Foxconn plans to double size of iPhone plant

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip;2014709However... if Apple is selling 200,000 iPhones a day... they are probably [I

producing[/I] close to 200,000 iPhones a day as well.

Dunno if they are selling that many but as the article stated they are producing that many.

"smartphone plant at Foxconn Science Park in Zhengzhou, which currently produces over 200,000 iPhones a day."
  • Reply 42 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Dunno if they are selling that many but as the article stated they are producing that many.

"smartphone plant at Foxconn Science Park in Zhengzhou, which currently produces over 200,000 iPhones a day."

Apple is selling that many iPhones as well.

Q1 2011 - 180,000 per day

Q2 2011 - 207,000 per day

Q3 2011 - 226,000 per day

Q4 2011 - 190,000 per day

I have a feeling this next quarter will top 'em all. No wonder they are ramping up production!
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Designing, no. Assembling, yes.

You can't tell me that humans are capable of making the unibody cases with the same precision as the automated water cutters.

I was talking strictly assembly. Foxconn assembles components into the the final product; components that are mostly fabricated by machines, such as circuit boards, SoCs, display screens and capacitive touch panels.

The USA can't compete when most won't work for under $15/hr. plus benefits. Anything less than that people choose to collect unemployment insurance and as long as that money keep flowing from our federal and state governments there is no incentive to work for anything less.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    double the capacity = double suicides.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    I wonder how much $$$ Apple pledged for this project? Half?
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I wish the jobs were in America to but come on people, those workers are paid crap wages( probably 75 cents an hour) and work under such dangerous conditions they would make OSHA scream.

During one of those GOP candidate debates a moderator ask that lot of looney tunes what they would do to stop a growing a China. LOL! China is America's sugar daddy.

LOL, those jobs at Foxconn so dangerous that they had to set up mosquito nets to catch all their workers jumping out of their dorms.

Jobs was a lifelong democrat! LOL
  • Reply 47 of 57
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can if you're Amish. Not only is everything you buy made in America, it's all local!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

Not everything. I was at an Amish community in Mo. and my buddy bought an Amish straw hat. As we drove down the road, he looked inside and it said ' Made in Mexico'.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Unless you're Charlie Sheen...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Yay, more jobs to China!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I am going to assume Apple is aware of this but my iPhone 4s is renewing is IP lease every 15 mins on my wifi. I just look at the log on the router and its flood by the iPhone.

The iPad 2 and my wife 3gs are not doing this, just the iPhone 4s.

That can't be good for the battery life.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bertyao View Post

how about americans moving to China for jobs then.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Yay, more ignorant people posting to this site!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Nobody cares. Really, nobody cares what your problem is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Because I love Korea and I hate China.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Hey maybe he's an Aimexican...hey could happen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hankx32 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

LOL, those jobs at Foxconn so dangerous that they had to set up mosquito nets to catch all their workers jumping out of their dorms.

Jobs was a lifelong democrat! LOL

Just some of the usual irrelevant and off topic posts.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

The jobs are there anyway... and that's not gonna change any time soon.

Tons of companies use Foxconn for manufacturing:

Acer Inc. (Taiwan)

Amazon.com (United States)

Apple Inc. (United States)

ASRock (Taiwan)

Asus (Taiwan)

Barnes & Noble (United States)

Cisco (United States)

Dell (United States)

EVGA Corporation (United States)

Hewlett-Packard (United States)

Intel (United States)

IBM (United States)

Lenovo (China)

Microsoft (United States)

MSI (Taiwan)

Motorola (United States)

Netgear (United States)

Nintendo (Japan)

Nokia (Finland)

Panasonic (Japan)

Philips (Netherlands)

Samsung (South Korea)

Sharp (Japan)

Sony Ericsson (Japan/Sweden)

Toshiba (Japan)

Vizio (United States)

Not to sound too simplistic but it seems that everyone is paying a premium for Foxconn products that are branded under corporate names like Samsung, Sony, Apple, IBM, and so on.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

There was a study that with all of the jobs in China, the Chinese only gest about 2 percent of the profit, while 30 to 40 % goes to Apple. There is no money in raw manufacturing.

This is one of the reason I laugh when people who simply don't get it suggest that Apple could internalize their manufacturing. They care about money. The money isn't really there in manufacturing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I was talking strictly assembly. Foxconn assembles components into the the final product; components that are mostly fabricated by machines, such as circuit boards, SoCs, display screens and capacitive touch panels.

The USA can't compete when most won't work for under $15/hr. plus benefits. Anything less than that people choose to collect unemployment insurance and as long as that money keep flowing from our federal and state governments there is no incentive to work for anything less.

$15/hr. here wouldn't even pass the screening for an apartment lease.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

Not to sound too simplistic but it seems that everyone is paying a premium for Foxconn products that are branded under corporate names like Samsung, Sony, Apple, IBM, and so on.

Are you suggesting that the iPhone a Foxconn product but with Apple branding? Hell no. All Foxconn got was a set of plans drawn up by Apple. <-- that's the biggest part

There are 26 companies on that list... who combined have thousands of products.

Those companies come up with the idea for a product... design, marketing, and so forth...

Then Foxconn puts it together. Foxconn is very good at assembly... that's what their strength is.

Think of it this way... you hire an architect to design a house... but a contractor gets it built.

The architect didn't go to school to swing a hammer.... and the carpenters, electricians and drywall guys didn't have to study architecture.

Yes... Foxconn makes tons of products..... but they only make products that other companies come up with.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hankx32 View Post

Probably about 80 billion
  • Reply 52 of 57
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    the Patriots game?

Oh, just looking to break it up a little, and cool folks down.

Few of us REALLY care where any of the tech or not tech stuff is made, all we want is it to work, be cool and be available.

Would it be nice if Apple and others made these items here ? yes. But my guess is, if we are the workers, we'll be making what, $15.00 - $22.00 per hour, have a 15 minute break each 3 hours, a lunch hour and 2 unpaid breaks. We'd likely make about 200 or so units per day, and NOBODY would get an iPhone or and other idevice in the given year that you ordered it.

Look, ask my friends, it pisses me off to no end, that damn near everything we use here in America is made somewhere else. In my business, we are often asked if we can get "That item" made in America, and if so, how much does it cost. When we give them the price, they almost always go with the cheaper unit, made elsewhere. (9 out of 10 pay the cheaper stuff), not to mention, I often have to tell them, NO, I can't find one of these "Made in America". This same subject matter holds true for folks asking if that items is available as an "Eco Friendly version". Most often the answer is Yes, but once they get the costs for both, they decide on the "regular" style for now.

Both of the above are changing (Oh, did I mention most of the "Eco Friendly" stuff, is made overseas, how eco friendly is that?)

Costs are coming down, (a lot of companies have these items on "Close-out", because folks won't pay the original price) ? Sorry I'm going off-track.

Skip
  • Reply 53 of 57
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The U.S. should create a "competitive manufacturing zone" without minimum wage, unions or oppressive taxes so that companies can start building things here.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The U.S. should create a "competitive manufacturing zone" without minimum wage, unions or oppressive taxes so that companies can start building things here.

We did. It's called china (and Mexico). You wouldn't want your friends or sons working at these places, much as you think you would.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

We did. It's called china (and Mexico). You wouldn't want your friends or sons working at these places, much as you think you would.

Good answer! He left out oppressive environmental regulations. You might have added Texas. \
  • Reply 56 of 57
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

With or without a minimum wage law, wages would have to be low to be competitive with China, Korea, India etc. etc... Are you that crazy? Who would work there?
  • Reply 57 of 57
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Jesus, the hare-brained ideas that some people get here... I am damned glad that AI commentors don't actually run Apple.

Oh, let them own one share (or more) of stock and suddenly their the genius