Apple's internal 'GameStore' iOS testing app mistakenly hits App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An internal testing application for iPhone in-app purchases called "GameStore" has appeared for sale on the App Store by Apple at a cost of 99 cents.

The apparent mistake was caught by German-language website iFun.de, which revealed the error on Monday. The application is still available on the App Store for 99 cents and was released on Dec. 31.

Apple is listed as the official publisher of "GameStore," which is in the Utilities category and is listed as version 1.8. Its brief description reads; "This application allows you to buy different things from within the app."

Within the application is a "Products List" which appears to be used to test the in-app purchase functionality. Users can buy options like "2 Lives" for $2.99, "Awesome Sword" for 99 cents, "Ax" for $19.99, and "Big Gun" for $1.99.

The application also includes a "Shopping Cart," "Payment Q" and "Settings." Though it lacks any content, it is rated for ages 12 and up for "Horror/Fear Themes," "Simulated Gambling," "Profanity or Crude Humor," "Realistic Violence," and "Mature/Suggestive Themes."

The official listing for "GameStore" also includes a link to the Apple website, as it is named as the application's official publisher. The icon is plain white with a cartoon shopping cart in the bottom left corner.

In-app purchases were first introduced with the release of iOS 3.0 in 2009, and the "GameStore" application may have been used by Apple to test that functionality. The purchases were initially restricted to paid "premium" applications, but later in 2009, Apple granted developers the ability to offer in-app purchases in free software.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    GOT IT!

Boo-yah! It's like picking up iDOS before the closing bell!
  • Reply 3 of 34
    I don't get why anyone would want this app?
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

To complete the collection.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

When perusing the App Store, that question occurs to me quite often, in many different categories of software.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    For everyone with an iDevice thre are good news you can get paid apps for free by clicking this link http://m.freemyapps.com/share/... on your iDevice, after what you need to do is download some sponsored apps from this site and you will gain credits, which you can use for getting paid apps for free that are listed in the gift section of this site.(this is totally safe, but beware you must have a us account).
  • Reply 7 of 34
    For no particular reason I bought it too.

There are some curious things in there, things that don't seem right even for an internal app. Products is not spelt right for example.

I was curious to see what would happen if I did restore previous purchases but I could not bring myself to enter myitunes password within the app.

Why does appleinsider think this is a) a mistake b) an internal app

And not

C) the first dodgy spoof to make it in the AppStore

I wonder if apple will refund us, I wonder if i can buy items within it. I am not game to try due to the possibility of option (c).anyone else willing to go beyond the call?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Being that it is listed as being from Apple I doubt it's a spoof that got through. Apple created apps are not likely treated the same way as 3rd party apps in terms of approvals etc. So if an app claiming to be from Apple came through those procedures it would almost certainly get a huge flag and someone verifying if it was an Apple app or someone trying to be cute (and getting rejected when caught).

There have been problems all weekend with store pages not loading, the Apple Store app not loading. I suspect whatever was going on accidentally flipped a switch on this. As of this writing you can see the app but it says it's not available in the US and I bet within the hour the listing will be gone as well
  • Reply 9 of 34
    It's not a fake app from a third party because the publisher is listed as Apple and it seems highly unlikely that anyone other than Apple could get an app in the store using Apple as the publisher name

It's a mistake because the app itself is useless. The purchases you make in the app have no use, there's no object or feature you actually get and can use in a game or on the device. There's no reason for this to be in the wild.

On a side note... what does a relatively obscure version of wheat have to do with the wording in the application? or were you trying to be ironic? ie... spelled, not spelt.

Quote:

For no particular reason I bought it too.

There are some curious things in there, things that don't seem right even for an internal app. Products is not spelt right for example.

I was curious to see what would happen if I did restore previous purchases but I could not bring myself to enter myitunes password within the app.

Why does appleinsider think this is a) a mistake b) an internal app

And not

I wonder if apple will refund us, I wonder if i can buy items within it. I am not game to try due to the possibility of option (c).anyone else willing to go beyond the call?

• Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gerardj View Post

It's a mistake because the app itself is useless. The purchases you make in the app have no use, there's no object or feature you actually get and can use in a game or on the device.

I wonder, provided Apple refunds the app purchase itself, if they'll refund any inadvertent in-app purchases, too.

Quote:

There's no reason for this to be in the wild.

Other than intrigue.

Quote:

On a side note... what does a relatively obscure version of wheat have to do with the wording in the application? or were you trying to be ironic? ie... spelled, not spelt.

Spelt is also correct.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gerardj View Post

I prefer the word, aww darn this is just too funny, dude I am not American.

Spelt and spelled mean the same thing. Curious language aberration I did not know until now.

English is a woeful language. That said I have a curious sentence structure and word use generally.

Back to the thread though. I am still curious to know if you could buy the "useless" in-app purchases; and I reckon if you are going for spoof then why not apple, easily the most trusted, the difficulties are obvious but I am just throwing it in there, the best hack is internal.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

To complete the collection.

So what is it now your app N° 624'128 ?
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

So what is it now your app N° 624'128 ?

I mean of Apple apps.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Guessing it was pulled?

I can't find it.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    No news day.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Guessing it was pulled?

I can't find it.

Appears so. My link doesn't work anymore except to offer an iTunes download. (No thank you)
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Over at TUAW Erica has pulled the app apart...

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/01/02/what-...e-sample-code/

And ends with a curious line

"TUAW reached out directly to the developer we suspect was behind the app upload before it got pulled."
  • Reply 18 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

Over at TUAW Erica has pulled the app apart...

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/01/02/what-...e-sample-code/

And ends with a curious line

"TUAW reached out directly to the developer we suspect was behind the app upload before it got pulled."

If that's what happened (a developer uploading a test app and it was APPROVED??) it would not be a very good reflection on Apple's approval process. I find TUAW's guess on how the app arrived there a little hard to believe.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    I'm not going to speculate on much about this.. but it would be interesting if apple did offer this. I would suspect it has to do with the lodsys patent lawsuits going after developers for using apple's in-app purchasing API.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I wish Apple would offer an option in iOS settings that all my game apps could reside within the GameCenter app so I can keep my system less cluttered and give that icon an actual use as I never check stats.