Rumor: Apple wants to launch 'iPad 3' on Feb. 24 birthday of Steve Jobs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Because if the release is too early in the year people might be inclined not to buy iPad's in the run up to Christmas believing a newer version is only weeks away. Wives will find something else to buy the husband and he'll have to argue a case for splashing the cash 8 weeks in to the new year .

Look at the calendar. It's Christmas Eve, at least where I am. Do you seriously think this rumour is going to travel back in time and prevent people shopping for an iPad for Christmas? It's too late and its a rumour anyway.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Really? Are you that thick?
  • Reply 23 of 60
    jccjcc Posts: 327member
    There's no way in hell that would happen. The best Apple can do by that date is perhaps ANNOUNCE an iPad 3 and release it sometime later.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

We can still call it OLPC but it can stand for One Lock-in Per Child as I'm sure that's how any low cost tablet from Apple to help children in developing nations would be seen as.

I do seem recall that Apple/Jobs offered to allow OLPC to use Mac OS on their laptop but they declined.

...something about a gift hourse...

I was careful to avoid the use of developing nations, third-world, etc...

Sigh, Detroit is a needy community -- as are parts of Chicago...

I think that the "lock-in" issue can be addressed.

I learned coordination (pretty much) by riding on a tricycle...

I learned to program maimframe computers using Binary, Octal-Absolute, Assembly, CoBOL, RPG...

I learned to program a mico-computer with Assembly, BASIC, then UCSD Pascal...

I do not use any of these anymore -- have not in the last 20 years... ...well maybe the tricycle

But they each contributed to my knowledge and provided me with opportunities which enriched my life.

I think you are correct about the SJ offer to Negroponte...

...I imagine that discussion took place in what felt like a very small room...

But things change.

Apple delivers to individuals more iPads per month than OLPC delivered in 4 years total...

One Laptop per Child

One of the primary OLPC educational/programming environments is Etoys:

Etoys (programming language)

Here is it running on the iPad:

Squeak Etoys on iPad

And if you are interested, you can install it on your iPad:

Squek Etoys iPad

• Reply 25 of 60
    Bring it on, i'm just waiting for the next version to come out to buy one.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Wouldn't they have to start building them, oh I don't know.... NOW??

They can barely keep up with iPad 2 production. I can't see how 9" Retina Displays are going to be plentiful enough for such a quick launch.

It makes no sense. This rumors falls under "wishful thinking".
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What I'd rather see is for Apple to introduce a special iPad program to deliver on the promise of OTPC (One Tablet Per Child).

...where opportunity and infrastructure could be provided to qualified, needy individuals and communities in developing cities and countries.

This could truly honor Steve and his wish to "change the world".

There are a lot of challenges to do this well -- but Apple can do this sort of thing better than anyone...

Here... I'll start the ante with:

The one iPad per Child program -- buy one at full price and Apple (and participating Countries/Communities) will give one for [well-managed] distribution in to a qualified user.

Now, that's what I'd call a worthwhile program for the post-pc era!

Where can I sign up -- Who's with me?

I'd love to track the demographics, activations and accomplishments of a program like this!

It's always fun to spend other people's money!
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

Sure, rush a new iPad to market before its ready, which Steve Jobs trained Apple to NEVER do. And make it off-sized, like 7 inches, which Jobs said would fail. Oh, and then release it on his birthday. Kinda like serving a pork roast on Moses' birthday...

How do you know it isn't ready? Or that it hasn't been ready for six months?
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Tired a$$ rumor.

How much you want to bet Apple pays this site to pump this trite up people's rear end.

I am so effing tired reading about another goddamn iPad.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:

Lovely idea but I heard there's some sort of global financial crisis going on.

Mmm... Last I heard, $500 Tablets and $650 Smart Phones were selling pretty well in most places.

And there are ways (there always are ways) that financially stressed entities can improve their situation.

For example, Brazil is negotiating rights to manufacture iPads (This currently appears to be stalled).

As I understand it, Brazil has very high import tariffs on the iPad -- that result in very few sales and users in the country.

If a mutually-benificial deal could be resolved, then Brazil, its economy and citizens could be better off -- more/better jobs and the infrastructure required to sell, service and support the "Brazil" iPad industry.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    I know how the solstice and moon cycles are used to calculate a blue moon and the date of Easter, but what is the new year moon? I can guess, but I'm interested to hear it so prominently referenced.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Mmm... Last I heard, $500 Tablets and $650 Smart Phones were selling pretty well in most places.

That adds a lot of perspective. We have a 10" device that sells for $500 ($630 if you add 3G) and 3.5" device ? 1/8th the display area ? that sells for $650.

I don't see how Apple can get a device halfway between the two that is also half the price. The iPod Touch uses many low-grade parts compared to the iPhone so I can see how a $300 5-7" iPod Touch could happen, but not something that is iPad or iPhone grade.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:

Lovely idea but I heard there's some sort of global financial crisis going on.

Except for the fact that Apple has posted record revenue and record sales every single quarter since that started, your point is pretty good. But as it stands?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

How much you want to bet Apple pays this site to pump this trite up people's rear end.

I'll bet $400,000. Will you be paying me in cash or check?

Quote:

I am so effing tired reading about another goddamn iPad.

So stop reading the site or the stories. You should be complaining about analysts spewing nonsense instead of it being reported.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Interdyne View Post

Moving the date up would eat into Holiday sales as customer wait for the new model. If they released a new model in February, December's sales would be strongly hurt by customers waiting for the next iPad.

:

No they won't. Most people have no idea what the life cycle of an Apple product is. When I had my iPad 1, I sold it 4 weeks before the iPad 2 came out, and recovered 85% of my purchase price. I plan to do the same with my iPad 2.

Besides that, you think people are going to wait on purchasing a Christmas gift until the end of February. Not a chance.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    The sooner the better can't wait to get mines launch day
  • Reply 36 of 60
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

There's no track record of Apple being so sentimental. That said, the date's in the right ball park for a launch.

But imagine the extra free editorial marketing this 'sentimental' gesture might produce. Every newspaper, magazine and blog will run this story and coming on the back of SJ biography which has opened Apple and SJ to a whole new audience this may not be an entirely sentimental move. I would call it a strategic move which has a certain emotional resonance.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post

It's always fun to spend other people's money!

Not necessarily...

What I am proposing is a means for individuals to buy an iPad for themselves and at the same time cause an iPad to be given to a needy individual.

It looks like I am suggesting that Apple do all the giving... but I am not!

Some people could be persuaded to buy an iPad (their first or another) because of a program like this.

OLPC had a "Give 1 Get 1" program:

OLPC Give 1 Get 1 Program: XO-1 Laptop USA Sales!!!

I considered buying one (for quite a while)... but abandoned the idea as I thought the laptop solution and the utility of the device/software for more mainstream uses was locked out (Linux is not a popular desktop OS). So, I felt that it was a good idea that led to a dead-end.

Now, the iPad offers a whole 'nother set of opportunities! It is a mainstream device with an established world-wide appeal and install base. It has an ecosystem of content and apps addressing everything from entertainment, education, business, healthcare...

The iPad is the hottest game in town!

It offers app/content development opportunities at a very low entry point* upon which, those interested, can gain entry to the rewards of self-sufficiency.

For example, if Apple were to highlight these apps/content on the Apple Stores, many (including myself) would likely buy them to support their developers' efforts.

* IMO, what is really needed is a way to develop apps for the iPad, on the iPad. I believe we are getting close to this capability.

Edit: I just found this on Asymco:

The following map shows the countries where iTunes Apps are available.

...Really disappointed in Greenland

Where iTunes Apps are available

/sermon

• Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But imagine the extra free editorial marketing this 'sentimental' gesture might produce. Every newspaper, magazine and blog will run this story and coming on the back of SJ biography which has opened Apple and SJ to a whole new audience this may not be an entirely sentimental move. I would call it a strategic move which has a certain emotional resonance.

Ha!

I can see it all now:

Time Magazine names the iPad SJ as "Man Of The Year".
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:

Not necessarily...

What I am proposing is a means for individuals to buy an iPad for themselves and at the same time cause an iPad to be given to a needy individual.

It looks like I am suggesting that Apple do all the giving... but I am not!

Some people could be persuaded to buy an iPad (their first or another) because of a program like this.

OLPC had a "Give 1 Get 1" program:

OLPC Give 1 Get 1 Program: XO-1 Laptop USA Sales!!!

I considered buying one (for quite a while)... but abandoned the idea as I thought the laptop solution and the utility of the device/software for more mainstream uses was locked out (Linux is not a popular desktop OS). So, I felt that it was a good idea that led to a dead-end.

Now, the iPad offers a whole 'nother set of opportunities! It is a mainstream device with an established world-wide appeal and install base. It has an ecosystem of content and apps addressing everything from entertainment, education, business, healthcare...

The iPad is the hottest game in town!

It offers app/content development opportunities at a very low entry point* upon which, those interested, can gain entry to the rewards of self-sufficiency.

For example, if Apple were to highlight these apps/content on the Apple Stores, many (including myself) would likely buy them to support their developers' efforts.

* IMO, what is really needed is a way to develop apps for the iPad, on the iPad. I believe we are getting close to this capability.

/sermon

I like your energy... and your "sermon"... and yes I'm still waiting for your "book" announcement

As for creating apps, Macworld reviewed Codify not long ago. It's getting there faster than you think.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

/sermon

Greenland really sucks for that anyway. Only 5% is habitable and it has a population of 56k making it one of the least densely populated countries. Who here even knew the capital is Godthåb( Nuuk)/ Grønland (Danish)/ Kalaallit Nunaat (Inuit)? I surely didn't ever know or forgot.