Purported parts for Apple's 'iPad 3' suggest 30-pin dock connector will remain

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He point is clear. As in making the resolution double in each direction so that there are 4x as many pixels. This makes it easy for the system to scale a single pixel into 4 pixels thereby not suffering any user interface interface issues for apps that haven't yet been updated to take advantage of Retina Display in the iPad.

And what hardware will be able to push this many pixels while maintaining 10hr battery?
  • Reply 42 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

And what hardware will be able to push this many pixels while maintaining 10hr battery?

As I've stated many times before we don't yet know if that's possible. We also don't know if Apple will use more advanced, denser battery tech to make up for the difference or if they produce enough of these displays for their customers.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    With a user base in the tens of millions, it would be a huge mistake for Apple to change this connector. My main gripe is that they curved the edge of the iPad 2, making it a less secure fit.

I get infuriated as it is trying to get the correct connector for all of the laptops released in the last decade.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    Please see the whole Samsung Galaxy Note ecosystem of peripherals available at Clove.co.uk. Much better thought out than Apple's iOS device system, as is the superb inductive dock offered with the sadly defunct Palm/HP WebOS TouchPad.

Apple should add a stylus, proper iOS Bluetooth etc on/off controls on demand, without delving through menu options, make the iPad controls VISIBLE from the front of the device so you don't have to guess where they are - as per the iPad 1.

And add arrow keys to the on screen keyboard so one doesn't have to faff around with a finger to position the cursor.

These issues drove me nuts so I sold my iPad 2 and am getting the Galaxy Note - closest to the Apple Newton than anything else - to date.

Come on Apple, remember your soul.

Night night!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New components claimed to be from Apple's third-generation iPad show continued use of the 30-pin dock connector, potentially dispelling rumors that it would be replaced with a smaller form factor.

Japan's Macotakara ordered a handful of components claimed to be from prototype builds of Apple's anticipated third-generation iPad. The so-called "replacement parts" purport to be a microphone flex cable ribbon, power on/off flex cable, and dock connector charging port.

The dock connector is the most significant of the trio of components, because the 30-pin port still fits with Apple's existing iPod cable used on current iPhone, iPad and iPod models. The hands-on look at the part found that the cable sticks slightly shallower into the port, and the connector is shorter than before.

An earlier rumor about the next iPad's dock connector surfaced in October from the same website, suggesting Apple's third-generation iPad would feature a new, smaller dock connector. It was then claimed that the port would include the same 30-pin input and electricity specification internally, but it would be redesigned and smaller on the outside.

The current 30-pin dock connector was first introduced in Apple's iPod lineup back in April of 2003. It has been largely unchanged ever since, and Apple has even managed to squeeze the port onto its diminutive touchscreen iPod nano.

As for the other alleged third-generation iPad components, the power on/off flex cable includes a power button, rotation lock button, and volume button, suggesting all of those hardware features will be retained in the next iPad. The microphone flex cable is also said to be redesigned from the iPad 2.

The parts were obtained from reseller TVC-Mall.com, which gained attention earlier this month when it was found to be selling the microphone flex cable ribbon replacement. Because the part shows a different arrangement in internal circuitry than with the iPad 2, it led to speculation that the internal components of a so-called "iPad 3" may feature a significant redesign.

The first purported iPad 3 part surfaced in July, and it too hinted at material design changes with the next-generation tablet, at least internally, due to different part numbers on a hardware component.

• Reply 45 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Please see the whole Samsung Galaxy Note ecosystem of peripherals available at Clove.co.uk. Much better thought out than Apple's iOS device system, as is the superb inductive dock offered with the sadly defunct Palm/HP WebOS TouchPad.

Apple should add a stylus, proper iOS Bluetooth etc on/off controls on demand, without delving through menu options, make the iPad controls VISIBLE from the front of the device so you don't have to guess where they are - as per the iPad 1.

And add arrow keys to the on screen keyboard so one doesn't have to faff around with a finger to position the cursor.

These issues drove me nuts so I sold my iPad 2 and am getting the Galaxy Note - closest to the Apple Newton than anything else - to date.

Night night!

I might use one of the things you mentioned on an iPad.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You've completely misunderstood. Apple would be adding Thunderbolt pins to the Dock Connector, not replacing it with a Thunderbolt port.

Speaking of pins, whatever became of the old FireWire pins? Were they ever repurposed or do they remain unused? Because if the latter, hello, Thunderbolt opportunity!

Then it wouldn't adhere to the Thunderbolt standard and would once again become a proprietary format. There is a reason Apple didn't call Dock Connector USB even though that is more or less what it is.

Also Thunderbolt is an Intel standard which means it requires an Intel compatible system board. Guess what the iPad doesn't have and what it most likely will not have for a good while yet.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I might use one of the things you mentioned on an iPad.

I'm hoping one day an iPad will accept both finger and stylus input, but I'd like the stylus to be much more accurate than a finger. I'm not talking about those fat styli that can be used now, something more elegant, that would act like a fine Cross pen or a mechanical pencil.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

1. iOS device backups that now take a few minutes would be just about instantaneous. iOS device backups which now take an hour or more would complete in less than a minute.

2. It would help drive the adoption of Thunderbolt, which is a strategic technology for Apple.

3. It would give owners of iOS device another reason to choose Mac rather than PeeCee when they replace their computer.

Who doesn't backup to iTunes wirelessly? You still plug it in? Wow....
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Indeed. I think the last time I connected my iPad to my Mac was to install iOS5. Since then everything has been wireless. As far as I'm concerned they can get rid of the 30 pin connector entirely and just have a power connector.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    Quote:

Quote:

As I've stated many times before we don't yet know if that's possible. We also don't know if Apple will use more advanced, denser battery tech to make up for the difference or if they produce enough of these displays for their customers.

As I too have mentioned before, this is an engineering feat to be admired, and one that few can appreciate.

Since 2000+ x 1000+ screens in ~10" screens have been shown in trade shows, we know that at least a handful of them have been made. But the manufacturing yield, memory management and battery management and cost of manufacturing are all issues that have to be mastered. Have they been mastered yet? As we saw during AntennaGate, hardware is one aspect that few Apple bloggers or fanboys (or Android bloggers and fanboys, for that matter) can truly appreciate or understand. So we cannot really rely on them to tell us whether this technology is ready or not.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Indeed. I think the last time I connected my iPad to my Mac was to install iOS5. Since then everything has been wireless. As far as I'm concerned they can get rid of the 30 pin connector entirely and just have a power connector.

That will be awhile, especially as we progress in storage capacities. 128GB may come this year? and then 256GB two years after?
  • Reply 52 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm hoping one day an iPad will accept both finger and stylus input, but I'd like the stylus to be much more accurate than a finger. I'm not talking about those fat styli that can be used now, something more elegant, that would act like a fine Cross pen or a mechanical pencil.

If you really want, you can buy 3rd party styluses (styli?) for the iPad.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

If you really want, you can buy 3rd party styluses (styli?) for the iPad.

They work pretty well but the touchscreen sensitivity isn't close to what Wacom offers.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Quote:

They work pretty well but the touchscreen sensitivity isn't close to what Wacom offers.

True. But Wacom tablets are for specialized applications. Apple doesn't do specialized products.

There are Wacom Bamboo styluses for the iPads. I tried one at a trade show and it was pretty good for drawing and annotation. Better control than a finger.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    Quote:

2048x1536 is highly unlikely. 1600x1200 is more likely but I won't be surprised if it only had 1400x1050. You need to think for a moment what GPU can push that many pixels and still power efficient to get +10hr battery life. Even an increase to 1280x960 is substantial, people hold the iPad at a further distance than the iPhone.

It will be either 2048 x 1536 or no change in resolution. I am usually against absolutes, but this one you can take to the bank.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

and even the old firewire iPods can still be plugged into most of today's Mac's.

Unfortunately not into a FW adapter. My iOS devices pop up a message that 'this accessory is not compatible with...' which is beyond me. Why would they not allow people to use their old adapters? I love that they have kept the same 30 pin connector all these years. Just the incompatibility with FW adapters is a shame. Although by now I have bought so many iOS devices the USB adapts are scattered all over my place.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darrynlowe View Post

I see no reason whatsoever for Apple to incorporate Thunderbolt when there is no real valid technical reason to do so.

With their wish for wireless syncing I would think they rather kill the port entirely than to change it. Less is more and all that. To which I agree.

Steve had his plane design with Larry's as a template. But the door had an open AND close button, which Steve didn't like. He wanted one button that toggled. That I like; there really is no need for two buttons for a door that is either closed OR open. But I digress.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Actually they do remember, and therefore omitted the arrow keys. It was added to their keyboards during the dark ages and took some serious convincing to keep them after Steve got back.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Everybody still plugs it in, just not into their Macs but into their adapters. How is the expression, 'same difference?'
  • Reply 60 of 62
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Everybody still plugs it in, just not into their Macs but into their adapters. How is the expression, 'same difference?'

Not really. People are saying thunderbolt should be added. But why if there is no data to be transferred? Just use a more efficient charging system if they are going to add anything (thunderbolt is not it). And still- why just exchange one cord for another?

Apple will cut the cord before they would incorporate thunderbolt. It's 30 pin connector and then it'll be nothing.

-Charging will happen wirelessly.

-Players/Accessories will use AirPlay or cheaper ones will have a wireless charger on it with the Aux plug if it doesn't support AirPlay.

Why would anyone want to change from one wire to another?