iOS dominates mobile shopping with 92% of market

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ohhh... I like the way you think....

I wonder who will play Siri in the movie...

Probably Jessica Rose.
  • Reply 42 of 93
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and win Time Magazine's Person of the Year in 2013.

Though Time has a history of not giving it to Apple but going to a broader scoop for the tech they popularize.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Really, though, how many people had even heard of Siri? I mean, normal people, not us.

Excellent point but is that common for Apple when they acquire a company?

Quote:

Ohhh... I like the way you think....

I wonder who will play Siri in the movie...

Rooney Mara seems fitting.

It's funny (in a sad way) that Google would call it Majel. They seem to have no concept of originality or marketing outside appealing to some geeks that would know the name of the actress who was the voice of the computer on Star Trek. I'm a fan of the shows and I had no idea of the actress's name until I read in an article.
  • Reply 43 of 93
    Quote:

Yeah, it likely does...

But I maintain that Amazon could have attained increased sales/loyalty by other less-expensive, less-risky means.

As it is the KF has a direct negative effect on the Amazon bottom line... and puts them in direct competition with Tablet manufacturers and OS suppliers.

I believe that it will shake out as a big mistake -- and will contribute to a more realistic valuation of AMZN buy the investor/financial sector.

What if Apple didn't develop iBooks? What if they had struck a deal with Amazon to integrate the Kindle into iOS? Could have been some kind of win-win!

Of course, they would have had to haggle over music and videos.
  • Reply 44 of 93
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

Just wait until next year...

Siri 1.0 will be released...

...Siri will be available on the iPad...

...Siri will be able to buy things on your behalf!

I hope there is an option to tell her to say no
  • Reply 45 of 93
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Excellent point but is that common for Apple when they acquire a company?.

That's a good point.
  • Reply 46 of 93
    These numbers are just a temporary uptick for iOS. For now maybe iOS devices are leading. Android Tablet market will soon dominate the iPad and this current report will need a drastic update. It's early in the game but as I have stated before, iOS dominance will cease to exist early 2012.

"This trend, of course, can't continue. Amazon's Kindle Fire and the Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet should start grabbing some market share. But these latest numbers certainly underscore Apple's current dominance of mobile shopping."

http://www.itworld.com/mobile-wirele...obile-shopping
  • Reply 47 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

These numbers are just a temporary uptick for iOS. For now maybe iOS devices are leading. Android Tablet market will soon dominate the iPad and this current report will need a drastic update. It's early in the game but as I have stated before, iOS dominance will cease to exist early 2012.

"This trend, of course, can't continue. Amazon's Kindle Fire and the Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet should start grabbing some market share. But these latest numbers certainly underscore Apple's current dominance of mobile shopping."

are you a Poe?
  • Reply 48 of 93
    Quote:

Get a life.

By the end of 2012 all but two major players in the Android space will even be discussing tablets to compete with Apple.

They are already conceding the low end to Amazon.

Google is dancing around the simple fact that in order for Android to actually succeed they'll have to cannibalize says from Samsung and HTC by entering directly with hardware offerings in the tablet and phone business after the Moto unity is absorbed.
  • Reply 49 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icaras View Post

So where is slapppy with the usual "market share > profit" comedy?

Maybe he's busy slappping his monkey?
  • Reply 50 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If that's the main reason we should see Android drop off in the US over the next year now that they offer the 3GS free with contract on AT&T, and the $99 iPhone 4 on Sprint, Verizon, AT&T and some regional carriers.

That doesnt examine the whole picture, but it still remains true. The now 2 and 1/2 year old, 3GS phone is still "selling" in the millions.. the the tune of 2 million this holiday season!! Why? Because its FREE with a 2 year contract and consumers love anything with the word free in it (A 2 year contract is still a $2000 commitment to a telecom). That said the 3GS is simply too many generations behind, to steal much marketshare from the B1G1F & 99cent Android phones that are literally just a few months old. It would be a different story if the much updated iphone4 sold for 99cents. But phones like the Droid Rzar, just introduced the 2nd week of November and not even a month old.. is Motorola's flagship phone and was already been sold with promotional pricing of 0.01 cents and 0.11cents in the same month of November!! How hard is it gain marketshare, when you are giving your stuff away?

Amazon in fact.. made EVERY Android phone they sell, available for $0.01 cent (with a new 2 year contract) during a special Black Friday promotion.
  • Reply 51 of 93
    Quote:

Android tablet wont dominate the iPad, because tablets are not heavily subsidized like their cellphone counterparts. Unlike a smartphone that can be literally given away for free with a 2 year contract, tablets are generally sold wifi only, and with no contract.. leaving the consumer to pay the full retail price. So when the time comes to spend upwards of $500 on a tablet.. it takes a serious hardcore Android fan to choose Android over the iPad. The situation is even worse for those buying Tablets as gifts.. as the iPad name is recognized and Android tablets arent. Consumers dont understand why they should pay the same price for an Android Tablet.. when they can the Apple one (that mom was talking about) for the exact same price. Its the reason why every tablet (except the Transformer and G-Tab) has failed. And even those 2 devices come nowhere near the sales and popularity of the iPad. And thats without even considering the even bigger failures of tablets like the Playbook or Touchpad.

With no subsidization in the tablet arena.. Android is forced to compete purely on its specs, features, hardware design and available software. Price (giving them away for almost free) isnt an option in this market. And its too much of an uphill battle to beat Apple at that game. Even worse when overly aggressive Android manufacters kill each other, buy constantly announcing a new "faster, better, slimmer" tablet every month. Sure there are "cheap" $199 Android tablets which seem to be doing well (Nook & Fire) but in reality these are E-readers that are designed to also run tablet software. They do not give the true/full tablet experience. These items are new to the market and it remains to be seen exactly how successful they will be, as anything thats "cheap" is going to sell well initially.

But given the lesser experience they deliver. Its literally 2 different experiences.. with 2 entirely different target audiences. Their lack of a front facing camera for example, will turn away many buyers.. as video calling and video conferencing is a major reason to purchase a Tablet. Its the future of communication, atleast over wifi or 4G networks that can handle the bandwidth.
  • Reply 52 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Android tablet wont dominate the iPad, because tablets are not heavily subsidized like their cellphone counterparts. Unlike a smartphone that can be literally given away for free with a 2 year contract, tablets are generally sold wifi only, and with no contract.. leaving the consumer to pay the full retail price. So when the time comes to spend upwards of $500 on a tablet.. it takes a serious hardcore Android fan to choose Android over the iPad. The situation is even worse for those buying Tablets as gifts.. as the iPad name is recognized and Android tablets arent. Consumers dont understand why they should pay the same price for an Android Tablet.. when they can the Apple one (that mom was talking about) for the exact same price. Its the reason why every tablet (except the Transformer and G-Tab) has failed. And even those 2 devices come nowhere near the sales and popularity of the iPad. And thats without even considering the even bigger failures of tablets like the Playbook or Touchpad.

With no subsidization in the tablet arena.. Android is forced to compete purely on its specs, features, hardware design and available software. Price (giving them away for almost free) isnt an option in this market. And its too much of an uphill battle to beat Apple at that game. Even worse when overly aggressive Android manufacters kill each other, buy constantly announcing a new "faster, better, slimmer" tablet every month. Sure there are "cheap" $199 Android tablets which seem to be doing well (Nook & Fire) but in reality these are E-readers that are designed to also run tablet software. They do not give the true/full tablet experience. These items are new to the market and it remains to be seen exactly how successful they will be, as anything thats "cheap" is going to sell well initially.

But given the lesser experience they deliver. Its literally 2 different experiences.. with 2 entirely different target audiences. Their lack of a front facing camera for example, will turn away many buyers.. as video calling and video conferencing is a major reason to purchase a Tablet. Its the future of communication, atleast over wifi or 4G networks that can handle the bandwidth.

Well calling the Nook & Kindle Fire not a true tablet is selective perception. In the real world these two products are Tablets for all intents and purposes. People are being selective because of the runaway success of these two Tablets. It's a real viable threat to the iPad. When the numbers are published everyone will be shocked at how quickly it surpassed the iPad in sales.
  • Reply 53 of 93
    Quote:

Well calling the Nook & Kindle Fire not a true tablet is selective perception. In the real world these two products are Tablets for all intents and purposes. People are being selective because of the runaway success of these two Tablets. It's a real viable threat to the iPad. When the numbers are published everyone will be shocked at how quickly it surpassed the iPad in sales.

It doesn't matter. In December 2012, we'll all be dead anyway. :roll eyes:

Siri said so.
  • Reply 54 of 93
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    This is giperish:

Despite the proliferation of Android devices, users of devices running Apple's iOS dominated mobile online shopping in 2011, spending 19 percent more than those using Google's platform to end the year with a 92 percent share of the market.

should be something like:

Despite the proliferation of Android devices, users of devices running Apple's iOS dominated mobile online shopping in 2011, holding 92% of all mobile originated sales while at the same time spending 19% more on each transaction when compared to Google's Android platform.
  • Reply 55 of 93
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grblade View Post

We are the 92%.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It doesn't matter. In December 2012, we'll all be dead anyway. :roll eyes:

Siri said so.

I would think that Siri would say that those with Apple IDs will survive.

Myself, I'm afraid to ask her.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

. . . as video calling and video conferencing is a major reason to purchase a Tablet. Its the future of communication, atleast over wifi or 4G networks that can handle the bandwidth.

I am glad to see someone else gets this future wild card in the deck. And the rear camera will be even more important, I think. Add 3D, and the world will no longer need religion.
  • Reply 56 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Traveler1217 View Post

Maybe he's busy slappping his monkey?

Really? You joined JUST to make that comment? These forums are doomed.
  • Reply 57 of 93
    Is there a link to this study? Usually when someone posts news, they link the sources.

EDIT:

I found it:

http://www.richrelevance.com/blog/20...obile-matters/

Makes way more sense when the whole thing is read. Interesting read only issue I have with the numbers is that I do not consider my iPad as mobile. I do a ton of shopping on it but I do it sitting in my living room. When I think of mobile, I think of phones. I wonder what the numbers without tablets in them look like? If tablets on the go are considered mobile, would not a laptop be considered the same? The rabbit hole runs deep.

Here is an interesting quote from the article:

"Mobile online spending has been growing steadily over 2011, with sales from mobile devices doubling from 1.87 percent of total retail sales in April to to 3.74 percent in December. Retailer's websites also saw an increase of traffic from smartphones, which grew from under 9 percent to 18 percent."

So sales from "mobile" devices is 3.74% of total retail sales, of that only 18% of sales are from a mobile phone. Thats a crap load of Tablets, which we know Apple's iPad dominates the market. So based on this quote, the article should read iPad has 74% of the sales from mobile devices, considering iPad has 75% of the tablet market:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1080051.html

I almost have to say, no duh CPT obvious. iPad has 75% of tablet market and iPad has 74% of tablet mobile sales, who would of thunk.

With that said, I wonder what the numbers for mobile phones looks like?

I know there are a ton of smart folks on here so if my numbers or thinking is wrong please tell me. Fanboys need not apply, not interested in how awesome you are and how not awesome everyone else is.
  • Reply 58 of 93
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

"Mobile online spending has been growing steadily over 2011, with sales from mobile devices doubling from 1.87 percent of total retail sales in April to to 3.74 percent in December. Retailer's websites also saw an increase of traffic from smartphones, which grew from under 9 percent to 18 percent."

So sales from "mobile" devices is 3.74% of total retail sales, of that only 18% of sales are from a mobile phone. Thats a crap load of Tablets, which we know Apple's iPad dominates the market. So based on this quote, the article should read iPad has 74% of the sales from mobile devices, considering iPad has 75% of the tablet market:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1080051.html

I almost have to say, no duh CPT obvious. iPad has 75% of tablet market and iPad has 74% of tablet mobile sales, who would of thunk.

With that said, I wonder what the numbers for mobile phones looks like?

I know there are a ton of smart folks on here so if my numbers or thinking is wrong please tell me. Fanboys need not apply, not interested in how awesome you are and how not awesome everyone else is.

There is a subtlety in those data; traffic share to the retail sites (described in the article as "browsing the digital aisles") is not the same as sales share. Also, in the original article it states that the 18% share is for mobile devices, not just smartphones:

Quote:

RichRelevance also tracked a spectacular increase in mobile traffic as share of commerce page views with more than 15 percent of shopping sessions occurring on mobile devices. In April of 2011, just under 9 percent of all shoppers were browsing digital aisles via a mobile device. By December of 2011, the share has more than doubled, reaching 18 percent of all consumers.

So I could not find enough resolution in the data to distinguish how much of the spending is occurring on iPad v. iPhone, or even overall tablet v. smartphone.

The 92% share certainly could be just a reflection of the iPad dominance, if those devices represent most of the mobile shopping, but the data I've seen don't support (or contradict) that conclusion.
  • Reply 59 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

http://www.richrelevance.com/blog/20...obile-matters/

The actual quote is:

"Mobile Continues Strong 9-Month Growth: In the last nine months, the share of U.S. online retail dollars attributable to mobile devices has doubled from 1.87 percent in April of 2011 to 3.74 percent in December 2011. RichRelevance also tracked a spectacular increase in mobile traffic as share of commerce page views with more than 15 percent of shopping sessions occurring on mobile devices. In April of 2011, just under 9 percent of all shoppers were browsing digital aisles via a mobile device. By December of 2011, the share has more than doubled, reaching 18 percent of all consumers."

Your quote seems to be a paraphrase from panarmenian.net and they got it a bit off. Given richrelevance clearly sees the iPad as a mobile device, they do not break out phone VS tablet in this study as presented in this press release. They well might have a paid for version of the report that breaks it out, but given the very different meanings of the richrelevance press release and the panarmenian.net quote (that you have 100%), I suspect panarmenian.net simply mis-interpreted what was said.

What the above indicates is that 18% of all shoppers "window shop" using either a smart phone or a tablet and 15% of all online sessions originate on a phone/tablet device. So 18% of people shop using a smartphone/tablet. 15% of online shopping sessions originate on a phone/tablet (this means that desktop shopping is stickier). Sales from phones/tablets, however, still account for only 3.74% of online sales. Lots of people use the mobile phones/tablets to look for things but then use desktops for the actual purchase (or go to a brick and mortar store).

Given the RPITA actually using a smartphone/tablet is to make a purchase compared to the desktop, I understand this.

My take away from this is that shopping on a phone/tablets still sucks when compared to the desktop. Making it easier should be a primary goal of OS/Device makers. This is, I think, the motivation behind Google's digital wallet and Apple's push for in-app purchasing. Google is blocked by doing their standard proprietary implementation and going against what 90% of the industry is wanting to do. Apple is blocked by their stupid 30% cut for being a credit card transaction handler.
  • Reply 60 of 93
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

The actual quote is:

"Mobile Continues Strong 9-Month Growth: In the last nine months, the share of U.S. online retail dollars attributable to mobile devices has doubled from 1.87 percent in April of 2011 to 3.74 percent in December 2011. RichRelevance also tracked a spectacular increase in mobile traffic as share of commerce page views with more than 15 percent of shopping sessions occurring on mobile devices. In April of 2011, just under 9 percent of all shoppers were browsing digital aisles via a mobile device. By December of 2011, the share has more than doubled, reaching 18 percent of all consumers."

Your quote seems to be a paraphrase from panarmenian.net and they got it a bit off. Given richrelevance clearly sees the iPad as a mobile device, they do not break out phone VS tablet in this study as presented in this press release. They well might have a paid for version of the report that breaks it out, but given the very different meanings of the richrelevance press release and the panarmenian.net quote (that you have 100%), I suspect panarmenian.net simply mis-interpreted what was said.

What the above indicates is that 18% of all shoppers "window shop" using either a smart phone or a tablet and 15% of all online sessions originate on a phone/tablet device. So 18% of people shop using a smartphone/tablet. 15% of online shopping sessions originate on a phone/tablet (this means that desktop shopping is stickier). Sales from phones/tablets, however, still account for only 3.74% of online sales. Lots of people use the mobile phones/tablets to look for things but then use desktops for the actual purchase (or go to a brick and mortar store).

Given the RPITA actually using a smartphone/tablet is to make a purchase compared to the desktop, I understand this.

My take away from this is that shopping on a phone/tablets still sucks when compared to the desktop. Making it easier should be a primary goal of OS/Device makers. This is, I think, the motivation behind Google's digital wallet and Apple's push for in-app purchasing. Google is blocked by doing their standard proprietary implementation and going against what 90% of the industry is wanting to do. Apple is blocked by their stupid 30% cut for being a credit card transaction handler.

I may be missing your point here, but the 30% cut only applies to Apps or App functionality enhancement bought from the App store, right? There is no 30% charge if you use, say, the Amazon Shopper App to buy goods from Amazon. The 30% charge is not for handling credit card transactions per se - it is for selling your software in the App Store.