Apple looking to expand iCloud with new applications

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Though Apple just launched its new iCloud service, the company is already looking to improve the suite with new applications for the iPhone and iPad.

Apple's interest in further enhancing iCloud was revealed this week in a new job application published by the company and discovered by AppleInsider. The company is looking to hire someone for the position of iCloud Application Developer at its corporate headquarters in Cupertino, Calif.

"The iCloud team is looking for a proactive, creative-minded (engineer) to build the next generation of cocoa-based client applications that integrate tightly with a set of cloud based services," the listing reads.

The position requires someone who will develop both new and existing iPhone and iPad applications for iCloud services. Though it offers no indication of what those applications might be, it notes that employees will "build products that people want to use every day."

Apple's requirements for the position include a bachelor of science in computer science with 5 or more years of experience. The applicant must also have strong object-oriented programming and design skills, as well as experience with Cocoa and the iPhone software development kit.

One anticipated addition that could be folded in to Apple's iCloud suite could be a proprietary mapping service from Apple. Numerous job listings discovered by AppleInsider have suggested that Apple is building its own mapping and location services for iOS, which it hopes will "radically improve" on the current offerings.

The iCloud umbrella of services launched in October, replacing Apple's previous cloud-based option, MobileMe. It includes former MobileMe services like Find My iPhone, Mail and Contacts, as well as Documents in the Cloud, iTunes in the Cloud and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    Beyond syncing and storage, what else there might be that's useful in the cloud? That's their job description. To find out and design such application that we would use every day. Looking forward for new ideas.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    iCloud.com offers very few features, and the email is excruciatingly slow, ugh!

We do not NEED more apps that rely on iCloud, but we do need better iCloud performance and more features, like being able to post pictures, flickr, and store files like Dropbox.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    They need to make iWork documents on the Mac work seamlessly with iCloud.

This whole workaround of downloading and uploading to iCloud.com is a kludgy disaster!
  • Reply 4 of 58
    Why does the first line cite the iPhone and iPad? There's no mention of iOS in the job details they posted but it does mention Cocoa. Doesn't that suggest they're looking for someone to help tie iCloud support into Mac apps (something sorely lacking in the current implementation of iWork)? Some interface has to be set up to bridge the divide between the filesystem-based Mac and filesystem-loathing iOS.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

We do not NEED more apps that rely on iCloud, but we do need better iCloud performance and more features, like being able to post pictures, flickr, and store files like Dropbox.

And maybe that is what this new job is all about.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    An upgraded replacement for the obsolescing iWeb software would seem to be a natural. Cloud-based?
  • Reply 7 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post

An upgraded replacement for the obsolescing iWeb software would seem to be a natural. Cloud-based?

That and a proper iDisk replacement.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    For one, they could get the Gallery back. That was previously unmatched anywhere on the net. To be honest, they could just junk iCloud since it doesn't do what it's supposed to and reinstate Mobile Me which did. Why they junked it I don't know - it worked fine for me. Emails, Gallery sync, iDisk were all brill.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

…they could just junk iCloud since it doesn't do what it's supposed to…

This ought to be good… Explain.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Siris based, turn by turn mapping for iOS and a full 3D mapping for OS X and IOS in 2012 ... Pretty Please
  • Reply 11 of 58
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    It would be nice if they opened the API to third party developers. It's lame having to go into iTunes just to transfer files to and from my iPad.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

For one, they could get the Gallery back. That was previously unmatched anywhere on the net. To be honest, they could just junk iCloud since it doesn't do what it's supposed to and reinstate Mobile Me which did. Why they junked it I don't know - it worked fine for me. Emails, Gallery sync, iDisk were all brill.

Happy to say I have both, Mobile Me ( for now anyway) and iCloud and the latter is 'brill' too ... I would love to see the Gallery function extended in Mobile after it ends or migrated to iCloud.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

They need to make iWork documents on the Mac work seamlessly with iCloud.

This whole workaround of downloading and uploading to iCloud.com is a kludgy disaster!

I couldn't agree more!! Having to upload and download etc is very un-like Apple, more

Microsfitish.,,
  • Reply 14 of 58
    Photo Stream was a good first step toward cloud-syncing photo libraries, but Photos/iPhoto still needs work. Photo Stream is more of a push mechanism for getting photos to iPhoto, and it needs to be more of a cloud-based app where you can edit photos, group photos into folders, email photos, etc., without iPhoto being the mother ship.

Music/iTunes also need a few iCloud tweaks. If you add songs to a playlist or rearrange the order of songs in a playlist, iCloud should populate those changes to your other devices. Wifi Sync is better than hard-syncing the devices to your computer, but iCloud should make even Wifi Sync unnecessary.

Downcast's new iCloud features are pretty great -- syncing podcast episodes, play positions, etc., over iCloud.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though Apple just launched its new iCloud service, the company is already looking to improve the suite with new applications for the iPhone and iPad....

They might want to focus on making iCloud work properly for stuff like Mail first.

At this point it's degenerated to being pretty much the worst webmail client I've ever used.

Also, Pages for iOS crashes and burns trying to connect to iCloud all the time.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Siris based, turn by turn mapping for iOS and a full 3D mapping for OS X and IOS in 2012 ... Pretty Please

And this has what to do with iCloud exactly?
  • Reply 17 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

And this has what to do with iCloud exactly?

Ariel view of course.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    A stronger mapping App would be great. I personally hope Apple partners with someone to come up with a comprehensive, integrated fitness application that incorporates training of various kinds, nutrition, and other health tips. There really is nothing like that currently and I think it would be a HUGE market. One problem with existing apps is that doing data entry/viewing stats on an iPhone gets tiring fast. If they could allow users to view the whole app via iCloud, and create an intuitive interface for the Nano (rather than iPhone/touch--which are big and bulky for gym/running/biking)--I seriously think Apple could start/own the fitness market--which is big and getting bigger.

BTW--I use ActivTrax through iOS Safari. It is good, but hasn't really touched what is possible.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    I agree. Gallery and iDisk are a must have for the iCloud!
  • Reply 20 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I agree. Apple should buy DropBox immediately.