perceive it as such.

You're assuming that Hitler won in 1938 because of some positive accomplishments. Not true. By 1938 Hitler was already a ruthless dictator and a mass murderer. Time knew that, and gave him the award simply because he was the single most powerful figure on the world stage in 1938, not because he had done anything good for anyone. Picking Rudy Giuliani for 2001 made sense at the time. He was a strong and effective leader in a crisis, when America needed one.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...760539,00.html
  • Reply 118 of 186
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This liberal v conservative speak is off topic and overly political for a General Discussion article.
  • Reply 119 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This liberal v conservative speak is off topic and overly political for a General Discussion article.

I bet that you only say that since I'm back in the thread now.

I remember you posting liberal propaganda earlier (the twitter picture about Fox). You made it political, but now you don't like it anymore? Don't get upset just because I am back and am able to refute all of the nonsense.
  • Reply 120 of 186
    Quote:

Then that would make you a part of a small minority, as it is widely recognized that MSNBC leans to the left. Hardly anybody watches MSNBC anyway, as nobody cares what liberal, frothing at the mouth people think. Their viewership numbers are down in the dumps compared to Fox News.

Commentators have described MSNBC as having a bias towards left-leaning politics and the Democratic Party. In November 2007, a New York Times article stated that MSNBC's prime-time lineup is tilting more to the left.[10] Washington Post media analyst Howard Kurtz has stated that the channel's evening lineup "has clearly gravitated to the left in recent years and often seems to regard itself as the antithesis of Fox News."[30] In 2011, Salon.com noted that "MSNBC?s prime-time lineup is now awash in progressive politics."[61] That same year, Politico referred to MSNBC as "left-leaning."

You are funny. There is a considerable difference between left leaning and far-left, extremist liberal. Baader Meinhoff, perhaps.