Foxconn plans to double size of iPhone plant

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I am going to assume Apple is aware of this but my iPhone 4s is renewing is IP lease every 15 mins on my wifi. I just look at the log on the router and its flood by the iPhone.

The iPad 2 and my wife 3gs are not doing this, just the iPhone 4s.

That can't be good for the battery life.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Nice to see my money is such a strong stimulant for Chinese job creation.

There was a study that with all of the jobs in China, the Chinese only gest about 2 percent of the profit, while 30 to 40 % goes to Apple. There is no money in raw manufacturing.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

You can't tell me that machines are capable of assembling an iPhone, iPod, iPad, MacBook or iMac. There's just no way.

Designing, no. Assembling, yes.

You can't tell me that humans are capable of making the unibody cases with the same precision as the automated water cutters.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    So ... doubling the size of a plant that currently produces 200,000 iPhones a day. Does that imply 400,000 iPhones a day or a mix of product with something else? And where in the world will those products - whatever they are - be absorbed? My guess is that this move is less geared toward the developed markets in North America and Europe and more directed to China, India and other markets where Apple considers their development and growth potential is very high.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

There was a study that with all of the jobs in China, the Chinese only gest about 2 percent of the profit, while 30 to 40 % goes to Apple. There is no money in raw manufacturing.

Correct. The margins are razor thin on consumer electronics manufacturing.

That's one reason why Tim Cook is CEO of Apple today. When Steve Jobs hired Cookin the late Nineties, the latter pushed to get Apple out of manufacturing. It's a cut throat, low margin business requiring enormous capital with scant opportunity to increase shareholder value.

Cook saw the opportunity to offload manufacturing costs to contract OEMs.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    how about americans moving to China for jobs then.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

So ... doubling the size of a plant that currently produces 200,000 iPhones a day. Does that imply 400,000 iPhones a day or a mix of product with something else? And where in the world will those products - whatever they are - be absorbed? My guess is that this move is less geared toward the developed markets in North America and Europe and more directed to China, India and other markets where Apple considers their development and growth potential is very high.

My guess is that this means that another factory can be reconfigured to build something else (e.g., iPads or maybe Kindle Fire).

There is no indication here that Foxconn has specifically locked product manufacturing to every manufacturing line they own.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Apple... and more importantly Tim Cook... are masters of the supply chain.

Apple products are still is huge demand at the moment. And it never seems to slow down.

I'm pretty sure this is all part of Apple's plan to stay competitive and provide timely deliveries all across the world.

I went to my Verizon store to buy a 16GB black iPhone 4S. (a very common model) Apparently... my Verizon store doesn't keep any iPhones in stock. I don't know if it's because of a shortage or just general policy.

Long story short... I ordered my iPhone on December 19th... but it didn't even ship until the 23rd.

There's obviously some serious demand that isn't being satisfied quite yet.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Nice to see my money is such a strong stimulant for Chinese job creation.

If I could find another company to satisfy my tech lust that actually made their products in America, I wouldn't hesitate to abandon Apple for their goods. Unfortunately they're all in on it. Even Samsung, who I thought made their stuff in Korea, has relocated large portions (if not most) of its manufacturing to China.

You can't win.

Even Samsung? Why would making stuff in Korea make you happier than making stuff in China?
  • Reply 30 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I am going to assume Apple is aware of this but my iPhone 4s is renewing is IP lease every 15 mins on my wifi. I just look at the log on the router and its flood by the iPhone.

Mine doesn't do that.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Word of advice: Breathe.

With the most recent note that Chinese manufacturing profits are at 2% only made up by massive volumes it's rather clear that even that centralized Far East model will soon be failling.

The only solution will become one that Foxconn itself is realizing: Regional manufacturing.

In short, with advanced materials [GlobalFoundries, IBM, TSMC and yes Samsung] have this quarter began it's $4.4 Billion upstate NY expansion and the new Fab going on-line already it's rather clear that regional fabs will become a reality.

This will provide Apple and others a means to develop Global Fab Contracts and allow a shorter-to-market turn around and thus justify having regional fabs.

With advanced materials research in the US this country is poised to be prime for heavy investment.

Current electronics with rare earth metals concentrated locally in China will begin to lose it's allure as alternative materials far more common and abundant across the globe allow the holders of key research [like the US] to regain a big footing. Still, you want to spread those suppliers regionally. A lot of the product price tag is wasted in distribution and development between suppliers and engineering firms designing the product.

Cutting down time to market will be where firms can satisfy share holders while providing more jobs globally.

Fuel costs make shipping products 10,000 miles away not nearly as attractive as it once was when costs were 1/10th they are today. Fuel isn't going to ever return to a low cost until alternative energy sources become cheaply accessible and that is where another battle for greed will create another recession or two.

Total nonsense. You show a lack of understanding of real economics and IP issues. Companies are not about to put their most important technology / iP into Chinese based FABs/foundries. They never have and aren't about to now so your example is mute. Further, shipping costs are not that significant when you look at the density that Apple's products are shipped in. The greater expense is the ground shipping in the US, not the air shipments in mass quantities that Apple uses for the most part. They are also shipping in such great volumes, and such great logistical efficiencies (pre-loaded and labeled containers) that it makes their shipping costs significantly lower in comparison to you or I shipping something the same route.

Lastly, what time to market are you speaking of? Apple's supply chain is so magnificently efficient that my made-to-order MacBook Pro which I ordered on a Monday afternoon was built in China and delivered to me Thursday morning the same week.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Yay, more jobs to China!

Yay, more ignorant people posting to this site!
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What we really need are FULLY AUTOMATED FACTORIES? here.

There's no sense in any human being performing any task that doesn't require creative, sentient thought and calling it their "job". Machines should be doing that.

LOL - highly / 100% automated factories are far far more expensive to maintain and operate...
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bertyao View Post

how about americans moving to China for jobs then.

Thanks - already did that and loving it!!!!
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

LOL - highly / 100% automated factories are far far more expensive to maintain and operate...

And that's where the American employees come in: as maintenance workers!
  • Reply 36 of 57
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Nobody cares. Really, nobody cares what your problem is.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Even Samsung? Why would making stuff in Korea make you happier than making stuff in China?

Because I love Korea and I hate China.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

Not everything. I was at an Amish community in Mo. and my buddy bought an Amish straw hat. As we drove down the road, he looked inside and it said ' Made in Mexico'.

Hey maybe he's an Aimexican...hey could happen.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

True... fuel is expensive.

However... if Apple is selling 200,000 iPhones a day... they are probably producing close to 200,000 iPhones a day as well.

The money they save by having Foxconn manufacturer all those iPhones... rather than a more expensive factory geographically closer... is probably pretty substantial.

Besides... if Apple can ship 5,000,000 iPhones at once on a boat across the ocean... they're probably not feeling the fuel crunch at all. The shipping cost per unit is minuscule at that scale.

Hey Apple could own their own boat.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Hey Apple could own their own boat.

Here we go AGAIN. (sigh)

Boat ownership is not a particularly profitable venture. As a matter of fact, there's a running joke that the two best days of boat ownership are A.) the day you buy it, and B.) the day you sell it. The rest of the time is like taking a cold shower while ripping up hundred dollar bills.

Tim Cook is not getting Apple into the ocean cargo business. As a matter of fact, part of the reason why he's CEO is because he got Apple out of the low-margin manufacturing racket.

Jesus, the hare-brained ideas that some people get here... I am damned glad that AI commentors don't actually run Apple.