Netflix 2.0 app refreshes iPad user interface, still lacks AirPlay

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Netflix has released its revamped user interface for iPhone and iPad after first debuting the new look for Android tablets.



Netflix 2.0



The new Netflix 2.0 app for iOS devices requires iOS 5, and supports client playback for subscribers "in all regions," including the US, Latin America and Canada.



In addition to bringing a new tablet user interface to iPad, the new version also fixes some "stability issues."



Netflix initially released its newly revamped user interface for Android tablets one month ago, which made its interface for tablets similar to its latest designs for set top boxes.



The Android release was aimed at debuting alongside the Amazon Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Nook Color, as well as "all Android tablets." Netflix promised an iPad version would follow "in the coming weeks."







The new user interface design "is much more immersive and provides greater focus on the growing number of titles in the Netflix catalog. In fact, the new interface displays twice as many movies and TV shows as before, enabling you to discover even more titles you'll love," the company stated at its original announcement.



App of all platforms, master of none



Netflix for iPhone continues to use a non-standard development build process that leaves it less responsive and accurate than truly native iOS apps, a quality issue Apple initially sought to avoid in the App Store by banning middleware development tools.



Netflix has sought to decrease its development efforts by delivering middle of the road apps that can work on more platforms, rather than custom crafting apps to specific platforms. The Netflix web app is particularly lackluster.



The new Netflix 2.0 for iOS still doesn't include support for AirPlay, Apple's wireless video distribution technology for streaming content from iOS devices to an Apple TV equipped HTDV, a feature that is unique to iOS. Native iOS apps essentially get AirPlay functionality for free.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 35
    I wonder what "non-standard" development process they are using for iPhone. Maybe Titanium (http://www.appcelerator.com).
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Why would we need AirPlay baked into the Netflix app, when we already have Netflix on the AppleTV itself?
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mercury52 View Post


    Why would we need AirPlay baked into the Netflix app, when we already have Netflix on the AppleTV itself?



    The one scenario I can think of is going to a friends house and using your Netflix account on your mobile app through his or her AppleTV - a paltry convenience, though.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mercury52 View Post


    Why would we need AirPlay baked into the Netflix app, when we already have Netflix on the AppleTV itself?



    A time saver. Convenience.



    AirPlay is a single button on an iDevice that will start the A/V stream, but if you have it playing on, say, the iPad you'll have to grab the AppleTV remote, navigate to the Netflix option (and assuming it's already in your queue) then select that option.



    Granted, I can't think of many scenarios where one might have something playing on an iPhone or iPad and then want to pop it over to a TV, but it would be nice to have it, just as it's nice to be able to do that with music and video on an iDevice when you can also access that content from the AppleTV.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mercury52 View Post


    Why would we need AirPlay baked into the Netflix app, when we already have Netflix on the AppleTV itself?



    I think AirPlay is going to be licensed to other companies to put into their TVs, receivers, and disc players.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,142member
    I can stream Netflix to my large HD screen via ATV v2 by simply invoking mirroring in AirPlay on my iPad. The 'fill screen' option works which it didn't used to giving full HD dimensions not cropping. However, as Mercury52 points out I can use the Netflix option on the ATV anyway. It was interesting to see it works though and far better than it did prior to the update.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    A time saver. Convenience.



    AirPlay is a single button on an iDevice that will start the A/V stream, but if you have it playing on, say, the iPad you'll have to grab the AppleTV remote, navigate to the Netflix option (and assuming it's already in your queue) then select that option.



    Granted, I can't think of many scenarios where one might have something playing on an iPhone or iPad and then want to pop it over to a TV, but it would be nice to have it, just as it's nice to be able to do that with music and video on an iDevice when you can also access that content from the AppleTV.



    not to mention you can cook an egg in the middle of all those wifi waves moving around all those devices
  • Reply 8 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post


    not to mention you can cook an egg in the middle of all those wifi waves moving around all those devices



    It's much faster to just buy the original AppleTV. That thing could cook a Thanksgiving turkey.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,428member
    This new Netflix version is a huge improvement over the old one.



    The layout is much better now.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    It's much faster to just buy the original AppleTV. That thing could cook a Thanksgiving turkey.



    Hey don't mock, our ATV 1 is our entire heating system in the winter here in Florida.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It can’t output to AirPlay yet, but I assume it can still output (real output, not just mirroring) via a cable?
  • Reply 12 of 35
    The new Netflix app is giving me issues on my iPad 2.

    Pinwheels forever. Reboot and asks for login but says the login is incorrect. Deleted the app and reinstalled with the same results.



    Caveat Emptor.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Netflix, anybody still using that after a million+ subscribers dumped them over their 60% price increase, less than a year after another price increase.



    Everyone I know (myself included), got rid of the greedy bastards!!!
  • Reply 14 of 35
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post


    Netflix, anybody still using that after a million+ subscribers dumped them over their 60% price increase, less than a year after another price increase.



    Everyone I know (myself included), got rid of the greedy bastards!!!



    There are many people like me who don't care about the DVD rental portion, and who only stream from Netflix.



    I don't know of anything that's better for $8 a month.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    There are many people like me who don't care about the DVD rental portion, and who only stream from Netflix.



    I don't know of anything that's better for $8 a month.



    All of the streaming stuff is real old..............
  • Reply 16 of 35
    It's missing the "Your" playlist, I have a bunch of movies picked to watch in my list but you can't see it using the iPad app.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post


    All of the streaming stuff is real old..............



    Yeah, it depends what somebody is interested in watching.



    If somebody is looking to watch the newest TV series a week after they air, then Netflix is not for them.



    I don't mind watching old stuff. I like watching good stuff, period. A lot of new stuff is terrible. Just because something is new, that doesn't make it better.



    If somebody is looking to have access to every single Star Trek series (Deep Space Nine, Original Star Trek, Next Generation, Voyager), then Netflix is cool, because they have every episode of every series. They also have Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead and many other series.



    There are also many other good things to watch on Netflix, like documentaries, which is a category that I happen to like. But, as I mentioned, it depends on what somebody is looking to watch.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Islandhitman View Post


    It's missing the "Your" playlist, I have a bunch of movies picked to watch in my list but you can't see it using the iPad app.



    If you mean the Instant Que, then that shows up fine in mine.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    That is MUCH better.....
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post


    All of the streaming stuff is real old..............



    Not much older that PPV or RedBox. I watched the Senna documentary last night, and it's only been out on BluRay for a few weeks.
Sign In or Register to comment.