Apple gains ground while Android pushes to 50% share of US market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

"Android enjoyed an overwhelming lead in the smartphone OS space, taking nearly half of all smartphone subscribers with 46.9%. The 3.1 point change from August more than doubled the 1.4% growth Apple's iOS managed over the same period."

That's a frightening number for Apple management. It's a clear sign that Android has overwhelmed iOS in the market place. This only reinforces my statements that iOS will be marginalized as a small niche player. High profits will not be enought to sustain the product onece Android takes 98% share. I would be shocked if that doesn't happen in 2012. I do feel bad for Apple. They pushed the technology forward as with the Mac, only to lose again just like the Mac.

Meanwhile, Apple cannot keep up with iPhone demand and are doubling the size of their production factories!

Apple is Doomed!?
  • Reply 22 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zak_the_great View Post

Maybe we should add the numbers for Samsung too, as their phones are designed by apple , manufactured by Samsung?

I like your math. Great first post!
  • Reply 23 of 100
    Quote:

"Android enjoyed an overwhelming lead in the smartphone OS space, taking nearly half of all smartphone subscribers with 46.9%. The 3.1 point change from August more than doubled the 1.4% growth Apple's iOS managed over the same period."

That's a frightening number for Apple management. It's a clear sign that Android has overwhelmed iOS in the market place. This only reinforces my statements that iOS will be marginalized as a small niche player. High profits will not be enought to sustain the product onece Android takes 98% share. I would be shocked if that doesn't happen in 2012

98% market share for Android in 2012?
  • Reply 24 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm still amazed that Google still has less than 50% after all these years. It's modern, it's free, it has a decent ecosystem. They have hundreds upon hundreds of developers trying to put in in everything from PMPs, to phones, to tablets, to notebooks to home appliances. There numbers should huge.
  • Reply 25 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

98% market share for Android in 2012?

Yet they still wouldn't even have 2% of the profits.
  • Reply 26 of 100
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

Android grew 3% in one quarter, and you expect them to go from nearly 50% to 98% within the year? How many quarters do you expect 2012 to have?

Slappy still has a point. Clearly the 3gs at 0$ is not enough. Apple need to come up with a low cost phone, not just reduce the price of the old model.

Here in Montreal you can have a Galaxy II s or 4g for 0$. The 3gs is a two year old phone, none of is specs even come close to compete. Apple need to design something to compete at lower price points. If Apple is so good it should be able to produce a 0$ phone and still make a decent margin on it.

Same goes for the iPad. Apple need to do something about the erosion of is market shares. A repeat of the 90's Mac event could kill Apple in a few years.
  • Reply 27 of 100
    Quote:

once Android takes 98% share. I would be shocked if that doesn't happen in 2012.

Please stay around for another year and bring a spoon when we revisit this at the end of 2012. At least the shocked look will help keep your mouth open to eat those words.
  • Reply 28 of 100
    Oh yes, so sad for Apple, the iPhone disappearing from the face of the earth just like the Mac before it. Well, I suppose Apple still makes computers, but they will be lucky if they don't soon fall all the way to a low 20% US PC market share at the rate they are going now.

The anything-but-Apple idiots may spend so much time dancing around rejoicing over Android filling the world with crappy phones they may find the Mac sneaking up and walloping them on the back of the head.
  • Reply 29 of 100
    Quote:

That's a frightening number for Apple management. It's a clear sign that Android has overwhelmed iOS in the market place. This only reinforces my statements that iOS will be marginalized as a small niche player. High profits will not be enought to sustain the product onece Android takes 98% share. I would be shocked if that doesn't happen in 2012. I do feel bad for Apple. They pushed the technology forward as with the Mac, only to lose again just like the Mac.

Why do people keep perpetuating this Mac market share myth?

The Mac never had market share in the computer market comparable to what the iPhone has in smart phone market. These are not parallel situations. Everyone frames the story of the Mac vs. Windows as if the Mac owned the entire computer market from day one and MS came along with Windows and ate Apple's lunch. The Mac never had significant market share in the first place and therefore it's nothing like what we're seeing with iOS vs. Android. Explain to me what you see that you think compares.

Why does this persist? I suppose it's so we Mac users can feel like the underdogs who had these great ideas stolen unfairly by Big Bad Bill Gates and so Windows users can view themselves as being on the side that knocked smarmy Steve Jobs down a few notches. Well, none of that is accurate. MS didn't steal market share from Apple. Apple didn't have it to begin with.

In fact, it's jaw-dropping to me that anyone would say the Mac lost when, in fact, the Mac is having its glory days right now, right in front of us. The Mac has never had the kind of market and mind share that it has right now. To speak of the Mac as if it had lost is to completely ignore the reality in front of you.
  • Reply 30 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

The Mac never had market share in the computer market comparable to what the iPhone has in smart phone market. These are not parallel situations. Everyone frames the story of the Mac vs. Windows as if the Mac owned the entire computer market from day one and MS came along with Windows and ate Apple's lunch. The Mac never had significant market share in the first place and therefore it's nothing like what we're seeing with iOS vs. Android. Explain to me what you see that you think compares.

Why does this persist? I suppose it's so we Mac users can feel like the underdogs who had these great ideas stolen unfairly by Big Bad Bill Gates and so Windows users can view themselves as being on the side that knocked smarmy Steve Jobs down a few notches. Well, none of that is accurate. MS didn't steal market share from Apple. Apple didn't have it to begin with.

In fact, it's jaw-dropping to me that anyone would say the Mac lost when, in fact, the Mac is having its glory days right now, right in front of us. The Mac has never had the kind of market and mind share that it has right now. To speak of the Mac as if it had lost is to completely ignore the reality in front of you.

Thank you! Finally someone posted this lol
  • Reply 31 of 100
    Quote:

Why did so many Android lunatics start reading AppleInsider?

I suppose they started coming here to find out which hot new features will soon be coming to their Android phones.
  • Reply 32 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why hasn't Slappy been banned for posting BS comments designed to incite arguments?

That's all these threads ever do is incite arguments. I remember when I first joined this forum the party line was no one cared about market share. Now it seems like theses thread become battle grounds over market share.
  • Reply 33 of 100
    Quote:

A common misconception is that history repeats itself, which is generally correct but also exactly wrong. As far as the Mac goes, looking at the PC industry in general compared to the Mac, and comparing that to the iPhone/iOS I would take that as a compliment. Allow the Android platform to marginalize itself, and that kinda already has begun, and then let's see where those R&D budgets come from...

Oh, and Apple has not begun to reduce pricing yet have they, just reeling them in... When one controls both the hardware and the software, prices can be reduced while profits continue to grow. Just sayin'

I for one prefer that Apple not dominate the market, better to be a strong second, let the others attempt to set the pace. Now compare this to the PG industry and the Mac, the Mac is still a small player when compared to the entire industry but interestingly it is Apple that makes huge profits when compared to the rest of the PC industry with their Mac biz. So let's say Apple ends up owning around 30% of the smart phone biz, but what if they walk away with over 50% of the profits from said smartphone market. Game, set, match. The Android appears to be headed to being the common phone, I can't see this changing unless Apple wants to go bottom fishing, ie I can't see Apple coming out with a "cheap" phone, maybe one with more value for the dollar which it will be argued if that is actually cheaper than other phones, or plans. Oh yes, plans....

Ty
  • Reply 34 of 100
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Why hasn't Slappy been banned for posting BS comments designed to incite arguments?

Seems like he does a pretty good job of getting the posters who can't resist feeding trolls to poke their heads up. A very useful trait. If you're going to ban someone, ban the Apple fanboi who is too clueless to ignore the obvious troll
  • Reply 35 of 100
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

I'm still amazed that Google still has less than 50% after all these years. It's modern, it's free, it has a decent ecosystem. They have hundreds upon hundreds of developers trying to put in in everything from PMPs, to phones, to tablets, to notebooks to home appliances. There numbers should huge.

After all these years??

The iPhone 3GS was half a year old before the first competitive Android phone, the original Droid, came on the market. At that point Android-compatible phones held less than 5% marketshare. 24 months later they're bumping up against 50%. Just how fast did you expect Android device take-up to be? I'm amazed you expected it to be even faster than that. It's nothing I would have predicted two years ago, not even close.
  • Reply 36 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Slappy still has a point. Clearly the 3gs at 0$ is not enough. Apple need to come up with a low cost phone, not just reduce the price of the old model.

Here in Montreal you can have a Galaxy II s or 4g for 0$. The 3gs is a two year old phone, none of is specs even come close to compete. Apple need to design something to compete at lower price points. If Apple is so good it should be able to produce a 0$ phone and still make a decent margin on it.

Same goes for the iPad. Apple need to do something about the erosion of is market shares. A repeat of the 90's Mac event could kill Apple in a few years.

Hmmmm.... maybe if market share is the only thing companies care about (it's not)

Apple is gonna sell 25 million iPhones this quarter (to be clear... that's a single company over 3 months)

Apple can barely keep up as it is (1-2 week ship times... and one factory produces 200,000 every day)

Are they really worried about how they rank among "the other guys"?

iPhone vs Android... Mac vs Windows... Coke vs Pepsi... it sure is fun to talk about. But market share is just a number.

Oh... and I don't think Apple will ever screw up so bad that they will "kill" themselves. If that day ever happened... they have $81,000,000,000 to bail themselves out.

I'm sure there is a RIM forum somewhere if you wanna discuss the demise of a company! (and RIM isn't going out of business anyway... so it's crazy to suggest Apple will...)
  • Reply 37 of 100
    Quote:

That's funny that you think Apple has lost in any way considering Apple is believed to be worth more than Google and Microsoft combined.
  • Reply 38 of 100
    Quote:

It is a huge mistake to lump all of the Android manufacturers together and call it a common OS. These lumped figures compared to Apple (who is a single manufacturer) is meaningless. Android is not an OS, it is a development platform with many variations. You lump GSM radio systems with CDMA and then compare. Totally meaningless. Just my opinion. I know you don't care. Just continue to throw out numbers, thinking they are meaningful. Look at updates. Most users just buy a new phone to get an Android update.
  • Reply 39 of 100
    personally,

i do not mind what has os market share. what i care about is who has the dollars to invest in pushing forward and who is actually interested in os development.

it is very important to me what the underlying reason for being is when choosing products and services.

is it os and device, or is it data mining and ads.

i would pay to view appleinsider, they do not need ads, ads are needed when something has no value or worse they create the perception that things are valueless.

android isn't free, servers do require money to keep running, the internet is the largest most expensive thing we have ever built.

we all paid for android with our lost dollars in time and bandwidth so the web can be covered with ads, so online products and services can degrade themselves into traffic capture versus content, so companies paying for the ads degrade their products to still make bank while having increased ad spend.

android has cost us all dearly and continues to drain on us. iOS paid its own way by making and selling tools so people can make money and enjoy their lives.

free the web, thanks for the ad.
  • Reply 40 of 100
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    So, in fact, Apple lost ground to Android