Apple's future iPhones & iPads could automatically personalize via face recognition

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

If I were a DHS or DOD warrantless surveillance jerk, I would certainly be intrigued by this Apple technology. Which they would share with feds, presumably.

... the DOD/DHS "jerks" are far beyond this already, so Apple "sharing" this with them is a rather silly idea. They can do facial recognition from satellite already. I wouldn't be surprised if they have already implemented some form of advanced mobile device facial recognition as a part of advanced augmented reality functions. You are a day late and a dollar short my friend.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea9999 View Post

Wasn't the Android gimmick fooled by a picture?

Not great security if It can't tell the difference between a real person and a picture|

From experience, if you have a beard, the ICS gimmick only works about 1 in 10 times.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Multiple user is already available on Microsoft Tablets - maybe that is an option for you.

Oh, so apple have been beaten to multiple users, beaten to facial recognition of user, but they think they are entitled to a patent of facial recognition for multiple users. The innovation is amazing. No-one else would have ever thought about this.

This is why you get ignored most of the time! Those Micorsoft tabbies you are gloating over - those wouldn't be the massively overweight frankenstein lappies would they? Or are your referring to the currently non-existent Windows 8 slates/tablets that are magical levitating, unicorn-friendly fantasyware? Of course, having not read for comprehension of the article, you utterly failed to capture that fact that this is a patent for a specific implementation of an element of facial recognition. You apparently are largely ignorant of the immense amount of work already done and patented in the field of facial recognition for security. Which would explain the unmitigated snark detracting from the overall commentary. First to market is not always best in the market, but that concept seems lost on you as well.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, before we get buried under an avalanche of Ice Cream Sandwiches, can someone tell me how (or IF) this is different from that gimmick in Android and how this implementation wouldn't also be a pointless gimmick?

Yeah there is nothing secure about this when a photo could do the same thing.

I want security that requires me to be alive to use. This means no thumb print, retinal scan, rectal scan or voice recognition.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yeah there is nothing secure about this when a photo could do the same thing.

I want security that requires me to be alive to use. This means no thumb print, retinal scan, rectal scan or voice recognition.

I believe I recall Google blogging that Facial Recognition Unlock was not intended as a security feature but as simply a convenience at this point. Now with that said, there's vastly improved 3D smartphone technology (reportedly) coming up in the first quarter of next year that may lend itself to a "secure" log-in feature using facial recognition.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    i don't care about wiz bang face recognition. just stop being greedy and put a friggin user switching option on the ipad when you double tap the home button

EXCLAMATION POINT
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I believe I recall Google blogging that Facial Recognition Unlock was not intended as a security feature but as simply a convenience at this point. Now with that said, there's vastly improved 3D smartphone technology (reportedly) coming up in the first quarter of next year that may lend itself to a "secure" log-in feature using facial recognition.

That moves the bar from using a 2D image to a 3D image. That's better, but it's still not secure. What about a twin or a family that looks very similar. Chances are it would allow them access.

That all the things I mentioned can be had by looking at the person or using them while they are unconscious (e.g: thumb print). The only good way to secure your system is to use a unique password that no one else knows about.

PS: Use 1Password to make all your passwords unique for all the sites you access. Even if you trust a site you may not be able to trust an employee or simply poor security that gets your info stolen so it's best to keep it unique from all the others. Also, never use your real birthday, Mother's maiden name, etc.

On top of that I have created a standard user on my MBP that has password but can run many apps and get on the web. It's meant to be used by a thief, not a guest. I have found scripts that will send me an email if this is accessed and will run in the background grabbing location data, logging keystrokes and taking snapshots that are then sent to me periodically just incase my machine is stolen.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i don't care about wiz bang face recognition. just stop being greedy and put a friggin user switching option on the ipad when you double tap the home button

EXCLAMATION POINT

Why, when you can just be sold another iPad?
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:

Okay, before we get buried under an avalanche of Ice Cream Sandwiches, can someone tell me how (or IF) this is different from that gimmick in Android and how this implementation wouldn't also be a pointless gimmick?

Because it will be implemented by Apple and so people here will proclaim it as an amazing new feature regardless of whether it does the exact same thing as Android. And they'll also ret-con history so that Google stole the concept from Apple in the first place.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Because it will be implemented by Apple and so people here will proclaim it as an amazing new feature regardless of whether it does the exact same thing as Android. And they'll also ret-con history so that Google stole the concept from Apple in the first place.

Careful, now. \
  • Reply 31 of 58
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Why, when you can just be sold another iPad?

THAT's the problem. i have two iPads, but i have to go get MINE from the living room if i want to check my email instead of my wife's from the nightstand, and she doesn't have nearly as many games as i do. i don't want to sit in bed and peruse epicurious in the morning, i want to play dead space.

[yes it's easy to get off my ass and get my ipad, but it's also not difficult - just greedy - that apple doesn't have multiple user accounts on iOS devices]
  • Reply 32 of 58
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

But the way that Ice Cream is doing it is apparently not so great. Apple figures out a better way, patents it and then Android would be stuck having to license it from Apple if they want to use that improved way of doing the whole trick. tad devious but it's a stunt Apple has pulled before as have other companies.

Can you show me a patent that is NOT based on previous technology?

Well - we have the transistor, and original Xerox photocopy process - but even these used research from others.

The USPTO gives patents only to applications that it believes to be original. So if Apple has a patent then it is most likely for some original contribution. Yes - this is precisely their M.O. - find any easier, better way to do things, continually improve on what has come before. If you do not like this, may I suggest that you go back to using DOS?
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

There are a finite set of elements ...

Well said! Thanks for the explanation.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

On top of that I have created a standard user on my MBP that has password but can run many apps and get on the web. It's meant to be used by a thief, not a guest. I have found scripts that will send me an email if this is accessed and will run in the background grabbing location data, logging keystrokes and taking snapshots that are then sent to me periodically just incase my machine is stolen.

Can you elaborate on these scripts? Where have you found them?
  • Reply 35 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

Can you elaborate on these scripts? Where have you found them?

I wish I could. Most were fond on the internet and then I had a friend tweak them for my machine with the info going to a dummy email account that autoforwards to my email account. I'll see if I can some info but these are not generic scripts I can give out unless he's gone and made them that way.

Things I do know: There are a couple LaunchDaemons. One will send an email immediately. Another will start some recording of the display and/or key strokes. Another will copy any changes to the system like Safari history or writing a letter. And there is some app (I think pulled from a Widget) that will get the location of your WiFi in intervals.

I really need to get this information writing down but I wonder if it's just easier to use an app like Hidden or Orbicle.

PS: I lost my iPad 2 a couple months back. No idea where it could have gone. Since it's not 3G, lock it with a PIN, and don't have WiFi out-connecting there was very little chance of Find My iPad working. I sent the erase command but it's likely been wiped. If Apple allowed for a Guest user access that could not access my account but do some simple stuff it's possible the thief wouldn't have wiped it right away. I hope Guest account makes it to the next version of iOS for many reasons.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Now Apple needs to quickly extend this patent to point-of-sale terminals, in-vehicle personalization and "in-front of TV" channel customization.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

You probably did not mean it but you sound like a fan girl.

It seems that we have a ton of people today who can not read and understand the implications of Apple's patent.

Bottom line summary

Apple has blindsided the industry with an amazing advancement in facial recognition and they have PATENTED IT!

Samsung Android Galaxy Nexus - security easily fooled by a photograph.

Apple includes a built-in feature that judges a person’s level of attentiveness when using the device, that should eliminate that trick. It wouldn't do to kill the individual to access his device because I have yet to see an attentive dead person, even after watching a Weekend at Bernies.

Do you want a toy or a real tool?

Samsung Android Galaxy Nexus - typical poor Android quality. Frequently the concept fails so it is just a play toy, a gimmick not a real life tool you can depend on

Apple’s patented new method would use shortcuts to accurately determine who’s using a device making it fast and accurate with little effort and they can prevent all others from copying the idea like they can with MagSafe, which is only found on Apple Mac laptops. No PC can ever have anything like MagSafe it is proprietary technology patented by Apple.

Apple’s patented new method would allow a business or family to have multiple secure user accounts based on facial recognition. Tablets can become multiuser with the iPad or Mac remembering what you were doing last and taking you there as soon as it recognized you.

The future iPhone, iPad, and Mac will be more advanced than that old PC used before we entered the mobile era.

Remember this:

This is another clear example of every body focused on where the puck is today and they aren't giving any thought to where it is going to be next.

In my opinion, Siri and reliable facial recognition are going to have a big impact on Apple's future growth and their desirability as a maker of useful devices for normal people.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4phun View Post

No PC can ever have anything like MagSafe it is proprietary technology patented by Apple.

And from a consumer viewpoint, where do you see the advantage to one company having a patent on usefull features and not allowing other companies to have something similar ?

As a stock holder,which I'm not I totally understand the advantage, not as a consumer.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Rather than being fooled by a "cold" photograph, perhaps besides facial features being registered, heat (within a certain temperature range) from the users face could be read to avoid the flat, cold photo trick.

Serious breachers would no doubt find a way around this but for the casual would-be-user, it may be enough of a barrier.

Not accounting for cold, winter skin or fevered faces of course :-)
  • Reply 40 of 58
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

... the DOD/DHS "jerks" are far beyond this already, so Apple "sharing" this with them is a rather silly idea. They can do facial recognition from satellite already. I wouldn't be surprised if they have already implemented some form of advanced mobile device facial recognition as a part of advanced augmented reality functions. You are a day late and a dollar short my friend.

I mean to share the entire iOS user base and their activities with them, with biometric records naturally.