Jailbreakers hack iOS on Apple TV to run full-screen iPad apps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Really, guys? Do you really need to wish general ill on people that have done nothing to you? I think it says more about who you really are than the people that you hate.

He started it sir!
  • Reply 22 of 108
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's the last thing I ever want to see.

I could think of a few that I would like as widgets. Of course Lion screwed up the widgets since they go to a new screen instead of overlaying the desktop. I used to use the calculator to add up numbers in an email or web page but now you can't do that any more, at least as far as I know, since the list of numbers is not visible after invoking the widgets. One app in particular that would be helpful is iConvert which I use all the time on my iPhone but it would be quite convenient on the Mac as well. Until I can figure out how to have widgets overlay the desktop in Lion, it is a non issue. Fortunately I'm still on SL for my workstation at the office, using Lion only on my MBP.
  • Reply 23 of 108
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

It's pretty much moot since nearly all people who jailbreak restores their phones to factory settings before taking it to a genius anyway.

No they don't. I have a friend that worked as a Genius up until Aug of this year and he said they get folks in at least once an hour that jailbreak and even unlock their phones and try to act like they didn't. They try to claim they bought it from Apple that way, not knowing that the Geniuses have that information in their system and know that the phone was not bought with an authorized unlock. They try to claim that their brother did it or they bought it second hand and it was already like that and the Geniuses have to tell them that they need to go back to that person and get them to fix it or else all they can do at the store is restore it (without the jailbreak/unlock). Even if it could be a hardware problem they will not swap a phone, iPod touch or iPad that has been jailbroken because that tampering can also cause many problems and first they have to eliminate that issue from the list. If the phone or whatever is restored and the problem still happens, then they can call it hardware defect and swap it
  • Reply 24 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

No they don't. I have a friend that worked as a Genius up until Aug of this year and he said they get folks in at least once an hour that jailbreak and even unlock their phones and try to act like they didn't. They try to claim they bought it from Apple that way, not knowing that the Geniuses have that information in their system and know that the phone was not bought with an authorized unlock. They try to claim that their brother did it or they bought it second hand and it was already like that and the Geniuses have to tell them that they need to go back to that person and get them to fix it or else all they can do at the store is restore it (without the jailbreak/unlock). Even if it could be a hardware problem they will not swap a phone, iPod touch or iPad that has been jailbroken because that tampering can also cause many problems and first they have to eliminate that issue from the list. If the phone or whatever is restored and the problem still happens, then they can call it hardware defect and swap it

I guess I should have said "most in my experience" because all of the people I know who had jailbroken (and ended up having issues go figure?) always restored before heading to the Apple store.
  • Reply 25 of 108
    obamaobama Posts: 62member
    Quote:

That's the last thing I ever want to see.

So does apple. They are doing everything they can to kill the Mac. Real shame.
  • Reply 26 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

So does apple.

I think you want to check my position again.

Quote:

They are doing everything they can to kill the Mac.

Not in the slightest.

Quote:

Real shame.

That you're completely wrong, yeah.
  • Reply 27 of 108
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM

Really, guys? Do you really need to wish general ill on people that have done nothing to you? I think it says more about who you really are than the people that you hate.

i can't imagine somebody burning down my neighbors house or other heinous crimes not getting your dander up.

not even for people who you don't know or will ever know. a blanket "no feelings or revenge" message will never happen. forgive and let live statements are great until they affect your morality despite having no contact.

temporarily forget about humans. just think about animal cruelty. michael vick got away free, basically.
  • Reply 28 of 108
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I hope that he lives in a country where he can be arrested and put in jail for this. Let's see if he can do a REAL "Jailbreak"!

I really don't understand why you would say that... This may be a nice way to used the current version Apple TV after Apple stop supporting it because of a new device.

ATV1 comes to my mind, its out of the loop of new features from Apple. Being able to jailbreak it can give it a new life. And since its no longer on warranty there is no risk of anything.
  • Reply 29 of 108
    Quote:

Denied warranty coverage?

They won't bother with it if you put back Apple official iOS before going to service it. I know someone who did this and it worked.

Imo the reason behind it is Apple doesn't want give support for people who are in trouble because they hack there device.
  • Reply 30 of 108
    drax7drax7 Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I hope you have bad luck all your life.

That is too long a time
  • Reply 31 of 108
    Why can't Apple make it a tv/game console, or just game console out of it? Using some of the similar components as the iPod touch, and iOS, would that be an easy port? New game store, new money stream. All the other digital stores at least break even. What sort of controller would it use? A Wii style controller for those that don't have an iDevice? A iPhone/iPod/iPad screen with customized control?
  • Reply 32 of 108
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    I hope they put out a video of the ATV running a few games. Would be interesting to see if the current hardware can handle some of the better iOS games.

Quote:

I hope that he lives in a country where he can be arrested and put in jail for this. Let's see if he can do a REAL "Jailbreak"!

I'm assuming—hoping—you meant this ironically. If not, that has to be one of the most asinine things I've seen posted to the Internet in a long time.
  • Reply 33 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Why can't Apple make it a tv/game console,

Absolutely no money in consoles. Absolutely no sense in licensing hundreds of existing game developers, and if they DIDN'T (and just went the App Store route) they'd tick off the existing console studios and none of their games would be made for it. It would flop immediately.

Quote:

or just game console out of it?

Don't remember the Pippin, do you?

There's no way that a game console is a good idea.
  • Reply 34 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtDecoDalek View Post

I don't see that this is particularly better than AirPlay mirroring. I guess it'd be a bit useful if you don't have a device that can do that, but it seems like a lot of trouble for not a lot of benefit.

I don't know about you but Airplay mirroring doesn't work very well with graphic intensive games. There is latency, lag and skip frames. I think for this to work seamlessly we will need an A5+ in the ATV or more powerful idevices (A6+) depending on where the bottleneck is.
  • Reply 35 of 108
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

I know you have your fingers in a L shape on your forehead right now.
  • Reply 36 of 108
    Quote:

Absolutely no money in consoles. Absolutely no sense in licensing hundreds of existing game developers, and if they DIDN'T (and just went the App Store route) they'd tick off the existing console studios and none of their games would be made for it. It would flop immediately.

Don't remember the Pippin, do you?

There's no way that a game console is a good idea.

on the other hand I am confident the next ATV will support native gaming apps. So they will indirectly enters the console market. An A6 ATV could give a run for its money to current gaming console in terms of CPU power.
  • Reply 37 of 108
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post

I want to see iApps running on the MACINTOSH !

that's like using one of these:

to transport just one of these:

from the shops.

Easily done but wrong on so many levels.
  • Reply 38 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I thought that was settled law last year? I'm aware Apple after the fact still timidly stated that jailbreaking could void your warranty.

http://www.cultofmac.com/52463/apple...your-warranty/

Has it been officially clarified since last year, or has anyone been denied warranty coverage on a jailbroken iDevice since last June?

Not a big deal but you are wrong about this. A warranty is entirely up to the company and has nothing to do with "the law" per se. They write the warranty, they get to say what's in it and what's not in it. Period.

If Apple wants to void your warranty for jail breaking and if said clause is actually in the warranty when you buy the product then that's it. There is no law that they have to provide a warranty in any certain way, except if they are breaking some other law in the process. It's entirely up to the company.
  • Reply 39 of 108
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not a big deal but you are wrong about this. A warranty is entirely up to the company and has nothing to do with "the law" per se. They write the warranty, they get to say what's in it and what's not in it. Period.

If Apple wants to void your warranty for jail breaking and if said clause is actually in the warranty when you buy the product then that's it. There is no law that they have to provide a warranty in any certain way, except if they are breaking some other law in the process. It's entirely up to the company.

Thanks Professor. I already posted much the same thing back in post #9

". . .jailbreaking is perfectly legal, but Apple can still deny warranty coverage under their terms of service. Makes sense. "
  • Reply 40 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Such unwarranted hate. Arrested for what exactly? There's no wrongdoing here such as offering illegal software for download.

Don't bother. "ConradJoe" is a troll. He actually believes the exact opposite of what his comment says. A typical old, tired, troll tactic.