Apple viewed as unlikely to launch 7-inch iPad in 2012

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

My personal opinion is that Steve Jobs was right all along.

Steve Jobs had a long history of making statements only to release a product not long thereafter that was in direct contradiction to said statement. The fact that this guy is using that quote as one reason Apple won't release a 7" tablet in 2012 proves he is an idiot.

From what I have seen of Android 7" tablets (different aspect ratio), they are at the edge of the size that I could comfortably carry around all the time. If a 7" iPad existed, I would be tempted to dump my iPhone for a basic, non-smart phone, and just carry a 7" 3G iPad where ever I go.

In other words, I think a 6"-7" iPad is just as much of a threat to iPhone sales as it is iPad sales. Of course, the smart money says, if you have to loose sales of one product, it would be better to loose them to another one of your products rather than a competitor's product.

Personally, I have no idea if a 7" iPad will ship in 2012. I hope it does but I am not holding my breath.

-kpluck
  • Reply 42 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Without going all thru this again (for the third time), a Nook Color fits in the back pocket of a pair of 34" waist Levi Jeans fine, some pairs more snugly than others even in the same brand and style. I imagine 36" waist and up have room to spare.

The purse comment is very appropriate as women reportedly prefer the smaller 7" devices over the larger iPad's.

It will fit in a back pocket... but how much of it sticks out? And you have to take it out of your pocket to sit down, right?

A smart phone disappears in a pocket no problem. I'd imagine people carry a smart phone 100% of the time. My question is... how often would you carry a 7" tablet?

So often that you need hands-free carrying of a 7" tablet and a 4" phone?

The positive of a 7" tablet is the ability to carry it in a back pocket... while the negative is that it has half the screen real estate of 10" tablets.

And you've already got a small screen on a phone.
  • Reply 43 of 93
    Quote:

Without going all thru this again (for the third time), a Nook Color fits in the back pocket of a pair of 34" waist Levi Jeans fine, some pairs more snugly than others even in the same brand and style. I imagine 36" waist and up have room to spare.

A nook color is 5.0" x 8.1".

An iPad mini with a proportionally sized bezel would be around 6" x 8"... I think that extra inch of width would bump up the minimum waist size considerably.
  • Reply 44 of 93
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

The purse comment is very appropriate as women reportedly prefer the smaller 7" devices over the larger iPad's.

Sorry, I have a 34" waist, and there is no way in hell that a Fire would fit in my back pocket.

As far as purses go, like I said, an iPad can easily fit in a Birkin or a Valentino 360.
  • Reply 45 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Sorry, I have a 34" waist, and there is no way in hell that a Fire would fit in my back pocket.

As far as purses go, like I said, an iPad can easily fit in a Birkin or a Valentino 360.

I don't know if a Fire would fit either and I've not even discussed one. I can categorically state as a FACT that the Nook color will fit the back-pocket of 34" waist Levi's. 36" and up shouldn't even be questionable, and we're not talking cargo pants.

It's a dumb thing to argue about if you've never tried it.
  • Reply 46 of 93
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Jobs' point was that shrinking a tablet OS down to 7" size was unworkable practically (the "sandpaper fingers" issue). the home screen setup and button sizes can be adjusted to avoid cramming, but there is no way to present web pages and their embedded links at a readable size without constant zooming and fiddling, like you have to do with a smaller smartphone. all studies show web browsing is the #1 activity on tablets. a 10" screen works really good for readability, and the iPad's 4:3 screen is also noticeably better for webpage display than Android's 16:10 screen. i'd say the iPad is designed to optimize web browsing, and that was the fundamentally right choice.

but this doesn't rule out an Apple mid-sized tablet. instead of a shrunken iPad, it would be an enlarged iPod touch. the touch is ALREADY Apple's "mini-tablet." always was, the name was just a marketing tactic. altho it is true that it is designed to optimize media, games, and social activity, not browsing. (btw, its 3:2 screen aspect is almost the same as Android's 16:10 screen, which was optimized for media.)

a larger iPod touch in the 5"-6" range would be much more portable than 7" tablets - still pocket-sized - and still run iPhone apps. (the screen resolution pixel count would need to be double the current one). it could be priced at just $100 more than the current touch - so starting at $299. it would be a killer product, and so that's my prediction for 2012.

the 7" tablets are optimal for only one popular use: e-reading, thanks to being lightweight and about the same size as a paperback book. that's the Kindle/Nook niche market. all the other brands' 7 inchers are gonna flop.
  • Reply 47 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

It will fit in a back pocket... but how much of it sticks out? And you have to take it out of your pocket to sit down, right?

A smart phone disappears in a pocket no problem. I'd imagine people carry a smart phone 100% of the time. My question is... how often would you carry a 7" tablet?

So often that you need hands-free carrying of a 7" tablet and a 4" phone?

The positive of a 7" tablet is the ability to carry it in a back pocket... while the negative is that it has half the screen real estate of 10" tablets.

And you've already got a small screen on a phone.

A 7" iPad would really negate the need for an iPhone altogether for a lot of buyers. A plain ol' dumbphone would work great, with the bonus that there are some that are better phones than most smartphones.
  • Reply 48 of 93
    Apple releases a 7 inch iPad in 2012.

Seconds after introduction there are 237 comments on AI saying, "I told you so!".

Should be interesting...
  • Reply 49 of 93
    I really think the driving reason behind the kindle fire is the price point, not the form factor. You don't have tons of people not buying the iPad because it's too big.

If apple is able to compete on price, that is the only answer they would need to the fire

As if one was needed at all
  • Reply 50 of 93
    Quote:

A 7" iPad would really negate the need for an iPhone altogether for a lot of buyers. A plain ol' dumbphone would work great, with the bonus that there are some that are better phones than most smartphones.

That doesn't really help either.

Even if a 7" tablet will fit in a back pocket.... it's still rather clunky to carry with you all the time. Especially if you must carry an additional cell phone.

Pocket-sized smart phones already handle phone calls and internet/apps/games... in one device.

A flip-phone and a 7" tablet is silly... a 4" smart phone and a 7" tablet is ridiculous considering the overlap of features. Why not split the difference and get a 5.3" phone?

My point is... the pocketability of 7" tablets can't be a highly regarded feature. I don't think too many people are buying 7" tablets because they must carry them in their pocket at all times.

And not many people want to carry two devices... especially if one of them is a 7" tablet.
  • Reply 51 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

I really think the driving reason behind the kindle fire is the price point, not the form factor. You don't have tons of people not buying the iPad because it's too big.

If apple is able to compete on price, that is the only answer they would need to the fire

As if one was needed at all

Not true according to various studies. I've linked one here:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/08...re-from-venus/

Women generally prefer the smaller forms, and don't look at them as a jack-of-all-trades. They like to read their books and magazines, do some light web-browsing, on-line shopping, check their email. Those are all activities that a 7-8" display with a lighter weight will handle well. Easier and lighter to carry around too. Throwing another $300 or more at it on an iPad won't really make those activities that much better IMHO. Men look at it differently than women.
  • Reply 52 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevt View Post

If Apple stuck with the same 1024x768 for a 7.85" tablet, they'd get significant increase in pixel density - a better quality image because of the reduction in size. And then doubled resolution for a 10" retina tablet (as rumoured) it would be simple to develop for, and in smooth in transition as the iPhone 4 was. Pixels are just doubled until the higher res is exploited in updates.

Bingo! Give that man the prize!
  • Reply 53 of 93
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

I can technically carry an iPad down the front of my pants but that doesn't intrinsically make it something I want to do.

No, an 8" iPad would not fit in your back pocket.

No, people will not be replacing their cellphones with tablets.
  • Reply 54 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can technically carry an iPad down the front of my pants but that doesn't intrinsically make it something I want to do.

No, an 8" iPad would not fit in your back pocket.

No, people will not be replacing their cellphones with tablets.

I'm not arguing that an 8" tablet would fit a back pocket. I haven't even mentioned one. Personally I don't see any advantage at all to an 8" tablet. It's not really any more portable than the current iPad and I can't think of any particualr reason to choose that size as an add-on to the current line. On the other hand a 6-7" iPad has market potential.

I do think that some people will replace their smartphones with a small tablet if/when the form gets improved. A 3.5" web-enabled device really isn't a joy to use. After a couple of years a portable tablet looks pretty attractive if you just gotta be connected while on the go, at least in my opinion. Apple will eventually put something out to cover that mid-size portability.

When you take your iPad along with you, do you use your phone for anything other than texts or phone calls? I would imagine not. A smaller tablet would make it even more likely that your tablet leaves the house with you, with your iPhone becoming the equivalent of a mid-grade dumbphone, used only for phone calls.
  • Reply 55 of 93
    Quote:

Not true according to various studies. I've linked one here:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/08...re-from-venus/

Women generally prefer the smaller forms, and don't look at them as a jack-of-all-trades. They like to read their books and magazines, do some light web-browsing, on-line shopping, check their email. Those are all activities that a 7-8" display with a lighter weight will handle well. Easier and lighter to carry around too. Throwing another $300 or more at it on an iPad won't really make those activities that much better IMHO. Men look at it differently than women.

Feel free to question it, but I wouldn't be so quick to declare it not true.

1) that study compares market share. It does not measure preference. Just because more women own ereaders than men doesn't mean that women prefer e readers to tablets.

2) percentage of tablets owned by men has dropped in the past year according to the article. I assume the rest of the share was made up for by women.

A more accurate study would be to survey fire owners and rate their motivations for buying. I think the price point pushed more people off the ledge than the form factor.

That being said, yes women may prefer a smaller size. I just don't think that's the driving force behind kindle fire sales.
  • Reply 56 of 93
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

I'm not arguing that an 8" tablet would fit a back pocket. I haven't even mentioned one. I do think that some people will replace their smartphones with a small tablet if/when the form gets improved. A 3.5" web-enabled device really isn't a joy to use. After a couple of years a portable tablet looks pretty attractive if you just gotta be connected while on the go, at least in my opinion.

When you take your iPad along with you, do you use your phone for anything other than texts or phone calls? I would imagine not. A smaller tablet would make it even more likely that your tablet leaves the house with you, with your iPhone becoming the equivalent of a mid-grade dumbphone, used only for phone calls.

1) There is a reason wallets and their content are more commonly the form factor and size of a pocketable device that can be used with one hand while walking than something that would be uncomfortable if forced into a pocket and couldn't be used with one hand. Personally, I use a very money clip with a holder for my cards because I like the minimalist design.

2) We're talkng about a 7.85" iPad here. That's 8"! I've already mentioned how much much wider it would be than the Nook do to the aspect ratio. If we're talking about a tablet fitting we should be talking about how an Apple tablet would fit comfortably or at all.
  • Reply 57 of 93
    Quote:

I'm not arguing that an 8" tablet would fit a back pocket. I haven't even mentioned one. I do think that some people will replace their smartphones with a small tablet if/when the form gets improved. A 3.5" web-enabled device really isn't a joy to use. After a couple of years a portable tablet looks pretty attractive if you just gotta be connected while on the go, at least in my opinion.

I agree, I think there will be some people who would choose to forgo smartphones if they had such a tablet.

I almost did that myself. But the iPhones camera made it too valuable (not going to carry around a camera and feature phone. )

And I can get far more done with texting/email on the road with my iPhone. And Siri helps me do it more since I don't worry about texting and driving.

For the majority of people, no size of tablet can replace a smartphone
  • Reply 58 of 93
    Quote:

We're talkng about a 7.85" iPad here. That's 8"! I've already mentioned how much much wider it would be than the Nook do to the aspect ratio. If we're talking about a tablet fitting we should be talking about how an Apple tablet would fit comfortably or at all.

No we're talking about a vaporware device, with this particular rumor saying it might be close to 8". Other rumors have suggested closer to 7" if Apple were to offer it. My personal preference would be a 6-7" form if Apple were to build one.

I didn't enter the conversation until the claim was made that a 7" display wouldn't fit in a pocket. It does.
  • Reply 59 of 93
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm not really concerned with the size aspect of the iPad. 7" Tablets aren't too bad considering many of us are using 3.5" Touch Screens.

What I want to see is a tablet from Apple that is roughly 350 dollars. I wouldn't care if that meant 8GB of NAND storage.

To me iCloud is the conduit that makes the proliferation of mobile devices tenable because it neatly keeps the data in sync across the devices.

Apple has just as much incentive to increase the amount of users on their online stores as Amazon does.
  • Reply 60 of 93
    Quote:

1) There is a reason wallets and their content are more commonly the form factor and size of a pocketable device that can be used with one hand while walking than something that would be uncomfortable if forced into a pocket and couldn't be used with one hand. Personally, I use a very money clip with a holder for my cards because I like the minimalist design.

The new Samsung "tablet" with a flexible display that probably gets released by mid-year 2012 might be just the solution then.