Apple reportedly planning New York City media event this month

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    hankx32hankx32 Posts: 121member
    Maybe they're buying the New York Yankees?
  • Reply 22 of 51
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Once a year you get a percentage.

First, it's not always once a year. Sometimes it's quarterly. Or 'one time only'.

Second, I don't think I've ever seen a dividend given as a percentage. Rather, the dividend is announced as $1.00 per share for shareholders of record as of a given date. The percentage varies with share price, but the dividend amount does not.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

iWork and iLife '13?

Updated iCloud with Photo Stream editing, Keychain Syncing and the merger of iWork.com and iCloud?

I hope so.

Edit:// I hope even more so they mention Sir Jony, Apple.com is still Knighthood-less.

None of those warrant an event..
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwnorris View Post

NY is a perfect spot to declare a dividend.

Then Eddie Cue wouldn't be involved. It'd be Peter Oppenheimer..
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henniman View Post

they'll be creating the possibility of free iAd partnership. Everyone can start a (limited) campaign for free. Production tools for Mac and iOS available to public in App Store.

This will hurt Google. It will fill the iAd spaces in free apps. More free apps will push iOS hardware sales. The production tools will push the Mac. It will direct more ad business to iOS and lead to followup iAd sales.

If Apple wants to launch a TV platform then they need to fill their ad spaces. The current iAd model did not work out. As no one advertises, there are also no apps offering iAd space. The new iAd will give advertisers direct link to customers. Directly buy, subscribe to something if you want to. Sellers get your name and shipping address.

iAd has been a disappointment because it's expensive and isn't cross-platform only limited to iDevices..
  • Reply 26 of 51
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    I hope they DON'T announce a dividend. Considering the money shareholders make from Apple stock AND the way they treat cancer patients. Dividends should be reserved for companies that have stopped growing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

None of those warrant an event..

All of them thrown together might warrant one.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

OK, I have a stupid question. How do dividends work? Are they paid out to stockholders as of a particular date or does a person have to hold the stock over a certain range of time?

Depends what kind of dividend. Most commonly US companies declare a quarterly dividend of a strict $ value. This is then typically assumed to be the same amount paid out consistently going forward, with the opportunity to increase. It is damaging to decrease an ordinary dividend. You earn the the dividend by holding the stock through the "Ex-Div" date, so you only need hold the stock on the close of a trading day. It is then paid on a later date. Some people trade stocks simply to capture the dividend, holding them for a small time frame. The yield depends on the stock price the day of the ex div date.

Companies also can declare a one time special dividend. This is assumed to happen once, otherwise it works the same as an ordinary dividend.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:

Depends what kind of dividend. Most commonly US companies declare a quarterly dividend of a strict $ value. This is then typically assumed to be the same amount paid out consistently going forward, with the opportunity to increase. It is damaging to decrease an ordinary dividend. You earn the the dividend by holding the stock through the "Ex-Div" date, so you only need hold the stock on the close of a trading day. It is then paid on a later date. Some people trade stocks simply to capture the dividend, holding them for a small time frame. The yield depends on the stock price the day of the ex div date.

Companies also can declare a one time special dividend. This is assumed to happen once, otherwise it works the same as an ordinary dividend.

Thanks. You got to the heart of what I was asking. Specifically, if a dividend was regular, could people buy and sell the stock for the purposes of capturing dividends.

I figured it was something like that, but it seems sort of archaic. You think with everything computerized these days, they could pro-rate the dividend payout depending on what percentage of the dividend period you held the stock...
  • Reply 29 of 51
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. I wouldn't be opposed to the thought of a new non-television Apple TV in that timeframe.

Allowing it to be the flagship product for the A6 chip would certainly put it in the spotlight.

It would be fascinating to see what AppleTV could/would do with the power of A6. For the current device, even the A5 would be an overkill, methinks. But if Eddie C announces something that requires an A6, it must be able to do something that's not possible right now.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

I hope they DON'T announce a dividend. Considering the money shareholders make from Apple stock AND the way they treat cancer patients. Dividends should be reserved for companies that have stopped growing.

Agreed. Furthermore, benefits of dividends are often short term.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

iWork and iLife '13?

Updated iCloud with Photo Stream editing,

Possible

Quote:

Keychain Syncing

If they were going to include that why not do it from the start

Quote:

and the merger of iWork.com and iCloud?

Again, why not from the start

I could also see them mentioning new iTunes features like the complete my season. Slowly build up the service to help push whatever form the next Apple TV takes
  • Reply 32 of 51
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Tim Cook: I'm pleased to announce the release? *changes the slide* of iWork '11!

Ummm... Its 2012.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    tinman0tinman0 Posts: 168member
    It's easier to say what this announcement isn't.

1. It's not updated hardware.

2. It's not new hardware (ipad, tv, etc)

3. It's not updated software.

Reason it's none of the above is because it's too close to Christmas that just went. No one wants to discover that they just bought last years product, whether it's software or hardware.

It's not a tv either because that's a big buck purchase - and guess what we just had? Christmas. So no one has any money for that.

So it'll be something like iAds or magazines/books, or maybe something App Store related. But it's definitely on the developer side of things.

Unless it's financial news, which it could easily be seeing as we are waiting for the last quarters figures, which I'm sure must be due soon.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Ummm... Its 2012.

That's the joke. Everyone's clamoring for iWork '11 and it was never released.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That sounds solid to me.

Then what's the whole "media" part of this announcement?
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That sounds solid to me.

No soup for you.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

The minute they announce a dividend I'm thinking of selling my stock. It will mean innovation has died at Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinman0 View Post

It's easier to say what this announcement isn't.

1. It's not updated hardware.

2. It's not new hardware (ipad, tv, etc)

3. It's not updated software.

Reason it's none of the above is because it's too close to Christmas that just went. No one wants to discover that they just bought last years product, whether it's software or hardware.

It's not a tv either because that's a big buck purchase - and guess what we just had? Christmas. So no one has any money for that.

So it'll be something like iAds or magazines/books, or maybe something App Store related. But it's definitely on the developer side of things.

Unless it's financial news, which it could easily be seeing as we are waiting for the last quarters figures, which I'm sure must be due soon.

Not necessarily, Apple used to do that very thing at Macworld. Announce a product that isn't shipping for a few months. People used to take their machines back and wait a couple of months, back in the day when Macworld SF was healthy and relevant.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:

All of them thrown together might warrant one.

Gods, I'm with you. No dividend for Apple or something has seriously failed to be communicated to management by the late Steve Jobs.

Also, I could see this being some kind of e-publishing effort by Apple. More online tools for authors?
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Thanks. You got to the heart of what I was asking. Specifically, if a dividend was regular, could people buy and sell the stock for the purposes of capturing dividends.

I figured it was something like that, but it seems sort of archaic. You think with everything computerized these days, they could pro-rate the dividend payout depending on what percentage of the dividend period you held the stock...

Yes, stocks such as GE (for example) see large upticks in buys during the announced ownership period, then the stock sells off after the dividend announcement. Unless you are planning on buying millions of dollars of stock, I don't recommend this strategy.