Steve Jobs' love affair with Japan

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    It is silly to say Japan has some kind of monopoly on cruel or sexually perverse topics. They are about average in these departments. Human beings are not well behaved anywhere.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

First of all, Shinto is the official Japanese state religion, not Zen Buddhism which is mostly a Western affectation of, get this, white people.

Shinto was merged with Buddhism long time ago. Now it's just one and the same (of course with minor difference from original Indian Buddhism, much like Chinese). Zen is a code. When people say Zen Buddhism they just mean Buddhism in Japan (which is of course now known as Shinto).
  • Reply 43 of 49
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosujin View Post

Quite a statement.

I lived in Osaka and Tokyo for more than 3 years and didn't experience anything like what you described. Sound's like Steve didn't either.

Where in Japan, exactly, did you personally encounter individuals with these "sadistic" and "twisted" mentalities?

Uh it's about as rampant as I've ever seen it, way more so than what I've seen in the U.S. or U.K. Maybe Steve liked that attitude? From his bio he almost SOUNDS Japanese.. They are among the most racist and hateful people on the planet. Their cultural behavior is also staggeringly immature. Their desire to lie, cheat, steal, or whatever to avoid being "dishonored", is absolutely pathetic. So is their outright hatred of every other Asian nation. It's disgraceful. The Chinese are slightly worse, but only among the lower classes. The educated upper classes involved in business or industry are the most depraved lunatics you'll ever meet, even if they only ever smile to your face..because theyre arranging something bad for you the moment you walk away.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Hell, I never came here to read journalism. Journalism died in the mid-nineties... it's a shame when someone tries to pass off fiction as fact.

I would argue it died much longer ago than that.

I don't like fiction being passed off as fact either...that's why it's up to individuals to do the research, NOT headline click bait writers like the people who push out articles on the web. They can't be expected to be accurate or honest, ever, so assume they're not and do your own work.

And whatever you, don't watch televised news. If you don't like fiction being passed as fact, for god sake DON'T watch the news.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Uh it's about as rampant as I've ever seen it, way more so than what I've seen in the U.S. or U.K. Maybe Steve liked that attitude? From his bio he almost SOUNDS Japanese.. They are among the most racist and hateful people on the planet. Their cultural behavior is also staggeringly immature. Their desire to lie, cheat, steal, or whatever to avoid being "dishonored", is absolutely pathetic. So is their outright hatred of every other Asian nation. It's disgraceful. The Chinese are slightly worse, but only among the lower classes. The educated upper classes involved in business or industry are the most depraved lunatics you'll ever meet, even if they only ever smile to your face..because theyre arranging something bad for you the moment you walk away.

Reply deleted . . . this stuff is too obnoxious to deserve a serious answer.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    This is a totally myopic point of view, but any race that gave the world Akira Kurosawa at least did something right!

I have not visited Japan and the quirks I have read about the Japanese online is kinkier than what you'd find for others, but I do not know enough to pass a judgement.

Studying Japan through the social films of Kurosawa (yes, totally myopic), you can see a nation struggling to find its feet after WW2. The original Godzilla (Gojira) was also a statement against nuclear arms.

So while it is wierd that you can find vending machines that dispense used woman's underwear (read that on Cracked!), a country that rose from the ashes of WW2 to become an industrial giant is something to admire.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

It is silly to say Japan has some kind of monopoly on cruel or sexually perverse topics. They are about average in these departments. Human beings are not well behaved anywhere.

Silly is exactly right and so is the conclusion.

Cheers
  • Reply 48 of 49
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brent View Post

I'm just glad they didn't copy the Jap's quality control, or lack there of. every Sony product, and Jap car I've owned have all broken down many times. Mot recently I was talked into a new 2011 Nissan. That thing broken down twice in the first week I had it. A door, a mirror, and a wheel all fell off of it, so at the 6 week mark I was sick of it and bought a VW for $8K less! Like my VW and pervious VWs I've owned, I have yet to have an issue with an Apple product.

Go ahead, give the Huns your money, then.

Did you just step out of 1950 or something?
  • Reply 49 of 49
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

Anyone who still talks about Japanese atrocities in World War II and opine that it reflects on modern-day Japanese society is ignorant. Modern Japan is more akin to a Quaker society.

You won't see the Japanese flag flying over Japanese public schools because the liberal teacher's union forbids it as an ongoing rejection of Japanese nationalism of 70 years ago. (This may have changed as I left eleven years ago after living in Tokyo for seven years.)

In those seven years, I was never once threatened or felt any danger to my personhood at any time, day or night, and walked everywhere, including Kabukicho. I'm not without fear walking down Market Street in San Francisco.

I think this is more or less true. Yes, there are still Japanese ultra-nationalists who whitewash its indisputably horrible 1930s/40s history, but the Japan of today shows how much people and whole cultures can change for the better. All in all I find Japan of today a society that, in many ways, the US could learn from - particularly when it comes to violence, something I rarely if ever encountered on the streets of Nippon even in the nightclub areas at night. And let's not forget that our own country has recently invaded several nations and for decades has propped up some of the worst dictatorships this planet has to offer (i.e Saudi Arabia). I can see why Jobs loved the modern Japanese aesthetic, what's not to like?