Samsung says Apple lawsuits have put its Galaxy Tab on the map

Comments

• Reply 61 of 135
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

How could that be? What could possibly explain why there is such a huge difference in ratings for the same exact game? Hmmm, I wonder why that it is.

Well if you took the time to go to the Android market and look at the ratings, why didn't you take the extra 10 seconds to look at the actual reviews to explain why people had given it a poor review?
  • Reply 62 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Both phones have there ups and downs, but people walk in, see a bigger phone with 4G LTE and this hurts iphone sales, like it or not.

And then they get home, realize LTE won't be rolled out to even within 50 miles of where they live until 2014, actually start using Android, and beat themselves for their stupid purchase.

And how does it hurt Apple's sales when Apple STILL sells more iPhones than any other model of anything from anyone else? The larger screened LTE phones sold less than the iPhone 3GS, for heaven's sake.
  • Reply 63 of 135
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Has an AAPL stock owner I care a lot.

Samsung did sold MORE smarthphones than Apple in Q3. And they are not dumping them at cost, they are making big $$ on them. Maybe they copied Apple design, but it sure is working for them.

Samsung doesn't earn Apple-style margins, however. They aren't at razor-thin Motorola margins, either, but Apple still commands a premium.

It remains to be seen how well the Galaxy Tab actually sells in Australia. It hasn't really caught on here in the US. All the non-iPad attention is on the Kindle Fire.
  • Reply 64 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And then they get home, realize LTE won't be rolled out to even within 50 miles of where they live until 2014, actually start using Android, and beat themselves for their stupid purchase.

And how does it hurt Apple's sales when Apple STILL sells more iPhones than any other model of anything from anyone else? The larger screened LTE phones sold less than the iPhone 3GS, for heaven's sake.

Hey... do you really think that anyone who buys an Android phone will be able to figure out that they are not getting LTE.

j/k
  • Reply 65 of 135
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member
    Quote:

The larger screened LTE phones sold less than the iPhone 3GS, for heaven's sake.

The total of all of them or each specific model? I'm assuming you meant no single specific model outsold the 3GS and just worded it awkwardly.
  • Reply 66 of 135
    Quote:

Because it's from October, the month ending the quarter where millions of people were waiting for the 5th-gen iPhone that they all supposed would be released in July.

Yes.

I highly doubt he's an "investor".

Anyhow, I can't wait to see the 4th quarter results.
  • Reply 67 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The total of all of them or each specific model?

I think those numbers were by model.

The iPhone 4 was on top, then the 3GS, then the rest of the smartphone market.
  • Reply 68 of 135
    Quote:

Has an AAPL stock owner I care a lot.

Samsung did sold MORE smarthphones than Apple in Q3. And they are not dumping them at cost, they are making big $$ on them. Maybe they copied Apple design, but it sure is working for them.

depends how you define "big $$". To a child, $1000 is "big" money. According to all sources, Apple makes the lion share of profits in the phone market. Selling a million phones at a $2 USD profit each does not a lion share when Apple is making several orders of magnitude more per phone.

Samesung is everywhere, that is how they try to profit, providing cloner, non-innovative products at volume in all sorts of markets. they do not innovate or have any differentiating features.
  • Reply 69 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scalpernt View Post

Someone please explain why we should not be worried about this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79R0B620111028

As an investor I read this and thought: "Crap, someone has figured out how to compete with Apple on the Android platform." Am I wrong?

Don't believe all you read about Samsung, they're the masters of false advertising.
  • Reply 70 of 135
    You may want to be more careful with the crowd on these forums. On the one hand, you say this:

Quote:

And they are coming in with full HD resolution now, beating the iphone retina display in terms of pixel density.

But then follow it with this contradicting assertion:

Quote:

Samsung Nexus screen : 1280x720 on a 4.6" screen. 316ppi

Iphone 4S screen : 960x640 on a 3.5" screen. 330ppi

Prof. Peabody's statement grossly abused the phrase "by far":

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

the display is actually a lower resolution than the iPhone by far.

However it's still accurate (albeit subjectively exaggerated - some call that "marketing" ), whereas your statement is not. The pixel density of the display you mention, and link specifications for, is not greater than the mentioned iPhone's.

It would have been more precise to say the iPhone's display pixel density was ~9.5% greater, but it was still accurate in terms of it's factual information.
  • Reply 71 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You have to give Samsung credit...they are really "all in" with this.

I agree. But I wonder how/if Apple will respond to this very personal and aggressive campaign. During the Jobs era you could count on Apple to be very smart about this--doing something very clever and unexpected. This might be a good touchstone to see if any of Jobs' legendary Zen-like mojo has metastasized into the corpus Apple.
  • Reply 72 of 135
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

depends how you define "big $$". To a child, $1000 is "big" money. According to all sources, Apple makes the lion share of profits in the phone market. Selling a million phones at a $2 USD profit each does not a lion share when Apple is making several orders of magnitude more per phone.

Samesung is everywhere, that is how they try to profit, providing cloner, non-innovative products at volume in all sorts of markets. they do not innovate or have any differentiating features.

From a link a few posts up, Samsung's latest quarterly profits from their telecoms division, "more than doubled from a year ago to a record 2.5 trillion won ($2.2 billion) and accounted for 60 percent of Samsung's total profit, offsetting a plunge in earnings from its bread-and-butter memory chips".

I think their phone sales could be considered successful. Certainly no Apple, but still fairly impressive considering they just entered the smartphone market little more than a year ago.

"Shipments of smartphones jumped 44 percent from the preceding quarter to 27.8 million units, up nearly four times from a year ago, according to research firm Strategy Analytics."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79R0B620111028
  • Reply 73 of 135
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't think that marketshare is everything. Apple is never going to have a greater marketshare than Android now, when it comes to phones, as a fine steakhouse is never going to sell more hamburgers than a McDonald's does. And that's ok.

More like the Camry sells more than a Ferrari, and a Camry sells more than an econobox, but Android powers both Ferraris and econoboxes, which together sell more than Apple's Camry.

Using your logic, one could claim the AppStore to be McDonalds.
  • Reply 74 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In related news Jeffery Dahmer makes name for himself by stealing the lives of 17 men and boys. Sure, you can get known, but I doubt the old adage of "Any publicity is good publicity" doesn't hold true when trying to sell a product. That said, if they turn a profit stealing from their betters then so be it. That's the way the game works.

There is a huge difference between Samsung and a sicko serial killer.

Starting with the fact that Samsung was the victim of a big brute trying to kill THEM, and not the other way around.
  • Reply 75 of 135
    Quote:

That episode came out a few weeks after I made this:

COINCIDENCE?!

• Reply 76 of 135
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    "Tablet Apple tried to stop" - not because it was better but because it was a patent violation. But you won't see that second part in their ad.
  • Reply 77 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

They haven't lost their edge in hardware. Apple isn't a spec chaser. Apple decided that what they have at present is good enough and, so far, they have been proven more than correct.

When Apple decides to release something different then they will.

It aint about losing one's edge. It's a matter of choice.

So long as Apple can maximize profits, they are doing the right thing. Apple does not believe that making SOTA hardware is the best path to maximum profits.
  • Reply 78 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

Don't believe all you read about Samsung, they're the masters of false advertising.

I don't know about false advertising, but I do know that they provide zero/zip/zilcho audited information on their handset sales.

Other than it all being "smooth," of course......
  • Reply 79 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I disagree. No one knows about the Galaxy Tab outside of the tech world. The two devices that stand out are the iPad and the Kindle Fire.

You may be correct. But Samsung is aiming to change that with this ad campaign.
  • Reply 80 of 135
    Quote:

Samsung Nexus screen : 1280x720 on a 4.6" screen. 316ppi

Iphone 4S screen : 960x640 on a 3.5" screen. 330ppi

I am sorry but the samsung display is NOT of a lower resolution than the iphone "by far", they both have over 300ppi

And WTF are you to tell me to stop posting....

Both phones have there ups and downs, but people walk in, see a bigger phone with 4G LTE and this hurts iphone sales, like it or not.

The Galaxy Nexus is awesome. The Galsxy SII is also nothing short of excellent.